Start by marking “Suppose We (The Flying Crooked series Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Suppose We (The Flying Crooked series Book 1)

Suppose We

(The Flying Crooked #1)

When a ship crash-lands on a faraway planet the crew needs local help. Unfortunately, the natives are a million years ahead of us. Ignored, the crew has to find a way to get attention.

Bringing back a sense of discovery and wonder to science fiction.

“I’ve always found Geoff’s work both inspirational and brilliant. I know that whenever I pick up one of his works I’m in f
Published May 20th 2019 by LL-Publications

To ask other readers questions about Suppose We, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suppose We

Start your review of Suppose We (The Flying Crooked series Book 1)
Kate Rauner
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Unexpected - defies tropes to bring an imaginative story of first contact on an alien world. Fun novella
Natasja Hellenthal
Aug 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
‘Suppose We’ by Geoff Nelder is a First Contact Sci-Fi novel published in 2019. It’s focused around four people who have been travelling in a spaceship from Earth to a new world set in the Kepler 20 system. The planetary system by the way does exist in the Milky Way between Cynus and Lyra. The planet the story sets on has yet to be discovered so that part is imagined, but in a very realistic way. How it is described, one can easily imagine a planet like Kepler-20h, though it’s very unlike Earth! ...more
Lucy Andrews
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rich descriptions and vivid imagery

Suppose We is full of rich descriptions and vivid imagery that is a joy to read. The description of the alien world, including its dangers, bring it to life in a way that allows the reader to imagine being there. The characters are well drawn and as the story unwinds, the reader gradually learns more about the planet that they are on. I enjoyed this book immensely and will certainly read the sequel.

Mark Iles
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've read all of Geoff Nelder's work, found them all superbly written and this is no exception. What a fabulous read, can't believe it was only delivered this morning and I've read it already!
Geoff's world building is exemplary, the character conflict brilliant, and there's a real sense of other worldiness with the Kep. With the senses all covered you find yourself really invested in the tale. Loved 'Papillon', naming the 'butterfly' that really made me smile.
My only complaint is that it ended t
Nicole Luttrell
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Suppose We is about a group of space explorers investigating a planet that they hope mankind can make a second home. The only problem is that the citizens don't have any intention of acknowledging their existence. So the problem becomes, how to get their attention without drawing their ire.

I really loved the scientific details of this story. It felt like it really could happen.
I also loved the main character, Gaston. His constant positive outlook while everything was going to hell was great. An
Bob Rich
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The best thing about reading speculative fiction is the creative imagination of someone else, who thinks up things (even) I haven’t. If the writing is good, I join into the author’s reality-construction while reading. Then, afterward, the new concepts challenge me. I muse over “what if” considerations, and perhaps my view of the possible is enlarged.
This is why I enjoy Geoff Nelder’s writing. He and I think very differently. At first, some of his concepts strike me as bizarre -- then they grow o
Eamonn Murphy
Jun 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I've reviewed a few of Geoff Nelder’s SF stories in ‘Perihelion SF’ and liked them so he felt emboldened to send me an advance copy of his new collection, ‘Incremental’. I’m glad he did. The blurb says: ‘These twenty-five tales from Geoff Nelder have increment as a theme.’

The meaning of: Increment: Noun – an increase or addition, especially one of a series on a fixed scale. I didn’t always see this theme in the stories but they were so good I didn’t care.

The opening yarn is ‘Pothole’. In Madrid,
Natasja Hellenthal
Mar 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
“Absolutument. We have to cease thinking like a human.”

‘Suppose We’ is a First Contact Sci-Fi novel published in 2019. It’s focused around four people who have been travelling in a spaceship from Earth to a new world set in the Kepler 20 system. The planetary system by the way does exist in the Milky Way between Cynus and Lyra. The planet the story sets on has yet to be discovered so that part is imagined, but in a very realistic way. How it is described, one can easily imagine a planet like Kep
Charles Remington
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Suppose We is the name of an interstellar exploration ship manned by a crew of four, with a mission to explore a suitable planet for human habitation in the Kepler system. It is also the title of the latest book by author Geoff Nelder. The story commences when Science Officer Gaston Poirer is woken from his stasis sleep by the ship’s AI which has detected huge Jupiter-sized spherical gas clouds heading for the same planet as themselves. Unsure what to make of the situation, Poirer decides to wak ...more
Jeff Hawkin
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved Nelder's Aria trilogy with its unique amnesia ideas, so when amazon told me about suppose we (what a great name for a ship and book!!) I had to give it a go. Brill. Loved the vegan science officer and felt his angst even though I'm not even a veggie tho maybe shuld be. Glad there are only 4 chief people in the story and that we could follow what they thought and did. That AI is awesome. Like HAL only more crazy. That butterfly! Who else would give a role to a butterfly! gENIUS. ...more
Amy Johnson
Apr 30, 2021 rated it liked it
This was definitely something unlike anything I’ve read so far this year. Nelder is clearly a talented author with a fantastic sense of creativity.

Yet, for some reason, I wasn’t as hooked as I wanted to be. Often, the story dragged on, and a lot of it went over my head. That is definitely a personal issue!

I’m sure in the right hands, this book will be well loved. It just isn’t for my tastes!
Vegan
Dec 20, 2021 rated it liked it
This was a good story filled with interesting ideas. However, I didn't like the way it was written nor was I drawn to any of the characters. I won't be reading the second book as a result. ...more
Johnny
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, own-it
As a return favor for the English marketing campaign to vote for my story "Enjoy Your Meal" in the European flash fiction competition, I bought and read "Suppose We" by my old writer friend Geoff Nelder, the first part of his "Flying Crooked" series.

Geoff mainly writes science fiction and humorous crime. He has good ideas, but the finished product is not always in my taste. The first chapter of his last book reads very chaotic. There are many characters that I found difficult to differentiate. M
Thomas Defazio
May 24, 2019
Debajyoti Datta
May 28, 2019
Geoff Nelder
May 21, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
John W. Russell
Jul 10, 2022

• Two Souls
  • When the Floods Came
  • 21 Lessons for the 21st Century
  • The Circadian Code: Lose Weight, Supercharge Your Energy, and Transform Your Health from Morning to Midnight
  • A Day in Your Life: 24 Hours Inside the Human body
  • Ayoade on Top
  • Aliens: Phalanx
  • What I Talk About When I Talk About Running
  • City of Saints and Madmen (Ambergris, #1)
  • Alien: Covenant Origins
  • Alien: Covenant
  • The End of the World Running Club (The End of the World Running Club, #1)
  • The Second Coming of Hell
  • Queen of All (The Jena Cycle Book 1)
  • Forget it
  • The Immortal: Lesbian Romance Mythology Series Book 3
  • The Walls of Orion (The Walls of Orion duology, #1)
  • SkyWhisperers
Geoff Nelder has a wife, two grown-up kids, an increasing number of grandkids, and lives in rural England within an easy cycle ride of the Welsh mountains. He taught Geography and Information Technology for years until writing took over his life. Geoff is a competition short-fiction judge, and a freelance editor.

Publications include several non-fiction books on climate reflecting his other persona