Start by marking “Remains” as Want to Read:
Remains

Remains

Grief is a black house.

How far would you go? What horrors would you endure if it meant you might see the son you thought you'd lost forever?

Driven to a breakdown by the brutal murder of her young son, Lucy Campbell had locked herself away, fallen deep inside herself, become a ghost haunting room 23b of the William Tuke Psychiatric Hospital.

There she'd remained, until the w
Published August 1st 2019 by IFWG Publishing Australia

To ask other readers questions about Remains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Remains

Start your review of Remains
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars! (rounded up for Goodreads)
I get so excited about debut novels. Especially when I've previously read some short stories from the author and loved them. (This happens more times than you think!)
Such is the case with Andrew Cull. Last year, BONES was a surprise hit for horror readers. A dark horse! Cull came out of nowhere and dropped this book of collected horror novellas on us and BAM! BONES made everyone's "Best of the Year" roundup. (it's a must buy if you haven't yet)
REMAINS is Cull
Bark
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“She stepped over the threshold and the house swallowed her whole.”

Remains is a heavy book. It is bleak and emotional and it will haunt you. It’s unrelenting in its pain and is an excellent exploration of the hellpit of grief. If you’ve read Hunter Shea’s CREATURE and/or Kealan Patrick Burke’s BLANKY, which both explore anguish and grief manifesting in unimaginable ways, you’ll have an idea of the type of mood I’m talking about.

From the moment I began Remains I was hooked. I’m a sucker for cree
Emily
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"You reached into the darkness with all your heart, and what have you pulled from it?"

Remains is Andrew Cull's first novel, and it's a great read. This story is creepy and unsettling, and it will stick with you after you are done. The foreword sets you up for a dark and spooky story, and I was excited to see what was going to happen.

It does take a little bit to get going, but it's so worth it once it does. Usually I struggle with slow burn books, but Remains worked for me. It took me a minute t
Lee  drunkonbookz
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
This is the story of Lucy, who has just spent six months in a psychiatric hospital voluntarily trying to deal with the tragic and brutal murder of her young son, Alex.
The loss of a child is a heart breaking one and I knew this book was going to pull at my heart strings as soon as I read the Foreword. "A work of fiction, but loosely based on recorded events."

Years ago when my daughter was young, we were at a shopping mall. Three story, outdoor area, huge. My daughter went missing. I begun searchi
The Grim Reader
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Remains is as harrowing and gruesome a ghost story you’re ever likely to read. The death of a child, endless grief and moments of shiver-inducing terror run rampant through Andrew Cull’s debut novel. Admittedly, it took me a few chapters to become fully invested in the plight of Lucy and Matt. Still, my patience was rewarded as Cull mercilessly dragged me through his house of horrors. I was a little unprepared for the ferocity of some chapters as young Alex’s brutal slaughter is relived time and ...more
Sjgomzi
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-list-2019
This was my first time reading Andy Cull, and it certainly won’t be my last. This Is a haunted house story that delivers. This book is terrifying. I actually felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand up while reading this book alone, in my bed, in a dark quiet house. Every time my floor creaked, or my furnace fired up, my nerves became frayed. This was a brutal, emotionally draining read. I have never seen grief portrayed so well on the written page. A real page turner that provides great scar ...more
Jeremy Hepler
Aug 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
REMAINS is a perfect blend of real-life heartache (the loss of a child), and a spine-chilling ghost tale. This was the first work by Andrew Cull that I've read, and now I'm a forever fan. His writing is immersive, his pacing and tension building top notch, and his character building deep and complex. Can't wait to see what he churns out next!
Robin Bonne
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The ending had me in tears and I’m not the type that normally cries while reading. The author completely gutted me. This was a perfect 5 star read.
Steve Stred
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
* Review is live on Kendall Reviews! *

In 2018 I was introduced to some fantastic collections. Many of these collections were filled with stories that gripped you, scared you and made you cry.

One such collection that elevated itself for me, was Andrew Cull’s Bones.

