Start by marking “Two Dark Moons (Sãoni Cycle, #1)” as Want to Read:
Two Dark Moons (Sãoni Cycle, #1)

Two Dark Moons

(Sãoni Cycle #1)

Sohmeng Par is sick of being treated like a child. Ever since a tragic accident brought her mountain community’s coming-of-age ritual to a halt, she’s caused nothing but trouble in her impatience to become an adult. But when she finally has the chance to prove herself, she’s thrown from her life in the mountains and into the terror of the jungle below.

Cornered by a colony
Published July 12th 2019 by Molewhale Press

To ask other readers questions about Two Dark Moons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two Dark Moons

Start your review of Two Dark Moons (Sãoni Cycle, #1)
Bradley
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-shelf, fantasy, ya
I generally read everything. And that means I sometimes read genres that are out of my comfort zone. What's uncomfortable, tho? Fantasy YA romance-ish stuff. :) I don't mind gender fluidity, and for some readers, this is a very big bonus.

So good news! If you like mysterious cataclysms, a return to a pre-technological cave-dwelling existence, and you want sleestacks... oh, wait, these aren't sleestacks, but they are definitely an interesting reptilian race, then you'll find a lot of interesting t
ayşe
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt, 2019
Two Dark Moons is made up of my favourite things, lizards, queerness and a new take on fantasy worlds.

Sohmeng Par is ready to prove to everyone she's ready to grow up if only she would be given a chance. Luckily or unluckily for her, she literally falls out of the world she's grown up in and down into another: one that brings many questions, predators and a possible new family.

The first thing that stood out in this novel was the world-building, Silver has created a world in which gender and so
Claudie Arseneault
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, lgbt, aromantic, indie
I received an eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. Then I did the thing where I don't write the review immediately, and forgot a lot of what I wanted to say. Let's roll with what I remember.

1) This book was AWESOME. I enjoyed it from beginning to end, and it left me very pleased with every minute spent with it.

2) TWO DARK MOONS was an incredibly immersive experience. The worldbuilding is deep and unique and sweeping, it impacts on the entire story, and it expands as the story go
Carisa Catherine
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Please note: I have received a free advanced reader copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I feel like a science teacher who is about to draw something on the board. I feel the need to preface this with "I am not an artist!".
I am not a writer, the goal of my review is just to be as honest as possible.

I loved this book so much, and I wish I had owned this book earlier in my life.\
Silver set out to write a book about all of the things they adore (queerness, self-love and giant lizards
Anthony Geremia
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to win an advance copy of this book in a contest at a local convention. If I was going to explain this book, I’d say that Act 1 is The Millennial Experience filtered through the lens of a group of cave-dwellers living on a mountain in a forest, while Act 2 and onward has serious Princess Mononoke vibes, only the Princess is genderfluid and it’s about reptiles instead of wolves. It’s technically a fantasy book, but the setting is unusual for the genre, a sort of spin on ancient ...more
Reader Views
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed by Amy (age 15) for Reader Views Kids (1/2020)

“Two Dark Moons” is an exciting fantasy for the teen and YA crowd by Avi Silver. I was happy to learn it’s the first in a series because once I started reading it I couldn’t put it down.

Imagine being stuck in a world rigid in rituals – a place where being different means you’re an outcast and individuality is discouraged. That’s what life is like for Sohmeng Par. A trouble-maker since birth, Sohmeng Par is outspoken and wild. She’s also trap
Erin
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
First off, I should say that I received an ARC in return for an honest review of this book.

