Start by marking “Monstress, Vol. 4: The Chosen” as Want to Read:
Monstress, Vol. 4: The Chosen

Monstress, Vol. 4: The Chosen

(Monstress #4)

Maika and Corvin make their way through a warped and lethal land in search of Kippa, who is faced with her own terrible monsters. But when Maika comes face-to-face with a stranger from her deep past, startling truths are uncovered, and at the center of it all lurks a dangerous conspiracy that threatens the Known World. Maika is finally close to getting all the answers she ...more
Published October 1st 2019 by Image Comics (first published September 25th 2019)

Start your review of Monstress, Vol. 4: The Chosen
Bradley
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I felt a desire to pull out my first three volumes of this graphic novel and re-read them.

Not only the artwork was there to be enjoyed, but the nicely deep storyline that keeps evolving in sometimes complicated but oftentimes traditional and satisfying ways reminiscent of some of the best mangas. But no. This is not a manga. It's lush, with lines very much unlike manga, but very reminiscent of it in the tentacles and oddities and mind-blowing depths of the imagination.

This is, and remains to me,
David Schaafsma
The first thing to say about Monstress is that the award-winning artwork of Sana Takeda is as usual breath-taking. This is sweeping fantasy with myriad characters (some favorites are cats and foxes) and factions, sometimes with a touch of horror, sometimes involving ultra-violence and featuring mostly women, almost all of them gorgeous and many of them evil. There is deep mythology, complex politics, goddesses, ancients, monsters. I still really don’t know what is going on half the time with the ...more
Michael Finocchiaro
Not sure I have a clue of what happened in Monstress, Vol. 4: The Chosen. I think I may need to reread the first 3. Beautifully drawn like the other volumes in any case. There is promise for a new volume with a new heroine, but admittedly, the storyline is still relatively hard to follow despite the gorgeous graphics.
Kien
Jun 28, 2019 marked it as to-read
Wake me up when September ends.
Trish
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As I suspected from volume 1 on, the author is playing the long game.

In this 4th volume, Maika and Kippa are in different places, Maika is trying to find Kippa with the help of Corvin while Kippa was taken by forces working for the mysterious "Doctor", who turns out to be none other than Maika's father (not much of a spoiler, don't worry)!
Moreover, the Dusk and Dawn Courts have been united by marriage and all sides are gearing up for war ... not even realizing that what destroyed Pontus in the
Manisha
Actual review: 4.5

The artwork is just as stunning as it has ever been. I have noticed, in other graphic novels, how the art suffers with each new book, so I’m glad to see that that hasn’t happened in this series. The art has lovely texture and creativity that cannot be seen in any other graphic novel, which makes the art and the world unique to this story.

Besides the artwork, I found this edition easier to follow than the previous one. The story is about Maika, also known as ‘Halfwolf’ as she
Silvana
Just when I thought it could not be even more complicated. I enjoyed the previous installments better.

It is easy to get lost among characters, especially factions, even though we have visuals.

There were new characters (and a new faction) but the worldbuilding felt a bit forced/prolonged.

I did enjoy Kippa's adventure (though some images were quite nightmare-inducing) and Ren's storyline. The rest - if not because of the fantastic visuals - are just alright, nothing special.

Except maybe that
Cathy
Good story, although quite often confusing. Complicated, far reaching, complex.
Consistently above average artwork. Recommended, this comic still delivers.

My weird non-review, written down along the way:
Chapter 19–confusing beginning, creepy ending, very nice artwork.
Chapter 20–still confusing. Kippa‘s storyline is good so far.
Chapter 21–huh?
Chapter 22–underground, good stuff! Dragons! Good chapter! The plot is moving in a meaningful way!

2-A157-DDA-28-B3-464-B-900-A-B6112-D26-C342

Right? Right! You have been warned.

