Start by marking “The Upside of Falling” as Want to Read:
The Upside of Falling

The Upside of Falling

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  14,508 ratings  ·  2,276 reviews
It’s been years since seventeen-year-old Becca Hart believed in true love. But when her former best friend teases her for not having a boyfriend, Becca impulsively pretends she’s been secretly seeing someone.

Brett Wells has it all. Being captain of the football team and one of the most popular guys in school, he should have no problem finding someone to date, but he’s alwa
Published February 18th 2020 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Upside of Falling, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Nivi There was definitely something else going on. It seemed to imply that he wasn't really happy with his new life? I don't know. It was a weird interacti…moreThere was definitely something else going on. It seemed to imply that he wasn't really happy with his new life? I don't know. It was a weird interaction and I felt like there was no real resolution in that scene, but I guess it wasn't really the focus of the story.(less)

·  14,508 ratings  ·  2,276 reviews

Start your review of The Upside of Falling
Aimal (Bookshelves & Paperbacks)
FAKE DATING TO REAL DATING IS ALL I EVER WANT FROM MY CONTEMPORARY ROMANCES
Christy

E758525C_180A_432B_AEF9_79EB2837F72C_IMG_7594

Fake dating is a troupe I always love. The Upside of Falling had that, along with a bookwork heroine, a sweet and popular hero, and at the cutest romance!

Becca is seventeen and doesn’t have experience with guys. In fact, after going through her parent’s messy divorce, she doesn’t believe in a forever kind of love. She’ll take romance in her books, but she’s not here for it in real life.

Heather
Jun 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-contemporary
A quick, super cute ya contemporary.
Enjoyed it!
Lia Carstairs
Never before have I read stories from Wattpad, but reading this really makes me want change that.🥰

And I think I've finally been cured from my slump.
Thank you Brecca—or maybe Brett and Becca. Which sounds better?🤔

What I really loved about The Upside of Falling was that there wasn't really that annoying school drama that involves the popular ex-best friend who wants to ruin the MC's life after seeing that she's dating the popular jock.
It was a nice change.🙌

Brett was such a sweet guy and Becca was
sam
Feb 23, 2020 rated it liked it
2.75⭐️

full review is up on My Blog———————————————————————-
Was it adorable? Yes. Did I love it? Not really. Should y’all give it a try? Sure why not. If you need something to binge then pick this one up.
L
I successfully wasted one night of my life by picking up this book.
[image error]

Lets get one thing straight, I loved To All the Boys I've Loved Before and after that I became a sucker for this whole fake-dating trope. But this book? Well this one is just a weird and unrealistic retelling of the whole Lara Jean and Peter K's love story and I just want my lost time back!!

Becca our MC doesn’t believe in love (shocker!) and Brett (what kind of name is Brett anyway?) our handsome love interest is lo
Fall-Out-Book-Nerd
Feb 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: physical-arcs
I was sent an ARC of this book from the publisher in exchange for a review.

I liked this book but it definitely hasnt become a new favourite. I think this is what I would consider a light, fluffy, probably summer read. It's a cute contemporary that can be read by the pool in one day. I'm looking forward to reading it again because there were some super cute moments which I was grinning at.

I felt like this could have been a little longer and there were more fake dating leading up to the romance b
abigailscupoftea
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE fake dating trope books! This story was so cute! I highly recommend to fans of Jenny Han and Kasie West.
Lerizza Mae (books&teacups)
Mar 14, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
DNF at 25%

This book is so full of cliches and have such a predictable plot that six chapters in I'm already skipping pages until the last chapter. I know that I said that I liked the MC during my last update, but that was chapter 1. I should've read more of the book before I posted any updates. Another lesson for me.

I admit that I find the MC more tolerable than others and I would've liked to read more of it if not for the things I mentioned above. I also think the characters are a bit one-dime
Larry H
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sometimes pretending to fall in love can be as difficult as actually doing so! At least that's the concept of Alex Light's new book, The Upside of Falling .