My favourite thing about this book was probably the world-building; I thought that the way the main character's society is structured around the moons was really interesting, and I would honestly love to learn a lot more about that. I found myself wishing that the glossary at the back of the book had a breakdown of what each surname/moon phase meant (though I realize this would be unnecessary, I just love
Grace Doble
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wishlist
Avi Silver's Two Dark Moons was a riveting read. I devoured it in just two sittings; the world they have created is so interesting and absorbing that you can't easily put the book down.
All of the characters are so complex and even when there's conflict, it's easy to see where everyone is coming from. The world is fascinating and I can't wait to read more of it! I would, and will, recommend this to any of my friends who haven't read it yet.
Errrrrrick
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Low fantasy coming of age story with great gender representation and ecological/environmental aspects. Kind of reminded me of the original Tarzan adventure books in places (but without the racist/sexist garbage they have). Very well written, interesting ideas, very strong first book in a series, and I'll definitely pick up the second one.
Sienna
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I liked the bit with the lizards. Chomp chomp.
A.A. Jankiewicz
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of the most original works of speculative fiction I've had a chance to read up to date and one of my top books for the year.
Parker (Paperback Parker)
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
this was really great, although it did confirm that SF/F is not my comfort genre. i had some trouble with the new language in the book, and i was almost always confused at least a lil 😂 but i loved the characters and relationships a lot and i really appreciated the themes! i am v excited for the sequel, as the stakes feel super high, and i want to learn more about the world. my only gripe w this book is that i felt it needed more transitions between scenes and/or locations. besides being confuse ...more
Sophie A. Katz
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Usually I feel a bit awkward about coming-of-age adventures. I gobbled them up when I was a kid, sure, back when thirteen, sixteen, and eighteen were faraway years and apparently a reasonable time to consider oneself an adult. Now that I’m twenty-five years old, when I look back at the stories of teen heroes claiming themselves as adults, it just doesn’t feel right to me anymore. As much as I love The Little Mermaid, when Ariel says, “I’m sixteen years old; I’m not a child anymore!” I have to wi ...more
J.W.
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series-to-follow
First of all, I should point out that I was given an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

That said:

My first impression of this book was definitely the worldbuilding. Right from the start, it throws a whole new world at you, and it doesn't use a lot of the cultural touchstones of stock fantasy. We don't have castles and farmers, we have semi-nomadic cave dwellers-- but not "caveman" cave dwellers, but ones with what I would vaguely equate to a medieval-ish technology level. Gender and social rol
Maddie Keithan
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to receive an advance reader copy of Two Dark Moons in exchange for a review of my honest opinion. I am certainly no critic or anything of the sort, (in fact, I’m only teenager myself,) but I can say with certainty that this book is definitely one the best I’ve read in a while.

From the beginning, the plot pulls in the reader and makes them want to follow Sohmeng on her journey in Ateng and Eiji. However, the most impressive part of the novel in my opinion is the world buildin
Newt Noble
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Smash together How To Train Your Dragon with fantastical societal astrologies and sprinkle in a headstrong, fat, femme protagonist, an equally headstrong goofball protagonist, and strong LGBTQ and found family themes, and you have a recipe for Two Dark Moons, a book that I (understandably) I finished in one day.

I’ll preface this by saying I have met the author and received an advanced readers copy of the book. Though they are a lovely human being, this is a review of their book alone.

The last Sh
Alessandra
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WOW!! This must be one of the best books (if not THE best book) I read this year. I usually don’t write long reviews but this warrants one.

Two Dark Moons is gripping from the very first page. The premise is intriguing, and the world building is fantastic. I loved how the lunar cycles were incorporated into names and identities, and how it was later challenged. I think the characters were multi-dimensional, real, raw, strong and vulnerable all at once. I don’t even have a favourite, because I lo
Becca Kilday
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I have received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review, but the book will be released to the public on July 12. On to the review. I really enjoyed this book. The lunar phases were confusing at first, but I got it after a few chapters. The relationships are such a big focus, and I loved getting to know the characters and the family dynamics. However, the book also had an amazing balance between the mental character development and awesome battles. Truly, all aspects ...more
Urs Shea
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an Advance Reader Copy in exchange for an honest review.

