Start by marking “Bug Boys” as Want to Read:
Bug Boys

Bug Boys

(Bug Boys #1)

Join two bug friends as they learn about the science of the world around them and the meaning of friendship in this early graphic novel series perfect for fans of Narwhal and Jelly!

Rhino-B is a brash, but sweet guy. Stag-B is a calm and scholarly adventurer. Together these two young beetles make up the Bug Boys, best friends who spend their time exploring the world of Bug
Published February 11th 2020 by Random House Graphic

To ask other readers questions about Bug Boys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bug Boys

Start your review of Bug Boys
Kayla Miller
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet, episodic stories about two little beetles growing up and trying to understand the world around them.

While the stories may appear simple, there are deeper themes below the surface. The characters deal with anxiety, spirituality, and complex interpersonal conflicts while on their adventures.

I think this would be a good recommendation for the little kid in your life who seems wise beyond their years.
Mari Johnston
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it
This review and many others can also be found at Musings of a (Book) Girl.

At first glance, Bug Boys seems like nothing more than the adventures that two best friends find themselves going on – but it’s so much more. Laura Knetzger did an incredible job of capturing the fears and uncertainties that kids feel and having Stag-B and Rhino-B work through them.

The first thing I thought of when I saw Bug Boys was how much the art style reminded me of Adventure Time. After finishing the graphic novel
Christy
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many stories contained in one book, each a sweet lesson. Stories about relationships, the earth, and how termites are actual terrors to bees (it’s true! This book caused me to confirm). RHKG slays it once again.
Mortisha Cassavetes
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
I won an ARC of this book and want to thank the author and Random House for this amazing graphic novel. It will release in February of 2020. I really loved it. The story follows Rhino-B and Stag-B, two little bugs that are best friends. They go on lots of adventures and even get into a little mischief. They love to explore and find treasures in their Bug Village and where ever the treasure maps take them. I really loved the bright and colorful illustrations and highly recommend this cute graphic ...more
Jenna (Bookiemoji)
Lovely! Charming! Insightful! Go ahead and get this unusual graphic novel for the kids, but first you have to read it for yourself. This deceptively intelligent tale of two beetle friends and their bug buddies will have you laughing on one page, then thinking deep, philosophical thoughts the next. The lessons learned will delight you and warm your heart. Get ready to fall in love.
Andrew
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have fallen in love with these beetle BFFs! Rhino-B, Stag-B, and all of their friends had me smiling, laughing, and relating to their wit and emotions. I didn't want their adventures to end! Bug Boys would make a fantastic TV show-- the panels practically feel animated themselves. Readers of all ages are sure to become absorbed in these cheerful insect buddies.
Kristin
The art is consistently lovely but stories veer wildly from one-joke slice of life tales to meditations on war and existential dread. The underground story feels like it's from a different book and a drawn as a trippy, glowing metaphor for...something,
Anya
Nov 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, arc, comics
Thank you to Random House Graphic for the ARC!

This was a very cute book, and I loved the art. Laura Knetzger was a storyboard artist for Adventure Time, and I can definitely see similarities between her style and the show.

I only gave this three stars because the short chapters and varying storylines were a little jarring for me. It felt like some of the stories were over before they really got going. However, this could be a definite plus for a reluctant reader, or a kid with a shorter
Cat
Delightful little stories! I love the characters Rhino-B and Stag-B, and all of their friends. The stories within the book are all really short, so even a 2nd or 3rd grader could probable read fairly easily. Older kids will enjoy it, as well. The bugs and insects in the book have lots of adventures and pretty much behave as kids do in real life. I think children will enjoy their antics. Written graphic novel style, the illustrations were wonderful and the type large enough for younger readers to ...more
Stephanie Tournas
I am always looking for early grade graphic novels to offer to younger readers. This adorable book about friendship in the insect world perfectly fits the bill. Rhino-B and Stag-B are beetles and best friends. Each short chapter is a new adventure, involving a rotating cast of characters, including Dome Spider, who is a librarian, a hive of bees, and a mound of termites. Gentle humor throughout, with nods to genuine insect behavior, and including a few wild, psychedelic moments. The journey down ...more
Lenoire
Stag-B is a calm but smart adventurer while Rhino-B is a sweet person but self-assertive. The two young beetles are best friends and make up the Bug Boys. They spend their time exploring Bug Village and the surrounding areas. Together the duo goes on adventures to save their village honey supply, travel through caves, and work with a bookish spider. What new adventure will the Bug Boys embark on?

