Start by marking “Here for It: Or, How to Save Your Soul in America; Essays” as Want to Read:
Here for It: Or, How to Save Your Soul in America; Essays

Here for It: Or, How to Save Your Soul in America; Essays

From the creator of Elle 's "Eric Reads the News," a poignant and hilarious memoir-in-essays about growing up seeing the world differently, finding his joy, and every awkward, extraordinary stumble along the way.

R. Eric Thomas didn't know he was different until the world told him so. Everywhere he went—whether it was his rich, mostly white, suburban high school, his
Published February 18th 2020 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about Here for It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here for It

Start your review of Here for It: Or, How to Save Your Soul in America; Essays
Christine Guidera
Sep 20, 2019 marked it as to-read
I have not read this book and it does not matter. it's already perfect. Eric is a god.
Taylor Noel
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Joyful, deeply felt, and intensely funny, this is a book for everyone who has ever struggled with marginalization, self-acceptance, or just the nagging sense of being at odds with the world. Eric's writing is alternatingly laugh-out-loud funny and deeply introspective. Loved every word and highly recommend.
Dominic
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, nonfic
I'm totally here for *Here for It (Or, How to Save Your Soul in America)*! Hitting streets this week (2.18.2020), this collection of essays is honest & funny & unflinchingly hopeful at a time of almost continual bleakness in our country.

R. Eric Thomas gives us an antidote to that boiling desire to just give the hell up already. And he *does* make me not want to give up. Partly because there is plenty of struggle in these pages. Partly because his references to pop culture throughout the
Truce
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Not to heap so much on a single book, but this memoir/collection of essays helped me through a rough time, saved my life, and cleared my skin. This was hilarious and hopeful from the very first page and it was everything I needed to read in this already exhausting election year.

I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
🌈⭐️RoseOfRainbows⭐️🌈💕
Absolutely inspiring and utterly heartwarming. I’m in awe of the talents of this author. 5/5 stars for one of the best books I’ve read this year.
Erik
Jan 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt, poc-authored
A thoughtful, though at times disjointed, collection of essays following the trajectory of his own life, "Here For It" is R. Eric Thomas' take on life in the United States as a black, gay, Christian man.

This memoir tells the life story of its author through snippets of thoughtful engagement with history, politics, and pop culture. From stories about growing up black in Baltimore, gay in New York, and black and gay in Philly, each essay is a little bite of a broader conversation about the ways in
Amy
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Here For It by R. Eric Thomas was exactly what I needed right now. I have always loved humor writing but had wandered away from it for some time. Thomas reminded me why I love it so much with his approach to making the terrible twist into something comical. He has a way of turning everything from politics to his love-life and everything in between from horrible to hilarious all while keeping the heart in each story. I found myself cringing at his all-to-relatable awkward adventures while also ...more
Jessika
Jan 28, 2020 rated it liked it
ARC provided in exchange for an honest review.

R. Eric Thomas has an exuberant voice that is bombastic and enthusiastic. So much personality, but without much direction to this book, it began to wear. I suggest reading this a few essays at a time rather than trying to power through--you'll enjoy it much more.
Melinda
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I only knew the author from his funny Elle essays (which I love) so I was taken aback by how emotional and poignant some of the pieces in this book turned out to be. I really enjoyed this.
I absolutely loved this warm, funny, not-too-serious but still smart and thoughtful collection of essays. I actually found it somewhat unique as far as essay collections go--it's not at all straight-up humor, and it's definitely not straight-up analysis/cultural critique. It's not academic at all, and though it's mostly personal, its scope is broader than just here's-what-happened-to-me essays. Essentially, it falls somewhere in the middle of all of that, and is just so well done. Thomas is ...more
Kayla Mckinney
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
In "Here for it," R. Eric Thomas chronicles his journey into writing for the internet and finding an authentic voice. Alongside this, he also takes the reader on a tour of how success works, what to do when the American dream seems to fail (make jokes, the dangers of the suburbs, crushes, legacy, family, restaurant work, Krampus, Easter egg hunting, and the dream of what American can be -- and he makes you laugh through just about every minute of it.

I often respect authors and love to learn
Erin
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I won this copy in a Goodreads giveaway.

I read R. Eric Thomas' Elle.com newsletter every week. It has been a bright spot in my Monday mornings for well over a year. I don't think I've ever read a column that didn't at least make me chuckle, and sometimes there is a bittersweet edge to his observations that never overwhelm the humor, because it is a comic newsletter after all.

But the bittersweet takes a lot of moments in this book, and I loved it. The only criticism I have of this book is that I
Matthew
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Disclosure: I received a free early unproofed copy in a Goodreads giveaway.

