Start by marking “The Player's Protégé (Campus Connections, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Player's Protégé (Campus Connections, #2)

The Player's Protégé

(Campus Connections #2)

When his friends bet cynical Jerry that he can’t turn sweet Arlo into a player, Jerry might win the bet but lose his heart.

College senior Jerry Helstrom survived a gay childhood in Texas by being fierce and fabulous. At school he’s known as a player and has kept his heart so guarded that he’s forgotten he has one. When his friends bet him he can’t teach inexperienced Arlo
Published June 7th 2019 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about The Player's Protégé, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Player's Protégé

Start your review of The Player's Protégé (Campus Connections, #2)
True Loveislovereview
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, lgbtq
Such a lovely new adult story.

Sitting in a bar with some drinks, Jerry is challenged by his friends to take the shy Arlo under his wing and turn him into a player.

Arlo is a farm boy and he looks a bit too casual for Jerry’s eyes, he is nothing Jerry desires. It should be a piece of cake to turn him into a player, Jerry knows everything about that. Arlo is kind, inexperienced, and sort of a sweet caring guy and desperate in need for some help after his breakup with his boyfriend.

Arlo has all the
Sandra
This is the 2nd book in the author's Campus Connections series, and while continuing the time line from book 1, this novella is perfectly readable as a standalone. (though why you'd skip the first one, I dunno)

Anyway, this book is all about Jerry Helstrom, whom we met in the first book as Eric's best friend/ex-boyfriend/fake boyfriend), and who came across as a bit cynical to me. Not someone who believed in love for himself, being a total player (and totes upfront about it with everyone he takes
Joyfully Jay
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sammy
A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

The Player’s Protege is the second book in the Campus Connections series, but easily enjoyable on its own.

It’s clear, early on, that Arlo is into Jerry and finds him more than worthy in terms of boyfriend material. Once Jerry is able to see the depth of Arlo’s attraction, and examine his own hang-ups about relationships, he can tack charge of his destiny, rather than watching from the sidelines. It’s a really cute, light New Adult romance with a taste of sexytimes.
namericanwordcat
There is a lot of tropey fun in this New Adult romance between Jerry and Arlo.

We get makeovers and opposites attract and sexual tutoring. Arlo is lovely and I really wish the book had been told from dual point of view because I have theories that Arlo was after Jerry the whole time and there would have been a joy to the book to contrast the points of view of our two very different heros.

The build up to Jerry realizing he is in love is good but he goes from resisting to accepting way to fast and
Lillian Francis
Jun 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: filed
This was a fun novella. Jerry is a super sassy bitch who guards his heart behind cutting quips and sarcasm. Schooling sweet innocent farm boy Arlo in the ways of gay hookups should be easy. Except Arlo is hot and sexy, as well as caring, and hung like a stallion. When the lines of their agreement get blurred, Jerry's walls start to crumble and he falls hard.
Endearing leads. Can be read as a standalone. But there is plenty of Eric and Will for those who have read the first book.
Recommended
Celine
Jun 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very nice story

This was a very nice story, even better than the first one.

I liked Jerry and Arlo. They are quite opposites but perfect for each other. The self discovery they do in this book was very cute.

Very sweet short story that is leaving you with a smile
Jamie Lee Zonneveld
The Player's Protégé is the second book in the Campus Connection series by CJane Elliott. I really liked the story of Jerry and Arlo.
Calila
*Received A Copy To Review From The Author*

I really liked this couple. A lot. I love that there was ZERO misunderstanding between them. I feel like that trope got subverted and I am a fan of that. Big time. There were some iffy moments at first with Jerry just being a jerk to Arlo for no reason, but that ends pretty quickly and he apologizes so it's easy to let that go. I really liked seeing a bit of family time with both of their families. It's enough to get a clear picture of the dynamic in su
Natosha Wilson
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet love story about one man who wants more experience sexually and another man that takes him on as a student to teach him to come into his own. Th problem is that the teacher ends up becoming the student and the student, well he had his own set of ideas about what he wanted his love life to look like and it was not what his teacher had laid out for him.

