Start by marking “Kristallblau - Magisches Blut (Untitled Duology, #1)” as Want to Read:
Kristallblau - Magisches Blut  (Untitled Duology, #1)

Kristallblau - Magisches Blut

(The Cerulean Duology #1)

»Unser Blut ist magisch. Wir sind die Cerulean.« Diese Sätze hat Sera schon so oft gehört, aber ihre Fragen über die Vergangenheit beantwortet niemand. Sera spürt, dass die Hohepriesterin wie auch ihre Mütter ein Geheimnis hüten. Als sie ausgewählt wird, ihre Welt zu retten, und sich dafür opfern soll, fügt sich Sera dennoch in ihr Schicksal. Doch weder stirbt sie, noch ...more
Published August 14th 2019 by Dragonfly (first published February 5th 2019)

Win a Copy of This Book

The Cerulean
    Release date: Feb 04, 2020
    In honor of THE ALCAZAR coming out March 3, enter for the chance to win a paperback of Book 1, THE CERULEAN!

From New York Times bestselling author Amy

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 5 copies available, 4196 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jan 27 - Feb 24, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Kristallblau - Magisches Blut, please sign up.
    Kirstyn Todd I know, right?? IT'S SO PRETTY OH MY GOSH. I can't even.…moreI know, right?? IT'S SO PRETTY OH MY GOSH. I can't even. (less)
    Olivia This is definitely fantasy.…moreThis is definitely fantasy. (less)

Start your review of Kristallblau - Magisches Blut (Untitled Duology, #1)
    Emily May
    “You are not like other girls, Agnes McLellan.”
    “No,” she said. “I’m not.”

I really dislike giving 1 star reviews. I usually try to find something good about a book to justify bumping it up to 2. I gave The Cerulean every chance to change my mind and I kept reading right to the end, but I really didn't enjoy this book at all. It's not just one thing, but a combination of many different things that didn't work for me.

I was drawn in by the promise of an all-female sapphic society where each girl
    Savannah Holland
    DNF @ 50%
    - One Of the coolest worlds/concepts ive ever read BUT
    - NEVER IN MY LIFE HAVE I BEEN QUEER BATED SO HARD
    - THE MC IS THE ONLY STRAIGHT GIRL IN HER ENTIRE CULTURE OF POLY LESBIANS
    - THERE IS ANOTHER LESBIAN MC BUT SHES “NOT LIKE OTHER GIRLS” THIS IS LITERALLY A LINE IN THE BOOK
    -DISHONOR ON U AND UR COW
    - THIS CONCEPT DESERVED BETTER. WE DESERVED BETTER

I'm also updating on Dec 7 bc I realized I never mentioned the blatant racism bc i was so wrapped up in the homophobia. But yeah the brown
    Lea (drumsofautumn)
    Jan 25, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: dnf
    I strongly believe in not rating DNFs but man, I skimmed enough of this book and I need y'all to pay attention to this mess.

This story is about a STRAIGHT girl, part of a species that doesn't even have males. She grew up in a polyam sapphic society.
    Due to circumstances she gets to this other planet and sees males for the first time. AND OF COURSE she's actually been attracted to "males" all this time. IT LITERALLY DOESN'T EVEN MAKE SENSE.
    "This was attraction. She wanted this male, the way she
    Tori Kiersten Frost
    DNF at p. 391 of 483

The title character is the only straight girl from an all-lesbian alien society. She has a straight coming-out scene. No, really.

Oh, and her all-lesbian society decides she needs to be ritually murdered in order to save their floating city. Which definitely does not play into homophobic fears about queer people being dangerous to children or anything.

I gave this an honest try because I wanted to make sure the MC in question wasn't a bi or ace character being misrepresented in
    Hamad
    This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

“Males looked sort of like females, except they had no breasts and were taller and hairier and meaner.”

Time to confess that I primarily requested this book because of it’s cover and because I thought it was a standalone (We need more Fantasy Standalones). I liked the synopsis initially but after a few weeks of requesting this I started to have second thoughts and started to lose interest in the synopsis!

That being
    Kiki
    Oct 14, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    I'm really interested in this but the plot sounds so unrealistic lmao. The people live in "a Sapphic utopia" and yet the heroine questions it?

