Start by marking “Growing Things and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Growing Things and Other Stories

Growing Things and Other Stories

A chilling anthology featuring nineteen pieces of short fiction from the multiple award-winning author of the national bestseller The Cabin at the End of the World and A Head Full of Ghosts.

In “The Teacher,” a Bram Stoker Award nominee for best short story, a student is forced to watch a disturbing video that will haunt and torment her and her classmates’ lives.

Four men ro
Published July 2nd 2019 by Titan Books (UK)

To ask other readers questions about Growing Things and Other Stories, please sign up.
Sinead Donnelly
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

karen
NOW AVAILABLE!!!

a collection of stories! from paul tremblay! in which "karen brissette" appears in one and MAYBE two of the stories. although it's pretty clear to ME that there's no 'maybe' about it, coyboy. between the observation of "The cheerful unhinged-ness" of KB's writing style and the mean-but-accurate grousing about "this obnoxious KB person" (well, i NEVER!!), i am absolutely certain of what those letters stand for. PAUL TREMBLAY!!! I WILL SHOW YOU A PSEUDONYM IN A HANDFUL OF DUST!!!

he
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
This review originally published on Cemetery Dance (April 29th, 2019)

“I’m terrible at remembering plot and character specifics…if the story is successful, what I do remember and will never forget is what and how that story makes me feel.”—Paul Tremblay in the “Notes” of Growing Things.

Thank goodness Paul Tremblay kindly bestowed some Author’s Notes upon his readers in the end pages for Growing Things. I was not ready to let go! I needed Paul’s conversational and personal commentary on each story
Char
4.5/5 stars!

Paul Tremblay first appeared on my radar with his book A HEAD OF FULL GHOSTS. Then came DISAPPEARANCE AT DEVIL'S ROCK, which really impressed me. He followed that up with CABIN AT THE END OF THE WORLD, which broke my heart. Now, here he is with a solid collection of stories that I ADORED.

GROWING THINGS is a hefty volume of tales, mostly told already in other publications, but they were almost all new to me. Among them, these stood out the most:

HER RED RIGHT HAND Something about this

053 - The Getaway
069 - Nineteen Snapshots of Dennisport
083 - Where We All Will Be
097 - The Teacher
109 - Notes for "The Barn In the Wild"
125 - _____
253 - The Society of the Monsterhood
267 - H
Lou
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2019 interview with Paul Tremblay On his Growing Things and Other Stories, his characters, writing, recommendations, and inspirations. | More2Read

Morbid tales, haunting, fears and longings, dwellings, ghosts, devils, creatures, monsters inner and outer, melancholy, sisters, fathers and sons, teachers, men and women, and Merry and Marjorie from Head Full of Ghosts back in the narrative.
A myriad of bat shit craziness presented before the reader, hypnotically evoking within the reader all kinds of
Chris DiLeo
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Some fears can only be explored by story. Some emotions can only be communicated by story. Some truths can only be revealed by story" (333).

That quote is from the "Notes" section of GROWING THINGS, an impressive collection of disturbing tales, and I share it here because that quest for exploration and emotion and truth through story is what motivates me to read and to write. If you want to know what I mean by "story truth," read THE THINGS THEY CARRIED by Tim O'Brien.

This book is not slated for
FanFiAddict
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rating: ★★★★★+

Synopsis

A chilling collection of psychological suspense and literary horror from the multiple award-winning author of the national bestseller The Cabin at the End of the World and A Head Full of Ghosts.

A masterful anthology featuring nineteen pieces of short fiction, Growing Things is an exciting glimpse into Paul Tremblay’s fantastically fertile imagination.

Kim Napolitano
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m a huge Paul Tremblay fan and I gave him such a hard time on Twitter that I waited so long for this book. With that said, its the most depressing book I’ve read.. I’m sad over this, there is no hope here, no light... it’s a gut wrenching story after story. 4 stars for the writing but my soul won’t be the same with no redemption, nothing but terrifying black, suicide and dark places. Maybe because it’s summer here and I need the light? Its not in this book.. sorry my friend... I really tried! ...more
Carla (Carla's Book Bits)
Video review here:

This comes out today!! Go out and read this, all! I was fortunate enough to receive an early copy, but it turned out to be one of my top favorite reads of the year and Paul Tremblay is fast becoming an auto-buy author for me. Read it and thank me later! ;)

I received a copy from the publisher in exchange for a review.
ElphaReads
Thanks to NetGalley for providing me with an eARC of this book!