This collection really caught my eye starting with the cover and once I finally bought a copy, the words within opened up some intense doors.

Now – I’m one of those. Yup, those reviewers. I’m a reviewer who will typically message an auth
S.J. Budd
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think this may be my favourite book of 2019. The most emotionally charged book I have ever read. This is a book so dark that I often had to take breaks whilst reading it and actually had nightmares over it. Read with caution if you have kids, or ever lost a loved one. This is a brutal book on grief. This is a heart wrenching tale drenched in horror.

Remains starts off as a slow burner, we are introduced to the main character of Lucy, a bereaved mother struggling to adapt to life without her son
Well Read Beard
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-books
This book is about grief. Let me tell you a secret - I clicked 4 stars to begin with - I then went back and clicked 5, why? Because, I don't remember ever having read anything that captured grief the way this book does. For that?, for taking a strong human emotion, any parent's worst fears and formulating into a beautifully horrifying narrative, black on the white page - That is why I changed my mind.

Lucy has lost her son in the most terrifying way possible. Lucy is stricken with a palpable grie
Kelly
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This fantastic debut horror novel centers around Lucy who has been in a psychiatric hospital after the brutal murder of her son. She is drawn to the house where he died. Remains is non-stop horror with every creepy sentence. It meanders a bit at the beginning but explodes from the midpoint until the end. I will definitely be picking up anything that Andrew Cull writes.
Audra (ouija.doodle.reads)
Wow. What a gut-punch, a truly heart- and brain-wrenching book. You get the full body experience with this novel.

This was a book I sat down to try few pages of before going to sleep and I was so consumed that all of a sudden it was 1 AM and I didn’t know how I was going to sleep at all.

Remains is a story about grief and how far one is willing to go to feel close to someone they’ve lost. It’s about getting stuck in the oppressive cycle of grief so deep that it blinds you to what’s moving forward
Glenn  Parker
STANDOUT READ OF THE YEAR!!!

I was lucky enough to receive and ARC copy - which in no way shapes my review - of Andrew's latest book, Remains. Did I expect to be good? Hell yeah! Did I expect it to be one of the best books I have read in the last few years (Potentially of all time?) Hell no! But it was. This book blew me away, Its not common that myself (or most people in general) go looking for an experience that will crush their soul, break their heart, scare the shit out of them, and actually
Matt McCleland
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pretty spooky and horrific book. It actually made me think, "maybe I shouldn't read this one before bed." I did anyway and thoroughly enjoyed it!
Michela
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
"Grief is a black house."

Lucy Campbell has a terrible breakdown after the brutal murder of her young son and she decides to lock herself in a psychiatric hospital, hoping to find some peace of mind and the power to move on with her life. But the abandoned house where his son tragically lost his life is calling her, giving her a morbid hope that she could find answers there.
But what she finds there is not what she was looking for...

After falling in love with Andrew Cull's beautiful writing and d
Kristyn
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a very unique take on a haunting. It was heartbreaking at times reading about the feelings of a mother who has lost her child. There were some very chilling moments as well. I had a sense of foreboding through much of the book. It ended up turning out completely different from what I expected, and that is a good thing. I look forward to reading more from Andrew Cull!
Andrew
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book wrecked me. I had nightmares, I had to put the book down several times because it was so disturbing. Yes, it was scary, but more than that it was the pain of a grieving mother that really got to me, especially as a father of three.

This will definitely not be the last thing I read by Andrew Cull.
Chris Berko
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Good. Effective. This was a decent read but I had kind of a been there done that feeling at the end.
Theresa Braun
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
The fact that this novel is based on a true story intrigued me. I'm always up for a haunted house tale. It took me about the halfway point to really get into the book. That's where there was shift in the way the chapters are written and what happens with the characters. The tension escalates, which is heightened by the short chapters. There's one particular body horror section that's rather epic, which I enjoyed. Overall, Cull hands us some of the details in this story, but makes the reader work ...more
Joshua Marsella
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A mother checks herself out of a mental hospital to be reunited with her son. Unfortunately for her, her son was murdered prior to her self-induced hospitalization. What was once a tragic incident turns even more tragic when the mother becomes obsessed with seeing her dead son again at all costs.

