Jump to ratings and reviews

Happy Cat #4

Humbugged

He’s the world’s most alpha Marine and the last man I should be letting jingle my bells this holiday season.

So why does Clint O’Dell keep running through my thoughts wearing nothing but a Santa hat? And why do I stupidly agree that we should be Christmas friends with benefits?

Someone must have spiked my eggnog.

I don’t do Marines.

Or Santas.

I learned my lesson about both the hard way.

But when Clint steps in to rescue me—from a murderous goose, a rogue reindeer, and the ghost of Christmas Right Now causing trouble in my bakery—I can’t help but wonder if we’re meant to be more than friends.

If maybe Clint is the holiday miracle I’ve been praying for…or if all the magic will disappear with the season.

Humbugged is a laugh out loud holiday romp featuring a Marine with a heart of gold and a baker in need of a hero. Complete with the world's most awkward Christmas caroling, a photoshoot with furry friends, and more naughty baked goods than is good or decent.

First published December 10, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Pippa Grant

52 books7,289 followers
Pippa Grant is a USA Today and #1 Amazon bestselling author who writes romantic comedies that will make tears run down your leg. When she's not reading, writing or sleeping, she's being crowned employee of the month as a stay-at-home mom and housewife trying to prepare her adorable demon spawn to be productive members of society, all the while fantasizing about long walks on the beach with hot chocolate chip cookies.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
78 (2%)
1 star
17 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 449 reviews
Profile Image for Radd Reader.
854 reviews399 followers
December 21, 2019
“I can live without coffee. I can live without sleep. I can live without ever being meme-ed again. But I cannot live without you.”

My girl is so hardcore she headed into battle with nothing but a marble rolling pin.
I dig it. I also dig that she stole my truck to come get me, and that she called in reinforcements in the form of a reindeer.”

Characters
Clint (24, Marine):
The following words/phrases were used to describe Clint: gorgeous, sexy knuckles 🤷‍♀️, badass, marine, delicious, silky hot chocolate voice, goose-whisperer, handsome, prankster, unpredictable, protector, happy, sweet, funny, charming, sensitive, smart, clever, confident.

Clint is close with his family and is spending some time in his hometown doing recruiting for the Marines while he awaits his next orders. The town is obsessed with making memes of Clint and they all portray him as superhuman. It’s hilarious and Clint just eats it up. He is a bit of a town “star” thanks to all the memes. 🤣
“My granddaughter told me the same thing Greta’s nephew said. It’s meem. And our very own Clint is a full-fledged meme star. Just like Chuck Norris!”
“Phoebe flips her phone around to show me a picture, and there’s Clint, in his dress uniform, holding a tiny red-haired man in camo gear, turned into a meme that says Clint O’Dell uses Chuck Norris as a Christmas ornament.”

Some quotes from Clint:
”I got a second chance when I was a kid. I was struck by lightning, but survived without much more than a scratch. I have a patch of white hair near the crown of my head to show for it, and my brothers like to say my personality is permanently warped.“

“I love the Marines. I love being a Marine and I love the Corps itself. I love being part of something bigger than myself, getting jobs done that no other branch of the military is equipped to handle, and turning in at the end of the day knowing my blood, sweat, and tears have made the world a better place.”

“I want to tell myself the truth and I want to know the truth about the people I care about.” His lips quirk up on one side. “And then I want to laugh about everything else.”

Noelle (31, owner of Second Chance Cupcake, former photographer):
The following words/phrases were used to describe Noelle: determined, sexy, sweet, looking for direction, confused, approachable, friendly, seeking approval.

Noelle is fairly new to Happy Cat and is trying to recover from a bad break up, be positive about life and find a place where she fits in. Her dad is a Marine and she absolutely adores him, but she knows first hand how hard life with a military man can be.

Some quotes from Noelle:
”Don’t get attached. It’s good advice in most situations. Attachment almost always leads to disappointment in the end. I learned that lesson as a kid being shuffled around the world from one school to the next.”

“New Noelle, the me who’s choosing holiday cheer over spending yet another December denying that I love eggnog from a can and secretly live for fruitcake—the harder and more cherry-filled the better—is embracing the joy in life, and practicing gratitude for her many blessings.”

“Decorating cupcakes is one of my greatest joys in life. After photography, anyway, but pictures and I are on a break. Sugar and I, however, are going to be together forever.”

“I haven’t seen my mother since I was eight years old. She begged my dad to quit the Marines and when he refused, she quit him. And quit me too, even though I didn’t have any choice in whether or not my dad stayed in the Corps.”

The Story:
Noelle lands in Happy Cat (I believe she was introduced in a previous book) and is determined to start fresh with a positive, upbeat attitude. Her run-ins with the “infamous” Clint O’Dell leave both of them wanting “more”. More friendship, more fun, and of course more hanky-panky 😁

”Where to, Cupcake? I smell more shenanigans afoot.”

