Start by marking “Midnight's Curse: A Cinderella Retelling (Beyond the Tales Book 2)” as Want to Read:
Midnight's Curse: A Cinderella Retelling (Beyond the Tales Book 2)

Midnight's Curse: A Cinderella Retelling

(Beyond the Tales #2)

High King Alexander rules the Seven Kingdoms of Tallahatchia—a divided nation on the brink of yet another war. When an invitation arrives from the king of Pohatomie, Alex knows it must be a trap, but could it also be his opportunity to unite the kingdoms?

Daemyn Rand has lived a hundred years, served an arrogant prince, fallen in love with a princess, and lost himself som
Published August 4th 2019 by Sword & Cross Publishing

Start your review of Midnight's Curse: A Cinderella Retelling (Beyond the Tales Book 2)
R.F. Gammon
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tricia Mingerink has always been one of my favorite authors of all time, and this latest book of hers does NOT disappoint. I still think I prefer the Blades of Acktar series to this one, but Dagger's Sleep and Midnight's Curse has such complex and beautiful characters, and the setting is BRILLIANT. So now I should probably write a proper review...

In terms of characters, Alex is one of the least likable and yet most likable characters I've ever read about. He's one of those deeply complex and won
Merie Shen
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Okay, so first of all... this was THE most unique take on Cinderella I've ever read, I think. No kidding, Cinderella retellings are definitely hard to pull off since there are soooo many of them out there, but Tricia Mingerink truly outdid herself in this second installment in her Beyond the Tales series. But I'm definitely not giving anything away, so this review is safe to read.

Where to begin? This book really wowed me, to be honest. Book one, Dagger's Sleep, didn't have the same impact on me
Joey T
Feb 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Welp. The end was A LOT better than I anticipated. But we still have the cringe beginning so that was fun.
RTC

OKAY. THIS will be FUUUUN.
And I’m in a weird mood rn so that’s fun for y’all.

Okay okay okay okay *deep breath*

Imma just start-

Likes:

The characters: most, at least. I feel like in this one, most of them started to actually take on some personality. In the first(and partially in the beginning of this one), everyone felt stale and flat and boring and just overall like... why? But I liked R
Shantelle
Loved it! You seriously don't want to miss this fairy tale retellings series from our very own Tricia Mingerink! She makes them so exciting. *grins* Can hardly wait for Book Three!
Abigail
This was so! good! Back when I read Dagger's Sleep, I highly anticipated the next installment, because GOSH Tricia is good at retellings. As a huge fan of the Grimm story, I loved every little nod to the original, and there were a lot of those! Fun little Easter eggs were sprinkled all through the story, but it was still a completely original take.
My one complaint of the first book was that the world was hard to get into but not so in this second book! Maybe that's because I was already a litt
Allyson
I recently had the privilege of reviewing Tricia Mingerink's newest fairy tale retelling, Midnight's Curse, a loose retelling of Cinderella with an endearing twist. I absolutely adored this retake on the beloved classic! <3

Highlights:

Daemyn
Just like the first book, Dagger's Sleep, Daemyn is my favorite character. He is incredibly sweet, respectful, and logical while still having enough faults to come off as realistic.

Alex's Character Arc
While I thought the High Prince had a strong arc in book on
R.J. Rodda
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just loved this. A very different Cinderella retelling that includes all our favorite characters from the previous book ‘A Dagger’s Sleep’ (read that one first!).

This time around Daemyn struggles to embrace his new identity and Alex tries be a better person and a decent friend but everything goes haywire when a maid accepts a glass slipper from a questionable being. This is a fun read undergirded with some really thought-provoking allegorical moments. I’m looking forward to the next book!
M.H. Elrich
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh, how I love this book and this book series! I can’t tell you enough how much I enjoy reading about Daemyn, Alex, and the new character, Elara. I was so engrossed in this book’s plot that I read it in a day and a half. That’s right, you read that correctly: It took me a day and a half to read this book. That’ s because there’s so much to love in it. The characters, plot, and setting of this book align to create an awesome fairy tale-esque tale that is a perfect sequel to Dagger’s Sleep.

Charact
J.M. Stengl
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent book in this unique yet familiar story world, with a surprising and satisfying ending for our Cinderella. I don't want to give any spoilers, but let's just say this retelling deals thoroughly with the insta-love problem in the original fairy tale, and in a thrilling, even somewhat scary way!
I enjoy watching this world and its overall story unfold through each book in the series. There are several characters who definitely need stories of their own!
Another must-read fairy tale!
C.S. Wachter
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Tricia Mingerink continues her Beyond the Tales series with a Cinderella retelling that is unique and fresh. The wonderfully vivid world she created in Dagger’s Sleep becomes the setting for Midnight’s Curse. I enjoyed reuniting with the characters from the first book here and reading about their growth while meeting new characters specific to this tale.

Of all the characters, new and old, I found Elara the least likable. She is a complainer and her dissatisfaction is painted in all its negativi
Morgan
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tricia’s an evil author.

This book is so good. And as I got further and further in, I made a comment about how it keeps getting worse and worse and my dad suggested I stop reading. But no, it’s a good kind of bad. Suffering curses, beatings, dungeons, pain, pain, and more pain. Poor Daemyn, trying to figure out how to be himself, to live instead of existing. Oh, Alex, being such an idiot. Not that it’s entirely his fault. Elara, so bitter, so dead set on being rich and prominent and having all th
Abby Ophoff
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Even better than the first! Tje main characters have developed so much though the first book but they still have to overcome their personal struggles and flaws.The theme of contentment runs strong in the book which makes it a great book for all audiences. Overall this book is a wonderful retelling of a well-known fairytale and I would highly recommend it
Ejayen
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series, fantasy
It is clearly not your classical Cinderella, but I'm pretty sure that is the point. It's not the best stand alone story, but it isn't necessary to read the first one first. I didn't.
I really liked that the chapter titles are the names of that chapters main character.
Jessica Dowell
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.