Ahahahahah why?
    Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
    What I appreciate most about Ewing is her abundance of cool concepts. I loved the society she created in her Lone City trilogy, and the one conceived here was just as interesting (and even more outside the box). Concept was definitely the biggest draw here for me and easily the main reason I kept reading until the end.

Unfortunately, with that cool concept came not a whole lot of substance as far as plot was concerned. Most of the scenes featured extensive explanations about the world (which I
    Lala BooksandLala
    Sep 23, 2016 marked it as on-my-radar  ·  review of another edition
    wtf this is the weirdest sounding plot! haha
    Tucker
    Jan 05, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: reviewed
    Edit (5): that does it, i'm gonna email the editor

Edit (4): I got to meet Amy last week. She's super funny and nice. buttttttt.... THIS IS STILL AN UN-F*CKING-TITLED DUOLOGY!!!!!!!!!!! HARPERCOLLINS ARE YOU OKAY?

Edit (3): Stillll untitled duology.

Edit (2): It's officially published and STILL UNTITLED DUOLOGY.

Edit: It's still untitled. COME ON HARPERCOLLINS SHAKE A LEG

This book comes out in a month and it's still an untitled duology.

GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER PEOPLE

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest |
    Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
    "The Cerulean tells the story of Sera, who lives in a Sapphic utopia where all women have three mothers and a young woman is chosen every 100 years to be abandoned on the planet below as a sacrifice."

Oookaaaaay.

description

Why not?
    Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell
    God, THE JEWEL was such an outrageous clusterfuck that I feel obligated to read this and report back after chronicling that first saga of um-wtf-is-going-on-here.

I see that this is promoting itself as a Sapphic society but I'm having visions of GATE TO WOMEN'S COUNTRY meets ROMEO AND JULIET, so let's not hold our collective breaths just yet
    Seema Rao
    Feb 03, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    Books are part of society. Writers don't get to step out of our norms, and they need to conscientious about the inadvertent racism and homophobia their stories suggest. This is not a world where your book can just be. There is no world like that. When you share racism and homophobia, you are complicit. This book is definitely not for any queer POC reader (or really for any conscientious citizen of the world.)

Seema Rao Write : Instagram| Blog| Twitter|
    chloe
    Feb 04, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: hard-pass
    why do straight ppl wanna be oppressed so bad ??? get a hobby
    Emily (emilykatereads)
    This is officially the biggest disappointment of 2019, and it's only a month in.

Can someone explain to me why this book has been hyped as a sapphic utopia for so long so, and now the official blurb has nothing about this sapphic world, and what we're actually getting is a boring fantasy about a straight girl???

Oh I know, it's so this book gets all the credit of being diverse and giving us a glimpse of this poly sapphic society of all magical woman in the beginning of the book, but then gives us
    Hannah Greendale
    DNF at page 100.
    Celia McMahon
    Thank you to Edelweiss and Harper for the E-ARC.

Okay. *deep, ragged breaths* What in the world did I just read?

There may be some spoilers so read at your own risk.

First off, we have one of those apparent protagonists. She doesn't quite fit in. She wonders about things she shouldn't be wondering about. She doesn't like girls they way others do-

I'll back up.

Sera lives in a floating city in space. I have dubbed this place, Floaty City. That is the jist of it. Her society is made up entirely of
    Kayla
    Dec 05, 2018 marked it as pile-of-shame  ·  review of another edition

I GOT AN ARC FROM EDELWEISS

EDELWEISS ACTUALLY APPROVED ME FOR AN ARC AND IT'S FOR ONE OF MY MOST ANTICIPATED RELEASES OF THE YEAR

for the record this comes out jan 29 not feb 5
    Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
    description
    Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Sera has always felt as if she didn’t belong among her people, the Cerulean. She is curious about everything and can’t stop questioning her three mothers, her best friend, Leela, and even the High Priestess. Sera has longed for the day when the tether that connects her City Above the Sky to the earthly world below finally severs and sends the Cerulean to a new planet. But when Sera is chosen as the sacrifice to break the tether, she doesn’t
    Charlotte
    Feb 10, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    if you’re tired of Straight authors queer baiting and trying to pull a “what if your love was ILLEGAL? 1 like = 1 prayer” clap your hands

mandela effect hit me so hard because i literally thought this was published in 2017 during the height of my bookstagram life yet it came out january 2019?? i apparently have no ability whatsoever to conceptualize time and the memory of dory from finding nemo y’all
    Edward
    Feb 05, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: fantasy-read, ya-read
    Boring at best; homophobic and racist at worst. It's such a shame. The cover is so pretty. "Don't judge a book by its cover" never gets old.
    Anna 'Bookbuyer'
    This was a 4.5 for me. Review to come.

