Start by marking “Goodbye Paris (Pono Hawkins #3)” as Want to Read:
Goodbye Paris (Pono Hawkins #3)

Goodbye Paris

(Pono Hawkins #3)

Special Forces veteran Pono Hawkins races from a Tahiti surfing competition to France when he learns that a terrorist he'd thought was dead, Mustafa al-Boudienne, may have a backpack nuclear weapon and plans to destroy Paris. Pono was once Mustafa's prisoner, and is now the only one left alive to identify him.

Joining forces with former allies from US, French and Russian in
Published June 2019 by Big City Press

Start your review of Goodbye Paris (Pono Hawkins #3)
Ashley

I received an arc copy for honest review from the Publisher and Meryl Moss Media. Thank you so much to them for giving me the opportunity to read Goodbye Paris and share it.
I found Goodbye Paris to be a very average read. It didn't really grip me. For an action thriller, it was kind of a slow read. I'm not getting what makes Pono Hawkins so great or desirable? I'm not getting why all the women want to sleep with him. Why he would have three girlfriends at once.
I feel like this story was kind of
Mark Easter
May 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
There are a lot of things to hate about this book, enough to give it at most two stars. However, after persevering to the end, I found that it got better in the final quarter of the book, and I ended up feeling it was not a completely irritating waste of time. First off, the lead character is terribly juvenile. His sexual proclivities are annoying. His socio-political positions are immature and often conflicting. His inner dialogue is often random, incoherent, and full of non sequiturs and disas ...more
Left Coast Justin
Jan 23, 2021 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: infra-dig
Congratulations, Mr. Bond, your putrid book is in pretty exclusive company, being only the second one-star review I've ever bestowed. To earn this recognition, a book must not merely be badly conceived and badly written, but actively offensive. You are a shitty author.

I started reading this at the DMV while my son was taking his driving test. I wish I'd cast it aside and read the comparatively-fascinating California Driver's Handbook instead.
Jeremy Reppy
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book is heavy on islamophobia, which might be off-putting to some readers. However, it is appropriate in the context of the plotline, which involves a suspected plot by Islamic terrorists to crash a French plane and/or blow-up the Eiffel Tower and/or set off a nuclear bomb in Paris. A significant part of the storyline is the increased Muslim presence in France, including the radicalization of Muslim youth in certain parts of Paris and other French towns and the reluctance/unwillingness of th ...more
Dan Curnutt
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Former Special Forces veteran Pono Hawkins is called back to help the U.S., and the rest of the world, to find a terrorist that he has seen face to face. No one else knows what he looks like.

But when he gets too Paris to help his former team mate find the terrorist he discovers that his team mate has been kidnapped. Then that friends wife also turns up kidnapped.

Will Pono and his new French Connections be able to find his friend alive and in the process stop this terrorist from destroying Paris
Tom Burkholder
Jun 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
In the book Goodbye Paris, author Mike Bond writes about Pono Hawkins, who has been in the Special Forces and is now working for the CIA, kind of.
This was a very choppy read and confusing at time. There was lots of drug use and language as well as it was very anti-Islamic. I would not recommend this book. I received a copy of this e-book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Mary
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a book given to me from Net Galley. I enjoyed it but not as much as some of the books I have been reading. Pono Hawkins is an x-Army guy, living right now in Tahiti with 3 girlfriends. They are not happy about sharing him three ways. He is only in Tahiti for the surfing and these three girls!

He is fine with the arrangement until he receives a call from one of his friends who he was in the Army with. He and Mack go way back with each other and still keep in touch. They were in Afghanista
Jay Williams
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mike Bond is my favorite author and I jumped at the chance for an ARC through NetGalley. Mike is a lyric author and his books are nothing short of works of art. The descriptions are not as intense as some of his earlier works, but he still provides a beautiful narrative that evokes images of great detail. This is Pono's third outing as the main character, and in this story it is much more about him and his relationships with his brother soldiers. I could not put this book down once I started rea ...more
Carlos Mock
Jun 20, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Goodbye Paris by Mike Bond

This is a horrible book. I finished it, but it was torture. Raging Islamophobia that might be tolerable, since the plot is about a Muslim terrorist plot to destroy the Eiffel Tower, but because it constantly blames Islam and the Islamophile politicians for all of France's problems, it was dull and not effective.

