Start by marking “Firefly Original Graphic Novel: The Sting” as Want to Read:
Firefly Original Graphic Novel: The Sting

Firefly Original Graphic Novel: The Sting

(Firefly (Collected Editions))

Saffron unites the women of the Serenity crew to join her on a heist in this all-new original FIREFLY graphic novel.

Saffron -- the enigmatic rogue who captured the hearts of FIREFLY fans worldwide, as well as the heart of Capt. Malcolm Reynolds -- returns to the Serenity. But this time, she’s got no time for Mal, as she’s there to recruit the women of the ship to join her
Published November 19th 2019 by BOOM! Studios

To ask other readers questions about Firefly Original Graphic Novel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Firefly Original Graphic Novel

Start your review of Firefly Original Graphic Novel: The Sting
Madison Warner Fairbanks
Firefly graphic novel: The Sting by Delilah S Dawson
From fan favorite Firefly, an original graphic story. Best read with knowledge of Firefly characters.
Saffron convinces, aka threatens, the women of the Serenity crew to help her with a heist.

A story mostly with the female characters and their thoughts on their relationships, themselves and what they might change if they could. Of course, there is an adventure with other world subterfuge, attempted escapes and daring rescues.
Dark thoughts fr
Jay
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
For those that know me, there is no big surprise to the fact that I consider myself a huge fan of the TV show Firefly and the follow up movie Serenity.

I've watched them both numerous times, I've bought T-shirts, listened to themed podcasts, bought music CDs that featured songs inspired by the franchise and met four of the actors from the show at comic conventions. I've also bought and of course read all the comics that have been published by various companies.

So when I saw that this one shot har
Andy Summers
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Danika at The Lesbrary
A mixed bag. It's been a long time since I watched Firefly, to be fair. I thought that some of the inner dialogue was a little heavy handed, and Saffron seemed like she was supposed to sound clever, but just sounded awkward? I did like River's inner dialogue, though.

Warning for Mal's usual anti-sex-work comments. (But everyone tells him he's an asshole for saying it, if that counts for anything.)
TJ
Jul 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The premise of this is great, but the pacing was so. painfully. slow. I didn’t know a heist story could be this slow! There was also wayyyyyy too much inner monologue, and jumping from one POV to the next was torture and killed the momentum. Saffron also deserved more depth. They could have done way more with her character, but she seemed pretty surface-layer here. The art was inconsistent; they should have chosen one style. 3/5 stars.
Greg
May 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This feels very much like a middle-of-the-season episode and most of the character voices feel true to the show. I did have a few gripes, but these days I’m preferring to focus on the positive. Worth a quick read for fans of Serenity and her crew.
Kym Taborn
Dec 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Wasn't as engaging or fun as I had hoped it would be. ...more
Rachel
I do enjoy a good heist caper. The women of Serenity battle some maybe-evil nuns alongside Saffron, and a bunch of twisty double crosses follow. I'm not a big Firefly fan, so I don't have a ton of context to go along with this, but I definitely found the story easy to fall into.

A big thanks to Boom Studios for an advanced copy in exchange for my honest review.
KaitLphere
May 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-comics
A little clunky at times, and most of the womens' inner monologues centered on the guys. However, this is a nice addition to the Firefly universe. It fills in some holes of when certain things in the canon are decided. I enjoyed how each issue focused on one character and how the art and coloring changed to match that character. ...more
Alory Shannon
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Jenna
Nothing really stood out in terms of the writing, but it was entertaining enough and I quite liked the drawing style, which was much more preferable to that of the Unification Wars series.
RG
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
All over the shop
David
Feb 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
It's a spa-cation for the Serenity fems! But what is fan-fave grifter Saffron doing there?

This is your typical extortion/heist story, taking place between the series and the movie, but features excellent characterizations for Zoë, Inara, Kaylee, and River, all enhanced by running internal monologues. Each shines in her own way, but I especially enjoyed Kaylee's arc, since she rarely gets appreciated for being the glue that keeps Serenity's crew together; and I loved River's arc, since we hardly
Chloë
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
Review to come.

Rating - 2/5
Hobart
Sep 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
★ ★ ★ 1/2 (rounded up)
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader.
---
WHAT'S FIREFLY: THE STING ABOUT?
While Mal and the Serenity are tied up, Inara takes Zoë, Kaylee, and River to a luxury spa. The ladies are having a wonderful time when they're essentially taken hostage by Yo-Saff-Bridge who wants them (or at least Inara, Zoë, and Kaylee) to help.

It's a great scheme, even if she has to threaten the lives of the rest of their crew to get their cooperation.

After the setup, we get four c
Cale
Jun 04, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a pretty good story that is unfortunately let down by its artwork.
Dawson does a good job of getting into the minds of the Firefly female characters, and using them to push this heist story led by charismatic antagonist Saffron. Each issue prioritizes one character and helps to bridge where the characters ended the series and where they were in the movie (although this doesn't explicitly form that entire bridge). The heist itself ends up taking a back seat to the introspection, even as it
Brandon Nichols
Mar 25, 2020 rated it liked it
The idea outdistanced the execution.

I love the idea of a girl's heist with the women of Serenity crossing paths with Firefly's best villain. It's got great potential, but you'd need to really nail it to make it more than a gimmick.

