Start by marking “The Last Human” as Want to Read:
The Last Human

The Last Human

The last human in the universe is on the run from a godlike intelligence in this rip-roaring debut space opera.

Sarya is the civilized galaxy's worst nightmare: a Human.

Most days, Sarya doesn't feel like the most terrifying creature in the galaxy.

Most days, she's got other things on her mind. Like hiding her identity among the hundreds of alien species roaming the
Published March 24th 2020 by Del Rey Books (first published March 22nd 2020)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Human, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Human

Start your review of The Last Human
Bradley
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was immediately hooked on the concept of an enormous galaxy-wide Network of aliens living and cooperating ... but fearing one species above all else: Humans. You know... because we break things. Get all tribal and s**t. We like to exploit weaknesses in others and lord over their spoils because we're a**holes.

Turns out, our main character is the last of this dastardly breed, growing up small in a huge network of Dyson Spheres with countless old alien species categorized in a hierarchy based on
Kemper
Mar 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, cyber, space, aliens, arc, 2020
I received a free advance copy from NetGalley for review.

So this is sci-fi set in the far future where humans caused a bunch of trouble for all the other known alien worlds, and after being driven to the brink of extinction they are still the most hated and feared species in the galaxy.

I cant fault that story logic.

Sarya is the last known human living under a false identity with the protection of her adoptive mother, Shenya the Widow. (Its kind of like having the queen from Aliens as a parent.)
carol.
Mar 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Stephenson
The Last Human is an intriguing sci-fi debut that has a serious case of over-reach. When I began it, I knew nothing except the blurb and that it knocked my friend Geoffs mind sideways, and I looked forward to the experience. I would agree in that the first third was riveting, the second third interesting, although completely different, and the remaining section a bit too esoteric for my tastes.

One of the initial catchy concepts is the interplay of adopted culture between Shenya the Widow, a
Trish
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Picture it!
We are in the future. There is a galaxies-spanning network of alien races, all working together. What links them is the Network. It translates, allows FTL travel etc. In this future, humans no longer exist. They have been deemed too dangerous and were eradicated.
Why though? Was it because we're violent and always prey on the weak instead of collaborating on a huge scale? Was it because we were too stupid compared to these other species? Or maybe we just liked to not become a member
Robin (Bridge Four)
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from NetGalley. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

2.5 Hearts

Last Human started off as Ron Weasleys worst nightmare. The very last human in the universe was raised by a huge spider, a Black Widow to be more precise. You can see Ron shuddering right now cant you. This is a tale of the lost human species, a strange hive mind creature, a mish mash space crew and a huge network mind
Sue Burke
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure: I received an advance copy from the publisher to see if Id like to write a blurb for the cover. It sounded like a fun book, and it was, so heres my blurb: Brimming with sly humor, intelligence, and big ideas.

Let me say a bit more about the novel. You can read the summary here at Goodreads or elsewhere, and its accurate. A young human finds out why shes the last of her kind, which leads her on a long, strange adventure to learn what she can do about it.

I especially enjoyed the
The Captain
Mar 24, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandon-ship
Ahoy there me mateys!  I received this sci-fi eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  So here be me honest musings . . .

I was so excited to be granted a wish to read this book.  The blurb is awesome.  A young human girl, Sarya, is being raised by her adopted mother who happens to be a killer giant black widow spider like thing.  Only Sarya has to keep her identity hidden because she is the last human and humans are considered to be space's most dangerous and terrifying species.
Mar 01, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
3⭐⭐⭐
It begins really well and maintains momentum for over half the book. There are points where I was genuinely and nicely surprised at some of the plot twists. It falls apart slowly, though not completely. It reaches its logical (though incorrect) philosophical conclusion.
What kept this from being a better review was that the author sacrificed his story for his philosophical musings. What kept it from being worse was how well he began.

This was a NETGALLEY gift and all opinions are my own.
Karen’s Library
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
I typically love space operas and have read some really good hard sci-fi books.

With that said, for most of The Last Human, I had no idea what I was reading. There were some really good parts about Sarya the Daughter and her adopted mother, and Sarya with her friend, Eleven, the spacesuit. But thats really all that stands out. The rest was nonsensical to me.

