Start by marking “Run, Rebel” as Want to Read:
Run, Rebel

Run, Rebel

When Amber runs, it's the only time she feels completely free - far away from her claustrophobic home life. Her father wants her to be a dutiful daughter, waiting for an arranged marriage like her sister Ruby.

Running is a quiet rebellion. But Amber wants so much more - and she's ready to fight for it.

It's time for a revolution.
Published March 5th 2020 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about Run, Rebel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Run, Rebel

Start your review of Run, Rebel
C.G. Drews
May 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Oh this one is both beautifully told, but absolutely gut-wrenching. It's written in verse, and I loved how in the author's q&a, she says: "It was easier to deal with big emotional subjects by getting straight to the heart of the issue and saying more with very little." And that shines through so so much. The fear, the heartache, the trauma, is all so palpable in just a few lines. This is the kind of story that tugs you out of your world and into the life of Amber Rai: track runner, rebel, domest ...more
Claude's Bookzone
CW: (view spoiler)

“One day I will change the world. Not only for my younger sister and my daughter, but for all women. I will lay the foundations and change the world.”

Well that was a painful and emotional but ultimately empowering verse novel.

I think the author did a remarkable job of drawing Readers into the story. When the main characters hurt so did I, when they were made to feel
Lou
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Run, Rebel is a compelling debut novel written in verse and I found myself flying through it. It explores many prevalent real-world issues such as feminism, identity, poverty, class, friendship, family and the many forms of abuse and it really hit home for me having grown up with a narcissistic and misogynistic abuser. The story follows teenager Amber who grew up with an alcoholic and abusive father who targeted both her and her mother. Her father wants her to conform to his ideals like her sist ...more
Nikita Gill
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book deserves all the love in the world. I sobbed, it made me feel so seen. Thank you to Manjeet Mann for this gorgeous piece of work!
Katie.dorny
Aug 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
A powerful book about the nature of rebellion and the power of reclaiming yourself.

This book follows Amber Rai, a student at secondary school with a promising athletics career. However, her home life with her controlling dad leaves her uncertain of her future.

This book highlights and discusses many topics including:

Immigration
Woman’s identity and purpose, especially in a Pakistani community
Bullying

This was a great young adult book about and written by a British woc and listening to her narrate
Mara
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is not an easy read but Amber Rai and her family‘s rebellion against an abusive husband and father and patriarchal systems meant to silence their female voices is a prose journey worth reading. Trigger warnings for mental and physical abuse, honor killings and bullying.
Anniek
I requested this because I saw it was a diverse verse novel. I'm a huge fan of verse novels, so that was all I needed to know.

I knew from the prologue on that this would be a truly beautifully written, feminist novel. And it honestly only got better.

This book is about Amber Rai, who wants to be an athlete. She lives with her illiterate parents who hardly speak English, and so they need her to translate for them and to help them navigate in a society they don't understand. Her father is an alcoho
ftnrsnn
Apr 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 8/5

In some cultures, it’s a curse when you’re born as a girl instead of a boy. No one ever wanted a girl. Girls were deemed as a burden and their whole life will forever be the property of their parents, husband and brothers. They have to give up their decision-making power, be small, be silent, endure and never question!

But when the Rebels start to stand up for their rights, revolution will follow and eventually the throne that so long been dictated by weak men will be overthrown by t
Megan
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Penguin Random House UK for gifting me an ARC

Run, Rebel was incredible, beautiful, real and heartbreaking. It's the first 5 star I have given a book since 2017 and yes your reading that right. I'm so picky with my ratings but this made me feel so many emotions and I even tabbed up the book and I never do that. I haven't had a book impact me like this in a very long time and it was my first ever book in verse too and I now need many more!
Lay
Jan 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
trigger warning for domestic abuse

I listened to the audiobook version of this book which is performed by the author and I am so glad I chose this version. Run, Rebel is a novel in verse and hearing it spoken, sometimes whispered, made the words truly come alive.

It's a gut-wrenching and heartbreaking story of abuse and rebellion, running and hope. Amber, the main character, felt so real. I wanted nothing more than reach into the book and give her a hug. Her fear and anger are palpable in every w
Vee
Jan 28, 2020 marked it as owned-books
I have an early review copy that was sent to my old house! I'm mostly just excited to be sent a review copy that is actually my genre. ...more
charlotte, (½ of readsrainbow)
Rep: British Indian mc, Indian side characters

CWs: domestic abuse, child abuse, bullying, mentions of honour killings
Hannah Middleton
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Totally immersive & fast-paced verse novel with a likeable but flawed heroine who is caught between her own dreams & the expectations of her family. Powerful, shocking but ultimately hopeful, this an arresting & impressive debut. I loved it!
Tamara
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A breathtaking verse novel, about patriarchy, privilege, and generational trauma. Framed around the notion of An Anatomy of a Revolution, it’s a powerful insight into how the strength of women can overcome oppression, but it doesn’t present simple answers. The struggle is read, and complex, and there aren’t easy answers.
I have so many books on my TBR list that I don’t often plan to revisit books, but I’ll reread this again. You should read it too.
Katie Rose
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you netgalley for this arc.

This is a novel in verse.

Powerful,devastating, outstanding.