Hands down, this is the most creative retelling of the Cinderella story I have EVER read. If you are familiar with the Grimm version of the tale (or, really any version other than Perrault’s or Disney’s) you know that this story can take some dark turns. While this retelling takes a slightly dark twist, it was not in the way I would have expected. And
TJ
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love a retelling of a familiar story especially a fairy tale. It is even better when the author adds a few unexpected twists/ I thoroughly enjoyed reading Midnight’s Curse, the second in Tricia Mingerink’s Beyond the Tales series. It was a hard book to put down, and I was thankful that I was on vacation and didn’t have to. The story continues with characters from the previous book which allowed me to feel at home as the new characters were added in. The development and growth of the characters ...more
Alyssa Dinkler
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Cinderella" is probably the fairytale most often reimagined in books and film, but this retelling of the classic story was very unique. Many of the events were the same, but motivations were completely different. I was surprised to find that the sisters Elara (the "Cinderella" character) worked for were more likeable than she was. It kept me intrigued on how it would all turn out.

My only critique is that the writer tends to repeat things more than necessary, specifically what characters are th
Madi's Musings
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are several fairy tale retellings, but few possess the creativity of Midnight’s Curse. Mingerink puts a creative, unique spin on a well-known, well-loved fairy tale to create an intriguing read filled with lovable characters. My favorite MC is Alex. He tries so hard, yet fails so often. I love the way his character is grown and stretched, and though his genuine attempts to right past wrongs often go awry, he continues pushing forward and doing his best. Midnight’s Curse is not a tale for t ...more
Jessie
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was really good! I didn't love all of the aspects or characters, but the story line and setting were really fun! I did really love the characters Daemyn, Alexander, and Terrence! Elara I did not love as much but she was ok enough in the end. A very different but interesting twist on this classic fairy tale.
Codee Cooper
Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So worth it!!

Amazing story! Love the way she weaves faith into this clever reimagining of Cinderella. This is a brilliant twist on a classic!
anne Halvorson
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a twist

A good, clean fun read. Who ever would have imagined Grimes characters wearing buckskins and moccasins. Recommend it to anyone who isn’t afraid of a little imagination.
Doña Miri
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A great continuation of a unique story and retelling of an old one.
Della Loredo
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another winner from Tricia Mingerink! This book is another creative retelling of a fairy tale -- Cinderella, in this case -- and it again is full of adventure and allegory. It follows "Dagger's Sleep," and, although it probably could be read on its own, you'll enjoy it more if you've read its predecessor first.
Tina Harper
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a great book. I thought Dagger's Sleep was awesome, but in my opinion, Midnight's Curse tops it.

Probably my favorite thing about this book is the characters. Daemyn, Alexander, and Elara -the three main characters- were all great, sometimes in a not so great way. Daemyn, who has lived for a hundred years, is trying to figure out how to actually live again while also figuring out his role to High King Alexander. Alex is trying so hard to change from the self-centered prince he used to be, b
Liz Koetsier
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: want-to-own
I have always loved fairytale retellings, Cinderella ones especially, and this one has soared right to the top with Ella Enchanted. It was beautiful, sweet, suspenseful, heart-felt and thought-provoking, all the things I look for in a book.
I'm learning to love Alex more; I see him as a cross between Arthur and Tony Stark. He is one of a kind, and I found myself wishing I could give him a hug a few times. Daemyn and Isi are my favorite characters, and you get a deeper look inside his head in thi
Helena George
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Once again, I am IN LOVE with this new story world. I love all the Appalachian vibes mixed with a fantasy/fairytale genre. Like, EPICNESS Y'ALL.

Once again, the ending is twisty, in a way I didn't expect.

Once again, the characters are awesome.
Lizzy
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is absolutely incredible, and it needs so many more stars than just five. <333 ...more
Jeanette
Hope
DeVorah
Elizabeth Dragina
Tricia Mingerink
May 17, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Allison
Ethan Mingerink
Elise Norgaard
Sara
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Secret Princess: A Retelling of The Goose Girl (Return to the Four Kingdoms, #1)
  • A Princess of Wind and Wave: A Retelling of The Little Mermaid (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #6)
  • A Captive of Wing and Feather: A Retelling of Swan Lake (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #5)
  • The Coronation Ball (Four Kingdoms, #2.2)
  • Hunted: Alba's Story (Destined #5)
  • Reign of Magic (The Fairy Tale Enchantress, #3)
  • Fierce Heart (Elven Alliance #1)
  • War Bound (Elven Alliance #2)
  • The Dragon Princess: Sleeping Beauty Reimagined
  • Enchantment (The Kingdom Chronicles, #5)
  • Princess of Mermaids (Fairy Tale Adventures, #3)
  • Reflection (The Kingdom Chronicles, #4)
  • Fated: Cinderella's Story (Destined, #1)
  • Hidden: Rapunzel's Story (Destined, #2)
  • Cry of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #3)
  • Cursed: Briar Rose's Story
  • Rook and Shadow (Salarian Chronicles #1)
  • The Last Autumn Fairy (The Autumn Fairy, #3)
Tricia Mingerink is a twenty-something, book-loving, horse-riding country girl. She lives in Michigan with her family and their pack of pets. When she isn't writing, she can be found pursuing backwoods adventures across the country.

Beyond the Tales (3 books)
  • Dagger's Sleep: A Retelling of Sleeping Beauty (Beyond the Tales #1)
  • Poison's Dance: A Twelve Dancing Princesses Retelling (Beyond the Tales #3)

News & Interviews