Start by marking “In the Haunted House” as Want to Read:
In the Haunted House

In the Haunted House

"This is the house where the scary ones hide. Open the door and step softly inside."

What kind of a house can this be? And why does the person wearing the large sneakers seem to be more frightened than the one in the small pair?
Published September 19th 1994 by Clarion Books (first published September 24th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about In the Haunted House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Haunted House

Calista
The cover looks fun and it drew me in, but the book disappointed me.

A beginner book about some people walking through a Haunted House and all the creepy things they see. They must be very brave. The artwork seemed rushed and the story was simple. This is not my favorite book - let’s say.

I’ve read a few Halloween books this season. This would be very creepy for that 2-4 year old this is written for. I am looking for more tone or mood or something - maybe. It didn’t strike a chord with me

We did
Shelley
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Re-read this today after many years (we'll leave it at that ;) ). I was obsessed with spooky things as a child and love reading scary books. The pictures in this book are beautifully illustrated. Even as an adult I enjoyed everything about this one!

(Do children's books count towards the reading challenge? Oh well!)
Kathryn
This is a fun story for Halloween. It has a slightly "old fashioned" feel (as in, from 1990, haha! Made me nostalgic for my childhood) and there is nothing remarkable about it, but it's a fun, enjoyably-spooky tour through a haunted house. There is a little "mystery" as to who is actually going through the house as all we see are two pairs of legs, the rest of the people just out of sight, until the "surprise" ending (which was fun and kids should enjoy the result!)
Molly
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this more because it's Eve Bunting, but it was just ok for me. Kind of fun, and a cute idea about the dad being more scared than the little girl, but that's a bit over the kids' heads. They did like looking at all the spooky stuff, though, and I like how at the beginning it looks like a genuine haunted house, but then on their way out of the house, you start to notice things like the record player next to the organ that is supposedly playing by itself.
Garren
Sep 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Creepy without feeling the need to delve far into any one aspect. Lots to imagine! I would love to see this book illustrated by different artists.
Kit★
This was my younger brother's when he was a kid, and I found it today along with a stack of other books of his, so I saved em from the trash pile and snagged em up for my kiddo's collection.
Abigail
Oct 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Readers With a Taste for Spooky Fare!
Prolific children's author Eve Bunting, whose Scary, Scary Halloween offered a delightfully spooky holiday poem, delivers another rhyming picture-book thriller with In the Haunted House. "This is the house where the scary ones hide. / Open the door and step softly inside. / An organ is playing a funeral air. / It's playing and playing, but nobody's there." And so begins the tour of the haunted house, with creepy attractions - from peeping mummies to seraphically smiling vampires - galore! The ...more
Dolly
Oct 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I picked up this kit at our local library, figuring it would be a good tape to listen to in the car with our girls. They couldn't wait and wanted me to read the story right away. It's a fun, rhyming tale, with not-too creepy pictures (love the Picasso-like painting!) And the ending shows that while haunted houses can be scary, they are fun, too. We liked this book and are looking forward to listening to it narrated on audiocassette. The library catalog lists the readers as "S. Levy" and "A. Vigo ...more
Josiah
Oct 14, 2009 rated it it was ok
This is perhaps the best haunted house picture book that I've ever read.
To me, the strength of In the Haunted House is the fact that it reads very similarly to what it's like to actually go inside a commercial haunted house, complete with all the uncertainty and nagging fears and insecurity that come with such a trip. Eve Bunting's writing, coupled with the illustrations of Susan Meddaugh, is very evocative of this experience, and how it really unfolds.
This is a pleasingly eerie book, the per
Emorie
What a fun little book about Halloween! This book is about a journey through a haunted house. It's an easy to follow read due to the rhyming and movement of the words. It's fun, engaging, and the illustrations are nice!
Steve Holden
Oct 22, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a Halloween story from my childhood that I can remember. It provides a mysterious, eerie feeling as you go through a haunted house. It has a bit of a surprise at the end, that some students will get. I've liked this one for years and always put it out during this time of year.
Maggie Ignasiak
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This one is the perfect amount of spooky! I couldn't read it for a story time at the library, but it would definitely suit a one on one storytime or be great for a kid's first haunted hayride or house experience.
Heather
Oct 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was super cute! I like that at the end it's a dad and his daughter at a haunted house :)
Rosa Cline
Nov 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: halloween, kids
The text in this storybook was such a delight to read out loud to my 3 year old granddaughter. It was full of witches, ghosts, gouls etc. So it 'may' scare a young child. My granddaughter from time to time acted like she might have been scared but my tone I used and then making it fun she finished the book and even giggled through some of the pages. In the end it's a little girl walking through a haunted house with a grown up.
Mary Ann
This is my favorite Halloween read aloud! Deliciously creepy, but not too scary. Wonderful rhyming text. Pictures that help you imagine being in a haunted house. It celebrates that perfect feeling of loving to be scared, but knowing you're really safe.