Chapter 23-eeeew!
Amanda
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Things got complicated (and somewhat confusing) for our characters in this installment. I liked this one but not quite as much as the previous ones. The artwork continues to be stunning and I will definitely be continuing on.
Ashley
Star Rating: —> 5 STARS

SO EFFING BEAUTIFUL! Such an intriguing plot! I cant get enough of moriko halfwolf, kippa, ren, etc...

This story gets more and more interesting with every vol. i tried to read it as slow as humanly possible, like little bit heeeere... little bit there.... haha but it didn’t work so well; i still finished it in 3 days time, no matter how many moments, other books, whatever in between
Taylor
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great installment!! I honestly have no idea where these next volumes are going to go, but I can’t wait.
Sahitya
I’m going for a 3.5 again.

As always, the art style tends to be one of the best I’ve ever seen - intricate, detailed and excellent color scheme. This book also had some new monsters and machines and I thought they were all illustrated beautifully.

I still won’t talk much about the plot because I can only follow it barely. But everyone is preparing for war and we have new players in the field, and I think we are heading towards some explosive action sequences in the upcoming books.

Whatever I feel
Chris Lemmerman
After the previous volume's high octane action, Monstress takes a slower approach for the next six issues as Maika meets her father and begins to uncover more of the mystery surrounding the Shaman-Empress and the Monstrum, while Kippa slowly comes into her own.

Political maneuvering is the name of the game, with a lot of talking going on and not a lot of progression. Some of it is important exposition, and I expect the rest of it will have far more meaning going forward, but for now this one
Fafa's Book Corner
Oct 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: scary-reads
Mini review:

Trigger warning: Pretty much everything.

DNF

I've read all the previous installments, so I was really excited to read this volume! Unfortunately I was utterly disappointed.

I've felt that the series has been declining a bit. I was really hoping that this volume would make the wait worth it. Alas it didn't.

But you know what? Half truths and mind games can only keep a plot going on for so long. And this was the limit.

I don't recommend.
Jerrie (redwritinghood)
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Stunning art, as usual, for this one. The story is complex and was a little hard to follow in this issue. I got the feeling that mainly the characters are being positioned for the next installment. Good to see more of Kippa’s backstory in this one. 3.5 ...more
Konstantin
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
My average rating for the issues of this installment lands around 3.0, but it simply doesn't feel like a 3-star book to me - even less so when I take into the account that it is the exact same rating I gave to the first volume, which is in an entirely different league than this one.

Overall, a slim, unengaging, small-scoped, low-staked - and yes, boring - volume. Personally, it felt like the weakest one in the series by far. If the authors choose to create another installment, hopefully it will
rosamund
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic
A lot of things that sold me on these comics remain strong: the fiery and unapologetically ruthless female lead; the evocative and original art; the detailed and imaginative world-building. However, in some ways I find the story is so complex that it doesn't actually lend itself to the graphic form: it's constantly a challenge to figure out what's happening and who is who. I feel like I need to take notes! That being said, I enjoyed this volume, and found it an intriguing mixture of ...more
Milliebot
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this!
Errin
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, graphic-novels
3.5 stars! Hmm.. its a transition book. Necessary but not the most exciting. I loved all of Kippa's solo adventure! And Maika breaking down completely. (view spoiler) I'm rooting so hard for Maika's humanity and even Zinn. We're left with even more questions and loose threads with this one. Who was that on the phone? What does Vihn want? When will Maika find out about the Baroness? (view spoiler) ...more
Michelle Kenneth - PerfectionistWannabe.com
I love this series. I am an absolute addict and can't wait for the next volume in this series.

In this volume, the focus is on Maika's father, aka the Doctor. He is the reason behind Kippa's kidnapping. His goal is to bring Kippa to him in order to lure Maika to him. But Kippa, always feisty that little fox pup, manages to escape by jumping down a large hole where she encounters a Dracul, another god hiding away.

