Start by marking “Run, Rebel” as Want to Read:
Run, Rebel

Run, Rebel

When Amber runs, it's the only time she feels completely free - far away from her claustrophobic home life. Her father wants her to be a dutiful daughter, waiting for an arranged marriage like her sister Ruby.

Running is a quiet rebellion. But Amber wants so much more - and she's ready to fight for it.

It's time for a revolution.
Published March 5th 2020 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about Run, Rebel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Run, Rebel

Start your review of Run, Rebel
Lou
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Run, Rebel is a compelling debut novel written in verse and I found myself flying through it. It explores many prevalent real-world issues such as feminism, identity, poverty, class, friendship, family and the many forms of abuse and it really hit home for me having grown up with a narcissistic and misogynistic abuser. The story follows teenager Amber who grew up with an alcoholic and abusive father who targeted both her and her mother. Her father wants her to conform to his ideals like her ...more
Anniek
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I requested this because I saw it was a diverse verse novel. I'm a huge fan of verse novels, so that was all I needed to know.

I knew from the prologue on that this would be a truly beautifully written, feminist novel. And it honestly only got better.

This book is about Amber Rai, who wants to be an athlete. She lives with her illiterate parents who hardly speak English, and so they need her to translate for them and to help them navigate in a society they don't understand. Her father is an
Megan
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Penguin Random House UK for gifting me an ARC

Run, Rebel was incredible, beautiful, real and heartbreaking. It's the first 5 star I have given a book since 2017 and yes your reading that right. I'm so picky with my ratings but this made me feel so many emotions and I even tabbed up the book and I never do that. I haven't had a book impact me like this in a very long time and it was my first ever book in verse too and I now need many more!
Vee_Bookish
Jan 28, 2020 marked it as owned-books
I have an early review copy that was sent to my old house! I'm mostly just excited to be sent a review copy that is actually my genre.
Hannah Middleton
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Totally immersive & fast-paced verse novel with a likeable but flawed heroine who is caught between her own dreams & the expectations of her family. Powerful, shocking but ultimately hopeful, this an arresting & impressive debut. I loved it!
Tamara
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A breathtaking verse novel, about patriarchy, privilege, and generational trauma. Framed around the notion of An Anatomy of a Revolution, its a powerful insight into how the strength of women can overcome oppression, but it doesnt present simple answers. The struggle is read, and complex, and there arent easy answers.
I have so many books on my TBR list that I dont often plan to revisit books, but Ill reread this again. You should read it too.
Katie
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you netgalley for this arc.

This is a novel in verse.

Powerful,devastating, outstanding.

Trigger warnings for domestic violence.
Bec Frances
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2020
Brilliantly written. I've never quite had a protagonist leap out of a book quite like Amber did.
Anika
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you Netgalley for this ARC!

Wow. I sped through this because it was so intense and easy to read. I know - intense and easy shouldn't go together but it just does.

This book really tugs at your heartstrings. I love that the story is told in verse because I don't believe it would have been as good had it been written traditionally. The sparsity of the words really hones in on all the emotions where traditional narratives would have overshadowed it.

The concept of the novel isn't anything new
Violet Spencer
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was breath taking from start to finish. I couldn't put it down.I cried, I laughed, I got angry. It was like a roller coaster of emotions.

It's a book about privilege, patriarchy, female empowerment and trauma. It's not an easy read and the main character "Amber' isn't always likeable, but that is what makes it so real. I don't often re-read books but I dog-eared so many pages, I'll definitely be dipping in again.

It really is a must read.
Becca  ☾☁︎⋆ (PrettyLittleMemoirs.com)
First reviewed as Day One of the official tour onPretty Little Memoirs.

Amber wants to rebel. From her controlling home life, from the ideals that shes supposed to conform to and everything in between. Not only does she have a passion for running, but dreams of being a professional athlete, a dream that is continuously rained upon by her particularly abusive father. Amber has spent her life translating for her Parents that dont speak English, and because her sister has formed to the ideals of her
The Bookish Faerie
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Y'all better run to bookstores for this book. Manjeet Mann gave a fresh new voice to a #OwnVoices tale of a rebel breaking away from her society's old fashion restrictions.

Amber is a runner, she runs to feel air through her lungs and for her legs to pump blood through her body to feel alive. In a house that is no more than a jail cell with her Punjabi father as the warder.

Definition of a girl, by Amber's father:
-Comes straight home after school
(or no school, even better!)
-Never go out with
Siobhan
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Run, Rebel is young adult novel in verse about a girl looking for a way to start a revolution in her life. Amber lives on a council estate with her parents, her abusive, alcoholic father and her mother who works long shifts at an exploitative job. She used to have her sister, but she's married now, her dreams of university long gone, and Amber is left to read out receipts to her illiterate mum and go to appointments to translate for her father. She can't tell her friends exactly what goes on at ...more
Chadreadsbooks
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
TW: emotional and physical abuse, Bullying, Alcoholism

A very emotionally hard hitting story written in verse!!! This has some very tough and serious topics written about in this book such as abuse (physical and emotional).

This story was such a heartbreaking but incredibly beautiful story!! This book made me feel so many different emotions throughout from so Angry to happy and full of hope for this family. It was such a powerful read as Amber tries to navigate her life and try to make herself and
Charlotte
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed RUN, REBEL. An absolutely fantastic debut, it's written entirely in captivating verse and does an excellent job of portraying an authentic teenage voice whilst telling a very raw and heartbreaking story.

