Start by marking “Is There Still Sex in the City?” as Want to Read:
Is There Still Sex in the City?

Is There Still Sex in the City?

Twenty years after her sharp, seminal first book Sex and the City reshaped the landscape of pop culture and dating with its fly on the wall look at the mating rituals of the Manhattan elite, the trailblazing Candace Bushnell delivers a new book on the wilds and lows of sex and dating after fifty.

Set between the Upper East Side of Manhattan and a country enclave known as
Published May 2019 by Grove Press

To ask other readers questions about Is There Still Sex in the City?, please sign up.
FreshBrewBooks This book follows the author's own experiences as a divorcee in her fifties, navigating a new world of dating. It doesn't follow the adventures of…moreThis book follows the author's own experiences as a divorcee in her fifties, navigating a new world of dating. It doesn't follow the adventures of Carrie, Samantha, Miranda or Charlotte. It was interesting to read her perspective on a new dating landscape but I felt that the title was very misleading. I definitely thought I was picking up a continuation of the original, fictional story. (less)

Start your review of Is There Still Sex in the City?
MissBecka
A new SATC book? Yes Please!
I was so excited to have some new material about some of my favourite fictional characters.

Sadly, despite the title and the book's description...that is not what I got.

Instead I got the author's notes on her personal life after a divorce and navigating her fifties.
Despite being written by the person who brought Carrie, Charlotte, Miranda and Samantha to life...this was not good. I would go so far as to say it was even down right boring.

Thank you (?) to NetGalley
Eilonwy
Aug 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I've never watched a single episode of "Sex and the City" or read any other books by Candace Bushnell, so I came into this book absolutely cold, with no expectations.

It's got an unusual style/format: It's a sort-of memoir combined with sort-of anthropological observations and categorizations of people and experiences. Candace gets divorced, hangs out with other middle-aged women who have either remained single or are also divorced, goes on Tinder, buys $4000 face cream, worries about money
Jennifer Blankfein
Follow Book Nation by Jen for all reviews and recommendations.

If you loved Sex and the City and the dating adventures of the iconic women friends in NYC, you will love Candace Bushnell's new book that is a satirical tale based on her life leading up to and after divorce and how she and her single, divorced and widowed friends tried to get back in the game in middle age. Filled with heartbreaking and humorous anecdotes revealing adventures and challenges, Bushnell tells it like it is, sex and
The Cats’ Mother
Dammit, I was 3 paragraphs in to my review and didn't notice the iPad battery was running down... and just like that, it was gone! Starting over, sigh.

I loved Sex and the City, the TV show. Beginning during my single late 20s, it was a backdrop to my moving to the other side of the world, and finding The One. I organised SATC girls' nights, where we would get together to snack, drink, watch episodes from my boxed sets and discuss our relationships. It was funny, controversial, thought-provoking
Brooklyn Tayla
A huge thank you to Hachette Australia for providing me with a copy of Candace Bushnell’s new memoir to read and review! I absolutely loved this book and couldn’t put it down – I finished it in one sitting!!
I’ve longtime been a fan of Candace Bushnell’s work,Sex in The Cityis a book that I often enjoyed many times over, as well as herThe Carrie DiariesandSummer In The Citytoo! But there was just something all the more impressive and addictive that was this book, I think, for me, it was just that
Jypsy
I had to read Is There Still Sex in the City because I loved the show. This is the middle age after divorce story. Of course, it's also about female friendships and ridiculous shoes. The story felt like a cliche, and it was depressing. Where are the good men? Men are pigs, etc. I've heard this before. I was really hoping for something more original. Not what I expected unfortunately. Thanks to NetGalley for an arc in exchange for an honest review.
Helen Leecy
I’m writing this review as I read as there is quite a lot to comment on!)
Well, I’m 3% in, and it’s so depressing! Her dog just died, she’s telling the tale of her mum dying, and her husband asks for a divorce! All of this is described factually and with no emotion! I’m just sat here, with my mouth wide open, thinking what on earth am I reading! This is all just a segue into why the book has been written; I can’t call it an introduction because so much unbelievable stuff happens within this first
Lisa Leone-campbell
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Is There Still Sex In The City is Bushnell's follow up book to her blockbuster Sex and the City.

Now middle-aged, Bushnell and her friends Sassy, Kitty, Queenie, Tilda Ta and Marilyn are all experiencing mid-life and all that entails. Bushnell herself, after marrying in her forties, finds herself getting divorced and having to start all over in a dating world filled with all types of new social media. And of course, true to form each essay starts with a question.