I love Paul Tremblay stories so much that my usual aversion to short stories was overridden. While I am usually a little nervous whenever I start a short story collection, I had no doubt in my mind that I wanted to read GROWING THINGS AND OTHER STORIES, if only because I have such faith in Tremblay as an author. And my faith was once again rewarded, as I found a lot to like in this collection, and in some ways in places I didn't expe
Nicole
Jun 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was quite an interesting and mixed collection of short stories, unfortunately, it wasn't for me.

I don't know what it is about short stories but they just don't do much for me. I find it hard to engage with the stories and characters. I also find that they take me forever to read, because the reading process tends to be quite fragmented.

Overall, I have no 5 stars to any of the stories in this book, there were no stand outs to me. I gave the majority 3 or 2 stars.

My favourite story, was the s
Becky Spratford
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review Coming to Blog and Booklist Magazine Soon
Jess
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Growing Things is an incredible collection of short stories! I adored the way they were all really different as well as the order these were placed. Most left me with a sense of unease. I especially loved how they felt like the perfect length. I feel like I can't really give a synopsis of these as it may give away too much.

"Where We All Will Be" left me unsettled.

"Notes from the Dog Walkers" was a build up to madness.

"It's Against the Law to Feed the Ducks" left me feeling sad and horrified.

"It
Rachel  Drenning
Well. I have come to the conclusion that I am just not a Tremblay fan. I've tried! DADR was decent, but that's the only one I even somewhat cared for.
I didn't read all of the stories in this book, but after reading over half ..I just wasn't impressed.
Wally Flangers
This was an excellent collection of short stories, most of which I thoroughly enjoyed…. Do not be misled by my 3 star rating…. I am extremely strict with my rating system (I presently only have five books on my list that I have given 5 star reviews), especially with short story collections. The only short story collection or anthology I have ever rated higher than 3 stars on “goodreads” is Stephen King’s, “Nightshift”…. And even THAT classic had a few stories that I wasn’t fond of. My 3 star rev ...more
David
Jun 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
I was really looking forward to this book when I saw it on NetGalley. I've read Paul's work before and really dig it. Unfortunately, I struggled with the majority of the stories here.
But, The Getaway was a fantastic story. The way it was written kept the truth about what was happening well hidden. The story with out a title and Where We All Will Be were also great stories. These two creepy and unsettling in a way that is hard to describe. Overall, I didn't dig enough of this book for me to recom
The Library Ladies
(originally reviewed at thelibraryladies.com )

I want to extend a thank you to NetGalley for providing me with an eARC of this book!

I’ll be honest and up front here. I don’t remember if I’ve mentioned it before, but short story collections aren’t really my thing. True, I will pick them up every once in awhile if the book really tantalizes me (hence the collections I’ve read on here), but overall I tend to avoid them. That said, when I found out that Paul Tremblay’s newest book, “Growing Things a
Sinead Donnelly
Paul Tremblay needs to write more books ASAP.

Growing Things: 2 sisters, and some out of control plants. Unsettling and shiver inducing, though I admittedly found it creepier when it was merged with the nightmares of A Head Full of Ghosts. 4/5

Swim Wants to Know...: Drug addict Mom vs. end of the world (maybe). A little hard to follow but definitely intriguing, and plays well with the "what's reality/what's fabricated" vibes. 3/5

Something about Birds: Horror fanboy interviews his idol and gets mor
Nick D
A common thread through all of these stories: nothing is as it seems...or maybe it is.

Growing Things: A story featuring similar characters to Tremblay's novel A Head Full of Ghosts. Bamboo-like plants are growing everywhere, not just in gardens but through concrete sidewalks and up into homes. Sisters Merry and Marjorie live with their father during this crisis. Grade: A-

Swim Wants to Know if it's as Bad as Swim Thinks: A troubled mother no longer able to visit her daughter decides to break that
Kat Dietrich

Growing Things and Other Stories by Paul Tremblay is an anthology of his stories.

First, let me thank Edelweiss, the publisher Harper Collins, and of course the author, for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

My Synopsis…and Opinions
A few words about each of the short stories in this collection:

• Growing Things -- Plants take over the world. I enjoyed this one.
• Swim Wants to Know If It Is As Bad As Swim Thinks -- It’s about a monster,
Heather
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I should note that there’s some mention of animal harm in a couple of the stories.

The title story, Growing Things, is an apocalyptic story in which two girls wait for their father to come home from a supply run as plants take over the world. His stories are rarely just one thing, however, and there are other things going on in that family. Where We All Will Be has people flocking to the ocean like moths to a flame–except for Zane, who isn’t feeling the mysterious pull at all. He goes, however, i
I received a free copy of this book for review thanks to William Morrow and Edelweiss.

