Start by marking “The Light in the Hallway” as Want to Read:

The Light in the Hallway

From the bestselling author of The Girl in the Corner comes the moving story of a man whose life is changed in an instant. How do you start again when you lose the only love you’ve ever known?

When Nick’s wife Kerry falls ill and dies, he realises for the first time how fragile his happiness has always been, and how much he’s been taking his good life and wonderful family for
Published November 11th 2019 by Lake Union Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Light in the Hallway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Light in the Hallway

Start your review of The Light in the Hallway
James
Amanda Prowse is my go-to author when it comes to contemporary fiction, family drama, and emotional analysis. She often reminds me that writers hold the key to understanding the deepest, darkest, and most innate feelings a person can hold. The Light in the Hallway, due out on 11/11/19, is a prime example of why Prowse will always be one of those special few who have a tidal wave impact on my mindset. No other author has truly pushed me to think about a situation, feverish to determine what, if a ...more
Carrie
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Having read a few of Amanda Prowse’s novels now the one thing I expect to find is a roller coaster of emotion behind every page and The Light in the Hallway was no exception. This contemporary novel is told not only in the present but with flashes back to the past to get a deeper understanding of the characters.

When The Light in the Hallway begins we learn that Nick and Kerry have been in love most of their lives and now Nick is having to say goodbye as Kerry has been ill. This leads
Amanda
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing

WOW another great book by Amanda Prowse, that delves into the characters emotions in a heart wrenching way that me laugh and cry. I couldn’t put this down and read it in one sitting!!

The story starts with Nick rushing to the hospital to say goodbye to his wife Kerry, she is dying of cancer. They were childhood sweethearts together at 16 and have an eighteen year old son Oliver.

Nick is trying to carry on with life and be supportive to Oliver who goes away to Birmingham University, b
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Amanda has yet again knocked it out of the park with her latest offering!

Right from the first few pages I was an emotional wreck with this story, I hadn’t expected to be hit so hard with the emotions that Nick was going through so early on. This story wasn’t all tears though, far from it. As Nick and his son Olly try to get on with their lives, the story takes a bitter sweet turn letting us see the highs and lows of life after the death of a loved one.

At the end of every
ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ
Amanda Prowse has been a kind of hit and miss author for me. While I adored Three-and-a-Half Heartbeats, A Christmas Wish was a disappointment. I am happy to say I really loved The Light in the Hallway. The chapters were a bit long as many of them had flashbacks, to Nick's childhood, in 1992. Although this book is about a man and his teen son losing their wife/mother to cancer, it was also a very funny book. Some of the shenanigans Nick and his two buddies get up to, in 1992, made me laugh out l ...more
JP
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
About the book • 346 pages • Release Date 11/11/19 • Fiction • Stand-alone • Touching • Heartfelt • Great Story • Definitely recommend • Love this authors books ♥

This was an ARC from Netgalley and I gave an honest review and all opinions are mine.
Karen Whittard
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Make sure that you have tissues when you are reading this book. It is a really beautiful and moving story. That will make you smile and make you cry. But it’s really lovely.
Lori
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Light in the Hallway, written by Amanda Prowse, ripped my heart apart and then put it back together piece by piece. Ms. Prowse is fast becoming one of my favorite authors when I need a warm, heartfelt story that I can wrap myself around and become immersed. She takes ordinary people and puts them in impossible emotional situations that will challenge them to their very soul. Her characters are well written and thoroughly developed, but most importantly, they are everyday people that are very ...more
Karen
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By Amanda Prowse

The thing that I loved best about this novel was that all of the characters were very nice people. Nobody was mean and the setting took place in a QUAINT little town where everybody knew everyone's business and there was no crime. As the story opens Nick is saying goodbye to his wife Kerry who is on death's doorway dying of cancer. It is in the very beginning so there isn't any chance for the reader to get to know Kerry except for a few l
Book Pairings (Laci Long)
Do you only get one chance at love? Can you find love again after losing your childhood sweetheart to cancer? These are the questions explored in The Light in the Hallway. This book was so heartwarming and I read it all in one day. One minute it had me crying and the next it had me laughing.