Jerry is a senior in college and one of the biggest players on campus. He is not mean about it. He lets everyone know up front he i
Sarah McDerment
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5, rounded up to 4*
I read this book without reading the first book in the Campus Connection's series. Although the characters from both books are interlocked it was very easy to follow along with. I would say this book could definitely be read as a standalone. I'm going to go back and read book 1 though because I really liked Will and Eric's characters, so I wouldn't mind getting to know the story of how they got together.

Jerry is a player, he's self assured and confident in his own skin. He
Xanthe
May 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am really enjoying this series! As I said in my review of book one, it kind of makes me think of a soap opera/teen drama with how things play out for the characters.
Jerry and Arlo are very different men but who work so well together. They get off to a rocky start as Jerry lets his queen B side out but once that's smoothed over, they really develop a good connection, even if Jerry never meant to. It takes him a long time to open up to the possibility of something more between them and a push f
Mari  Cardenas
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

I didn't read the first book in the series and had no trouble reading this one as a standalone, although it seems the series follows a group of college friends, so it might make for a better experience to read them in order.

Arlo was adorable and sweet and all kinds of sexy once he put his mind to it. While I liked Arlo well enough, I was disappointed we didn't get his POV, especially since it took me a long time to warm up to Jerry. Jerry was just so jaded and cynical for being a 21-22
Amy Dufera
May 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

The Player's Protege is the second book in CJane Elliott's Campus Connections series. Ends up this is a sweet story of two men who slowly fall in love during their sexual relationship.

Jerry agrees to mentor Arlo on his sexual side. I really enjoy the little things that bring out the emotions throughout their time together. There's gentleness and understanding through their sexual interactions. And then there are some sweet and tender conversations that really bring the men together. It
Janet Hunt
May 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Short story but good. Jerry is doing a favor for a friend to help Arlo get some experience. But it backfires and Jerry starts falling for Arlo. Arlo had only been with one person in all his experiences. He needed to learn to ask for what he wanted, and he wanted Jerry. This was a cute, short story. I loved how all the side characters from the first story was in this one and played a good size role. I loved Jerry's snark and Arlo’s sweetness. Definitely recommend!

I am voluntarily leaving a review
Kitt
Jun 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a fun, quick read from CJane Elliot. It's low angst fun, and Jerry and Arlo are such great characters. I said it after I read the first book in the series, and I'll say it again, this author really knows how to capture that fresh, awkward, learning, experiencing atmosphere that is the hallmark of the college years. Her characters are so sweet and wonderful you can't help nut fall in live with them. I am looking forward to more in this series.

I received an ARC and am voluntarily leaving t
Valerie
May 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I enjoyed getting to know Jerry and his no nonsense side in the first book, he starts off in his own book as a bit of a jerk. He's doesn't want to settle down and when he's asked by Tyrone to mentor Arlo, a farmer's son who is getting his business degree to help out at home, Jerry balks. Even to the point he's rude. But as Jerry gets to know Arlo, who is sweet and trusting, he feels protective of him. But as Arlo becomes more confident, Jerry realizes he might not want to be the player ...more
Kelsie ♡
Jun 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: just-plain-bad
Not my cup of tea at all. One MC is totally catty and rude while the other is practically a doormat. It read very cheesy to me. It seemed like everyone was a caricature of some classic trope. “The bitchy gay” “the aw shucks nice guy” the “mushy over the top in love couple” “the best friend who knows better”. Which is whatever, tropes can be good, but there was no development at all. Totally one dimensional.

I skimmed the last 25% cause I just wanted to be done. If it had been longer it would’ve
E.Muddle
May 29, 2020 rated it liked it
I loved Jerry in the first book, the Kinsey Scale, and was excited to get his story. Jerry is out and proud, fierce and fabulous, and I had so much respect for his self-confidence and the way he tries to help Arlo with his. But Jerry also needs to learn a few things and turns out Arlo is the perfect person to teach him how to take a chance on his heart. Like the first in the series, this is a cute and sweet read, and after Jerry stops trying to deny that Arlo is everything he wants, they get a l ...more
Melanie
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words Review
Rating 4 stars out of 5
for the full review visit https://wp.me/p220KL-gUU

From that review: The Player's Protégé by CJane Elliott is the second story in the author's Campus Connections series and another winner in my estimation.  I forget how much great characterizations and story plot this author can cram into a novettle but here again in 93 pages Elliot manages it again.

