Start by marking “Monstress, Vol. 4: The Chosen” as Want to Read:
Monstress, Vol. 4: The Chosen

Monstress, Vol. 4: The Chosen

(Monstress #4)

Maika and Corvin make their way through a warped and lethal land in search of Kippa, who is faced with her own terrible monsters. But when Maika comes face-to-face with a stranger from her deep past, startling truths are uncovered, and at the center of it all lurks a dangerous conspiracy that threatens the Known World. Maika is finally close to getting all the answers she ...more
Published October 1st 2019 by Image Comics (first published September 25th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Monstress, Vol. 4, please sign up.
Annie Many of the characters are in same-sex relationships. It is made clear that the love of the (female) protagonist's life is female and she is given int…moreMany of the characters are in same-sex relationships. It is made clear that the love of the (female) protagonist's life is female and she is given into an arranged marriage in this volume (to another female).
Also, given the biology of some of the characters, I think it would be safe to say that gender can be fluid in this universe.
Hope that helps!(less)

Start your review of Monstress, Vol. 4: The Chosen
Anne
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
What in the hell is even happening?
I...
I have no idea what's going on in this story. I want to, but I just don't. It's as though I'm missing chunks and chunks of pertinent information. I know who the characters are, and I kind of know what they're doing. Sometimes.
Ok, it's like I'm reading drunk or something. Little snatches of a story that might be happening make it though my hazy inebriated brain, but the vast majority of the dialogue feels sing-songish and wobbly.

description

Who is that? Where did that
Bradley
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I felt a desire to pull out my first three volumes of this graphic novel and re-read them.

Not only the artwork was there to be enjoyed, but the nicely deep storyline that keeps evolving in sometimes complicated but oftentimes traditional and satisfying ways reminiscent of some of the best mangas. But no. This is not a manga. It's lush, with lines very much unlike manga, but very reminiscent of it in the tentacles and oddities and mind-blowing depths of the imagination.

This is, and remains to me,
Calista
I found this volume to be a bit easier to understand and follow than the past series. Either they connected a few more dots, or the story and writing is better. Even still, there were times it didn't seem to make much sense and difficult to follow.

The world building is outstanding and the characters are individuals. Maika and her father have some time together. He's a piece of work. Even though I'm not completely sure what is happening in this story, for some reason, it's still very compelling a
David Schaafsma
The first thing to say about Monstress is that the award-winning artwork of Sana Takeda is as usual breath-taking. This is sweeping fantasy with myriad characters (some favorites are cats and foxes) and factions, sometimes with a touch of horror, sometimes involving ultra-violence and featuring mostly women, almost all of them gorgeous and many of them evil. There is deep mythology, complex politics, goddesses, ancients, monsters. I still really don’t know what is going on half the time with the ...more
Michael Finocchiaro
Not sure I have a clue of what happened in Monstress, Vol. 4: The Chosen. I think I may need to reread the first 3. Beautifully drawn like the other volumes in any case. There is promise for a new volume with a new heroine, but admittedly, the storyline is still relatively hard to follow despite the gorgeous graphics. ...more
Trish
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As I suspected from volume 1 on, the author is playing the long game.

In this 4th volume, Maika and Kippa are in different places, Maika is trying to find Kippa with the help of Corvin while Kippa was taken by forces working for the mysterious "Doctor", who turns out to be none other than Maika's father (not much of a spoiler, don't worry)!
Moreover, the Dusk and Dawn Courts have been united by marriage and all sides are gearing up for war ... not even realizing that what destroyed Pontus in the p
Kien
Jun 28, 2019 marked it as to-read
Wake me up when September ends.
Schizanthus Nerd
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Two things happened when I finished reading Monstress Volume 3:
1. I learned that I was simultaneously desperate to continue reading and scared that something awful would happen to Kippa. My fear for Kippa won and I’ve been putting off reading this Volume for months now as a result.
2. I bought Book One, the signed Barnes & Noble exclusive version, and it’s gorgeous! It even includes postcards, which feature some of Sana Takeda’s extraordinary artwork.
description
Just in case I wasn’t already
Cathy
Good story, although quite often confusing. Complicated, far reaching, complex.
Consistently above average artwork. Recommended, this comic still delivers.