The graphic novel was a cute read about friendship and coming of age. The two beetles were a fun
CR
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This graphic novel was a great adventure. The story was easy to read and follow and the artwork was great. I finished this book in about an hour and I really want to read it again. The age group 7-10 was good but I think that older kids like my sister who is almost 13 would like this one to. I really liked that at the end of the book there are pages to learn to draw the bug boys. That was really cool!!
Theediscerning
Jan 20, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Come here for jumps – which is most appropriate, I guess, as it concerns two insects. Half-arsed stories from someone's web comic show the bugs find treasure, do this, do that, have a bug mitzvah, and so on. And it's all poor – the stories jump errantly from one place to the next, images have the characters in multiple frames at multiple scales within the same set of gutters, and it's just all over the shop. Not visually attractive at all, and not recommended.
Raven Black
Aug 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
The spiritual aspects and the growth from there I could have handled, but writing is stiff; the characters uninteresting and the "drug induced trip" at the end was down right creepy and well over the top. The modern characters attitude (boys cry, etc) gets lost with utter nonsense storylines. The artwork is awkward and flat.
Caity
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really cute book with lots of sweet bug stories. The friendship between the main beetles is well written and overall its a great book. I found a few of the stories to be a little vague and wish there was just a bit more detail but they were still well thought out and a joy to read. I also liked the bug facts in the back of the book.
Mariana Calderon
BUG BOYS is a delightful collection of comic vignettes, perfect for readers needing a bite-sized story at a time, daydreamers, and bug-lovers. Easy to enjoy and deceptively simple in scale, the stories actually contain complex but enjoyable musings about friendship, communication, and finding one's place in the world.
Joelle
Feb 11, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cute story about the friendship between Rhino-B and Stag-B. Together they traverse the world exploring and discovering all sort of new things in the natural world. Their adventure are complicated at times, but ultimately their friendship prevails. The illustrations will resonate with fans of Adventure Time, although the story may not leave most kids wanting more.
Melissa
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh man, I love this book! The author was inspired by the documentary Beetle Queen Conquers Tokyo, which I loved, and the story of these beetles has captured my heart. The drawings are great, with colors and characters that are so charming and homey. The stories are great, with simple and yet profound positive thoughts about life, from a bugs perspective, if they had feelings like humans.
Ruth
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Crazy adorable Adventure-Time-esque collection of adventures that two beetles (Stag B and Horn B) go on. They live in a mushroom! There is a spider librarian! They befriend a dragonfly! They have an existential crisis about growing up! There is an allegory for depression that is handled wonderfully! They go on a quest to help some bees!
Delany Holcomb
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely lovely graphic novel about two friends that navigate their humble bug world, "Bug Boys" is a good wholesome read for those that are fans of Adventure Time, Steven Universe, and just plain good fun.
Nancy Funes
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute little stories about two bug best friends. Very reminiscent of Adventure Time in terms of art and humor (the author/illustrator was a storyboard artist for the show). I laughed out loud quite a few time. I absolutely loved it! Would recommend for 7-11 year-olds.
Dai Guerra
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a cute collection of different stories about two bugs who go on so many adventures. It's a nice quick read that you can read with your kids. It's also a great read for children who are learning to read.
Lynn
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This one didn't do much for me but I suspect I am not the right reader for this.
Marta Boksenbaum
I thought this book was cute but I didn’t love it. However I think kids might enjoy the simple episodic stories and cute cartoons of bugs.
Brianna
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adorable, surprisingly insightful and super fun.
Andrea