Start by marking “Something to Talk About” as Want to Read:
Something to Talk About

Something to Talk About

A showrunner and her assistant give the world something to talk about when they accidentally fuel a ridiculous rumor in this debut romance.

Hollywood powerhouse Jo is photographed making her assistant Emma laugh on the red carpet, and just like that, the tabloids declare them a couple. The so-called scandal couldn't come at a worse time—threatening Emma's promotion and Jo's
ebook

Availability: 75 copies available, 2535 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jan 06 - Jan 26, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Something to Talk About, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something to Talk About

megs_bookrack
    May 23, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: 2020-releases

I HAVE BEEN BLESSED!!!

Thank you so much, Berkley Books, for my ARC. You are always so good to me. I have been excited about this one for a while!!!

Original:

Berkley's FIRST QUEER FEMALE ROMANCE !!!

Too far?

Yeah, I probably went too far on that, but I am beyond for this one.

I've been loving Berkley Romance lately.
    They're crushing it.
    Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell
    I mean, it's about time Berkley got gay.

Edit: there's a cover now.. and it's one of those over stylized cartoons lol
    Tucker
    Sep 18, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
    COVER COVER COVER

---------------

omg, Berkley's first lesbian romance!!!!

This is really Something to Talk About...

sorry i had to
    Sana
    May 20, 2019 marked it as to-read-so-bad-it-hurts
    BERKLEY IS FINALLY PUBLISHING ITS FIRST (SLOW BURN) QUEER ROMANCE AND A WLW AT THAT BY A QUEER AUTHOR EEEEEEEEEEEE
    Jessica B.
    Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    SWOONIEST SLOW-BURN EVER. Jo and Emma are the cutest and I most definitely yelled "Just kiss already!" several times whilst reading. SO SO GOOD.

*early work perk read*
    Karena
    4.5 stars. not generally a fan of slow burns but it was fun.
    Gretal
    Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: favorites
    No review could convey all my feelings regarding this book. It just blew my expectations out of the water. The slow burn, the pining, their respect and love for each other! hjskdflahsda.

I am obsessed with this book, and I cannot wait for it to come out so I can buy a copy.
    AJ
    May 23, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Cute f/f romance is all I want and need in life
    Mary Elizabeth
    Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This book is incredible and perfect and world, you are NOT ready.
    ✿
    Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it
    rep: Jewish bisexual mc, Chinese American lesbian mc

there were a few contributing factors to the lower rating, including incorrect social media marketing comparing this to breaking character (though i didn’t like the latter, so i’m glad this wasn’t the same), labelling it a fake dating romance, my dislike for very large age gaps, and incredibly slow-burn romance. i’m aware everyone else loves books where the couple barely interact until the final chapter, or some find charm in romances between
    Alicia Herrington
    Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Librarian: In the last 10 years LGBT romances have exploded across the YA market. A whole generation of teen readers have gotten used to having romances as diverse as they are. Well now those teenagers are growing up, and they want that same level of diversity in the adult romances they read. 'Something to Talk About' is a good one to hand them. It's as much frothy fun as any other Hollywood romance on the market, and it has at least some of the diverse content that the upcoming generation of ...more
    Shoshana G
    Jan 13, 2020 rated it liked it
    Shelves: romance
    Most of the book is about the ethics/power dynamics of their relationship which is good! I read a lot of romances where the consent is in some way dubious and/or coerced that it's nice to read a romance where the relationship is indisputably morally correct. I actually have a lot of thoughts about this issue that don't necessarily belong in this review but suffice it to say that I do think it's fun to sometimes read about "bad" sex that would be wrong IRL but so much romance from the past is ...more
    Madeline
    Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I really enjoyed the book. It's high time more money was put into f/f romance, and this will definitely help the genre open up more to queer characters and writers. The writing style was descriptive and funny, and offered a close glimpse into the characters' minds, which is important for contemporary romance! I loved how the romance developed between Emma and Jo, and thought that Wilsner did a great job with plotting and characterization.

I also loved how serious topics were handled by Wilsner.
    Lucy
    Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    THIS IS THE GREATEST BOOK. IT'S EVEN BETTER THAN I HAD HOPED AND MY HOPE WERE EXTREMELY HIGH.

I LOVE IT AND I CAN'T WAIT TO READ EVERYTHING MERYL WILSNER WRITES FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIFE
    Bethany
    Emma is the 27 year-old assistant of Shonda Rhimes-like Jo Jones, a former child actress who has cultivated and runs a massive production company. Emma is superb at her job, and Jo's life certainly runs more smoothly thanks to Emma. But maybe it's more than just smooth running thanks to Emma.... Rumors of a relationship between boss and assistant crop up after Emma innocently accompanies Jo to the SAG Awards. As the two work through their feelings-- denial and finally slow acceptance-- a ...more
    Caitlin Siciliano
    Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Emma is Jo's assistant, and she's very good at her job. Perhaps too good, because rumors start to spread that Jo and Emma are dating. Jo tries to convince Emma that "no comment" is the best course of action, but things spiral out of control quickly and the rumors will not die down. It doesn't help that someone on set is clearly leaking information to fuel the fire. Emma and Jo may have feelings for each other, after all, but how can they be together if it could destroy both of their careers?