My weird non-review, written down along the way:
Chapter 19–confusing beginning, creepy ending, very nice artwork.
Chapter 20–still confusing. Kippa‘s storyline is good so far.
Chapter 21–huh?
Chapter 22–underground, good stuff! Dragons! Good chapter! The plot is moving in a meaningful way!

2-A157-DDA-28-B3-464-B-900-A-B6112-D26-C342

Right? Right! You have been warned.

Chapter 23-eeeew! Blood
Manisha
Actual review: 4.5

The artwork is just as stunning as it has ever been. I have noticed, in other graphic novels, how the art suffers with each new book, so I’m glad to see that that hasn’t happened in this series. The art has lovely texture and creativity that cannot be seen in any other graphic novel, which makes the art and the world unique to this story.

Besides the artwork, I found this edition easier to follow than the previous one. The story is about Maika, also known as ‘Halfwolf’ as she t
Silvana
Just when I thought it could not be even more complicated. I enjoyed the previous installments better.

It is easy to get lost among characters, especially factions, even though we have visuals.

There were new characters (and a new faction) but the worldbuilding felt a bit forced/prolonged.

I did enjoy Kippa's adventure (though some images were quite nightmare-inducing) and Ren's storyline. The rest - if not because of the fantastic visuals - are just alright, nothing special.

Except maybe that sc
Acqua
Rereading all the previous installments before getting to this was the best choice I could have done, and I ended up enjoying The Chosen immensely; I think it might even be my favorite so far. I mean, this series is somehow managing to get gayer with every volume, so I'm not surprised.

It's still difficult to follow, but after a few rereads I think I can more or less see the outline of what is going on right now, even though I'm still confused about certain details; and while the scope of all of
Karima chermiti

#1: Monstress, Vol. 1: Awakening : 3 Stars
#2: Monstress, Vol. 2: The Blood : 4 Stars
#3: Monstress, Vol. 3: Haven : 4 Stars

3.5 “ Deadly “ Stars

I struggled with this one a little bit. I don’t know why I felt like I haven’t read the three other Volumes before this one but it was like the story slipped through my fingers. Luckily, I was reminded by the recent events at the start of this one and that helped a lot.

Monstress, Vol. 4: The Chosen picks up after the catastrophic events of the previous bo
Amanda
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Things got complicated (and somewhat confusing) for our characters in this installment. I liked this one but not quite as much as the previous ones. The artwork continues to be stunning and I will definitely be continuing on.
Ashley
Star Rating: —> 5 STARS

SO EFFING BEAUTIFUL! Such an intriguing plot! I cant get enough of moriko halfwolf, kippa, ren, etc...

This story gets more and more interesting with every vol. i tried to read it as slow as humanly possible, like little bit heeeere... little bit there.... haha but it didn’t work so well; i still finished it in 3 days time, no matter how many moments, other books, whatever in between 😂
Taylor
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great installment!! I honestly have no idea where these next volumes are going to go, but I can’t wait.
Mara
Apr 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: physical-owned
3.5 Stars-- Not my favorite in the series, but I do think this was a big step forward narratively. As in... I think I finally get where the narrative is going :). Artwork was GORG as always, and I did enjoy getting more about Kippa
Faith M ✨
I mean, it was fine. I enjoyed it enough (especially compared to the garbage fire that was the last one) but I put this down for a few weeks and literally forgot I was reading it.
Fafa's Book Corner
Oct 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
Mini review:

Trigger warning: Pretty much everything.

DNF

I've read all the previous installments, so I was really excited to read this volume! Unfortunately I was utterly disappointed.

I've felt that the series has been declining a bit. I was really hoping that this volume would make the wait worth it. Alas it didn't.

But you know what? Half truths and mind games can only keep a plot going on for so long. And this was the limit.

I don't recommend.
Matthew Quann
Always a pleasure to be browsing through the book store and find that a new volume of Monstress has dropped. As always, terrific artwork and a somewhat difficult-to-follow series of plots. This volume answers some questions about the world and Maika's curious affliction/possession by Elder God. This is a comic where I frequently get lost in the sauce: I wish it had a dramatis personae and a glossary. Eh, maybe I should just give these first four volumes a re-read before the next one drops.