I believe horror is at its best when it combines real life tragedy with supernatural elements that are left fairly ambiguous. Cull manages to tug at the reader’s heartstrings while leaving them with a h
donna greenwood
Jun 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most genuinely scary books I have read this decade.
Rhian Eleri
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Horrifying read! After part one 'grief is a black house '.... the story turns to the darkest of places.
For a debut novel- this is fantastic. The scene is nicely set at the beginning. But all the while I was able to feel the horrors lurking.
When the evil comes into life just before halfway, my reading became an actual experience.
Lucy returns to a house where her son was obscenely murdered. Here she re-lives a nightmare and we live it with her. I felt her every fear and saw shadows on my slee
Kimberly van Pinxteren
May 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
WOW.

Finished this in one day, it's been quite a while since I can remember that a book was this gripping that I couldn't let go.

The scariest books I have ever read in my life were all written by Jonathan Aycliffe (Whispers In The Dark, Naomi's Room, The Vanishment). The man has got a unique gift, a unique talent that sets him apart from every other writer out there. He knows how to make you experience a story, really experience it and in the most unsettling captivating way.

Remains by Andrew Cull
Tracy Robinson
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My review from High Fever Books:

Andrew Cull’s novel is not to be trifled with. As a debut novel, this book reads like someone who has been penning long fiction for years. It is polished, engaging, and a great read. I was fortunate enough to read Cull’s collection, Bones, last year so I knew what to expect in terms of writing ability and imagery, or so I thought.

I had no idea.

The journey we take with Lucy Campbell covers levels of grief beyond anything in my experience. In the Foreword, Cull make
D Gillis
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Remains follows Lucy Campbell in the aftermath of her son Alex’s brutal murder. She becomes obsessed with finding out what happened to him in the final hours of his life. After a six month stay in a psychiatric hospital, Lucy signs herself out and begins sitting in her car outside the house where Alex was killed. She’s sure that the answers and a chance to communicate with her son are inside.

The parts of this book that were set in the house had me wanting to cover my eyes and keep the lights on
Hailey Piper
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
At a point in Remains, Andrew Cull describes sloppy wall plaster so that it's more disturbing than bloodstains.
What else really needs to be said?
Remains is eerie from the opening paragraph, a horror novel that's both chilling and unrelenting. The worst thing in the characters' lives has already happened before the story begins. There are ghosts in the house where horror happened, but there are also ghosts making dinner, having conversations, the ghosts left by the people whose lives are already
Gavin
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is no question that this is my book of the year.

This book will break your heart in its brutal portrayal of a mother's grief and slowly squeeze the air from your lungs with some of the finest supernatural writing you'll read.

With flashes of The Amityville Horror, Session 9 and Hunter Shea's Creature and one of the best homages to The Omen you will ever read.
Remains is brilliantly written by a genuine master of emotional cinematic horror.

I'm not sure I can think of a better debut novel.

And
Marcy Reads on IG
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
”Don’t go back to that house, Lucy.”

This book tore me apart, creeped me out and made me angry! Those are all the necessary emotions that make a book amazing, IMO.

Following Lucy through her grief was sometimes upsetting, because of the decisions she sometimes made but underneath it all, grief can make you do some weird crazy things. I truly felt her sorrow and her need to get closer to her son. I can’t even fathom going through what Lucy went through without losing myself completely.

Great story!
Morgan Tanner
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’ve read a lot of scary books over the years, and quite a few involving creepy, supposedly ‘haunted’ houses. Most were really good, some were even great, but this debut novel by Andrew Cull is certainly the scariest I can remember.

What really worked for me (terrified me) was the ominous and claustrophobic nature of the house. The insidious darkness and the strange shadows, that almost become characters themselves, created such a eerie tension that haunted the very pages themselves.

So what’s it