I started wanting to DNF this at about 1/3 in. But I just didnt want to admit that I didnt get it so I kept trudging through. At 50% I took a
Dianne
Feb 16, 2020 rated it liked it
THE LAST HUMAN by Zack Jordan is certainly an original, kind of unusual play on the space opera genre. Imagine being the last human in existence in the galaxy, the masses in dreaded fear of the unknown. That is where Sarya finds herself, hiding in plain sight, lost in a sea of aliens, the unknown and questions that bombard her thoughts. Is it true? Is she a monster? Is she really the last of a race thought to have died out long ago? With only her adoptive mother on her side, how will she ...more
Nancy
This was fun, fast-paced space opera set in some unknown time and unknown galaxy where the universe and various alien species all live harmoniously together except for the humans or lack of. Interesting premise and a story that kept my full attention. Around the last third of the book I felt like some of the concepts were above my tier but overall I enjoyed the book. I received an advance copy from NetGalley.
Lauren Stoolfire
Mar 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Last Human by Zack Jordan is a unique debut space opera sci-fi novel. I really enjoyed how this started off, getting to know our titular character and the world of the story. The first fifty percent is a fun romp, but unfortunately the second half just wasn't for me. I almost quit reading at that point, but I figured I was much to far along to just give up then. If you're a fan of the genre, you may want to give it a try.
Geoff
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Holy crap - what a ride. One of the things you can get from SF is a real sense of wonder from ideas and the realization that there are things way, way, way bigger than yourself. Despite a somewhat slow (but still entertaining) start, this book is that sense of wonder distilled, purified, and then slammed directly into your prefrontal cortex. So, wonder-crack? Yes - this book is wonder-crack. Entertaining and perspective-giving with a side of empathy and garnishes of game theory, horror, and ...more
Beth
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, arc
One of the most fun writing prompts I've seen online is that "Humans are the most feared species in the galaxy due to our particular weirdness," and you can find a ton of hilarious snippets that run with it. Zack Jordan takes this thought in a more serious direction, imagining a galaxy where humans are deemed so dangerous that they have been completely wiped out (except for our plucky hero). We're not privy at first to how Sarya came to be the Last Human, adopted by a Widow, or what it was about ...more
Zoe  Ysabella
Nov 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book follows Sarya, the last human, as she learns that perhaps she is not the last human, and goes on a whirlwind adventure to find the rest of her species. She lives in The Network which connects billions of species together across space, and throughout the book wrestles with the idea of order and chaos in the universe, and if The Network itself is good.

I liked maybe the first half. I thought the idea was really interesting, and Sarya's relationship to her adopted mother, was sweet and
Robin Bonne
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sarya the Daughter becomes Sarya the Destroyer. I loved how the author slowly built up this scifi universe. The alien species were well developed and the tiered intelligence of them was an interesting concept and the agendas of the more intelligent tiers played out in ways I wasnt expecting.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a free copy of this ebook in exchange for an unbiased review.
Nicole (Read Eat Sleep Repeat)
Zack Jordans debut novel The Last Human is science fiction with an intriguing premise. Im just not sure it entirely worked for me.

The basic idea is that this is a world in which hundreds of alien species of varying intelligences live but humans have been deemed too dangerous to exist. But the main character Sarya is humanthe last human, in fact. And she doesnt feel like shes particularly dangerous. So what happened to humanity and how did she survive?

During the first two thirds of The Last
Umairah | Sereadipity
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was ok

The Last Human was a space opera set in a galaxy where the most feared species were Humans due to their destructive natures. In all honesty, I found it quite disappointing: the first half of the book was rather intriguing but that interest was promptly demolished by the second half.

Plot: 1/5
Characters: 2.5/5
Writing: 3.5/5

The story followed a young Human called Sarya who was raised by Shenya the Widow (Widows being one of the many alien species in the book). She was trying to hide her
Jackie
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
Won this in a good reads giveaway. Good interesting read
Anne
Feb 10, 2020 rated it liked it
I'm usually a fan of science fiction so maybe it was the mood I was in, but I had trouble relating to this one. I'm used to being sucked in at the beginning but I struggled to make sense of the plot initially so it was hard going on. It's gotten many rave reviews so it's clear it's just me and it may well be your cup of space opera tea!
Jen
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: march-2020
Perfect for fans of dr who or hitchhikers guide.
Lou Jacobs
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An epic space opera that provides a roller-coaster ride that unfolds across light-years of travel and
centuries of history of a myriad of galaxies and species. One of those rare books that you hate to put down while life happens .. yet, you fear that the fun will end too soon and you know you'll miss these beloved characters. Jordan spins a yarn brimming with warmth, humor and at the same time
he waxes philosophical with expansive ideas. His world building is superb as he seamlessly fleshes out
Beth Cato
Mar 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science, ebook, netgalley
I received this book through NetGalley.