My Thoughts:
The following are my thoughts about this book:
- The encounter with the goose made me laugh. 🤣 “My unexpected maybe-friend-maybe-foe is dressed in a green elf costume, complete with a pointy hat. His feathers are snowy white, his beak pink, and he probably weighs in somewhere north of twenty pounds.” “Hey there, buddy, nice outfit,” I coo, because who doesn’t love a compliment?”
“Honk honk honk! Honk honk honk!”
“Okay, so I may be losing it, but that sounded an awful lot like the beginning of “Jingle Bells”

- This town.....😂😂😂 ”The town website is adorable and any place that’s famous for both having a sex toy factory and inventing Dildo Football is my kind of kooky.”
- The senior citizens- OMG 🤦‍♀️ they made me crack up. ”Are you on InstaChat, Noelle? If not, you gotta get on, girl. They’ve got all these me-me things of Clint O’Dell—”
“Half my gingerbread men have lost limbs! The senior citizens are already diving in and grabbing gingerbread pieces like they’re not bothered at all. "Look, Earl! It’s you, if that knee replacement had gone awry!”
“I’m hung like that,” Ari pipes up. “But mine’s mostly gravity.”
“Own it, man.” I fist-bump him. “Take every win you can get.”

- I loved the chemistry and the relationship between Clint and Noelle
- The animals......just another reason to laugh. They definitely all had unique personalities.
- OK....These old people again 😂.....”the Great Senior Caroling Toot Tragedy” 💩💩 ”But as we head to the fire department, the heinie honking gets worse and worse until there’s no denying it—we’re now part of the Carol of the Farts.”
- Clint's sense of humor was endearing. It was easy to fall in love with him ❤️🥰
- The texts between the brothers....🤣🤣 “Jace: if you’re implying that my wife would make Noelle uncomfortable, I’m going to have to put a laxative in the next drink I serve you.”
“Ryan: Yeah, because arming him with explosive diarrhea wouldn’t end poorly for all of us.”

- The O’Delle brothers, all 4 of them.....be still my heart ❤️🥰😍
- I love that Clint & Noelle worked out their “issues” together. They didn’t make decisions in isolation and discussed the options as a couple. 👏 👏👍
- OMG....Nutquacker the goose had its own epilogue. ROFL 🤣🤣🤣 ”sadly, I can’t tell you about how I was adopted by Santa Claus and became an honorary elf. How I worked my way through the ranks until I scored an audition for the reindeer team. Or how I became the first goose in history to pull Santa’s sleigh. I can’t tell you any of those things, but if I could, I would assure you that they’re true.”

Overall:
I adored this book. The H/h were great and there wasn’t anything that annoyed me about either of them. H is 24 and h is 31, so there is a slight age gap. But thankfully the H was mature and the age gap didn’t cause any drama.

There are so many things about this book that I found hilarious. I LOL’d many times and I’m sure the people on the plane thought I was a little deranged. ✈️ 😜. I’m actually pretty hard to please when it comes to humor because I absolutely hate books that have over the top, stupid humor and thankfully, this book was not like that. It had the right amount of comedy and a story that kept me completely engaged. There was a small element of “who done it” and i thought it was resolved a little oddly. But aside from that, the rest of the book was fantastic. I was in the mood for a light, upbeat, low-angst, fun Christmas story and this checked all my boxes and then some.

After reading this book I want to live in this town with all the interesting animals, the dirty old women and old-fart men that made me chuckle. And.....how do I become part of the O’Dell family?? (can they adopt me?? Pretty please!! 😁).

I had so much fun with this book, I’m definitely going to go back and read the previous books.

Quotes
“The people of Happy Cat are so nice, and as passionate about their sugar as they are their sex toys”

“People! Gather ’round!” Maud Hutchins yells into a megaphone at the edge of the park. “We’re passing out the setlist. If you don’t know the words, just mouth watermelon watermelon. Also, if you don’t know the words, where have you been the last fifteen years we’ve been caroling?”

“Women as pregnant as I am are always right. People agree with us or we sit on them until they change their minds.”

“He could be dressed as an overgrown baby Jesus in a fleece diaper and I’d still be hot under my elf hat for him.”

“Don’t ruin the snowman snow!” Cassie yells. “Or so help me, gentlemen, I’ll have Sunshine Sex Toys make the tiniest dildos ever and name them after you!”

“Thanks, babe,” Ryan grunts. “This kinda hurts.”
“So does being eighty million months pregnant with your baby, honey.”

“The voice is so familiar and clear, so alive, that I have to clap my fingers to my mouth to hold back a sob. Belatedly, I recall that I’m holding a rolling pin in that hand, and end up smacking myself in the nose.”