In any
Chris Lemmerman
After the previous volume's high octane action, Monstress takes a slower approach for the next six issues as Maika meets her father and begins to uncover more of the mystery surrounding the Shaman-Empress and the Monstrum, while Kippa slowly comes into her own.

Political maneuvering is the name of the game, with a lot of talking going on and not a lot of progression. Some of it is important exposition, and I expect the rest of it will have far more meaning going forward, but for now this one feel
Allison Hurd
Another great installment. I think the pacing was better here. I'm getting a little frustrated at the "Maika is an impatient asshole" story line that allows us to have big reveals because she never listens, but that is probably in part because I am reading everything all at once, which I don't do because I start to nitpick.

Here is me nitpicking.

CONTENT WARNINGS (just a list of topics): (view spoiler)
Sahitya
I’m going for a 3.5 again.

As always, the art style tends to be one of the best I’ve ever seen - intricate, detailed and excellent color scheme. This book also had some new monsters and machines and I thought they were all illustrated beautifully.

I still won’t talk much about the plot because I can only follow it barely. But everyone is preparing for war and we have new players in the field, and I think we are heading towards some explosive action sequences in the upcoming books.

Whatever I feel a
Emma
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Things are becoming clearer!
Jessaca Willis
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Samidha; समिधा
Okay, I love this series but something’s gotta happen now. I feel like since volume one there has just been a build up of folklore, setting, and characters and not once have we gotten the full scoop. You can only pile on so many suspense plots before you loose your reader. And they’re losing me, by god, they are losing me.

I hope Volume 5 finally sees some culmination in action and not just people talking about an impending war without actually telling us the background of the pervious war and t
Alondra Miller
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars

I'm sorry, but I just love this damned series.

Someone will say, "I lied before, but I am not lying now. Trust me".... they be lyin' through their fucking teeth. That is the whole series. Arcanics, Humans, Old Gods, etc. Everyone is backstabbing everyone, and Maika is like, "Fuck it; i'll kill them all."

I like that bitch.

Current song: Do you love what you feel? Rufus & Chaka Khan... makes no sense, but hey.
Jerrie (redwritinghood)
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Stunning art, as usual, for this one. The story is complex and was a little hard to follow in this issue. I got the feeling that mainly the characters are being positioned for the next installment. Good to see more of Kippa’s backstory in this one. 3.5⭐️
Konstantin
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
My average rating for the issues of this installment lands around 3.0, but it simply doesn't feel like a 3-star book to me - even less so when I take into the account that it is the exact same rating I gave to the first volume, which is in an entirely different league than this one.

Overall, a slim, unengaging, small-scoped, low-staked - and yes, boring - volume. Personally, it felt like the weakest one in the series by far. If the authors choose to create another installment, hopefully it will b
Shannon
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Individual issue reviews: #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | #24

Current review score: 3.5

• Paper Girls, Vol. 6
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 9: Okay (the wicked + the divine #9)
  • Ascender, Vol. 1: The Haunted Galaxy
  • Die, Vol. 1: Fantasy Heartbreaker
  • Die, Vol. 2: Split the Party
  • Invisible Kingdom, Vol. 1
  • Snow, Glass, Apples [Chapbook]
  • Gideon Falls, Vol. 3: Stations of the Cross
  • LaGuardia
  • The Archronology of Love
  • The Once and Future King (Rat Queens Vol. 7)
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 5
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 8: Old Is the New New (The Wicked + The Divine #8)
  • Lazarus, Vol. 6: Fracture I
  • Ascender, Vol. 2: The Dead Sea
  • Blackbird, Vol. 1
New York Times bestselling and award-winning writer Marjorie Liu is best known for her fiction and comic books. She teaches comic book writing at MIT, and she leads a class on Popular Fiction at the Voices of Our Nation (VONA) workshop.

Ms. Liu is a highly celebrated comic book writer. Her extensive work with Marvel includes the bestselling Dark Wolverine series, NYX: No Way Home, X-23, and Black

Monstress (5 books)
  • Monstress, Vol. 1: Awakening
  • Monstress, Vol. 2: The Blood
  • Monstress, Vol. 3: Haven
  • Monstress, Vol. 5: Warchild

Articles featuring this book

Marjorie Liu is the author of more than 19 novels and the co-creator and writer of the award-winning horror fantasy...
“He is not my father.”
“So said every unhappy daughter.”
2 likes