Start by marking “If Men, Then: Poems” as Want to Read:
If Men, Then: Poems

If Men, Then: Poems

A darkly humorous new collection of poems by the Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and author of Wideawake Field and Amity and Prosperity

If Men, Then, Eliza Griswold's second poetry collection, charts a radical spiritual journey through catastrophe. Griswold's language is forthright and intimate as she steers between the chaos of a tumultuous inner world and an
Published February 11th 2020 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux

To ask other readers questions about If Men, Then, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If Men, Then

Start your review of If Men, Then: Poems
Michael
Feb 25, 2020 added it
Shelves: 2020, poetry
Alternately clever and somber poems about antiquity, Western Asia, and the Mediterranean, exploring myth as well as the sorrows and joys of daily life.
Ed Meek
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it

The intersection of style and content in poetry can be powerful and effective a way poets can help their readers find order amid the chaos of our current era, to paraphrase Robert Frost. The trick is to arrive at the right balance of aesthetic and content. In art, the aesthetic must come first. Things fall apart; the center cannot hold is, after all, prose. The line works because it builds on an opening metaphor. And because the statements succinctness reverberates with us (still) in an age of
Rebecca
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I picked up If Men, Then randomly at a bookstore, being completely unaware of the acclaim its author has received. I read the first lines, and immediately thought, wow, I need to read this. Eliza Griswold is a journalist who has worked in conflict zones and won the 2019 Pulitzer for her nonfiction book on fracking in Appalachia. Her poetry is beautiful and dark, spanning topics like the refugee crisis, war, identity, love, history and more.

On war:
"Twenty men crossing a bridge,
into a village,
is
hiaa123
Mar 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
I find it difficult to find poetry that I can really savour but I thoroughly enjoyed Griswold's collection. I find poetry about war, antiquity, and myths to be particularly resonant. Griswold's writing is engaging, sharp, and intricate. I am interested in seeking out some of her articles to learn more about her experiences as a journalist.

Here are some lines I particularly connected with at this time:

"We turn to the wisdom of elsewhere.
In the bookstore, we find
Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
shelved in
Ashley
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
This took me all around the world, through time, and then brought me home once again. I would love to read more of her poetry!
Morgan
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
Personal taste. I enjoyed some of the poems, but overall this book didn't really connect with me.
Karamm.z
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
If men then is a poetry book which talks about the daily pain and sorrow one woman felt in their lives due to war and crisis. Swipe right to check out my fav poem!
It has a very dark and emotional theme but but wrote it in a way to send out a message to everyone in the world to be safe. Cherish what you have and not take it for granted.
This was my first poetry book of the year. Managed to pick this up from the @publiclibrarysg at tampines hub. They have a wide range of new and common poetry
Kassidy Walsh
Mar 15, 2020
Lea
Mar 15, 2020
L
rated it did not like it
Mar 04, 2020

• When the World Didn't End
  • Homie
  • Deaf Republic
  • Sulwe
  • Wolf Hall (Thomas Cromwell, #1)
  • The Uninhabitable Earth: Life After Warming
  • She Said: Breaking the Sexual Harassment Story That Helped Ignite a Movement
  • Red at the Bone
  • How We Fight For Our Lives
  • Goodbye, Things: The New Japanese Minimalism
  • I'm Telling the Truth, but I'm Lying: Essays
  • Credence
  • Dreamland: The True Tale of America's Opiate Epidemic
  • Blanche Passes Go (Blanche White series Book 4)
  • What Kind of Girl
  • Limelight
  • How Music Can Make You Better: (Motivational book, Neuroscience book)
Eliza Griswold is an American journalist and poet. She was a fellow at the New America Foundation from 2008 to 2010 and won a 2010 Rome Prize from the American Academy of Arts and Letters.

(wikipedia)