Nothing says “holiday love” like giving away free sugar and getting crafty with new friends.”
Profile Image for Syndi.
2,795 reviews616 followers
February 7, 2020
I am surprise to find out that I am noy enjoying this as much as the first book, Hoosed. There is still thay funny moment but it does not appeal to me that much.

Pippa Grant comedy writing seems a bit boring in this book. The chemistry between characters are repeatative and lack of spark. The conversation/ banter somehow seems boring.

For me there is still some part that makes me laugh/ smile a bit. So overall this book is OK read.

3 stars
Profile Image for Elle G. Reads.
1,482 reviews689 followers
December 6, 2019
Release Date: December 10, 2019
Actual Rating: 4.75 stars

Holiday Romance | Romantic Comedy | Can Stand Alone

I don't think I've ever read a book that made me when to go to the beginning of the series like this one. Nutquacker? I loved him. Dirty trash pandas? I loved them even more. And the festive feelings of Christmas and joy made me smile and start feeling the spirit of the holiday. This is my first hoorah in Pippa Grant and Lili Valente’s books, and I have a feeling they are soon going to be some of my most read and beloved authors around. The humor is on par with some of my favorite books from Tara Sivec and Meghan Quinn, and the romance that blossoms between the characters is epic. Because of all this I cannot recommend Humbugged more if I tried. It may not be the most serious book in the world, but it grabs a hold of the holiday feels and made me laugh like a hyena- I really needed this! If you’re in the need for a pick me up or just browsing amazon for a new book to read, make sure to check this one out. You’ll not only fall head over heels for Clint and Noelle but also for the secondary characters (who I believe have their own love stories in previous books) but the wacky animals as well. They just may be my absolute favorite characters to date (and the epilogue is PRICELESS).

As you can see, I loved this book. It’s got a little bit of everything in it and a wide variety of readers are can love it just as much as I did. Here’s a few things you need to know:

▶ This is a holiday themed romance and has all the things we love about Christmas.

▶ This is an age gap romance where the heroine is older than the hero, but truthfully you don’t notice the age difference. The only time you can see it is when it’s specifically stated.

▶ This is a romantic comedy. The kind of romcom that will have you laughing out loud through most of the book. Think the Chocolate Lovers series by Tara Sivec. That’s how funny I found it to be.

▶ This book is VERY LOW on Drama. There’s a tiny bit of suspense to it but I certainly wouldn’t call it a romantic suspense because nothing truly sinister is going. You’ll see what I mean when you read it.

▶ This is a lighthearted read mean to be fun and festive. Don’t go into it thinking your going to be reading a serious and angsty novel because you won’t get that here. It’s lighthearted, charming, and just a whole lot of fun.

Have I convinced you yet? I sure hope so! You don’t want to miss this one. I myself LOVED it and am so excited to start the series from the beginning with HOSED. All books are free for kindle unlimited subscribers (added bonus, right?).
225 reviews6 followers
October 8, 2019
No spoilers here as we still have months to go til release, but I'll just say Clint is my FAVORITE O'Dell brother and he is approaching Ares- levels as one of my fave Pippa heroes, as well.
Profile Image for Carmen Rae.
1,413 reviews163 followers
December 11, 2019
Another happy trip back to Happy Cat to visit my beautiful O'Dell family and this one was Christmas themed. Squeal. Really words can't describe how much this all just worked for me.

The super sexy Clint with all his meme's made me laugh out loud. Especially when it's the town's retirement village leading the charge on the meme making. Those old ladies are such great value. I love their dirty little filterless minds and I so can't wait to be them when I grow up.

Clint was everything I expected a bad ass marine to be and so much sweeter. And he was perfect for Noelle. And I really enjoyed them together.

I honestly was completely convinced for the whole story that I knew exactly what was going on with the bakery that I seriously didn't see the actual storyline coming. And I can't complain because what I got worked so well for everyone.

I hope that this isn't the end of my Happy Cat series now that all of the O'Dell boys are married off because I can't get enough of the town and the crazy animals they have all accepted or adopted. Or the fact that if the place was real I would have my things and hubby packed faster than you could say Chuck Norris who?

But for now I have to go to sleep because it is so late but I couldn't put the book down before I finished it even if my eyes are trying to fall out of my head.
Profile Image for Meryl Markowitz.
521 reviews4 followers
November 27, 2019
I read an advanced copy for an honest review.
Clint O'Dell is a tall glass of Eggnog that every single woman wants to spike and drink! He is freakishly handsome. Memes are created about him and being the youngest in his family as well as a Marine, he sometimes buys into the hype.
Several months ago, he laid eyes on Noelle, the newest resident in town. She is a baker, who can't seem to get any of her recipes to go right, but Clint still wants to eat her cupcakes! Problem is, she has serious issues with men, especially MARINES, and wants nothing to do with Clint, no matter how yummy he may seem.
Incidents and a ghost at her bakery, bring these two together and they decide to be friends with benefits for the holiday season only.
Will they be able to give each other up when their time is over?
What's going on at the bakery? Who is sabatoging it?
Are you ready to laugh to hard that people will either look at you funny or come into the room, where you are reading and find out what is so funny?
This story is an absolute delight, that will have you smiling until the very end!
Profile Image for BookAddict.
1,441 reviews94 followers
November 26, 2019
Buckle up and settle in for the wackiest, most hilarious, heart-warming Christmas you'll ever spend as we return to Happy Cat, GA, with the loveable O'Dell family and their delightful, domesticated animal menagerie. The favorite younger brother, Clint, is home from the Marines for a short period, and just in time for all the family and town's festive traditions.