The heist itself is interesting. There's a structure of entrapment that gives a bit of suspense, but ultimately falls flat (Saffron actually lets Zoe out after trapping her).

Zoe and Wash are arguing about a baby and taking OPPOSITE sides from what they had on the show.
anne
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Delilah Dawson is rapidly becoming one of my favorite authors. The plot here is complex, and lots of characters "take the lead" in this ensemble story of the women of Firefly. The premise (that Saffron had been hiding on board Serenity, and thus able to cause a full set of hijinx) felt a little beyond what the character (to me) is capable of, but everything after that was true-to-character and strong.

Props to the many artists, colorers, and letterers involved, especially for the interstitial ar
Jess
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
While this was somewhat of an enjoyable visit with some of my very favorite characters in the world, it was just an ok story, and the art was also just... ok. Comic artists never get Zoe quite right, and this book was no exception.

Story-wise, I enjoyed River's perspective the most. The dialect on Kaylee was overdone. Zoe's introspection bordered on whining, which is completely out of character for her. Inara's section was too drawn out and repetitive. And for all the hype of "let's go on an adve
Kathryn Halbert
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
The women of Serenity attempt to enjoy a girls' day out, only to be forced into assisting Saffron on a diamond heist. Also, nuns are involved. Great in concept, but the end result could be better. There's a lot of forced drama and some inner dialogues that don't feel totally Firefly. Zoe in particular seemed off, both in writing and artwork. Speaking of the artwork, some of the panels are spot on, but a lot of them feel rushed and sketchy, especially when compared to the good ones. Overall was a ...more
Katie
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Saffron manages to press all my buttons, but I did enjoy the new adventure she ensnared the girls into. I liked how each woman got a segment in which her thoughts were delved into, particularly Inara and her struggle with Mal and what could potentially be between them, and Zoe with her doubts about having a child (though it was a little bit of a flip from the show, where Wash has doubts and Zoe is gung ho). Kaylee and River always add some flair, and in the end they foiled Saffron's treachery an ...more
Christopher Gray
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
It was just OK.

It was a great idea for a story, and I could see the events being written into an episode. But in the end the story didn’t capture the feel of the characters for me.

And I want to say, and this is nit picking a little, but there were a couple of panels where Wash was way taller than Zoe and really no sorry not at all.

And, minor spoiler I guess, was it just me or did anyone else keep thinking why does she use that diamond ring to cut the glass.
Karen
Jul 04, 2020 rated it liked it
It was fine. The author seemed to get the voices of each character correct. Fun little story. Don't feel inclined to read 'nother in this series. ...more
Robert
Aug 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Enjoyable,and a bittersweet reminder of what could have been.
Fei
Feb 22, 2020 rated it liked it
The art didnt pop as much as other volumes but i enjoyed the foray back into the universe and getting the chance for the women center storyline.
Rick
Fun. But again, lots of revisiting lines of dialogue from the series and film to add “authenticity” to the characters. And, again, the story isn’t really progressing. Nothing new here, just more high jinx in a different setting. Some old stuff.
Debra  Golden
Jul 15, 2020 rated it liked it
It was a quick and fast paced read for my book club. I enjoyed it, but confess the characters differed from the ones on tv and i like those better. Fun, and lively drawing, but mostly okay. I may read another - the first.
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Firefly fans, it’s time to celebrate. There’s yet another graphic novel out there for us to dive into. I know it isn’t quite the same as another season, but we’ll take what we can get, right? Anything to keep Joss Whedon’s creation alive. Firefly: The Sting is the latest original graphic novel to come out in the world of Firefly. But this time around? The focus is on the ladies of the crew. That’s right: Kaylee, Zoe, Inara, and River are back. And they’re joined by Saffron. So you just know tha ...more
Kate
Shelves: science-fiction
« previous 1 3 next »

• Firefly: The Unification War Vol. 2
  • Firefly: The Unification War Vol. 3
  • Firefly: Watch How I Soar (Original Graphic Novel)
  • Firefly: New Sheriff in the 'Verse Vol. 1
  • Firefly: The Unification War  Vol. 1
  • Firefly: Bad Company
  • Firefly: New Sheriff in the 'Verse Vol. 2
  • Firefly: Legacy Edition Book One
  • Firefly: Legacy Edition Book Two
  • Serenity: No Power in the 'Verse
  • The Ghost Machine (Firefly #3)
  • Firefly: The Outlaw Ma Reynolds #1
  • Generations (Firefly #4)
  • Better Days and Other Stories (Serenity, #2)
  • A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1)
  • The Starless Sea
  • Firefly: Blue Sun Rising Vol. 1
  • Star Wars: Bounty Hunters, Vol. 1: Galaxy's Deadliest
Delilah S. Dawson is the New York Times-bestselling author of Star Wars: Phasma, Black Spire: Galaxy's Edge, and The Perfect Weapon. With Kevin Hearne, she writes the Tales of Pell. As Lila Bowen, she writes the Shadow series, beginning with Wake of Vultures. Her other books include the Blud series, the Hit series, and Servants of the Storm.

She's written comics in the worlds of Marvel Action: Spid

Firefly (Collected Editions) (7 books)
  • Firefly: The Unification War  Vol. 1