The author uses the first person point of view, which makes caricatures of the characters. The plot is repetitive since at every nook and cranny racist islamoph
Doug Yonce
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve always enjoyed Mike Bond novels for their excellent attention to detail and well-designed plots. As a result, I jumped into this book not having read previous entries in the series. I was not disappointed. With non-stop action and strong character development, Bond’s take on terrorism is addictive and timely.
Patricia Moren
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another enthralling story by Mike Bond. This one is based in Paris and centres around the Islamist infiltration of the city. Some great characters and suspense and tension all the way through. Great read.
Domenico
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I can tell that Mike Bond is a poet. His word choice and the way he structures the narrative have that rhythm and flow, which makes the book all the more interesting to read, especially given its 1st-person viewpoint. That 1st person narrator is another strong point because it limits how much we can know about what's really going on and keeps us as off-balance as the main character, Pono. The action was also well done, written so as to be clearly understood what was happening.

My reservation, wha
Toni
Jun 16, 2019 rated it liked it
This is the third book in the Pono Haawkins series. I didn’t have a hard time initially getting into this book. I was surprised by the reference to the destruction of Notre Dame since that was a fairly recent occurrence.

This is pretty straight forward action adventure thriller but I wasn’t captured by the main character or cared to root for him. That made it a slog to get through this title. All the references to Islamic terrorists made my eyes roll up into my head. I do enjoy action adventure b
Scott Parsons
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Pono Hawkins who is surfing in Hawaii receives a call from a friend in Paris who asks for his help. Given their shared history in Iraq, Pono flies to Paris and finds himself in the middle of a frantic hunt for a terrorist named Mustafa. The latter is suspected of masterminding a plot to crash an airplane into the Eiffel Tower or detonate a nuclear bomb in Paris. Pono's friend and war buddy is captured by the terrorists and he and the French special forces set out in a race to save him and sabota ...more
Randal White
This was the first time that I have read one of the author's books. Bond writes in a fast moving, exciting, and thrill packed manner. This time, the main character, a former Special Forces soldier, is off to France to rescue one of his fellow soldiers, who has been kidnapped by a Islamic terrorist. Oh yeah, and to save Paris from a nuclear bomb that the terrorist also has.
Honestly, I found the story to be improbable. Too many coincidences and side plots. I found the book reminded me of the old
Andy
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, kindle, arc
This is the first book that I've read from Mike Bond. Although this is the third book in the Pono series, skipping the previous two books does not make the storyline confusing or make you feel like you were missing something.
The book was obviously just edited and updated recently due to several references and conspiracy theories to the Notre Dame cathedral catching fire in Paris.
The main plotline focuses on some Islamic terrorists and their attempts to detonate a nuclear bomb. The book is pretty
Abibliofob
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
This was probably the best one in the series about Pono Hawkins By Mike Bond. Good story and we get to know more about Ponos background. This was a great thriller set in Paris with lots of twists. I actually really enjoyed it. Many thanks to #BigCityPress and #Netgalley
Doreen Keele
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review via NetGalley. This was quite an intense thriller and it definitely kept me reading! It is full of twists and shocks. I highly recommend this novel.
Sandra Pipitone
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was so strange reading as the cathedral was destroyed: sometimes fiction is stranger than Truth! Again a book that makes you wonder WHAT is happening to the world as we know it? Scary, with the way things are.
Megan
Sep 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
I received this as a goodreads giveaway and can't really write an honest review because I didn't want to finish it. Even within the first few pages, the main character is flat, undeveloped, and wholly unrelatabe and unlikable to a female reader. The main character is a washed up military veteran with a criminal history, who settles on surfing and smoking weed in Hawaii, all the while living with three ex-girlfriends, who all came running back to him and droped their lives when he summoned them. ...more
Todd Simpson
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a fabulous story that had me hooked from the beginning. I like Mike Bonds writing style, and the amazing character he’s put together in Pono Hawkins. I’ll be going back to read the first two books in this series ‘Saving Paradise’ and ‘Killing Maine’ after enjoying this story so much. The standout for me is that there is always something happening, and he easily kept my attention for the full 343 pages. I found myself reading faster and faster, I loved it.
Pono Hawkins thought the ISIS bom
Amy
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Goodbye Paris is the third installment from Mike Bond's Pono Hawkins series. I have not read the first two books from the series and feel as though this one can be read as a stand alone. It is my first experience with Mr Bond's writing and it will not be the last.
Goodbye Paris is about Pono Hawkins, a Special Forces agent veteran. He finds out a once thought to be dead terrorist, Mustafa, is alive. Mustafa is planning to destroy Paris. Pono teams up with other agents to catch Mustafa and his fe
Diana Ellis
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This contemporary fictional story is interwoven with enough true facts and very recent history as to make it a frighteningly real scenario. The ex military American hero with his devil may care life attitude is snapped back into combat mode when sent to France to recognise a former enemy from his past and to rescue a comrade and his wife from the enemy's clutches. The love story evolves through the plot as he teams up with an agent whose husband was previously killed and her family. The tension ...more
Jean A.
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! I was unfamiliar with this author but guarantee that I will read anything else he happens to write. Thrillers are one of my favorite genres and this book delivered. It kept me guessing and on the edge of my seat. I hated to have to put it down. The characters are well developed and likeable—what else could you ask for. I recommend this book without reservation.
MICHAEL E SWAIN
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mike Bond manages to mix some realism, about the dangers of terrorism in France, with a fair amount of Idealization, of military buddies. You are entertained either by the studliness of Pono or the crafty evil of his opponent. Existential? Any thriller about nuclear annihilation would be. I am encouraged to read other Bond books.
Bookworm
Aug 03, 2019 rated it liked it
As the blurb reads, Pono Hawkins is a veteran from the Special Forces who races from a surfing competition in Tahiti to France to hunt down a terrorist he believes was dead. Hawkins is surfing and in need of rescue as the book opens which I thought was pretty cool actually.