Noelle Alwyn, daughter of a career military father, thought she had finally settled down with her boyfriend of two years, until he leaves abruptly to seek greener pastures. After a night of self-pity and too much alcohol, Noelle wakes to find that she's purchased a piece of commercial real estate in Happy Cat. Figuring that's as good a place as any to escape her imploded life and lick her wounds, Noelle opens a cupcake bakery in her newly-acquired Happy Cat property.

Noelle is not exactly in the mood to make friends, but the O'Dell women make it all but impossible, with their gentle coaxing, open hearts and judgement-free acceptance. Despite a manic goose that seems to have a vendetta against her and a reindeer that seems love struck where she's concerned, Noelle finds herself softening. Especially when it comes to Clint O'Dell, which is bad. Very bad. Not only is he younger than her and too charming for his own good, but she's done her time with career military, so no thank you.

I can't even explain how much I adore these O'Dell brothers, but Clint? Clint takes not only the cupcake but the entire bakery. He's everybody's hero but still a regular guy, and he loves his family, both the one he was born into as well as his brothers in arms. But as much as he loves the O'Dells and the Marines, he loves Noelle more, and with that huge of a heart on a hunk of a mortal man, just stick a fork in me. I’m done. I'm Team Clint all the way, and both he and Noelle own my heart!

It wouldn’t be Happy Cat without the quirky, charming residents or outrageous critter antics, and this writing team doesn’t disappoint with plenty of zany, hilarious shenanigans. With book world's favorite masked bandit family (the raccoons here take offense to the term “trash panda" because they eat from bowls and plates, TYVM), llamas we all love and a couple of new additions, it’s never a dull moment, although the humans certainly give them a run for their money.

You’ll spew your drink and laugh out loud. You'll “aww" and “squee!” because, O'Dell babies! Your Kindle will get too hot to handle from the steam on the pages and your heart will be squeezed in the best of ways, leaving you with a big, goofy, satisfied grin. Grab your copy today, because this will be one of your very best reading experiences, and it is unforgettable!
Profile Image for Nerdy Dirty & Flirty.
3,985 reviews316 followers
December 9, 2019
description
I’m packing my bags and heading to Happy Cat, Georgia. I am in love with this series, these characters, and this kooky place!! Grant and Valente give us another fabulous story with Humbugged. With Christmas right around the corner, I was in need of a fun holiday story and this book was everything I was looking for.

While we still get to spend time with all our past favorites, this story focuses on the youngest O’Dell, Clint, and the lovely, Noelle. We saw a little spark of something between these two in Hitched so I was eager to get my hands on their book. From the minute I started reading I was completely wrapped up in the story. Clint was swoon worthy, Noelle was brave and endearing, I just loved them both! With numerous laugh out loud moments, an exciting romance, and a surprising mystery, I couldn’t put this one down. I hope we will get to see more of this family and this town, I’m not ready to let them go yet.
Profile Image for Cee Cee Houston.
1,341 reviews21 followers
December 4, 2019
5 hot MARINE stars!!!

If ever a book was undeserving of its title, it’s this one. There’s no ‘humbugging’ going on in this small Georgia town, just plain old holidays’ cheer and HEA’s. Humbugged is the fourth book in the ‘Happy Cat’ series of stand alones by Pippa Grant & Lili Valente.
It’s fun, sweet, sexy and just the best holiday read I’ve had so far this year!!
Clint O’Dell may be the baby of the bunch, and at twenty-four is several years younger than Noelle Alwyn but being a Marine has made him a ‘man’. He’s tough, hard and takes-no-prisoners. He’s also hot as sin, a shiny piece of holiday man-candy that Noelle just can’t resist, try as she might. And she does.
Try that is.
Noelle came to Happy cat to avoid her last heartbreak and isn’t looking to get mixed up with a military guy. She’s had enough of that life growing up.
But, when her new bakery starts having weird events and Clint takes it upon himself to help find the culprit, it’s hard to avoid him.
Clint noticed Noelle the moment he set eyes on her. He wasn’t looking for a commitment, he’s a Marine, he has plenty already. But when love slaps him upside the head, he knows how to take orders. This is one mission he will never lose or bail out on. Noelle is in for the ride of her life. She just doesn’t know it yet.
I love, love, loved this book. I can’t get enough of all things ‘Happy Cat. It was great picking up where we left off with the whole O’Dell family, including George Cooney and his running mates NutQuacker and Don Juan. This is a truly wonderful ‘feel-good’ story worthy of a Hallmark movie. I’d love to see it on the big screen, and I'm betting you will too!!!
Profile Image for Emily.
4,844 reviews516 followers
August 15, 2020
Marine Clint O'Dell is home for the holidays and he has his eyes on local baker Noelle. Noelle though plans to stay away from Clint, she moved to the quirky town to not repeat the troubles of her past. Problem is, Clint is everywhere and he wants to go with her caroling, save her from animals in a rant and when her bakery seems to have a ghost he is by her side. What happens though when Clint gets called back for active service, can Noelle put her heart on the line when she is scared of heartbreak?

