Start by marking “Suppose We (The Flying Crooked series Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Suppose We (The Flying Crooked series Book 1)

Suppose We

(The Flying Crooked #1)

When a ship crash-lands on a faraway planet the crew needs local help. Unfortunately, the natives are a million years ahead of us. Ignored, the crew has to find a way to get attention.

Bringing back a sense of discovery and wonder to science fiction.

“I’ve always found Geoff’s work both inspirational and brilliant. I know that whenever I pick up one of his works I’m in f
Published May 20th 2019 by LL-Publications

To ask other readers questions about Suppose We, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suppose We

Start your review of Suppose We (The Flying Crooked series Book 1)
Kate Rauner
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Unexpected - defies tropes to bring an imaginative story of first contact on an alien world. Fun novella
Lucy Andrews
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rich descriptions and vivid imagery

Suppose We is full of rich descriptions and vivid imagery that is a joy to read. The description of the alien world, including its dangers, bring it to life in a way that allows the reader to imagine being there. The characters are well drawn and as the story unwinds, the reader gradually learns more about the planet that they are on. I enjoyed this book immensely and will certainly read the sequel.

Mark Iles
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've read all of Geoff Nelder's work, found them all superbly written and this is no exception. What a fabulous read, can't believe it was only delivered this morning and I've read it already!
Geoff's world building is exemplary, the character conflict brilliant, and there's a real sense of other worldiness with the Kep. With the senses all covered you find yourself really invested in the tale. Loved 'Papillon', naming the 'butterfly' that really made me smile.
My only complaint is that it ended t
Nicole Luttrell
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Suppose We is about a group of space explorers investigating a planet that they hope mankind can make a second home. The only problem is that the citizens don't have any intention of acknowledging their existence. So the problem becomes, how to get their attention without drawing their ire.

I really loved the scientific details of this story. It felt like it really could happen.
I also loved the main character, Gaston. His constant positive outlook while everything was going to hell was great. An
Bob Rich
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The best thing about reading speculative fiction is the creative imagination of someone else, who thinks up things (even) I haven’t. If the writing is good, I join into the author’s reality-construction while reading. Then, afterward, the new concepts challenge me. I muse over “what if” considerations, and perhaps my view of the possible is enlarged.
This is why I enjoy Geoff Nelder’s writing. He and I think very differently. At first, some of his concepts strike me as bizarre -- then they grow o
Eamonn Murphy
Jun 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I've reviewed a few of Geoff Nelder’s SF stories in ‘Perihelion SF’ and liked them so he felt emboldened to send me an advance copy of his new collection, ‘Incremental’. I’m glad he did. The blurb says: ‘These twenty-five tales from Geoff Nelder have increment as a theme.’

The meaning of: Increment: Noun – an increase or addition, especially one of a series on a fixed scale. I didn’t always see this theme in the stories but they were so good I didn’t care.

The opening yarn is ‘Pothole’. In Madrid,
Charles Remington
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Suppose We is the name of an interstellar exploration ship manned by a crew of four, with a mission to explore a suitable planet for human habitation in the Kepler system. It is also the title of the latest book by author Geoff Nelder. The story commences when Science Officer Gaston Poirer is woken from his stasis sleep by the ship’s AI which has detected huge Jupiter-sized spherical gas clouds heading for the same planet as themselves. Unsure what to make of the situation, Poirer decides to wak ...more
Jeff Hawkin
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved Nelder's Aria trilogy with its unique amnesia ideas, so when amazon told me about suppose we (what a great name for a ship and book!!) I had to give it a go. Brill. Loved the vegan science officer and felt his angst even though I'm not even a veggie tho maybe shuld be. Glad there are only 4 chief people in the story and that we could follow what they thought and did. That AI is awesome. Like HAL only more crazy. That butterfly! Who else would give a role to a butterfly! gENIUS.
Johnny
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, own-it
As a return favor for the English marketing campaign to vote for my story "Enjoy Your Meal" in the European flash fiction competition, I bought and read "Suppose We" by my old writer friend Geoff Nelder, the first part of his "Flying Crooked" series.

Geoff mainly writes science fiction and humorous crime. He has good ideas, but the finished product is not always in my taste. The first chapter of his last book reads very chaotic. There are many characters that I found difficult to differentiate. M
Thomas Defazio
May 24, 2019
Debajyoti Datta
May 28, 2019
Geoff Nelder
May 21, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
John W. Russell

• All Fall Down
  • India, Pakistan and the Secret Jihad: The Covert War in Kashmir, 1947-2004
  • Imagined Worlds
  • The Kaoboys & R&AW: Down Memory Lane
  • Semiosis (Semiosis Duology, #1)
  • Fantasy & Science Fiction, March/April 2014 (The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, #712)
  • We Never Talk about My Brother
  • Hot Times in Magma City, 1990-95 (The Collected Stories of Robert Silverberg, #8)
  • The Heritage of Heinlein: A Critical Reading of the Fiction
  • Star Trek: The Newspaper Comics, Volume 2: Complete Dailies and Sundays 1981-1983
Geoff Nelder has a wife, two grown-up kids, an increasing number of grandkids, and lives in rural England within an easy cycle ride of the Welsh mountains. He taught Geography and Information Technology for years until writing took over his life. Geoff is a competition short-fiction judge, and a freelance editor.

Publications include several non-fiction books on climate reflecting his other persona

News & Interviews