As I said, this was a very heartwarming novel and it was exactly what I needed this week. The story opens with Nick rushing to the hospital to say goodbye to his wife and childhood sweetheart, Kerry, who is
Lisa
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
This was my first Amanda Prowse book, but it certainly won't be my last!

This novel explores love, loss, and life after in a very realistic way. It pushes the boundaries of Father and Son bonds to the limit as they navigate grief in their own ways through grief. It was really refreshing to have this story written through male perspectives.

Prowse captures human emotions brilliantly within these pages and has such a way with words you'll feel like you are right there as thei
Edi McNinch
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First time reading this author and found it quite enjoyable. It takes a bit to get into the story but it doesn't disappoint. All about friendships, life, death,family,childhood memories and succeeding in life. Yes, it is somewhat predictable but it's the story and how they get to a place of bonding and beginning to live again after a death. A few laugh out loud moments and some that might bring a tear and one character you'd really like to slap! So yes, some believable moments. It is a book to b ...more
Nicola Short
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story revolves around quite a few characters but the two main characters are Nick and his son, Oliver/Ollie. The story is told from Nicks perspective.
Nick’s wife has recently passed away. She had been ill for over a year and Nick was with her every day. Oliver and Nick are devastated with her loss in their life. What follows is how they cope with the loss of a wife/mother but also with Ollie leaving to go to University.
The storyline is told in the present time and flashbacks to when N
Beth
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my.....what a wonderful read. I loved the flash backs to the ‘best summer ever’ which explains how the boys are such good friends today. This story has so much real life emotional situations and I felt like I wmas right in the middle of it. The characters were written so realistically that I grew to feel like I know them personally. My only complaint is the story ended much to soon. I appreciate when an author does the final chapter in the future to give closure.
Sammy Jackson
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love love loved it
Susan
Aug 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
I requested this book based on the very positive reviews on the NetGalley website, but I must confess I don’t get all the rave reviews. I plodded through of it until I threw my hands up from an excess of boredom and a complete overload of trite and stale writing and situations.

I’m glad so many people like it. Obviously, I didn’t. This is the second book by Amanda Prowse that I’ve read this year. The first one was equally dull.

I received this book as an ARC from the publisher and Ne
Jacqueline
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You know you’ve read (or are reading) a good book when you think about the characters while going about daily life, even after the book is finished, almost as if they were real, people you knew, could relate to, miss even…. And that’s exactly how you feel reading an Amanda Prowse novel. This one possibly more than others, as it was so real, so raw, so honest...
Nick has just lost his beloved wife, his first love, and Mother of his only son to cancer. He is desperately trying to deal with the gri
Ritu Bhathal
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yet another best-seller, methinks!

Amanda Prowse has fast become one of my favourite authors, with her way of weaving a story, so relatable and believable that you could be living it yourself, or you may even imagine knowing someone in the same situation.

The Light In The Hallway is no different.

We are taken on a journey with Nick, a grieving widower and father, who is still young enough to be in his prime, yet old enough to 'really know better'. At home, alone, having dro
Susanne Baker
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A lovely book about friendship, love and loss, subjects that Amanda writes so well about. I have recently lost my own mum, so I was a little concerned that it maybe would be too emotional for me to enjoy properly, however as always Amanda dealt with the subject of loss and grieving so sympathetically and honestly that I was able to take some comfort from reading it.
Absolutely loved having the story of Nick’s childhood run along side his new life without Kerry as it gave you an insight to his fr
Linda Leone
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book gave me some much needed laughter. A touching story of friendship, love, loss and family.
Thank you to the author Amanda Prowse, netgalley and Amazon Publishing UK for the arc book.
Sherri Thacker
I was given this book from NetGalley and the publisher for an honest review. I really enjoyed this book, from the very first page. It was hard to put down and just a lovely story. Thank you NetGalley!
Tina Stapylton
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful heartfelt story of how a husband comes to terms with the loss of his wife, dealing with his son going off to University and living on his own for the very first time.