I
    Michelle Rodriguez
    Jan 24, 2020 rated it liked it
    Meryl Wilsner is a new to me author. This book was suggested via Net Galley. After reading the blurb, I requested to read.

Let’s start with the positive. The author is a good writer. What you read from the blurb is actually how the story goes. Most blurbs are spoilerish, but the theme behind STTA was must right.

I really enjoyed both characters in different ways. Everyone should have an Emma as an assistant and Jo as a boss.

Although as I mention above is good, and usually I don’t mind a slow
    Em
    Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    What I liked most about this was how real Emma and Jo felt - their reactions, their concerns, their gradual realization of how much the other meant to them all made the characters believable and so easy to root for. The supporting characters, especially Avery and Evelyn, were a lot of fun as well. The red carpet photo and the rumors, pus their boss/employee relationship aren't the only obstacles Jo and Emma have to deal with, which also made the story more fleshed out.

I'm glad to see publishers
    Allison
    Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: debut-novels, novels
    I knew I'd love SOMETHING TO TALK ABOUT because it's a lesbian romantic comedy (and an interracial couple, at that) but FRIENDS I was not expecting it to be the perfect, pro-consent, adorable romance novel that it is. This book made me so happy. There was not as much steam and explicit content as I usually like in my romance novels (LOL), but the build up was absolutely delicious and the commitment to consent was YES YES YES. Wilsner handled the boss/assistant aspect of Jo and Emma's ...more
    Erin
    Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Well, that was adorable. A very sweet, slow-burn Hollywood romance. I was initially nervous about the power dynamic between an older boss and her younger assistant, but Jo (the boss) is extremely conscious and careful. Frustratingly so, at times!

This is a story about learning to speak up for yourself and going after what you want. At any age. I hope we’ll get to see Emma and Jo again in future books.
    Paula Pergament
    Just ok. The writing is solid, but slow burns don’t appeal to me unless the story and interactions between the characters are engaging. There’s a lot of back and forth about the two main characters are going to manage their relationship publicly, and this isn’t enough to sustain interest. Hard to care about these characters as I could not get invested in their relationship.
    Audrey
    Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: fiction, romance
    This was very cute, and had a great plot and characters I really enjoyed, but it was VERY slow-burn. Loads of build up and anticipation, very little denouement. After being in these characters' heads through all the trials, tribulations, and angst, I wanted way more time spent on the ending result!
    Nov 20, 2019 marked it as not-yet-released
    Shelves: sapphic, queer-lit
    November 20, 2019: OOF! That is a good cover!
    Amanda
    Jan 20, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    The power disparaty, on multiple points, between the two mains colored my enjoyment too much for me to really recommend this title.
    Ari
    Nov 20, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Berkley has quickly become my fave romance imprint and I am beyond excited to hear that they're publishing their first queer romance!!! I really hope this is the first of many.
    Tash McAdam
    Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I read this as a first draft and it was already amazing so I am beyond excited to get the edited version in my sweaty little hands :)
    Doris Raines
    Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
    YES GOSSIP SURELY DO SPREAD.
    Dana
    Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I read this in a fevered sprint, and it was so hard to put down. The story is compelling, the romance is the slowest of slow burns, and the payoff is so, so lovely.
    Anouk
    Jan 24, 2020 rated it liked it
    LESBIANS

the friends-to-lovers / accidental fake dating absolutely JUMPED out and it was tasty and delicious and I guess I'm into trash romance now

• Undercover Bromance (Bromance Book Club, #2)
    • The Roommate
    • Scot Under the Covers (Wild Wicked Highlanders, #2)
    • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
    • Hither, Page (Page & Sommers, #1)
    • The Honey-Don't List
    • Date Me, Bryson Keller!
    • Faker
    • The Good Luck Charm
    • Here's Looking at You
    • A Delicate Deception (Regency Imposters, #3)
    • Love Lettering
    • The Worst Best Man
    • The Regrets
    • Lobizona (Wolves of No World, #1)
    • Blitzed (Playbook, #3)
    • What Kind of Girl
    • Frankissstein: A Love Story
    Meryl Wilsner writes stories about queer women falling in love. Born in Michigan, Meryl lived in Portland, Oregon and Jackson, Mississippi before recently returning to the Mitten State. Some of Meryl’s favorite things include: all four seasons, button down shirts, the way giraffes run, and their wife.