Start by marking “These Fevered Days: Ten Pivotal Moments in the Making of Emily Dickinson” as Want to Read:
These Fevered Days: Ten Pivotal Moments in the Making of Emily Dickinson

These Fevered Days: Ten Pivotal Moments in the Making of Emily Dickinson

An engaging, intimate portrait of Emily Dickinson, one of America’s greatest and most-mythologized poets, that sheds new light on her groundbreaking poetry.

On August 3, 1845, young Emily Dickinson declared, “All things are ready”—and with this resolute statement, her life as a poet began. Despite spending her days almost entirely “at home” (the occupation listed on her
Expected publication: February 25th 2020 by W. W. Norton Company

To ask other readers questions about These Fevered Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about These Fevered Days

Start your review of These Fevered Days: Ten Pivotal Moments in the Making of Emily Dickinson
Nancy
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
In her Author's Note, Martha Ackmann tells of her first encounter with Emily Dickinson's poetry in high school English when she read, "After great pain, a formal feeling comes--"* Ackmann said she "woke up" and spent a lifetime trying to understand the poem and its effect on her. It's one of my favorite Dickinson poems.

Sadly, the selections in my high school American Lit textbook did nothing for me. When a college friend said he liked Dickinson, I shuddered.

It was Steve Allen's Meeting of Minds
Rose
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
**Disclaimer** I won this ARC from a Goodreads giveaway. I wasn't required to write this review, it just seemed polite to do so after getting a free book.

I think I was enchanted
When first a sombre Girl—
I read that Foreign Lady—
The Dark—felt beautiful—

I remember falling in love with Emily Dickinson's poetry in elementary school. I had an assignment to memorize/present a poem to the class, and being my dramatic self I found and chose the longest poem from the list that I could find.

I started
Laura Vautour
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is an absolute treasure for any fan of Emily Dickinson. I thoroughly enjoyed the description of Emily’s Amherst, her family, her beloved home and her eventual seclusion. Here and there, the episodes of her life are accompanied or illustrated by her poems.

There was a lot about Emily that surprised me, because I had a vague idea of a secluded lady in white drifting around Amherst, Massachusetts in her usual white dress and drawn-back hair. It was a surprise to me to learn of her as a
Emily
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a delight this book is. There is so much we can’t know about Emily Dickinson, but this book, which details ten days in the life of the poet by turning archives into rich and engaging narrative, paints one of the most detailed pictures of her. The center may still be a mystery, but the outline of Emily Dickinson is clearer than ever.
Csimplot Simplot
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book!!!
Mary Nee
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this book ! I am a great fan of Emily Dickinson!
Michelle
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways, owned
I won this book in a giveaway and I really, really liked it. A lot more than I thought I would, even. Poetry isn't really my thing and I can't say I ever knew all that much about Emily Dickinson. This book was fascinating and getting the mix of quotes by her and the words of the author together in the narrative was something I loved. Nearly everyone knows the name Emily Dickinson but to find more about her as a person was neat. Even if there were times where I can say I don't particularly like ...more
Bri

• Eden Mine
  • A Tortoise in the Road
  • Temptation Rag
  • Broke: Hardship and Resilience in a City of Broken Promises
  • Anti-Diet: Reclaim Your Time, Money, Well-Being, and Happiness Through Intuitive Eating
  • I've Seen the Future and I'm Not Going: The Art Scene and Downtown New York in the 1980s
  • Bringing Down the Duke (A League of Extraordinary Women, #1)
  • Letters from Father Christmas
  • I Want to Eat Your Pancreas
  • Black Canary: Ignite
  • Ultimate Bread
  • Mary, Mary
  • The Way You Make Me Feel
  • Name Drop: The Really Good Celebrity Stories I Usually Only Tell at Happy Hour
  • The Golems of Gotham
  • The Cartiers: The Untold Story of the Family Behind the Jewelry Empire
Martha Ackmann, author of These Fevered Days, Curveball, and The Mercury 13, writes about women who have changed America. The recipient of a Guggenheim fellowship, Ackmann taught a popular seminar on Dickinson at Mount Holyoke College, and lives in western Massachusetts.