For all our reviews, visit http://scatteredthoguhtsandroguewords...
Rachwithheadinabook
The second book in series is that little bit better, it is also Jerry’s story, the fabulous, sassy independent Jerry, that takes on a bet that gets him a prize, he never expected. This one is still soap opera-esque, but this book has plenty of feels and sexiness, if only it was longer, I believe that more of the trips home could’ve been told. This is however an enjoyable read characters from the previous book all there and in fact it’s Ty’s turn next, I have higher hopes as each book appears to ...more
Denise GremoryKohta
What a good read.

It was great to learn more about Jerry. Arlo took him completely by surprise. Seeing Jerry get flustered was too cute. You could tell from the start that Arlo was getting to him. Getting more insight on his and Eric’s past was something I hoped for. I knew there had to be some hidden reasons to them ending up just friends. I hope we get Tyrone’s story. He seriously needs his ONE.
Shannon Tolen
May 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another short but fun college campus romance! This time we get to see Jerry, Eric’s best friend/ex from book 1, find his match. Like with The Kinsey Scale, this book was well written but seemed shorter than it could have been (it seemed a bit forced/quick). Despite that, the characters and their story were great and this is a fun and entertaining read.
Edga
May 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fun romance

Three and a half stars for this second book in the series. It's a feel good read, with a couple of MCs who are totally mismatched, but somehow work. It's the story the fabulous Jerry, a real player and the sexually inexperienced Arlo, who needs a makeover in all areas of his life. When these two opposites are brought together, there are real sparks. Sparks which Jerry didn't expect, and doesn't really know how to cope with the situation he finds himself in. What follows is a fun, easy
Kellie
Jun 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Arlo had only been with one ex-boyfriend and he is shy but wants to learn how to get want he wants and asks Jerry an outgoing player to help him.

Both characters grow and develop throughout this short story. Jerry is all snark and Arlo is all sweet they both complement each other. I definitely recommend this book!
Dawn
May 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Adventure

This was so good it is book two in the series and was a great addition. The storyline is intriguing and exciting full of lots of adventure. The characters Jerry and Arlo are amazing together and teach each other. Hope there is more to come.
Chancellor Fangirl
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance
Sweet and sexy story about a college senior accidentally falling for the inexperienced younger man he's trying to turn into a player. Enjoyable, quick read that worked well without having read the first story in the series.
Shawna
Jul 29, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, m-m, novella, ku
Professor Jerry Higgins doth protest too much, but this was a mostly enjoyable romp.
Amy Stauffer
Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtqia-plus, arcs
Masks; we all wear them on occasion. Jerry’s mask is worn because he refuses to be like his father. He holds himself back from relationships, touchy feely stuff, and allowing people near his heart. His mask is one of a player, and indifference. When asked to help a fellow classmate come out of his shell, he only agrees when they make a bet. It was that moment that set forth a new path for Jerry, only he didn’t know it.

This was such a cute story. No matter how many times Jerry slipped his mask o
Jumi
Feb 26, 2020
Kristy
Jul 12, 2020

• Secret Admirer
  • Falling for the Geek (His Best Friend's Brother, #1)
  • Just Friends (Never Just Friends, #1)
  • When I Met Rider
  • The New Normal (Gold Coast Collage, #1)
  • Murphy's Law (Havenwood #2)
  • Project Hero
  • Untamed Desire
  • Longing (Unexpected Attraction, #2)
  • Little Infinities (Love by Chance #1)
  • Freedom (F-Word, #5)
  • Better Be Sure (Harrison Campus, #1)
  • The Soldier and the Angel
  • Of Paper and Wood
  • Angelo (The Marchesi Family #2)
  • His Courage (Unexpected Love #3)
  • Forbidden Friend (His Best Friend's Brother, #2)
  • Flat Whites & Chocolate Fish (Southern Lights #3)
After years of hearing characters chatting away in her head, CJANE ELLIOTT finally decided to put them on paper and hasn’t looked back since. A psychotherapist by training, CJane enjoys writing sexy, passionate stories that also explore the human psyche. CJane has traveled all over North America for work and her characters are travelers, too, traveling down into their own depths to find what they ...more

Campus Connections (3 books)
  • The Kinsey Scale (Campus Connections, #1)
  • The Dancer's Dilemma (Campus Connections, #3)

News & Interviews