Start by marking “Mixed Signals” as Want to Read:
Mixed Signals

Mixed Signals

(Off the Grid #3)

“This trilogy gets better with each book.” — Library Journal

“Cole’s Off the Grid series succeeds because it captures the unsettling details of its dystopian setting beautifully, but also because its main characters are so very human and relatable.”

RT Book Reviews

“This is friends-to-lovers romance…but it’s in the science-fiction story line where Cole really shines. The
ebook
Published September 16th 2019 by Carina Press (first published October 19th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Mixed Signals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mixed Signals

Start your review of Mixed Signals
Kerryn (RatherBeReading)
I'm not going to lie, I really enjoy the trope of a romance between a girl and her slightly older protective figure, so this installment in this series was right up my alley.

I really enjoyed getting to see more of Maggie as a character and getting to explore her a little more deeply.

I did still have the same problems with this installement as I have had with the previous two books in the series. The dialogue in some parts of the story feels off and the whole post apocalyptic/dystopian aspects of
Janell Sutherland
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This is the third book in a post-apocalyptic series. I still haven’t read the first, but I reviewed (and enjoyed) the second book here. It’s been a few years since the Flare knocked out all the electricity. Long enough for small power grids to come back on. Long enough for Maggie, the youngest Seong sibling, to get her GED, learn to play the guitar really well, and head off to college.

As the story opens, Maggie is chopping off all of her hair. It’s been her most complimented feature, and she hid
Liz B
The first half was a lot stronger than the second half. (And the first book in this series was a lot stronger than this one.)

Loved the MC's voice--would've liked this more as a non-romance YA, as a matter of fact. It's really, really new-adulty, and I'm just not that into reading about the romantic exploits and sexytimes of college kids. This is not particularly a flaw of the book--I'm just not its reader. Maggie just sounds and acts like what she is--a 20-year-old college freshman.

The guy is
Trish
Periodically I read an actual romance novel because, hey, I like romance and I like to think I'm not snobby about genres. So, having had a go at some historical romance and finding it not to my taste, I decided to have a go at some sci-fi romance. And hey, turns out that's not to my taste either.
I'm sure this is a perfectly good example of its subgenre, but it's not for me, and I can't even put my finger on exactly why. The sexy bits were grand. The female characters were good. But I think the
Selina Durio
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This post apocalyptic story was a definite page turner. As the third installment in the Off The Grid series, this is a stand alone, but is best read after the first two. All of the underlying events and characters in this book are set up by the other books. To get to delve in to Maggie's coming of age story, after she and her family have survived The Flare, was almost like reading about any young adult trying to find themselves. Her growing relationship with Edwin, in the midst of his own ...more
Jen
I feel like Cole hit her stride with this one. I liked but didn’t love the first, the second stalled for me, and this one was a complete winner. Too Hot, Too Cold, Just Right? Yeah, something like that.
P.S. Edwin occasionally sounded like a mouthpiece but overall, he was the hero I’d been holding out for. I wouldn’t kick him out of bed for eating crackers. Or porridge.
P.P.S ARC provided by Netgalley
Michael Underwood
My favorite of the three books in this series. The science fictional aspect of the world really came into its own in this book, and serves to support and frame the social and personal context of the romance.
Margaret
Romanceopoly: College Row - New Adult set in college.