Oh boy. I really honestly thought I would love this short story collection. I read A Head Full of Ghosts by Tremblay earlier this year and really enjoyed it, so I was looking forward to experiencing a greater range of his work through an anthology. Sadly this book was not designed for the casual reader. Honestly I was surprised by the sheer amount of references to his other work present in this and, as someone
Melody
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having read two of Paul Tremblay's books ("A Head Full of Ghosts" and "The Cabin at the End of the World") and enjoyed them, I knew I've to read this even though short stories are hardly my usual fare. Yes, this is a collection of nineteen short stories ranging from psychological suspense to literary horror all packed in this anthology and knowing the author's stories can be bizarre in some ways (I mean this in a good way) I read this book with a thrill of anticipation. Although I can't possibly ...more
Alex
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The craftsmanship with words in this collection is impeccable, and the moods created are powerful. I love that this collection is bookended by working adjacent to A Head Full of Ghosts. “Growing Things” is an enjoyable view on the seed that sprouted into AHFOG, and “The Thirteenth Temple” is as close to a sequel as we need.

If you want a sample of what you might find in this collection, “The Teacher” is available to listen as Episode 108 of PseudoPod.

There’
John Lynch
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disclosure: I was provided with a copy by the publisher ahead of release in exchange for an honest review.

5 stars here because Goodreads doesn’t allow for 6

At last, it’s almost here! The Next Paul Tremblay release, Growing things. There is something about Paul Tremblay. Something about his writing that wiggles its way into your mind and leaves you weighing in on what you just read. He has a way of terrifying you with things that initially seem ordinary. Just when you think you know where somethi
Paul
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paul Tremblay is tied with Josh Malerman for the title of my favorite modern horror writer (sorry, boys, you'll just have to share my love). It's always tempting to play amateur psychoanalyst with "weird fiction" writers ("wow -- that's a LOT of Oedipal rage" I've said on more than a few occasions), but Mr. Tremblay helps the reader with an bit of meta self-laceration entitled "Notes from the Dog Walkers," in which a perceptive if intrusive gig-economy cipher deconstructs the Tremblayverse by su ...more
Rod | rodsreads
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Some fears can be explored only by story. Some emotions can be communicated only by story. Some truths can be revealed only by story. That’s the unique experience I crave as a reader and I strive for as a writer.”

Paul Trembley (also known as Mr. Ambiguous Horror) is easily one of my favorite writers. The amount of craftsmanship that goes into his stories is mind-blowing.

If you’re lucky enough to appreciate his style, well then my friend, you’re in for a treat.

A collection of award-winning autho
Beth M.
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Y’all. No, seriously. Y’all! This book just earned a spot on my top 10 of the year so far! 😱

Growing Things is my first experience with the work of Paul Tremblay and it definitely won’t be the last. He has a masterful way of beginning with a real life situation that is slowly infused with just the right amount of terror and anxiety. As the stories spiral into the realm of horror, they keep the reader guessing. Are these situations really as they seem? Are they fantastical? Or could there perhaps
Roger Bailey
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC of this book.

Tremblay is one of the best out there doing horror. I've loved his novels, but didn't enjoy his previous short story collections. This one worked a lot better for me.

"Growing Things" being the spotlighted story here was worrysome for me going in. This appeared in a previous collection and frankly I'm not that big of a fan. However, after finishing this collection it makes sense. With Tremblay you're not always gonna get the ending you want and/or expect; but as t
Harry Jahnke
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this. I like how almost all the stories are open-ended, leaving it up to the reader what happens next and allowing them to fill in the blanks with their own anxieties and fears. Very well done.

Except one story.

The dog walking story is terrible. Remember that episode of the Simpsons where they introduce Poochie into the Itchy and Scratchy cartoon? All of Homer's friends and family gather round to watch the episode and Milhouse sobs, "When are they gonna get to the fireworks facto
« previous 1 3 next »

• 52 Sleepless Nights
  • Worlds Seen in Passing: Ten Years of Tor.com Short Fiction
  • First: Sensual Lesbian Stories of New Beginnings
  • The Mutilation Machination
Paul Tremblay is the author of DISAPPEARANCE AT DEVIL'S ROCK and the award-winning A HEAD FULL OF GHOSTS. His other novels include THE LITTLE SLEEP (Henry Holt), NO SLEEP TILL WONDERLAND (Henry Holt), SWALLOWING A DONKEY'S EYE (Chizine Publications), and the YA novel FLOATING BOY AND THE GIRL WHO COULDN'T FLY (co-written with Stephen Graham Jones, as P. T. Jones).

He is the author of the short sto