This was so fun. Clint is a bit of a goofball but he is such a genuine character you fall for him instantly. Noelle was a bit of a mystery but I liked how her story unfolded. Filled with surprises and all your favorites from the Happy Cat series.
Profile Image for Kitty Thomas.
Author 42 books4,411 followers
December 31, 2020
Loved this! I've listened to the first happy cat book and this book. I need to listen to book 2 and 3 now, so those are on my wish list. I'm probably going to listen to one more holiday book before moving on to non-holiday books.
Profile Image for Maria.
559 reviews19 followers
January 8, 2020
i had a few issues with this book! i didn't like the sudden supernatural twist, it didn't make any sence! the villian this time around was just stupid and delusional, she also got it way too easy for everything she did, she deserved at least to be slaped really hard! while the female lead was really inconsistent to me, she just coulden't make up her mind!
Profile Image for Alley Ciz.
Author 30 books2,082 followers
December 10, 2019
5 senior-citizen fart-inducing gingerbread stars for this book. Read it and you’ll understand lol.

Bring a little holiday cheer and a whole sleigh-full of laughs in book #4 in the Happy Cat world.

Sharpen up your meme making skills and fall in love with Clint and Noelle.
Profile Image for Jen.
1,823 reviews159 followers
December 12, 2019
I've read just one other book from this series and honestly, wasn't impressed. There's a lot of cheap humor in it. But I thought I'd give this Christmas story a listen because despite the setting, the narrators are amazing.

What I found was myself laughing out loud at places. The characters are kind of corny, sure. But there was some witty dialogue and times when things were just funny. The elderly meddling women are pretty funny and the texts between the brothers are hilarious.

Jacob Morgan and Virginia Rose are pretty phenomenal in the audiobook romance narrating community. I have yet to find a book that they've narrated where I didn't care for the performance. The book - I haven't always liked - but the narration is always fantastic. This was no exception.

One other thing I really liked about this story was the May-December aspect. He's 24, she's 31. You'd never have known it from the personalities of the characters. Although he was pretty zany, there was a maturity below the surface. And she was willing to face her issues. I wouldn't call this a particularly believable story, but it was fun. I'd recommend it for the holidays.
1,394 reviews2 followers
November 27, 2019
Heart, humor and (animal) husbandry- three H's to describe what is a definite holiday classic.

Seriously, what an adorable story. We're following the last and youngest O'Dell brother, Clint, who is back from the Marines. He sees Noelle and he falls for her. She needs a little more convincing because apparently, his greatness can't overcome the obstacles of her past. So, what can he do to show her that he's the right man for the job?

This book features a great supporting cast, with characters from the prior books playing a large role. And, not to mention, there's a crafty raccoon (I love me some George Cooney!), a neurotic and slightly psychopathic goose, Nutquacker (how the authors come up with these names...) and a reindeer named Don Juan. (as well as goats and hedgehogs) There's a bit of intrigue and mystery as well, making this a well rounded story.

And this book features two fantastic main protagonists. Clint is so sweet and happy, even though his ego is as big as the North Pole (though played in such an endearing, joking way, I can't help but love him). Noelle is also a sweet woman who wants to get past her Scrooge-ish ways but everything that can go wrong does go wrong for her. Humbug may be too weak a sentiment for what the poor woman has to endure during the holiday season. But have no fear, Noelle IS going to enjoy Christmas and embody the Christmas spirit if Clint has anything to say about it.

Holiday hijinks ensue and I experience copious amounts of laughter, a couple of happy tears, and a crazy amount of holiday spirit. I love visiting Happy Cat and hope to revisit for other happily ever afters.
Profile Image for A Book Lover's Emporium Book Blog.
2,814 reviews145 followers
December 3, 2019
Humbugged is a fun Christmas romance with a hot marine; what could be better? The romance and steam are in perfect balance, a bit of mystery, a touch of the supernatural and a few laughs are a great combination.