Pono’s buddy Mack calls him to tell him that he needs to come to Paris to hunt down terrorist Mustafa al-Boudienne but by the time Pono gets to Paris, Mack is missing. There is blood left on his car and it looks like he was ab
Annette
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
My Thoughts:
During a book tour, the material is provided to write the review post. For example: summary or synopsis information. But, the section titled, “My Thoughts” is always my honest review.
Several years ago I read a spy/espionage book written by a retired CIA person. He explained, “most people don’t realize how much of the work is spent waiting and observing.” I thought about his comment while reading Goodbye Paris.
Goodbye Paris is an active book. Whether Pono is surfing, riding on a fast
Michael Rhames
So I recently discovered Mike Bond and his Pono Hawkins Series. From Saving Paradise, the first in the series, I instantly loved this protagonist with all the good and the bad. Needless to say, I went on to read (well, listen to, mostly) Killing Maine, the second installment, which I enjoyed as much.

Then I got into this one. I loved the story, BUT the narrator changed. Michael Naramore did a great job here. I would even say he seems more articulate to me than Luke Daniels (Pono Hawkins #1-2). I
Schuyler Wallace
Jun 12, 2019 rated it liked it

Mike Bond has written several best-selling adventure novels. I’ve read some of them and liked them. If you like one, you’ll probably like all of them because they’re largely the same. His plotlines are basically the same; intense love, the longing for goodwill, the bloodshed of battle, sinister bad guys, and dangers that threaten our environment He’s traveled a lot and manages to incorporate the places he’s visited in his stories. He’s also an environmentalist so damage to nature is upfront in t
Bruin Mccon
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Because jail is the absolute deprivation of freedom and Paris its greatest incarnation.

Goodbye Paris, published by Big City Press, is a fast-paced thriller set in present day Paris. It has a tiny bit of James Bond in it, without the glamour, and much more political opinion than you’d expect in a novel of this genre.

Kuleana is responsibility for the greater good in Hawaiian, Goodbye Paris tells us early in the story. Shortly thereafter, an anti-Muslim, anti-liberal rant by the main character left
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Add to Series - Pono Hawkins Series 2 12 Jun 06, 2019 03:23AM

• Boundless Ambition (Kyle Achilles, #5)
  • The Shuffle
  • The Termination Protocol (Scott Stiletto Book 1)
  • The Last Lieutenant (Todd Ingram Book 1)
  • The Jakarta Pandemic (The Perseid Collapse, #0.5)
  • Fallen Angels (Dead Cold Mystery #26)
  • Corps Justice Boxed Set (Corps Justice, #1-3)
  • Dance with the Enemy (The Enemy, #1)
  • Mustang Sally (Dead Cold Mystery #20)
  • The Glinkov Extraction (Scott Stiletto Book 3)
  • Blood Into Wine (Dead Cold Mystery #15)
  • The Fairmont Maneuver (Scott Steletto #2)
  • The Blood Stiller (Russian Trilogy, #1)
  • The Suicide Cartel (David Rivers #5)
  • Dead of Night (Harry Bauer Thriller #1)
  • Hunter Killer (Pike Logan #14)
  • Mercy Road
  • ALPHA (The Black Flagged #0.5-1)
MIKE BOND has been called the “master of the existential thriller” by the BBC and “one of the 21st century’s most exciting authors” by the Washington Times. He is a bestselling novelist, environmental activist, international energy expert, war and human rights correspondent and award-winning poet who has lived and worked in many remote and dangerous parts of the world. His critically acclaimed nov ...more

Pono Hawkins (3 books)
  • Saving Paradise
  • Killing Maine (Pono Hawkins, #2)