Start by marking “The Old Truck” as Want to Read:
The Old Truck

The Old Truck

When is an old truck something more? On a small, bustling farm, a resilient and steadfast pickup works tirelessly alongside the family that lives there, and becomes a part of the dreams and ambitions of the family’s young daughter.

After long days and years of hard work leave the old truck rusting in the weeds, it’s time for the girl to roll up her sleeves. Soon she is
Published January 7th 2020 by Norton Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Old Truck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Old Truck

Start your review of The Old Truck
Robbi Caldwell
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: h-books, c-books
As a girl who grew up adoring her dad and “helping” him work on cars, who was taught to appreciate old cars and trucks by her parents, who was toted around to various car shows for family vacations, who lives out in the country where I see this story play out all too often, and finally, as a girl grown into a nostalgic woman, this book really made me say, “Oh, my heart.” Lovely. ...more
Cheryl
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Pre-read Squee:

The author of Truck: A Love Story, my favorite, Michael Perry, would appreciate this. His daughters are past picture-book age, but his oldest is, iiuc, so much like the character in this book that she'd love it anyway. And maybe grandkids are on the way. I'll have to recommend it to him, if it doesn't disappoint me.

Guess what! Two of the libraries picked it up on their own initiative, and my local one already has it ready for me after I requested it!!
-----
Done! My only complaint?
Linda
My son-in-law owns an 'old truck' and loves this book, can tell a few stories about those old trucks in his past. Endpapers tell that Jarrett and Jerome Pumphrey created over 250 stamps to create these special illustrations. In it, they celebrate old trucks in their lives and those seen in Texas pastures in this story of a family with one girl who work hard on their farm. And so does their truck. Brief text and lovely illustrations show time passing as the girl grows up and slowly takes apart ...more
Julie
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lots of things to love about this children's picture book. The illustrations are a gentle throwback to a simpler time. The little girl depicted grows into a mechanically inclined woman who eventually fixes her father's beloved old truck, which has fallen into disrepair; she also inherits the family farm. The multigenerational aspect of the story is especially appealing, in which, as a mom, the same farm routines are played out in her life at the end of the book that we see in the beginning with ...more
Anne
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Read it. An old farm truck grows older as a young girl grows up. Lovely stamped illustrations in a simple color palette. History repeats itself.
Jamila
I love this simple narrative about family, farming, perseverance, dreaming, and the passage of time. The illustrations made from uniquely carved stamps (linoleum blocks) are delightful and brilliant!
Sarah Sammis
The life of an old truck as seen through multiple generations of farmers. Illustrations created by making stamps. Very cool!

Tessa
Very cute.
Julie Overpeck aka Mrs. O's Library
Thank you to @nortonyoungreaders for a review copy. All opinions are my own.

I love this book for so many reasons. As far as picture books go, the illustrations are beautiful and the spare text is perfect for young readers. Also, The Old Truck at first glance looks like it is about a farm truck that was used, and then was included in a little girl's imaginative adventures, left in the field to rust, and eventually restored by the farmer whose parents owned it when she was a little girl. But
Susan
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The gentle, muted illustrations in this story took me back to my childhood. It was a time when I lived in a small Indiana town surrounded by old farms. These were farms passed down through multiple generations; usually a bit worn with multiple buildings surrounding an old farmhouse and very often old trucks scattered around on the property. We would pass by these farms as we made the trek to visit both sets of grandparents on almost a weekly basis. I sat in the front seat because I was always ...more
Tina Hoggatt
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful circular story of an old truck on a farm, its work, its dreams, and its continuing life. Written and illustrated charmingly with stamp art by brothers Jarret and Jerome Pumphrey. The bright uplift of the text and illustration together make this a very special book.
Jason
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
What is new becomes old, but sometimes it gets to become new again. And sometimes we have to wait and be patient through long periods of seeming inaction before it's time to start a cycle over again. Whether we're talking about trucks or ideas or self-purpose.
Austin Gullett
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A minimal-style story about time, change, posterity, hard-work. Many things. I think it's a pretty solid metaphor for what I imagine the generational life of a family farm would be. I found it a little somber, very moving, and filled with a sense of pride and dignity.
DaNae
The easy reader text and the simple, direct illustration does nothing to simplify the impact of this perfect picture book.
Linda
Jan 25, 2020 added it
Shelves: picture-books
Illustrations in this picture book are nostalgic and lovely. This is a simple story that shows the progression of time for an inanimate object, while in the background of this picture book, the human character grows up from childhood to adult and re-purposing the old truck.
Emma
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful story and incredible illustration.
Holly
Written and illustrated by two brothers. According to the back flap of the book, they were inspired by their mother and grandmothers, who "exuded grit and determination." Gorgeous story that tracks a hard-working family and its old truck over the years.
Jen
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this sweet story of a farming family and their old truck, brought back to working order by an industrious young woman. The illustrations, made from stamps, are striking and original. My son gives this 100 stars, so I edited my rating. ;)
Rachel Yoder
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I loved the messages of this book—of strong women, gender roles, rural life, persistence... great book!
Earl
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
A delightful new picture book by the Pumphrey brothers inspired by the strong women in their lives. This tells the intertwining tales of an old truck and a young girl as they grow and dream together.
Kristina Jean Lareau
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebook
Sweet!
Ames Public Library Youth Services
A family tirelessly works their small farm, while their old truck works hard too. Eventually the truck is put behind the barn, while dreaming of adventures.

I loved following the generations of this farm family working. The retro style illustrations are fun and I loved the adventures the truck and the young girl have!

-dmz
Cheryl
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love the simplicity of the story and artwork, as well as having a black farming family and then a single mother at the end. Subtle, but impactful.
Mary
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Simple text with beautiful illustrations. Lovely, gentle story.
Tracie
Understated, simple text combines with nuanced illustrations to celebrate imagination and determination through a multi-generational tale of an old truck and a young girl.
Syntha Green
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
a simple, lovely generational story
Stephanie Bange
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A charming circular story.

The old truck works hard on a farm for years for the family, until it finally stops and is abandoned. Years later, the daughter of the farmer who owned the truck (now grown up) repairs the truck and puts it back to work on the farm.

The Pumphrey brothers are sharing credit for both writing the text and illustrating the book. Simple text and repeated words make this an excellent choice for beginning readers. The pacing of the book is slow and perfect -- leaving the reader
Eric
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So beautiful and poetic! Just got this book and it’s quickly become one of my favorites! The simple and poetic text match the deep rich imagery on every page. Highly recommend this read.
Candace Worrell
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Black female farmer coaxing life out of an old automobile. What's not to love?
Oscar Ortiz
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: illustrated-work
Love the retro look of the images. The core message about being a hard worker individual resonated with me. Being appreciative by taking care of "old stuff", like in this case an old truck or a typewriter or any other similar retro artifact talks volume about the traits and values that makes up the person. I hope parents extract the kernel of these lessons and passes them on to their young ones.

• Small in the City
  • Bedtime for Sweet Creatures
  • Just Because
  • In a Jar
  • Birdsong
  • Bear Came Along
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
  • Chick and Brain: Smell My Foot!
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Just Ask!: Be Different, Be Brave, Be You