What I enjoyed most about Humbugged was the way the authors developed the romance between our leads. It was, like the story on the whole, well-paced and involved relatable and well developed characters. Noelle is the new girl in town, determined to turn her life around and start to enjoy Christmas. Clint is the hometown hero, a marine who has a crazy and lovable family.

This is a standalone story, yet I was aware while reading that there were previously linked books. This didn't affect my enjoyment of Humbugged, but I think I would have had a deeper connection to the characters and story if I had read the other books in the series.

The only downside for me was that I'm not a fan of far fetched situations, especially those involving animals. While reading Humbugged there were a few unbelievable scenarios that I found a bit eye-roll worthy. Some enjoy cutesy, silly animals that have human-like behaviours, but personally I find such things cringy. I also found the name of the town, Happy Cat bizarre. This aside, I enjoyed reading Humbugged and I would read more from this series.
Profile Image for Jypsy .
1,523 reviews74 followers
December 14, 2019
Thank you Give Me Books and the author for a complimentary copy. I voluntarily reviewed this book. All opinions expressed are my own.

Humbugged
By: Pippa Grant, Lili Valente

*REVIEW* ❄❄❄❄
Take a Christmas trip to Happy Cat, Georgia and get Humbugged. This was another charming and fun holiday read for me this year. Noelle is new in town and on the mend. Clint is a returning Marine. These two meet, and fate takes its course. The characters are likeable and warm hearted. I liked everything except the kind of paranormal aspect which I thought was out of place. Otherwise, this is just a fast easy seasonal story that will make you smile.
Profile Image for Johanna.
612 reviews21 followers
December 11, 2021
Neighbors to friends to friends with benefits to Happily Ever After 😍

This story was super sweet, and this family is hilarious. This is the second one I have personally listened to in the series and will definitely do the other two at some point.

The animals were the best addition to the series also!

Jacob Morgan voicing the animals at the end 😂😂😂
Virginia Rose is a dream also!
Profile Image for Alex in Spades.
836 reviews35 followers
January 5, 2020
3,5 Raindeer Stars

Cute, funny and a bit crazy Christmas story straight from Happy Cat. One hunky and sexy Marine and a cute, but fierce Cupcake on their way to love town. I loved this little but nuts town since book one, and I'm truly happy that everyone got their happy ending.

Virginia Rose and Jacob Morgan were amazing narrating. They've got me into the Holliday spirit. Also what Jacob did in the last chapter deserves a big ovation. It was just precious and I laughed like crazy.
Profile Image for Pineapples and Coffee Book Reviews.
396 reviews20 followers
December 21, 2021
This book is such a treat. I’m always elated to return to Happy Cat! Noelle is newish in town; she’s starting out fresh in a new town and a new bakery business. The daughter of a single father Marine, she’s traveled and been separated from her Dad while growing up. She’s having a little trouble acclimating to life in Happy Cat, but slowly she begins to relax a little by letting people in and forming friendships with the O’Dell’s. Clint O’Dell is the baby of the family, but he’s a doer and takes care of everyone and everything around him. He’s the human embodiment of the word brave. He and Noelle are attracted to each other. They start as friends but there are undeniable sparks between them. All I can say is that Clint is amazing. He nicknamed Noelle “Cupcake,” I mean, that’s adorable and swooney. But Clint is absolutely unexpected, adorable and a man’s man.
And a big shout out to the authors for giving Clint some amazing personality traits as the “baby” of the family!
You’ll want your Christmas tree, a cup of hot cocoa or tea and a free evening to enjoy this magical holiday trip to Happy Cat! Because there is magic! 🎄
Profile Image for Anna.
1,036 reviews41 followers
December 12, 2019
I devoured this in one sitting! Clint & Noelle...Floved!!

It's that time of year. Holiday romances abound and you'll want to add this one to your library!! Pippa & Lili do it again!

Happy Cat FTW!!

And Clint O'Dell...dreamy!

Noelle may be my favorite of the women. She's feisty, determined, funny, and simply amazing.

Noelle has come to Happy Cat to escape. She wants to put her sadness behind her. And bake cupcakes. Unfortunately, someone doesn't agree with her plans.

Clint is completely mesmerized by Noelle and is determined she see him as more than a friend but he justs wants her in his life however he can get her.

Family, friends, anthropomorphic animals, Christmas magic, sexy Santas, ghosts, a town that embraces the unique, a dash of drama, and a heartwarming, hysterical journey to the HEA.

Clint proves that lightning can strike twice.

I received a review copy. I am voluntarily leaving an honest review.
Profile Image for Red Cheeks Reads.
2,149 reviews367 followers
4.5 SMOOCHES!

I’ve read all the books in the Happy Cat series by Lili Valente and Pippa Grant, and I have thoroughly enjoyed each one. These two authors are fantastic together! Their writing styles blend smoothly, transitioning seamlessly between the two authors and coming together into a perfectly cohesive story. This story flowed so consistently, I honestly couldn’t tell who was writing what, which is exactly what I want in a collaborative effort. They clearly have compatible senses of humor, because the stuff they’ve come up with in this series have been fresh, fun and seriously funny.