This refreshingly-original science fiction novel follows a teenage girl, the only human known to exist. Shes been raised by Widow, a spider-like entity from a matriarchal society with a passion for murder. The first chapters hooked me right away with the odd juxtaposition of personalities: the very alien Widow, who has come to love this confounding, revolting human, who is very much a teenage girl who wants to fit in with the myriad of alien species on
Ashlee Bree
Feb 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, arcs
As far as space operas go this one was a combination of quirky, original, and cerebral.

Sarya, our plucky protagonist, is the last living descendent of the most dangerous species in the whole of the universe: Human. Living on a space station with her adoptive mother, a sentient eight-legged murderous being called a Widow, she soon finds her life upended when a bounty hunter comes to collect her, destroying her home and sending her on an adventure to uncover the truth about her people. What
Julie
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this book through netgalley. All opinions are my own.

THIS WAS FREAKING MINDBLOWING!!!! seriously one of the best sci-fi books I've ever read!!!! Where do I even start??? How can describe this awesomeness??!! It's always so much harder to review books I loved so much because I just want to scream and say read it!!!

Ok, ok. So let's start with characters. There were so many different characters in this world, I mean, it is a sci-fi story about different species
Kim
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 stars for the first third of the book. 0 stars for the rest.

As other reviewers have noted this book is fun and an entertaining read in the beginning, but it quickly goes downhill. I just couldn't get on-board (heh) with the setup in the second third of this book. The last third was even worse. I decided to split it into three parts considering the way the plot plays out. Tough to write more about that due to spoilers but if you've read the book you probably understand what I mean.

Sarya is a

Publisher: Del Rey
ISBN-100451499816
ISBN-13978-0451499813
Amazon description:

The last human in the universe is on the run from a godlike intelligence in this rip-roaring debut.

Most days, Sarya doesnt feel like the most terrifying creature in the galaxy. Most days, shes got other things on her mind. Like hiding her identity among the hundreds of alien species roaming the corridors
jess  (bibliophilicjester)
I am the worst reviewer and completely forgot to write a proper reaction to this book!! It came out today/yesterday (it's just after midnight), 3/24. I won an arc of this via a Goodreads giveaway, and when I finally started reading it, I had the misfortune of having all kinds of headaches and anxiety; had I been feeling normal (LOL), I would've read this much faster.

So!! I think I've settled on a rating of 4.25 stars, which is absolutely ridiculous of me, but here we are.

This is the sort of
Beth ~~Just One More Chapter I Swear~~
Hello from way up on this sturdy fence that I find myself straddling. I'm stuck here, debating pros and cons, wondering which will prevail and persuade me to its side.

I'll start off by saying that The Last Human is a cute romp through Space. It has a very unique premise with sweeping ideas that are difficult to wrap my brain around at times. Ideas about Life, the unfathomable vastness of the Cosmos and we, cosmic Beings. This is more pronounced in the parts of the story that speak of how awe
Anneke
Book Review: The Last Human
Author: Zack Jordan
Publisher: Random House/Ballantine/Del Rey
Publication Date: March 24, 2020
Review Date: February 23, 2020

From the blurb:
The last human in the universe must battle unfathomable alien intelligencesand confront the truth about humanityin this ambitious, galaxy-spanning debut

A good old-fashioned space opera in a thoroughly fresh package.Andy Weir, author of The Martian

« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Bonds of Brass (The Bloodright Trilogy #1)
  • The Companions
  • Devolution: A Firsthand Account of the Rainier Sasquatch Massacre
  • The Hidden Girl and Other Stories
  • Sixteenth Watch
  • Shorefall (Founders, #2)
  • Providence
  • The Vanished Birds
  • Sea Change
  • Ten Days Gone (A.L. McKittridge #1)
  • The Last Tourist (Milo Weaver #4)
  • The Starless Sea