And so the big question is can
Heena Rathore P.
I read this book because of Candace Bushnell (and who else!) I absolutely fell in love with the movies Sex And The City and Sex In The City 2 and so, obviously, when I saw Bushnell's latest on NetGalley, I had to read it. But unfortunately, the book on the whole and the writing, in particular, failed to seduce me the way the movies did. It lacked the whole charm and charisma the movie and its characters had.

Moreover, the story progressed so speedily that in just two-three kindle pages, the main
Mikayla
Aug 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Bushnell’s stories would be much more digestible if she actually admitted to her riches. That I am supposed to believe she is living this middle class lifestyle is simply bs. She goes on for pages about how she purchased a discounted ($400) Ralph Lauren jacket and gawked at the original price tag. So while she may not be super rich like the billionaires she spends her time partying with, she still has money. If she admitted she was still far better off than many of her readers, it would be much ...more
Kawtar Morchid
Oct 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, 2019
I'm having an awful reading slump so this book saved me.
R.
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Still Looking for Mister Goodbar, or Noth by Nothwest
Each summer, I try to read at least one book of pure candy fluff. Although there are sobering incidents, and perhaps more autumnal sadness than you'd want from your lipstick smeared and sun lotion stained beach read, Bushnell's scoping of her sixth decade fit the bill. I only think things could have gone much better for her and her friends if they'd skipped the art show openings and cocktail lounges and Tinder and signed up at FarmersOnly dot
Richardas
This is an extremely light and quick read that will not take the reader long to discover that yes, there still is sex, the city, and much more, for e.g.: the village, divorce, and disappointment, that life does not always turn out the way one plans, and even if it does, it is not always as rosy as one initially envisaged.

Bushnell covers a number of relevant topics such as aging, love, social media, loneliness, friendships, grief, to name a few, but each topic, like her characters in this book
Edna
Feb 16, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to NetGalley for the advance copy of the book, Is There Still Sex in the City?
Wow, Not a very good read. I felt very sad and uncomfortable about this whole thing. It seemed the writer was trying far too hard to make everything funny....everything. It became desperate and a rolling mess.I am in the 50s and please know, I have never seen anyone so out on a limb like this. I could not recommend this at all. Not fun, not comedy.
The Description of the book was not even close to making this a
Alyssa Smith
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to the author, the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC.

Personally, I love Candace Bushnell. SATC was before my time, but my aunts got me into the show, and so my sister and I religiously binge watched it all the way through multiple times. I learned a lot from the show about my own sexuality, my own independence and the importance of close female friendships. Because of my love for the show, I branched our and devoured everything from Bushnell that I could, and I don’t regret it. It
Trina
Is There Still Sex in the City? was such a fun read. As a Sex in the City superfan, I enjoyed reading this newest book by Candace Bushnell. This well-written book reads like a collection of short stories/journal entries and focuses on how six friends discover all the things that life has to offer women who are midlife dating, the concept of “cubbing”, vaginal restoration and so much more. It was fun and light and mirthful. A few times I actually laughed out loud.

I received a review copy of this
Tiffany Foskey
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
I haved loved Candace Bushnell's previous books but this one was a negative for me indefinitely. Sry but my opinion is mine alone and I hope everyone else enjoys. Thank you to Netgalley and Grove Atlantic for my honest review
R.M.
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
You can also read this review in my blog.

I was really excited and curious about this book. I had it on my Kindle for a while, but when I don’t fall in love with the beginning of a book, it’s more difficult to keep a steady reading pace. That’s what happened with ‘Is There Still Sex in The City?‘.

But why?

I loved the 'Sex and The City' TV show (note, I’ve never actually read the first book). I suspect many would want to read this for the same reason. Now that’s quite the expectation since this was
Lynne Spreen
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boomer-lit, midlife
When I first started reading this, I hoped Bushnell would range beyond the challenge of women her age finding sex partners, to other issues with which we older people deal. And she did. Wow.

The book could have used a bit more editing. A few commas, etc. No big. And it starts shallow and flip, but then goes deep, but deceptively. You're laughing, and then you see the truth she's revealing.

The book reads like a series proposal! She should get a series on Netflix or Amazon, based on this book. As
Stars In Her Eye
Is There Still Sex in the City is the story of one writer's midlife crisis .
Candace Bushnell finds herself in middle age, divorced and worried about money. Things truly come apart when her dog dies and she moves out to Village. Bushnell chronicles the experience of Tinder "dating", having younger boyfriends, and the suicide of one her close friends.
This is one of the saddest books I have read in a long time. Bushnell refuses to accept she is in a middle life life crisis and gives it a cute name
3.5/ 5 stars

Is There Still Sex in the City is the newest book by author Candace Bushnell. I was a big fan of the tv show Sex and the City and I have enjoyed other books by this author. So I knew that I wanted to read her newest book.