Humbugged, the fourth book in the Happy Cat series, was just as charming as the other books in the series. A romantic comedy set in the wacky Southern small town of Happy Cat, and it stars the town’s resident Marine and all-around-good-guy, Clint, as the hero, and the klutzy cupcake-baking town newcomer, Noelle, as the heroine. A friends-to-lovers romance, Clint and Noelle turn the heat up this holiday season with by adding some spicy benefits to their friendship. Noelle has been burned by love, so she’s got some very distinct ideas about what she wants in a man, and she’s so sure that Clint isn’t that guy. Clint is Happy Cat’s version of Chuck Norris, well, at least according to the memes, and he lives up to every single one of them. Always there to lend a hand, he is who the townspeople call when anything is going down, something that seems to be happening a bit more frequently to Noelle. There was plenty of action in this story, along with a good bit of seasonal suspense. Of course this series wouldn’t be complete without the town’s furry and feathered friends—Nutquacker, the world’s fastest and loudest goose; Chewbaca, the llama; and George Cooney and his family of trash pandas—popping up at the worst possible moments.

Humbugged had an almost slap-stick-like quality to the comedic portion of the plot, and I was audibly laughing and grinning the whole way through it. Full of endearing side characters, a hilariously entertaining plot with a bit of a suspenseful spin to it, and a sweet, steamy romance, this amusing romantic comedy kept me happily tapping my Kindle. Humbugged by Pippa Grant and Lili Valente gets 4.5 smooches from me!
~Danielle Palumbo
December 2, 2019
*** 4.5 Stars ***

Humbugged by Pippa Grant and Lili Valente is a contemporary, holiday, romantic comedy told in first person, dual POV. It is book four in the Happy Cat series and can be read as a standalone. Although it's unnecessary to read Hosed, Hammered, or Hitched first, doing so enhances the reading experience when previous characters reappear.

Clint O'Dell is heroic, kind, sexy, funny, and has a reputation of near perfection - so much so that the townsfolk of Happy Cat make memes about it. His latest assignment from the Marines has him home working as a recruiter, and he's happy to spend the holidays with his family after being overseas for so long.

Heartbreak brought Noelle Alwyn to Happy Cat to open a bakery. When Clint meets her, he's instantly smitten. Despite his charm and a mutual attraction, Noelle's not interested in a relationship with Clint but she agrees to a holiday friends with benefits arrangement. But it's hard to avoid catching feelings when strange things keep happening around her bakery and Clint keeps coming to the rescue.

What's going on at the bakery? Is there a ghost? Is somebody trying to harm Noelle, scare her, or run her out of town? And how long will she be able to resist Clint's meme-tastic charms? Read the book to find out!

I had been looking forward to Clint's story and was not disappointed at all. It was filled with all the things we love about Happy Cat: quirky residents, animal hijinks, the O'Dell brothers, and their significant others. I loved all the characters, but I think Clint may be my favorite in this series. This story was funny, sweet, and romantic with a mystery that hinted at the paranormal. A fun, recommended read.

*** I voluntarily read and reviewed an ARC ***
Profile Image for Storied Conversation.
375 reviews580 followers
December 10, 2019
First can I just say that I loved the name of the town, Happy Cat, GA! This was simply one of the most hilarious and heart-warming books I have read in a while. The O'Dell family is welcoming home the favorite younger brother, Clint, who is home from the Marines for a bit. Nothing better than a hunky Marine!

Until you add in Noelle who ends up purchasing a piece of property in Happy Cat after a night of heavy drinking. Figuring that is the place to mend her broken heart, start over and open her cupcake business she heads for it. The O'Dell women wiggle their ways into Noelle's heart. Even though she wasn't looking to make friends she finds herself with that and more.

I can't begin to tell you how much this book made me laugh out loud and just fall in love. The characters in Happy Cat are so wonderful. The town itself and all of its residents are so lovable and just timeless. I mean they have a lovesick reindeer. What is not to love about that? This is a must read!

This review was originally posted on Wickedly Romance
Profile Image for Emily (Mrs B's Books).
1,519 reviews83 followers
December 11, 2019

These two authors have pulled out all the stops and given us yet another brilliantly witty and funny book in this series.It's certainly had to be a humbug reading this as you cannot help but route for Noelle and Clint to get together and find out that they complete each other.

Clint has wanted Noelle since the moment he laid eyes on her, Noelle on the other hand is trying to cope after a failed relationship had her running from her problems. Joelle grew up a military brat and her ex boyfriend was a professional Santa. Needless to say she has a little thing about xmas and is trying to put on a brave face.