Kippa always amazes me how wise she is, yet she is still a pup. She is the voice of
Bridgette
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This series gets better and better. There was so many answers in this volume, but there are just as many new questions. The artwork, as always, is astounding. Kippa nearly broke me, and I'm so excited to see what happens with her. I do wish there was a summary of sorts at the beginning of what happened in the previous volume and almost a cast of characters like a play has to help keep track of everyone and who is allied with whom and who hates whom.
Kathryn Kania
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
UGH THESE ARE SUCH GOOD COMICS WTF IS TUYA DOING
Marta
“He is not my father.”
“So said every unhappy daughter.”

I love this series - despite my dislike of horror. The art is astonishing, the story is complex, the characters are all bad but sometimes they are good, too. You never know what to expect. Gorgeous and very evil women everywhere - many not human. There is deep mythology, complex politics, spying, blood lines, godesses, ancients, monsters...

We meet Maika’s father - and he is a piece of work. Kippa gets her own storyline and comes into her
Devann
As with volume 3, I love it but have very little idea what is actually going on. And it's even worse this time because apparently it's been over a YEAR since the last volume came out? Are they publishing an issue every other month? What an awful plan. Anyway, still some good stuff here and it's interesting to meet Maika's father and get some insight into him, although of course it comes with more confusing double crosses and a different side in this war I don't entirely understand so ...one step ...more
Shannon
I continue to enjoy this series, but it had been a while since I had read this one so wasn't quite sure where we left off. This one was a bit more telling than showing, which isn't a fave given the visual medium but it's so freaking beautiful that I don't mind one bit.

I wasn't a fan of the father character (view spoiler), mostly as the world has been almost exclusively women up to this point, I didn't even understand that there would... be
Josh
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This team of creators continues to produce one of the most intricate, beautiful, unsettling, rich comics I've ever encountered. With with machinations and worldbuilding to match any fantasy novel, "The Chosen" sees the world reeling from disaster and poised on the brink of chaos. The factions are forming, lines are being drawn, and there are few left in the world who believe that peace is still possible.

There are moments of difficulty in reading this series that mostly come from the gaps of
Leseparatist
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, owned, 2019
Still great and gruesome and creepy and beautiful. I wish I remembered more details of the previous volumes - the time between they come out is enough for me to miss on some details and struggle with minor characters' storylines. I'll have to make the effort to re-read the whole thing before part 5, I guess.

But oh, the worldbuilding, the grimness, the imagery. A treat.
Ben
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-bookshelf
Yet another fantastic installment in this exceptional series!
Sara Jovanovic
Oct 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Weakest volume so far, although I still read it in one sitting. I'm just curious about when does the next one come out, the wait for this series is endless.
Anirudh
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A surprising twist! However disappointed to learn that this series is incomplete

• Paper Girls, Vol. 6
  • "Okay" (The Wicked + The Divine #9)
  • Ascender, Vol. 1: The Haunted Galaxy
  • Snow, Glass, Apples
  • Gideon Falls, Vol. 3: Stations of the Cross
  • Invisible Kingdom, Vol. 1
  • Die, Vol. 1: Fantasy Heartbreaker
  • Skyward, Vol. 3: Fix the World
  • Head Lopper, Vol. 3: Head Lopper & The Knights of Venora
  • Old Is the New New (The Wicked + The Divine #8)
  • The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 3: Hotel Oblivion
  • Shades of Magic Vol. 2: Night of Knives
  • Heathen: Volume 2 (Heathen, #2)
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 5
  • Giant Days, Vol. 11
  • East of West, Vol. 9
  • The Infernal Path (Rat Queens #6)
  • Oblivion Song, Vol. 3
New York Times bestselling and award-winning writer Marjorie Liu is best known for her fiction and comic books. She teaches comic book writing at MIT, and she leads a class on Popular Fiction at the Voices of Our Nation (VONA) workshop.

Ms. Liu is a highly celebrated comic book writer. Her extensive work with Marvel includes the bestselling Dark Wolverine series, NYX: No Way Home, X-23, and Black

Monstress (4 books)
  • Monstress, Vol. 1: Awakening
  • Monstress, Vol. 2: The Blood
  • Monstress, Vol. 3: Haven
“He is not my father.”
“So said every unhappy daughter.”
1 likes