I requested book 1 in the series more than a year ago and the library never ordered it. But now they got books 2 and 3 so I started at the end of the series. I suspect the post-apocalyptic elements are more prominent in the earlier books. This one addresses the different types of trauma the characters suffered and shows them starting to heal as the country and infrastructure are similarly recovering.
And of course there’s a friends to lovers
Riah
Jan 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, read-harder
This is the third in a series of post-apocalyptic romance novels, focused on a family of Korean Americans living in New York state after a worldwide blackout destroys society. This volume is focused on the youngest sister in the family, who goes off to college a few years later, after society has started to rebuild itself. While I didn't like it as much of the first two, since it features a very unbalanced love triangle and the post-apocalyptic part of the plot wasn't as strong, I still enjoyed ...more
Rachel- Goodbye Borders
Maggie gets her turn. She was 16 or so in the first 2 books. Typical, bratty teen in those books IMO.
Fast forward 4 years and Maggie is going off on her own for an education. It was nice Maggie got her story. She left home, found love, saved the world, and returned home. I liked the epilogue, she's going to continue to do good things. (Not to mention no longer the bratty person she was).
Elizabeth
This didn't appeal to me as much as the other books in the series. Because of the main character's isolation, she knows very little of the world and she's naive. That all makes sense but made this book feel a little more YA than I expected. Now I think it would be an excellent book for teenagers to read.
Tayla
Boxy Frown
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this series
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
The Romance Review

Dystopian futures still require schooling - how mundane. Full disclosure, I did not read the first two books in this series. Whilst it is fine to read this book as a standalone, it is recommended to read the first two books as there are references to previous events and characters.

Maggie Seong is a lucky girl. She survived the Flare with her family intact. In addition, her family increases as her brothers get married. Now that things are settling down, her parents are urging her to explore the
Chasia Lloyd
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the Seong family so much - they're open about their private lives and always making jokes, but they're intensely devoted to protecting each other, especially in the aftermath of the Flare. So of course I was excited to read the next book in the OFF THE GRID series when I saw it was going to focus on the youngest Seong sibling, Maggie. The world is slowly rebuilding itself and getting back "online", but it's nowhere near what it once was. Guitar-playing Maggie branches away from her family ...more
Kelly
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, read-in-2015
This series is SO good. I love that we got to see how quickly the world fell apart and then watch the survivors find a way to piece it back together again as the series progressed. It's not always pretty and there are plenty of bumps in the road, but they're slowly making it work.

Maggie's grown up a lot since the first book. At the same time, she's been very lucky to have her entire family survive the crazy. She was sheltered because of this and being out in the world--even a carefully
Jenny Koch
Read this one on the plane. Loved the heroine (which was mildly surprising as she was a bit of a teenage brat in book one) - she's still growing up but I like where her head is at. She's had a crush on Edwin for years but he turned her down when she propositioned him. At the start of this book, Maggie is going away to college and Edwin is going to be keeping an eye on her while there. I liked that she recognized that despite her crush and then subsequent avoidance after her failed seduction, she ...more
Miss Susan
i cannot remember what inspired me to read this (no one i follow here seems to have reviewed it?) but will take this decision as proof of my impeccable taste

maggie seong is off to college and not thrilled about the idea. she's never left her family since the flare -- basically a massive energy surge that killed all electricity everywhere? the world's in the recovery phase of a post-apocalyptic narrative -- and knowing that her siblings will be engaged in Risky Business trying to help restore
Ardith
4 years after the world was forever changed, the world is just starting to build back up. Maggie Seong has been with her family in a cabin, but as the world is starting to open back up, she leaves to get higher education and the newly reopened college.

Coming along with is family friend Edwin Hernandez (side character of the previous book Signal Boost). So what if she’s already embarrassed herself by trying to make a move on him. They can be friends, right?