While it's fine for 1st/2nd graders, I think that 4th/5th graders will have fun at the rhythm & rhyme. The pictures seem a little young for older kids, but my sense is they'll like it. Any thoughts reading this with 10 year olds?
Cathy
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Two sets of feet enter the haunted house and we follow them throughout until one of them has enough. Kids love to watch for the feet and try to guess what it all means: who is more scared and who wants mor fun!

K -3rd thought it was super scary - so fun to watch their faces. One kinder got up from sitting at my feet and moved to the back of the group and put his head down on the table - too scary for him!
Neil
Oct 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Notes: Good book to read in October around Halloween. It introduces what a haunted house is.

Book Review: Eve Bunting takes you through an exciting journey through a haunted house with two children. Susan Meddaugh does a great job with the illustrations and has you wait till the end to see that it is children who are going through the haunted house as you can only see their feet through most of the book.

Recommend: I would recommend this book to students in grades 1-3.
Eden
Sep 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: halloween, reviewed
A father and daughter enter a spooky house filled with bats, ghosts, witches and so much more!

This is a really enjoyable Halloween picture book. I love the illustrations. They are not scary, but a bit creepy and I really, really like them.

The story is fun, too. A father and daughter explore a haunted house filled with many creepy things. I liked this book.
Katie O'brien
This book is great. It is about a little girl and her dad who go through a haunted house but it is not too scary for children and the fun pictures make it appealing to all ages. It shows that it can be fun to do spooky things like go in a haunted house and they don't always have to be really scary, they can be fun too. It gives a fun playful spin on haunted houses.
Brittany
Jan 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was my all-time favorite book when I was in K-2nd grade. I cannot even begin to guess how many times I checked it out from our library in the Primary building during school. Although it is not as colorful as some books today, it is a great classic that I cannot get enough of! :)
Tam
Oct 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: halloween
Halloween rhyming book.

Excerpt from the book:
"This is the house where the scary ones hide.
Open the door and step softly inside.
An organ is playing a funeral air.
It's playing and playing, but nobody's there."
Christina
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This year for Halloween I decided to give the girls some books instead of candy. I think they will love this book that I picked for them. There are fun flaps that can be lifted and the illustrations by Susan Meddaugh are very cute! This will be a fun book to read with them on Halloween.
Julia
Apr 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, halloween
"This is the house where the scary ones hide / Open the door and step softly inside!"
My students ADORE this book and so do I. Many of them have the sing song-y text memorized and they all beg me to read it long after Halloween is over. A Miss Julia classic! (:
Alice
Sep 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-stars
This is a fun little Halloween book, that you aren't complexly certain about until the last page. The dad's expression on the last page is hilarious. Kids will like it. Still not a huge fan of Eve Bunting but I liked this book!
Ellen Brandt
A Kindergarten/Grade 1 read aloud for October. More fun if the children think of all the scary things that might be inside the haunted house before reading the story. They will probably be right.
The ending is clever too; Guess who is most scared?
Kathryn
Oct 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The basic rhyme of the story is simple and fun and the illustrations not too frightening.

My favorite line:

Out of the house where the scary things hide,
Into the day that's asparkle with sun.

Asparkle, what a wonderful word.
Kathy
Feb 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
For me personally this would get 3 stars, but my son enjoys this book the most out of all the Eve Bunting books we have, so I am giving it 4 stars for him.
Susan Howson
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: littles
Love Eve Bunting! Pretty illustrations and a really funny visual punchline that I didn't expect. Some nice Easter eggs to discover in the illustrations too!
Jessica Click
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a great kids book for Halloween and the pictures are beautiful!
  • Little Goblins Ten
  • Ten Timid Ghosts
  • Miss Smith and the Haunted Library
  • AlphaOops: H Is for Halloween
  • Shake Dem Halloween Bones
Also known as Evelyn Bolton and A.E. Bunting.

Anne Evelyn Bunting, better known as Eve Bunting, is an author with more than 250 books. Her books are diverse in age groups, from picture books to chapter books, and topic, ranging from Thanksgiving to riots in Los Angeles. Eve Bunting has won several awards for her works.

Bunting went to school in Ireland and grew up with storytelling. In Ireland, “The