Trigger warnings for domestic violence.
Bec Frances
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2020, poetry
Brilliantly written. I've never quite had a protagonist leap out of a book quite like Amber did. ...more
Anika
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you Netgalley for this ARC!

Wow. I sped through this because it was so intense and easy to read. I know - intense and easy shouldn't go together but it just does.

This book really tugs at your heartstrings. I love that the story is told in verse because I don't believe it would have been as good had it been written traditionally. The sparsity of the words really hones in on all the emotions where traditional narratives would have overshadowed it.

The concept of the novel isn't anything new
Hâf
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful feminist verse novel full of emotion, heartbreak and hope. An inspiring read about resilience and rebellion.
Lydia Hephzibah
May 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up. A relatively quick read and an important own voices story, but it did leave me a little flat.
Anna Wigley
Feb 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
A powerful book that explores many real life issues including feminism, bullying and domestic abuse. This book is written in verse and is told by a girl called Amber who is growing up with a father in control of her life. Amber is a determined and brave character who wants to fight for her own freedom and to help her Mother as well but the question is can she stand up to her threatening, scary father? This a great, quick book and worth a read. I like how it is written in verse and also all of th ...more
Violet Spencer
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was breath taking from start to finish. I couldn't put it down.I cried, I laughed, I got angry. It was like a roller coaster of emotions.

It's a book about privilege, patriarchy, female empowerment and trauma. It's not an easy read and the main character "Amber' isn't always likeable, but that is what makes it so real. I don't often re-read books but I dog-eared so many pages, I'll definitely be dipping in again.

It really is a must read.
Hadia
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you loved The Poet X, then you'll love this, too! Although, I did like that book, I loved this one more, maybe because it was easier to picture in my head?

This is a novel written in verse about a Punjabi family living in the UK. It follows our main character Amber Rai, who is trying to make sense of everything around her after her sister, Ruby, is forcefully married off.

She has a passion for running, but her dad, being illiterate and an alcoholic, doesn't understand. According to him, women
Becca ♥︎  PrettyLittleMemoirs.com
First reviewed as Day One of the official tour onPretty Little Memoirs.

Amber wants to rebel. From her controlling home life, from the ideals that she’s supposed to conform to and everything in between. Not only does she have a passion for running, but dreams of being a professional athlete, a dream that is continuously rained upon by her particularly abusive father. Amber has spent her life translating for her Parents that don’t speak English, and because her sister has formed to the ideals of h
Sophie Jackson
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a Powerful and moving verse novel. I felt like I was there with the characters the whole way. These two women are fiercely strong despite the fear that life has given them. So beautifully written, filled with so much raw emotion that gave me goosebumps, made me smile at times and feel proud of Amber and her wonderful mother
Liam
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Run Rebel is such a powerful book!

A verse novel about isolation, anxiety and domestic abuse, but ultimately about what we can achieve with hope and support and domestic rebellion. Hard hitting, emotional and beautiful.

It took me a little while to get into the style of the book, having never read a verse novel before, but it's such an interesting way to tell the story and it works so well.
Ranjani
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A powerful, powerful book about rising up and claiming what's yours. Mann does not make it sound easy, but something which is necessary. For so many abuse victims, life is not living, it is surviving. RUN, REBEL is about finally seeing reason to leave, finding a way out, and digging deep for the courage to start living.

Obvious TRIGGER WARNINGS for mention of trauma, abuse, domestic violence.
Siobhan
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Run, Rebel is young adult novel in verse about a girl looking for a way to start a revolution in her life. Amber lives on a council estate with her parents, her abusive, alcoholic father and her mother who works long shifts at an exploitative job. She used to have her sister, but she's married now, her dreams of university long gone, and Amber is left to read out receipts to her illiterate mum and go to appointments to translate for her father. She can't tell her friends exactly what goes on at ...more
Tabrizia
Such an empowering and powerful good read! It really shows how poetry can have a powerful effect on a person. It was beautiful, heartbreaking and real...just so many powerful feelings in one. Amber's fight to break away from her father's tyranny is parallel to today's women go through in a patriarchal society. But even though this book is an excellent comparison to what is really happening in today's world, this amazing book also reflects the generational trauma that could be inflicted on a pers ...more
Chadreadsbooks
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
TW: emotional and physical abuse, Bullying, Alcoholism

A very emotionally hard hitting story written in verse!!! This has some very tough and serious topics written about in this book such as abuse (physical and emotional).

This story was such a heartbreaking but incredibly beautiful story!! This book made me feel so many different emotions throughout from so Angry to happy and full of hope for this family. It was such a powerful read as Amber tries to navigate her life and try to make herself and
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• On Midnight Beach
  • The Girl Who Became a Tree: A Story Told in Poems
  • Eight Pieces of Silva
  • Blood Moon
  • And The Stars Were Burning Brightly (And The Stars Were Burning Brightly, #1)
  • Somebody Give This Heart a Pen
  • Me, My Dad and the End of the Rainbow
  • The Girl Who Speaks Bear
  • Gloves Off
  • Last Lesson
Manjeet is an actress, playwright, screenwriter and director. She is the founder of Run The World - an organization that works with women and girls from marginalized backgrounds and helps to empower them through sport and storytelling. She lives in Kent.

News & Interviews