Nick is a gem of a character and my heart went out to him. Olly, his son, is a true teenager and Amanda was spot on in her telling of his angst and grief at losing his mum, mixed in with the excitement of spreading his wings but at the same time worrying about leaving his dad on his own.

Running along
Luanna
Aug 25, 2019 rated it liked it
A beautiful and moving story that showcases the human ability to move on and love again.
The characters were well written and perfectly flawed.
I however couldn't connect with the story and felt it braged a bit too much.

I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review and all opinions are my own.

Luanna
Karen McGarry
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well, I've only got one thing to say at the moment and that's "SHIT STICKS"!!!!!! I will have a think for a proper review Mandy, but golly, that story was fabulous! The right amount of everything in there; grief, sadness, bewilderment, anger, wonder, enlightenment, empowerment, love, life! Actually, I might just stick with this as a review!
Karen Farrow
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a big fan of Amanda Prowse so was really excited to read this book.

It totally took me by surprise as her other books are all written from the female perspective and this is from the male. It took me a little while to settle into this new direction but I throroughly enjoyed it.

The book starts with the ultimate emotional kick in the stomach of Nick’s wife dying. The story the. continues with Nick learning to live his life without her and also helping his son with the loss of his
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4⭐⭐⭐⭐
This story is about childhood friendships, death, grief and starting over. I loved it!
Nick and Ollie were slowly moving on and it wasn’t easy for either one of them and at 50% I wanted to throw my kindle across the room. People can be awful and why do they think they can decide when someone can move on? Grrrrrr......
Anyway I thought this was good and there was a lot going on in this story. I’d definitely recommend it to my friends.
This was a NETGALLEY gift and all opinions are my ow
Joanne
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whenever I pick up an Amanda Prowse book, I know that I am going to find myself engrossed in the story and so it was with The Light in the Hallway. I always find that there is something about her characters which I find so relatable. She writes about her characters with great insight into their emotions so that it's hard not to be touched by their situations. Her characters are ordinary people, like people you may know and that's what makes her books so addictive. The situations they find themse ...more
Jo Barton
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Nick loses his wife to cancer both he, and his teenage son, Oliver, have to find the strength to carry on but in the small town of Burstonbridge in North Yorkshire, a place where everyone knows everyone else, moving on is sometimes a bit of a trial. Nick and Oliver do their grieving in the full glare of local sympathy but not everyone is as sympathetic as others and both of them struggle with their sadness at the loss of a wife and mother.

What then follows is such a lovely story
Clare
With thanks to Netgalley and Amazon for this ARC in exchange for an open and honest review.

Amanda Prowse is one of my favourite go to authors. When I heard she was releasing The Light in the Hallway I couldn't wait to read it.

Nick and Kerry were teenage sweethearts when they married eighteen years earlier. They had a solid marriage although it was severely tested when Nick found out that Kerry had wracked up a debt of £7,000 on credit cards. Shortly after that diagnosed w
Jeanne
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nick finds himself a widower at 35 with an 18-year-old son after losing his wife, Kerry, to cancer. She was his high school sweetheart and was his one true love. After her death he is trying to do what is best for his son, Oliver, and for his and Kerry's family and try to navigate the rules of mourning like when is it okay to go out in public, how many times are you supposed to visit the grave and what flowers should you bring. In their small town of Burstonville any mistakes are duly noted and ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Amanda Prowse was a management consultant for ten years before realising that she was born to write. Amanda lives in the West Country with her husband and their two teenage sons.

• Big Lies in a Small Town
  • The Other Daughter
  • The Lies We Hide
  • I Will Make You Pay
  • True to Me
  • All The Rage (DI Adam Fawley, #4)
  • I Wanted You To Know: A powerful and life-affirming novel that will stay with you forever
  • The Other Wife