Book 11/40 for the Popsugar Reading Challenge 2020: a book that's published in 2020
Hâf
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful feminist verse novel full of emotion, heartbreak and hope. An inspiring read about resilience and rebellion.
Sophie Jackson
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a Powerful and moving verse novel. I felt like I was there with the characters the whole way. These two women are fiercely strong despite the fear that life has given them. So beautifully written, filled with so much raw emotion that gave me goosebumps, made me smile at times and feel proud of Amber and her wonderful mother
SJH (A Dream of Books)
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review
Review to follow...
Amy Rush Da Silva
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have only recently started reading novels written in verse, but from those I have read I have loved. So, I knew from the get go that I needed to read Run, Rebel and immerse myself in beautiful verse once more. From the moment I opened the book and started reading I already knew this was going to mesmerise and captivate me.

Run, Rebel follows teenager Amber, who lives with her parents who speak little English and are illiterate. Her father, an alcoholic, is abusive to her mother both physically
Monica Shastri
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Trigger Warning : Bullying, Abusive Father & Patriarchy.
You should pick this book if you loved The Poet X!
Run Rebel is a story written in verse for the women that chose to live their lives on their own terms, in a patriarchal society that call them rebels. There are so many underlying themes this book covers but the one that touched me the most was the emphasis on having a healthy household, education, freedom to choose and so called "societal judgement". Amber is not perfect she is a bully
ashortbooklover
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
From the first page, Manns writing had utterly hooked me into Ambers story. The verse almost pulses with such emotion and seethes with scarcely contained anger from the first line. The way she explores family, friendships, class and identity was brilliant, particularly the discussion around abuse and the feeling of constantly walking on eggshells. Theres an underlying uneasiness to Ambers voice that resonated with me, giving me an atmosphere of paranoia whilst I was reading.

The formatting and
Rachael
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a journey. This book is dark, the emotions are dark, the house is dark, the atmosphere is dark. But there is love, hope and friendship in between. The main character, Amber goes to some very dark places herself as her fear leads to hate and anger.

Amber has two lives, her friends, school, running, going to MaccyD's on oneside, and her abusive family life. She lives in fear of her father and his over-reactions to things he doesn't understand (illiterate or cross-culture) or blurred by his
Farah
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer - I received a free digital download of this book by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Page turning becomes a necessity as you start to unravel the dark secrets in the Rui family and discover what the future holds for Amber. I find myself haunted by the sufferings of Amber and her female relatives and the thought that so many women are still suffering in tyrannical households. This book was both heart warming and heart breaking at the same time, a definite recommendation
HappyGoldenKim
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amber lives in fear: fear of her abusive, alcoholic father; fear of "The Man" across the street; fear of losing her friends; fear of telling her truth.

Amber dreams: dreams of a life without fear; dreams of a life she can choose; dreams of a way out for her mum; dreams of the freedom to tell her truth.

In school, she learns about revolution. The forcible overthrow of a government or social order in favour of a new regime. Amber recognises the seeds of rebellion stirring in her heart. Can she
Kt
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, 2020, best-of-2020, arc
Straight off the bat this story will most likely become a favourite in 2020!

An amazing feminist story written in verse following Amber Rai through her struggles, fears and rebellion. This book delves into such hard and scary topics amazingly. This story was so brilliant and flowed so beautifully. The emotions was portrayed so strongly throughout this book, I felt like I was there with Amber, which was scary but also empowering.
I can't wait to see more of this type of empowrig literature emerge
Amy TheOriginalBookishDragon
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic novel following characters that felt so real to me. The novel is written in with an extraordinary use of verse that adds so much to the story and makes it impossible to put down. This book tackled difficult subject matter in such an heartbreaking yet hopeful way. I would highly recommend this book for fans of The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo. This is undeniably the best book I have read in a long time.

Thank you to NetGalley and to Penguin Random House Children's UK for providing an
Sam Schroder
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A kind friend sent me this captivating verse novel. Amber lives a life of fear and secrets. A double life. She runs to escape. She runs to save herself. With her best friends Tara and David by her side, and her mother and sister in her heart, Amber faces challenges of culture, anger and pain. Reading this book was a revelation for me. There are so many stand-alone poems of value in this book and it is a powerful story in its whole. Highly recommended.
Liam
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Run Rebel is such a powerful book!

A verse novel about isolation, anxiety and domestic abuse, but ultimately about what we can achieve with hope and support and domestic rebellion. Hard hitting, emotional and beautiful.

It took me a little while to get into the style of the book, having never read a verse novel before, but it's such an interesting way to tell the story and it works so well.
Ranjani
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A powerful, powerful book about rising up and claiming what's yours. Mann does not make it sound easy, but something which is necessary. For so many abuse victims, life is not living, it is surviving. RUN, REBEL is about finally seeing reason to leave, finding a way out, and digging deep for the courage to start living.

Obvious TRIGGER WARNINGS for mention of trauma, abuse, domestic violence.

• And The Stars Were Burning Brightly (And The Stars Were Burning Brightly, #1)
  • Only Mostly Devastated
  • Foul Is Fair (Foul Is Fair #1)
  • Pretty Funny
  • The Black Flamingo
  • Date Me, Bryson Keller
  • Camp
  • The Highland Falcon Thief
  • Are You Watching?
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • The Gravity of Us
  • Diary of a Confused Feminist
  • Harrow Lake
  • The Love Hypothesis
  • Hold Back the Tide
  • Yes No Maybe So
  • Dangerous Remedy (Dangerous Remedy, #1)
  • The Perfect Nanny
Manjeet is an actress, playwright, screenwriter and director. She is the founder of Run The World - an organization that works with women and girls from marginalized backgrounds and helps to empower them through sport and storytelling. She lives in Kent.