Start by marking “Run, Rebel” as Want to Read:
Run, Rebel

Run, Rebel

When Amber runs, it's the only time she feels completely free - far away from her claustrophobic home life. Her father wants her to be a dutiful daughter, waiting for an arranged marriage like her sister Ruby.

Running is a quiet rebellion. But Amber wants so much more - and she's ready to fight for it.

It's time for a revolution.
Paperback
Expected publication: March 5th 2020 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about Run, Rebel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Run, Rebel

Start your review of Run, Rebel
Vee_Bookish
Jan 28, 2020 marked it as owned-books
I have an early review copy that was sent to my old house! I'm mostly just excited to be sent a review copy that is actually my genre.
Anika
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you Netgalley for this ARC!

Wow. I sped through this because it was so intense and easy to read. I know - intense and easy shouldn't go together but it just does.

This book really tugs at your heartstrings. I love that the story is told in verse because I don't believe it would have been as good had it been written traditionally. The sparsity of the words really hones in on all the emotions where traditional narratives would have overshadowed it.

The concept of the novel isn't anything new
Siobhan
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Run, Rebel is young adult novel in verse about a girl looking for a way to start a revolution in her life. Amber lives on a council estate with her parents, her abusive, alcoholic father and her mother who works long shifts at an exploitative job. She used to have her sister, but she's married now, her dreams of university long gone, and Amber is left to read out receipts to her illiterate mum and go to appointments to translate for her father. She can't tell her friends exactly what goes on at ...more
Chadreadsbooks
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
TW: emotional and physical abuse, Bullying, Alcoholism

A very emotionally hard hitting story written in verse!!! This has some very tough and serious topics written about in this book such as abuse (physical and emotional).

This story was such a heartbreaking but incredibly beautiful story!! This book made me feel so many different emotions throughout from so Angry to happy and full of hope for this family. It was such a powerful read as Amber tries to navigate her life and try to make herself and
Megan
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Run, Rebel was incredible, beautiful, real and heartbreaking. It's the first 5 star I have given a book since 2017 and yes your reading that right. I'm so picky with my ratings but this made me feel so many emotions and I even tabbed up the book and I never do that. I haven't had a book impact me like this in a very long time and it was my first ever book in verse too and I now need many more!

Thank you to Penguin Random House UK for gifting me an ARC
Charlotte
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed RUN, REBEL. An absolutely fantastic debut, it's written entirely in captivating verse and does an excellent job of portraying an authentic teenage voice whilst telling a very raw and heartbreaking story.

Book 11/40 for the Popsugar Reading Challenge 2020: a book that's published in 2020
SJH (A Dream of Books)
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review
Review to follow...
Rachael
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a journey. This book is dark, the emotions are dark, the house is dark, the atmosphere is dark. But there is love, hope and friendship in between. The main character, Amber goes to some very dark places herself as her fear leads to hate and anger.

Amber has two lives, her friends, school, running, going to MaccyD's on oneside, and her abusive family life. She lives in fear of her father and his over-reactions to things he doesn't understand (illiterate or cross-culture) or blurred by his
Tamara
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A breathtaking verse novel, about patriarchy, privilege, and generational trauma. Framed around the notion of An Anatomy of a Revolution, it’s a powerful insight into how the strength of women can overcome oppression, but it doesn’t present simple answers. The struggle is read, and complex, and there aren’t easy answers.
I have so many books on my TBR list that I don’t often plan to revisit books, but I’ll reread this again. You should read it too.
Violet Spencer
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was breath taking from start to finish. I couldn't put it down.I cried, I laughed, I got angry. It was like a roller coaster of emotions.

It's a book about privilege, patriarchy, female empowerment and trauma. It's not an easy read and the main character "Amber' isn't always likeable, but that is what makes it so real. I don't often re-read books but I dog-eared so many pages, I'll definitely be dipping in again.

It really is a must read.
Steph
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book made me so bloody angry. Dad is a terrible man and the women are so horribly treated. However there’s such light, hope and love in this book. The scenes between Amber and her mam made me tear up.
S
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really powerful and moving novel written in verse. Follows Amber's trying to escape her life through running, and trying to escape her abusive father. Themes of physical and emotional abuse and bullying. Recommend 13+
Katie
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you netgalley for this arc.

This is a novel in verse.

Powerful,devastating, outstanding.

Trigger warnings for domestic violence.
Bec Frances
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, favorites
Brilliantly written. I've never quite had a protagonist leap out of a book quite like Amber did.
Alice S-H
Alyssa
Dec 09, 2019
Eva B.
Dec 09, 2019

• Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • The Gravity of Us
  • Camp
  • Foul Is Fair (Foul Is Fair #1)
  • Love Is for Losers
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • The Highland Falcon Thief
  • 19 Love Songs
  • The Love Hypothesis
  • The Boy Who Fooled the World
  • Yes No Maybe So
  • One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
  • Diary of a Confused Feminist
  • The Love & Lies of Rukhsana Ali
1 follower
Manjeet is an actress, playwright, screenwriter and director. She is the founder of Run The World - an organization that works with women and girls from marginalized backgrounds and helps to empower them through sport and storytelling. She lives in Kent.