Start by marking “The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Dogs: Dog Breeds & Dog Care” as Want to Read:
The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Dogs: Dog Breeds & Dog Care

The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Dogs: Dog Breeds & Dog Care

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  156 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Book by John Daniels, Dr. Peter Larkin Mike Stockman
Published 2001 by Hermes House (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Dogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Dogs

Mark Manfield
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good list - not quite all the breeds I am interested in but most of them. Still a really good way to get an idea of the breeds out there!
Kiran Poet
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, reviewed
I LOVE DOGS AND I LOVED THIS BOOK! DONATED TO A COLLEGE LIBRARY.
Emilija
Jul 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-reads
This was actually a decent book. Some useful tips in there.
Bailey
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I got this book when I was 8 or 9 because I LOVE dogs and it really helped me learn about different breeds, dog care, etc
Charity
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Target Audience- dog lovers. Anyone doing research on dogs.
Genre- Nonfiction. Informational.
Connections- Students might experience getting a new dog, or their dog at home has puppies. I have used similar books to do research on topics that interest me.
The twin text I chose to pair this with is Clifford the Big Red Dog; Clifford's Family by Norman Bridwell (2011). I chose this book because Clifford isn't a typical dog and it could be fun for younger students to relate those two. The genre is c
Alisha Brook
Series: -
Author: Peter Larkin & Mike Stockman
Genre: Informational / Animals
Rating: 4 stars

This is a very useful and educational text about dogs. Not only does it describe the characteristics of multiple breeds in detail, but also describes breeding and training methods.

This book would be, and is very influential for those deciding on a breed of dog suitable for their family, and/or for first time dog owners to aide the
Christine
This is a good introduction to dogs for a prospective owner. I also found the chapters regarding dog breeding informative. The second half of the book is dedicated to brief descriptions of each dog breed and their pros and cons. This section organizes the dogs by type such as gun dogs, toy dogs, terriers, etc.
Caroline Christoff
Jan 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I want to be a vetranarian, so I am always reading dog encyclopedias. This was a very good book for someone who wants to be a breed wiz. It was very well explained and good for a first time dog owner. Or, for those of us who just want to learn more about dogs,- I recommend it. You won't get lost in this book. It's very explanitory.
LeilaK9
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is amazing! The pictures are so good, and the facts are so precise! This book gives so much information on each and every breed of dog, plus health care, herbal remedies, and bandaging and bathing techniques!
Ali
Jan 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone considering adopting a dog
Best. Dog. Book. Ever. You will find almost every breed of dog in this book with a very helpful writeup of their personalities, eating habits, exercise needs and more. This book helped us to pick out our beloved Cesky Terrier. A must-read for anyone considering adopting a pooch of their own.
Crystal Valenta
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love dogs and have been a dog lover for as long as I can remember. This is one of THE BEST dog breed encyclopedias I've come across and I've been reading/learning about dogs for over 15 years. I highly recommend this one! It's worth the price.
Riobhcah
Mar 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dogs
This book contains a lot of good basic information for dog owners. Everyone who owns dogs should have a book like this. Or anyone wanting a dog should have a look at this book to see what owning a dog entails. There is also a good description of the personality of each breed.
Jamie Leeper
Aug 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A great book. Tells about all the dog breeds!
Aika
Jan 17, 2010 marked it as to-read
Shelves: wish-list
I LOVE DOGS!!!
Sue
May 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nature
Whenever I feel like torturing myself with the desire for a dog, I get this out...
Peta
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
An excellent introduction to dog breeds and the basics of keeping a dog. Some of the information is possibly a little dated but overall it's a great general guide.
Jordan
Jan 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When I grow up I want to be a vetrinarian and I love dogs. My friend bought me this when I turned 6 and now I'm 10. I have practically memorized it! I recomend this to any animal lovers!
Ryandg
Mar 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
An excellent book, I recommend to all devoted dog owners
Abigail
Amy R
Mar 10, 2011
Madison
Sep 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would die if i didnt have this book
Alfred Haplo
  • Dogs
  • Ultimate Encyclopedia Of Cats, Cat Breeds & Cat Care
  • Generation Green: The Ultimate Teen Guide to Living an Eco-Friendly Life
  • Complete Book of Tarot Spreads
  • Dick for a Day: What Would You Do If You Had One?
  • On Becoming an Alchemist: A Guide for the Modern Magician
  • Ferrets For Dummies
  • Horses
  • The Children of Now: Crystalline Children, Indigo Children, Star Kids, Angels on Earth, and the Phenomenon of Transitional Children
  • Hold Your Horses: Nuggets of Truth for People Who Love Horses...No Matter What
  • The Joy of Writing Sex: A Guide for Fiction Writers
  • Thunder from the Sea
  • The Survivor's Guide to Sex: How to Create Your Own Empowered Sexuality After Childhood Sexual Abuse
  • The All-New Amelia (Amelia's Notebooks, #7)
  • Encyclopedia of Dog Breeds
  • Do Dead People Watch You Shower?: And Other Questions You've Been All but Dying to Ask a Medium
  • Dog Heroes of September 11th: A Tribute to America's Search and Rescue Dogs