There is an old joke in computer programming that the hardest part of any project is naming things. Likewise, the challenge of titling a book seems well beyond my abilities. I was continuously surprised at the text of Here for It, not because I didn't know the writer's style—R. Eric Thomas is a witty writer who fills his writing with hilarious asides and pop culture references— or because it wasn't good—the essays within
Jenny GB
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway
I received a free copy of this book through a Goodreads Giveaway. Thank you!

First, I didn't know who R. Eric Thomas was before winning this book. It looked like fun so I requested to win it and I have not been disappointed. In addition to reading this book, I also went and read some of Thomas' columns and generally just had a good time. It's been a while since I laughed this much reading a book. At the same time, Thomas is going to make you think about now with hope while still acknowledging
Alissa
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir, netgalley
NOTE: I received a free advanced reader copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

First, if you do not follow R. Eric Thomas on Facebook (or your social media of choice) and read his elle.com column, stop what you're doing and start following immediately. His columns are consistently laugh-out-loud funny. Which is why I requested an ARC of his forthcoming book.

Now, as for the book itself, I really enjoyed getting to know more about Eric. But be forewarned - while entertaining, this
Smileitsjoy (JoyMelody)
I received this book from the publishers in exchange for an honest review.

I was really let down in the book. I was super excited to read and get to learn more about Thomas.
He is a great writer. He is funny and his life is very interesting; however, this book lacked quite a bit of direction which was really frustrating at times. (all of the time). I felt like I was left hanging with too many of the essays.
I reallllly wanted to give this book 4-5 stars but I couldn't do that honestly.
I do
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was just lovely. R. Eric Thomas is the best thing to happen to the internet. His facebook posts and work for Elle always make me laugh out loud (and I'm normally the kind of person who says 'that's funny' instead of laughing). I started this book expecting a group of lighthearted, humorous essays. Instead it is a vulnerable, heartfelt memoir about his struggles with his identity.... that is also laugh-out-loud funny. 5 stars!
Thanks to NetGalley for an advanced readers copy.
caitlin
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review copy courtesy of Edelweiss.

Much like his enjoyable columns and hilarious Twitter account, this collection of essays will have you chuckling and laughing along with Thomas. My one complaint was I thought the essays would be more sequential so at times I felt like I needed a guide to know what part of his life he was writing about. Otherwise he is a wonderful, funny voice that can challenge David Sedaris for engaging essays.
Dara (Dara Reads OK)
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Netgalley/ARC

I adored this book. I actually had to cover my mouth laughing out loud reading it in public. R. Eric Thomas is one of my favorite writers on the internet. His email roundup of his Elle.com column etc. is one of my weekly highlights. Writing at the intersection of being a black, gay man married to a minister, this group of essays covers everything from the silly to the sacred and brought a tear or two to my eyes.
Kate Grace
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This brilliantly-written essay collection made me, by turns, laugh out loud and tear up. It always challenged me to consider WHY we craft and consume stories.

I’m excited for this writing to have a wider audience following its winter 2020 publication.

Thank you to R. Eric Thomas, Ballantine Books, and Goodreads Giveaways for my advance reader copy.
Jennifer P
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I got a free copy of this book through a Goodreads Giveaway, which was awesome because I’m going to have to buy the Audible Edition so I can listen to it too. That’s right, I’m already planning to buy the book I just finished reading for free. It’s that good. It’s funny, charming, wise, and really just lovely. Enjoy!
Caitlin Hannah
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I've long enjoyed R. Eric Thomas's work, so when I saw his memoir on NetGalley, I jumped at the chance to read and review. I was not disappointed. I don’t think I have ever laughed out loud so much while reading a book. Of course this was going to be funny. But it was also whip-smart, honest, poignant, and didn’t shy away from some tough topics. It’s utterly enjoyable yet thought-provoking. Whatever your background or your reality, I’d bet most of us will find something to relate to in this ...more
Stephanie
Jan 29, 2020 marked it as to-read
Goodreads rec
Emilie
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a delight! Hilarious, hopeful, and moving... exactly what we all need right now.
Kathleen Kirchner

• Real Life
  • The Gravity of Us
  • In the Dream House
  • Beautiful on the Outside
  • The Great Pretender: The Undercover Mission That Changed Our Understanding of Madness
  • I Know You Know Who I Am
  • Such a Fun Age
  • My Autobiography of Carson McCullers
  • Something That May Shock and Discredit You
  • Building a Life Worth Living: A Memoir
  • You Look Like a Thing and I Love You: How Artificial Intelligence Works and Why It's Making the World a Weirder Place