Start by marking “A Very Southern Christmas: Holiday Stories from the South's Best Writers” as Want to Read:
A Very Southern Christmas: Holiday Stories from the South's Best Writers

A Very Southern Christmas: Holiday Stories from the South's Best Writers

3.18  ·  Rating details ·  34 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Down below the Mason-Dixon line, it's hardly the land of sleigh bells, snow shovels, and a winter wonderland. What could possibly go on in the South at Christmastime?
A Very Southern Christmas burrows beneath all the fluff and window-dressing and goes straight to the heart of our most cherished holiday. Discover writing by some of the South's best contemporary fiction writ
Published November 1st 2003 by Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill

To ask other readers questions about A Very Southern Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Very Southern Christmas

David
I read only the Donna Tartt story.
Laurie
The writing and the stories were all very good, but this is like a southern gothic collection, in that almost all of them are major bummers.

~This Charmed Day by Tim McLaurin, 4*: Really sweet Christmas memories
~Deputy Sid's Gift by Tim Gautreaux, 3*: Writing is pretty good, but what a downer
~New Dresses by Mary Ward Brown, 3*: Same as the last
~Creche by Richard Ford, 4*: Excellent writing, can't tell where this one is going
~A Christmas Pageant by Donna Tartt, 4*
~The Ayatollah of Due East by Vale
Donna
May 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
I was SO disappointed by this book. I think Christmas, I think inspiration, I think uplifting, happy, celebrations, redemption, etc. Nah, not happening between these covers.

Out of the 10 short stories 2 of them are reasonably close to these expectations. Ppl are dead, dying or in rehab. Houses burn down & the terminally ill occupant ends going to a borrowed trailer to live out his dying days.

Man, do yourself a favor & DON'T pick up this book unless you are looking for a bah humbug experi
LeAnne
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is not your mama's set of Christmas stories. Donna Tartt has a dark, wry one, and Willie Morris's made me cry.
Greg
Some were good, some were bad. Some were interesting, some were disturbing.
Elizabeth
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am glad I live north of the Mason Dixon line at holiday season.
Judy
Dec 09, 2017 rated it liked it
An enjoyable collection of short stories featuring a variety of Christmas themes by contemporary Southern writers.
Dec 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
I cherry picked stories by authors I like, or that grabbed me in the first few paragraphs. The story by Donna Tartt was weird and good. The story by Lee Smith made me cry. A festive read for late December.
Nikki
Jan 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2007-reads, christmas
A collection of short stories by Southern authors with a Christmas theme. My favorite was Deputy Sid's Gift, set in Louisiana. Some of the stories are heart-warming, some disturbing, but all have a real Southern flavor and are well-told.
Mimi
Sep 07, 2016 rated it liked it
I read this because it had a story by an author I wanted to read. Most of the stories are quite wonderful, and certainly not necessarily cheerful christmas stories. A 3.5 or more.
Julia