This book is a fictitious account of dating after fifty. However one issue I had is that the narrator/main character is Candace Bushnell. So I was a bit confused if I was reading a non-fiction autobiography. Or if it was pure fiction?

After looking into this I found
FreshBrewBooks
Let me preface this by saying I have been a fan of Sex and the City and Lipstick Jungle, the two series for which Candace Bushnell is best known, for several years. I loved how her characters were so relatable that you either saw yourself or someone you know in each of them.

Unfortunately, overall this book just didn't have that same pull. For starters, I didn't realize this book was non-fiction until nearly 20% of the way into reading it. I thought it was similar to how Bushnell created Carrie
Tara
Oct 17, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Abandoned after 40%.
Ruth
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed by this. Although it had some good moments, on the whole I felt frustrated by Bushnell's conviction through the book that she is lacking in money. She really, clearly isn't. Even whilst claiming she doesn't have the thousands required for weird magical face creams, and then buying some anyway. That grated on me, and rather put me off I'm afraid.
There were some moments with interesting thoughts about getting older, as a woman, and dating when you're older. But I kept hoping
Audrey
Let me just get this out of the way - this is *not* a story about Carrie, Charlotte, Samantha and Miranda. This has nothing to do with the book Sex and the City. Or the TV show. Or the movie. So for anyone looking to get back into that world, that's not what this book is.

Okay. Now let's talk about the book.

This is a series of vignettes by Candace Bushnell. About Candace Bushnell. And about her life now - after her divorce and what it's like to be dating and living in your mid/late 50s-60.

I
BookTrib.com
“Society colludes to tell men they’re a little bit better than they actually are while it tells women they’re a little bit worse.”

One of many sound bites from Candace Bushnell, who twenty years ago had a dramatic impact on pop culture as her Sex and the City brand tracked the escapades of Carrie Bradshaw and friends as they faced the challenges of sex and dating in New York City.

Fast forward to this week as Bushnell, from a slightly different (older) perspective, re-examines life in her new
vitellan
Nov 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
An impulse read in that it presented as something from a perspective and experiential context that's the diametric opposite of mine. This much proved correct.

There's the experience of women and then there's the experience of privileged (often white) women, and I can't tell if she doesn't get anything and the editor did (and so left it in) or if she does but is being deliberately passive in her narration in some pseudo-clever way.

Things that were rage inducing:

The general griping -- one
Brianna - Coffee Books and Bullet Journals
I was never a huge fan of Sex in the City, but I do know the show. This is a nonfiction book about Candace's recent life post divorce and trying to date again as a middle aged woman. It was funny and definitely had its comical moments, I feel like this book lacked a driving central plot throughout the book. It was more like short episodic stories about the dating adventures her and her friends went on in New York. It was a quick and easy read and I enjoyed it for what it was.
Nancy
Oct 01, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a quick read as I did not want to linger on how terrible it is to be an older single woman. Divorce paired with middle age is not kind to women, and the tales the author shared about herself and her friends trying to find a man and/or a new life were depressing. Bushnell writes in a fun breezy manner, but I wasn't the right audience for this book.
Jessica Berry
My problem with this book was the title. This book is mis-titled and misleadingly introduced in the first chapter as a book about whether, quite literally, there is "still sex in the city". Being divorced and in my late 30s myself, I chuckled at the author's first chapter. She loses a dog (although I agree with other reviewers that this was too heartlessly described and borderline sociopathic), a husband, and her home in short order. She flees to her second home, presumably in the country, to ...more

• Inside Out
  • That's What Frenemies Are For
  • A Stranger on the Beach
  • Three Women
  • Fleishman Is in Trouble
Candace Bushnell is the critically acclaimed, international best-selling author of Killing Monica, Sex and the City, Summer and the City, The Carrie Diaries, One Fifth Avenue, Lipstick Jungle, Trading Up, and Four Blondes. Sex and the City, published in 1996, was the basis for the HBO hit series and two subsequent blockbuster movies. Lipstick Jungle became a popular television series on NBC, as ...more
“In the middle-aged softening, you can’t really tell who was a beauty in their twenties from someone who was plain; nor can you believe that the bald guy who now looks like a potato was once a hot stud. And vice versa. He can’t believe you ever had long hair and a body someone would want to see in a bikini. In this syndrome, it’s common to go to parties and run into old friends whom you haven’t seen for a while and who don’t recognize you. Happily, you’ll find yourself able to return the favor all too often.” 1 likes