I really enjoyed how this series keeps
Bella
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mixed signals is a SF love story. After the Flare in which millions has lost their lives and homes Maggie gets opportunity for going in collage. What are the odds that she get escort from her crush Edwin. But that’s not all he goes in the same collage as she. The greater shock is when she discovers that in her dorm lives her first online boyfriend. Edwin has lost everything in Flare the last thing he wants is to lose his new adopted family because of his feelings to youngest daughter.
Fate's Lady
Jul 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, romance, poc
This was a fun read, but probably my least favorite of the trilogy. Maggie is sweet but she's very young and I feel like it shows (note: that's excellent writing coming through; just not my favorite kind of character to read about). There was also a lack of the fun phase of two characters getting to know each other because the hero and heroine were old friends. Still, the story was excellent, the writing superb, and the romance sweet and fun. Great for younger romance readers or those just ...more
Rachel Simone
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Angel Hatfield
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maggie has survived the Flare and is now going to college. She has a crush on a family friend Edwin and he has deemed himself to be her protector as Maggie is innocent. Maggie had found her first boyfriend online - Devon and found he actually lived in her dorm.
I enjoyed this story but did find it a little predictable. I enjoyed the characters: Maggie, Devon, Danielle, and Edwin and all the ins and outs they went through. I also liked the story and plot. I recommend.
**I received an ARC of this
ms bookjunkie
*happy sigh* Rebuilding. Friends to lovers. Hope. This book is possibly my favorite in the trilogy, and the least anxiety-inducing of them because some kind of order is being established. (It's me. I like order in contemporary-set books, and though this is post-apocalyptic, it's still contemporary-set.)
Naomi
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This book is set a few years after the first two, which allows it to address what happens after people have time to adjust/adapt to the new conditions and start rebuilding.

As with the first two books, my one real frustration with this one is that it ended sooner than I wanted--not that it ended sooner than the story should've, but I wanted to spend longer in that world.
Maya Frank-Levine
It's hard to talk about this book without devolving into gushing. Strong narrative voice, stellar characters, and thrilling plot. Also fascinating to see a society during the rebuilding process--most disaster fiction ends before this point. A wonderful end to a wonderful series!
Ro M
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all I would like to thank the author, publisher and netgalley for lending my a copy in exchange of an honest review.
Now my thoughts on this one: It was a good book, very entertaining and I enjoyed the post-apocalyptic theme going on. I totally recommend it :)
Jenn
What a great series! I read all three in two days, and thought they were so fun. Any time I can shelve a book on both the apocalypse/dystopia shelf AND the romance shelf, well. Throw in the upstate NY location, and you have a win for me.
Marie
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, quick, don't-think-about-it-too-hard read, with a diverse cast. Read the whole series in one day.

• Sweet on the Greek (Just for Him #3)
  • That Kind of Guy (Ravenswood, #3)
  • Bad for the Boss (Just for Him, #1)
  • Untouchable (Ravenswood #2)
  • Mating the Huntress
  • Undone by the Ex-Con (Just for Him, #2)
  • Damaged Goods (Ravenswood, #1.5)
  • Merry Inkmas
  • The Lady's Guide to Celestial Mechanics (Feminine Pursuits, #1)
  • Xeni (Loose Ends #2)
  • Hamilton's Battalion: A Trio of Romances
  • A Girl Like Her (Ravenswood, #1)
  • Hold Me (Cyclone, #2)
  • How Not to Let Go (Belhaven, #2)
  • Sanctuary  (Beards and Bondage, #2)
  • Haven (Beards & Bondage, #1)
  • Rafe: A Buff Male Nanny (Loose Ends #1)
  • Once Upon a Marquess (The Worth Saga #1)
Alyssa Cole is an award-winning author of historical, contemporary, and sci-fi romance. Her Civil War-set espionage romance An Extraordinary Union was the RT Reviewers’ Choice Award’s Best Book of 2017 and the American Library Association’s RUSA Best Romance for 2018, and A Princess in Theory was one of the New York Times’ 100 Notable Books of 2018. She’s contributed to publications including ...more

Off the Grid (3 books)
  • Radio Silence (Off the Grid, #1)
  • Signal Boost (Off the Grid, #2)
“All of these fuckers and their assbackward ideas,” Bina said with a curl of her mouth. I thought she was talking about Devon, but she was responding to Altaf. “I’m tired of idiots who try to drag people down because they’d rather everyone remain in the gutter. The frightening thing about this is that so many people, men especially, are attracted to the kind of power a reign of stupidity brings.” 0 likes