This book was such a fulfilling read to me, from a queer and an emotional perspective. I don't often get to read books with themes about Gender and your place in society in such a beautiful, fantastical way. Usually when I read Books about Trans or Nonbinary characters, I get dysphoric because it reminds me too much of my real life situation. Two Dark Moons has those themes but wrapped in such a beautiful story and setting that I
Cameron Currie
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A remarkable coming-of-age story… always charming, often clever and humorous, and even chilling at times. Despite being full of arcane, otherworldly astrology and flesh-eating giant lizards, this book centers around those universal truths we all can identify with, and we all need to survive.
Full of interesting and likable characters that pulled me in right from the first page, it’s surprising how quickly I felt a part of the story. I occasionally lost track of time reading it.
If you are a huma
Elliott Dunstan
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book for an honest review.

Ever since Lord of the Rings came out – and even more since the advent of Dungeons and Dragons – fantasy has been struggling with an identity problem. Not every fantasy book is based on Tolkien or Gygax (and in fact, it’s much smaller than many people think) but it’s easy to see where their influences on the genre have been permanent. This has been changing recently, especially with the influx of diverse authorship, own-voices material and inte
Crystal
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am writing this after reading an advanced copy.

I was not sure what to expect upon reading this book, but now that I have finished it, I shall be recommending it to friends and strangers alike. :)

The world building is fab, the details draw you ever further in, the characters are complex and develop well through the story, and the plot twists and wends nicely.

All I can really say is that I hope Avi writes further installments of this story and world. I need more!
Jess
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm a very judgemental person so please believe me when I say that I absolutely loved this book. I haven't had so much fun reading in what feels like forever. I love this world, these characters and these wonderful giant lizards. Growing up feeling like an oddball, outcast, weirdo of a person, this book gave me a feeling that I belong. I cannot wait to read the next one. If anyone knows where I can find my own giant loveable lizard family please let me know. It'd be much appreciated.
Stella Palikarova
For a few different reasons, I don't feel quite right dropping my review of this book. What I'll say is that writing is, for most of us, a release of burdensome purpose; writing with authenticity and offering it up for others to experience and scrutinize is courageous. My wish for Avi Silver is to keep writing, and digging down into the pits of the relentless truths of their journey. In doing so, we may glimpse the world through the eyes of the unfamiliar familiar. :) Bonne chance!
Joy
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A gift of a novel, full of so much heart and tenderness. This little book encompasses both the challenges and the balm of family, both biological and chosen, as well as the importance of environmental stewardship, listening, letting go of what does not serve us, and the ability we all have to grow into our fullness. I am very much looking forward to where this adventure leads next.
Charlotte Ashley
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
My daughter (age 11) bought this at Word on the Street in Toronto and devoured it the day after. She is now gushing and gushing about it! She says she found the beginning a bit confusing or unnecessary, but that it gets “really good” around chapter 5. She would like to know when she can have the sequel!
Meeni Levi
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, lgbtqiap
Absolutely loved this book and all the found family feels it gave me. It has some really relatable protagonists and I adored the vibrant descriptions of the different environments. Was a tiny bit disappointed by the ending in that you could really feel it was setting up the second book, and I would have liked a little more sense of closure. It did leave me hungry for more though!
LilyRay
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredible! A story the likes of which I have not heard or read before. Avi has taken a few of their great loves in astrology and mythical lizards, sprinkled in a bit of queerness, and created something truly magical!
Britt
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A stunning ode to “too-muchness”. A daring spin on the traditional coming of age novel. The exact right quantity of lizards. I would wrap myself in the comfort and naturalness of the dialogue writing like a blanket if it were possible. Just, such a good book.
Leader of the Pack
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great worldbuilding! Silver wraps an engaging story in themes such as ecology, gender, and spirituality. I look forward to the next in this series.

• The Heretic's Guide to Homecoming: Book One: Theory
  • The Empress of Salt and Fortune (The Singing Hills Cycle #1)
  • Fierce Femmes and Notorious Liars
  • Jade City (The Green Bone Saga, #1)
  • The Ascent to Godhood (Tensorate, #4)
  • The Death of the Necromancer (Ile-Rien, #2)
  • The Unspoken Name (The Serpent Gates, #1)
  • The Order of the Pure Moon Reflected in Water
  • Jade War (The Green Bone Saga, #2)
  • The Angel of the Crows