Start by marking “Friendship: The Evolution, Biology, and Extraordinary Power of Life's Fundamental Bond” as Want to Read:

An engaging and deeply reported investigation of friendship: its evolution, purpose, and centrality in human and nonhuman lives alike.

The bonds of friendship are universal and elemental. In Friendship, journalist Lydia Denworth visits the front lines of the science of friendship in search of its biological, psychological, and evolutionary foundations. Finding it to be as
Expected publication: January 28th 2020 by W. W. Norton Company

To ask other readers questions about Friendship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Friendship

Start your review of Friendship: The Evolution, Biology, and Extraordinary Power of Life's Fundamental Bond
Lydia Denworth
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I not only read this, I wrote it! So I am understandably biased. But upon re-reading it in preparation for publication, I've realized something important. People ask about books you read that change your life. I can say that reporting this book changed my life. It gave me permission to hang out with my friends more. I hope it will do the same for everyone else who reads it.
MBJ
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I got an early copy of the book and I already feel like it has had an impact on me. It is a great kick off book for 2020. Instead of skipping wine in January for my health, I'm having more wine and seeing friends which is far more important and fun. It is a great read filled with both great science and personal anecdotes on the importance of investing in our most basic relationships. It makes a compelling argument for doubling down on good friends. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Leah MacFarlane
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this fascinating book on the science of friendship. The author presents an amazing amount of information in the most readable, compelling way. It is remarkable to find out how friendship has influenced and been influenced by human evolution, and the actual biological power of the friendship bond. Denworth creates wonderful images of her global travels to meet and see in person the network of scientists who are working on this ground-breaking area. They are all so memorably ...more
Moira Bailey
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lydia Denworth’s Friendship translates cutting-edge science in telling a compelling story that details and underscores how close connections are not only necessary - they will extend, and potentially save, our lives. She reveals and revels in a topic that is universally important and endlessly interesting.
Michelle
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lydia Denworth's comprehensive look at the evolution and necessity of friendship is highly informative and engaging. I don't think I've ever devoured a nonfiction book quite this quickly, and that was all due to Denworth's writing style--she ably breaks down even complicated scientific terms and ideas so anyone can understand them by illustrating unfamiliar concepts with stories and analogies from her own life.

Learning more about what scientists are currently discovering about the importance of
Steph Holmes
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate to have read an early release of Lydia Denworth’s book—Friendship: The Evolution, Biology, and Extraordinary Power of Life's Fundamental Bond. It is beautifully written and seamlessly weaves cutting edge science with the essential role of friendship. I was completely engaged by the clear explanations of the work of the scientists who have studied multiple species—from rhesus monkeys to zebra fish—to explain our interactions with certain people and what we expect and, more ...more
Roxanne
Oct 01, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a Goodreads win review. This book is about the Evolution and power of Friendship. It was okay but very scientific.
Daniel Boeck
Shawna

• In the Dark
  • The Starless Sea
  • The Water Dancer
  • The Great Pretender: The Undercover Mission That Changed Our Understanding of Madness
  • How to be a Happier Parent: Raising a Family, Having a Life, and Loving (Almost) Every Minute
  • Red, White & Royal Blue
  • On the Come Up
  • Stay
  • Big Lies in a Small Town
  • Murder Your Darlings: And Other Gentle Writing Advice from Aristotle to Zinsser
  • Religion as We Know It: An Origin Story
  • It’s Not Me, It’s You
  • The Economists' Hour: False Prophets, Free Markets, and the Fracture of Society
Lydia Denworth is a Brooklyn-based science journalist whose work is supported by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation. A contributing writer for Scientific American and Psychology Today, she has also written for the Atlantic and the New York Times.