Okay so this is my first time writing a non spoiler review. Not sure if it will still contain spoilers so I'll caution any readers now.

Sera was an amazing MC. I absolutely loved her. I loved her so much I couldn't see any flaws in her but she was also not a Mary Sue character. Take from that what you will.

There were a lot of POV's in this book and that is one of the main reasons it got knocked down from a 5 to a 4 1/2. While I do deem it essential I don't
    Biz
    Jan 01, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    read this book for kicks this past week and it's just as bad as everyone says and I can't say anything that hasn't been said already, but this book was so terrible and tone-deaf that I thought I was hallucinating or some shit.

Legitimately I would not have been surprised if I got to the end and the last paragraph said "wouldn't it be fucked up if this was real? I'm rod sterling and you're watching the twilight zone"

Would not recommend this book to anyone unless you're a cishet author trying to
    Melissa
    I was fortunate to have an early copy of this book from HarperCollins Canada. Thank you for this!! I was psyched when I received it, because the synopsis was so promising, and I really liked the book!

The story is told from four different characters point of view, enabling us to know the thoughts of Agnes, Leo, Sera and Leena. It touches different kinds of love, as well as different kinds of magic. Everything is unfolding very fast in the second part of the book, so much that I was constantly
    Avery
    Jan 31, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    Fuck you and your stupid fucking straight bullshit...
    Also screw your racism
    Carrie (The Butterfly Reader)
    So, I didn't even know this was a thing until everyone was dogging it on twitter. When I saw that it was triggering people, I just had to read it and oh boy, do I have my opinion to share. Because I read the book, I didn't just go off what someone else said because I'm a thinking human with my very own brain! Shocking in today's world when some take another's review as their own opinion without even reading the damn book themselves.

Anyway, rant over. Let's talk about the book.

This book follows
    Amanda
    Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    You can also read my review here: https://devouringbooks2017.wordpress....

The Cerulean is a fantasy that I tried really hard to get an advanced review copy of because I loved Amy Ewing’s previous series. I was so thrilled when I got a copy from Edelweiss. The cover s absolutely stunning and I really liked Amy Ewing’s first two books in The Lone City series, so I went in with super high expectations. I am pleased to say that it was not a disappointing read.

I loved the characters. Sera was
    Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

One thing I must say about this book, before we get into its entirety, is that the first say, 15% had me crying, smiling, in awe... and then lots more crying but look, emotions are good! I was in freakinglove with this magical world in the sky. In. Love. And okay, I don't read synopses before starting a book, but some of the stuff is easy to predict regardless. That was okay, it didn't
    Amanda
    Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    *review to come*

• Cogito
    • The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)
    • Les 7 vies de Léo Bellamy
    • Bloodleaf (Bloodleaf, #1)
    • The Tiger at Midnight (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy, #1)
    • Four Dead Queens
    • L'Arrache-mots
    • Ashes Falling for The Sky 2
    • The Black Coats
    • Wen die Geister lieben (Heaven's End, #1)
    • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
    • Izzy + Tristan
    • Circle of Shadows (Circle of Shadows, #1)
    • Crown of Feathers (Crown of Feathers, #1)
    • Sky Without Stars (System Divine, #1)
    • Engrenages et Sortilèges
    • The Queen's Resistance (The Queen’s Rising, #2)
    • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
    Amy Ewing is the young adult author of The Jewel, the first in a trilogy from HarperTeen, coming out September 2014.

She grew up in a small town outside Boston, where her librarian mother instilled a deep love of reading at a young age. Amy moved to New York City in 2000 to study theater at New York University. Unfortunately, her acting career didn’t quite pan out. She worked in restaurants, as an

The Cerulean Duology (2 books)
    • The ​Alcazar (The Cerulean Duology, #2)