Neither can deny the attraction between them even though Clint is a good few years younger than her, however they agree to a quite friends with benefits situations, however with mysterious things happening in Noels bakery, we get Clint to the rescue and along with a solved mystery we also get a pair of love birds growing together with big decisions in their future.

Certainly a recommended series with lots of funny animal antics.
Profile Image for Eleanor.
927 reviews29 followers
January 20, 2022
4 Nutquacker Stars

Humbugged is the fourth and final book in the Happy Cat by Pippa Grant & Lili Valente.>/i> This is the last Clint O'Dell's story and his adventures with a baker named Noelle. From the first time he sets his eyes on Noelle things never seem to be going right for her or her cupcakes. Clint can't seem to get her out of his mind and wants a chance to get to know her. But Noelle has series issues with men, not only men but also marines and doesn't want anything to do with Clint. But no matter what she does to try avoid him they always end up face to handsome face!

My girl is so hard-core she headed into battle with nothing but a marble rolling pin.

This is a holiday themed romance has a dirty trash pandas, A Christmas goose and a reindeer that appeared from nowhere this book was none stop full of laughs and to be honest craziness! It had all the things we love about Christmas. I would highly recommend this light-hearted, fun, and festive read.

3,851 reviews15 followers
December 4, 2019
Humor and romance
It's a good series (each story can be read separately). I found the first chapters a little long to begin, but as soon as the plot appears, as well as the beginning of the romance between Noelle the baker and Clint the Marine, everything accelerates.
Animals are still characters, who intervene in a humorous way over the story and they create situations that are always quite out of sync.
Noelle bought (by chance after a night of drinking to console herself) a bakery in a city where she does not know anyone. The only thing she knows is that she has to resist Clint, who is charming, helping and whose everyone finds great. But Noelle is out of a relationship and she's not ready to let herself go so easily, not to mention that he is a Marine like her father and that she knows too well the life of a soldier's wife. But when unexplained events happens at the bakery, Clint decides to conduct the investigation while continuing to try to seduce Noelle.
I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book
Profile Image for Courtney.
1,640 reviews1 follower
December 10, 2019
Super cute, funny, and sweet. Clint is this super-hot marine that is always helping others and putting them first. He makes everyone laugh and is all around sweetheart, but no one ever asks what he wants out of life. He has a huge crush on the new baker in town that mostly keeps to herself, Noelle. Noelle has been through a bad breakup that has changed her life and sent her running to this new town and opening a bakery but things have been crazy since she moved there and Clint the hot marine doesn’t help her new motto that she needs to find herself and make herself happy with no distractions. Clint being the big helper that he is sees that Noelle needs help and he makes it his mission to help her so that he may get closer to her. They can’t deny their attraction and soon Noelle sees that she has thrown her motto out the door and is falling for Clint. Throw in some crazy critters like stealing raccoons, an angry goose, and a magical reindeer and hilarity ensues. This is the perfect holiday read to have you laughing and swooning,
Profile Image for Kari Hansen.
8,741 reviews50 followers
December 11, 2019
After finding out her boyfriend isn’t the man she thought he was, she decides a few drinks will help her heartbreak and she wakes up the next morning with regrets but the one thing she doesn’t regret is the land she purchased in Happy Cat. She now finds herself the proud owner of a bakery and she has been embraced by the town whether she wants it or not.

Clint is a Marine who is back in town for the first time in a while to spend the season with his family. From the moment he meets the beautiful baker he is attracted to much more than her sweets, but she has no interest in dating him especially since he is a Marine.

All Noelle wants is to ensure that this will be a Christmas to remember but she wasn’t prepared for the wild and wacky happenings or the fact that Clint was making her question her no dating resolution and if there was ever a man up for the challenge it is him. Humorous banter and antics, hot chemistry and all the feels will have you wanting to spend the holiday season in Happy Cat as well.
Profile Image for Tiera McMillian.
1,149 reviews42 followers
February 28, 2020
Romantic Comedy makes me so happy! Book 4 in the Happy Cat story brings all our favorite characters from the other 3 books together for Christmas along with a new leading lady Noelle who is on the run from her past trying to start anew in Happy Cat the Georgia's leading producer of completely safe, organic sex toys and products. While book 4 continues the hilarity of the last books, I will say that its a little "out there" with the ghosts of Christmas past happening. Of course our favorite raccoon George Cooney is back with all our other beloved animals and their crazy personalities and antics.

Noelle and Clint "freaking legend" Odelle hit it off pretty quick. The Clint Odelle memes and "Chuck Norris" jokes were the highlight of this story for me I think. While I'm not sure that there was a whole lot of adversity for these two. I loved them together! They just fit.

Thoroughly enjoyed this book in the series but I'm kind of sad that all our Odelle brothers are living their HEA's... surely this isn't the end for Happy Cat! I'm hoping to see more of this town and its crazy in the future!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 449 reviews