Becca doesn’t believe in love. Well, she knows it exists but she doesn’t think it’s worth the risk. Someone always ends it and someone always gets hurt, right? But she loves to read romance novels, because between the pages of a book things are safe and the heartbreak is contained. Lives aren't ruined like they are in real life when love g
l a u r a ♛
Dec 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5 :)

v e r y  c u t e

my only complaint with this book is the fact that SHE THREW HER BOOKS INTO THE LAKE??!? i’m sorry- i can’t-
Zoe (Book Hooked)
I, Zoe Book Hooked, read a contemporary. And not just any contemporary, a romance. And I liked it.

A poem to express my emotions:

Who is she?
That girl reading.
Zoe, it must be.
Yes, but she is read a contemporary.
I do think you’re right.
How scary.
Do you think she is Ill?
No she is fine.
She is a teen, she doesn’t know how she feels.
True but she reads fantasy alone.
But today is different.
She traveled to a world like her own.
Who is she?

I’m not sure myself... Anyways moving on.
If you don’t kn
Esmée
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
I’m officially too old for this...
Syndi
Jul 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am very careful picking up YA romance. Because YA is not my favorite romance story. And I am very satisfied with The Upside of Falling. This is a very cute cute romance.

Brad and Becca is just that typical high school sweetheart. A jock who kissed a nerd on a school hallway to save her face. Then along the way they develop more than just friend. This is really PG story. And yet I keep smilling listening to the audiobook.

I am very satisfied at the end.

4 stars
Lanae❀
I can't believe this story originated in Wattpad. you know, the website that supported the creation of a horrible book that cannot be named ("After" by Ana Todd). I don't even fuck with Wattpad because a lot of their stories that I used to read were pretty messed up, so I'm surprised this book came from the nice side of Wattpad.

The Upside Of Falling was pretty nice and sweet, and I enjoyed everything about it. I'm a sucker for the fake-relationship trope done well, and this book gave me that.
Claude's Bookzone
3.5 Stars

Well that was a bit adorable.

Stories about nerdy book lovers are always a winner with me. I can't think why. It touches on some important issues such as betrayal and lies but not so much that it detracts from the high levels of fluffiness. A quick and enjoyable read.
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
Not bad, but definitely not memorable for me. The Upside of Falling is a fun fake dating story, but it all felt a little rushed so I didn't connect with the characters (and by extension the relationship) as much as I wanted too. But I did like the focus on family we got and there were plenty of cute moments to make this a super quick story to read.

I received a copy of the book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Ⓟⓔⓐⓒⓗⓨ Ⓚⓔⓔⓝ Ⓡⓔⓐⓓⓢ
THE AUTHOR LIKED THIS REVIEW.

Thank you Alex Light from writing this wonderful YA Rom-Com!

I loved this quick, romantic read. Brett, the popular jock and a overall very nice and kind guy and Becca, a nobody bookworm come together in a situation and their fake relationship starts. But, just because it's fake doesn't mean it can't become very real. As they go through tough times and go through their lives together they realize, maybe there truly is a upside to falling.

I've almost always been against
Joshita ❤
Jun 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
My rating: 2 (Although I seem to be debating with myself about why am I even giving it 2 stars)

Of course, the girl was a nerd and cynical who wasn't popular.
Of course, the boy was popular and played football!
Of course, the girl had an ex-best friend who became popular and left her alone.
Of course one of their parents was divorced or getting a divorce.
Of course, the story was like every other Wattpad book

I was hoping to get a good story with the fake dating trope. After 'To all the boys
Candace Robinson
My favorite sort of contemporaries are ones that are cute with humor! This was a fun story with a super adorable dose of romance. Of course there were factors that came along that broke the leads apart, and I did get stressed out during those aspects. But I can understand why, especially with them being teens.

Brett was swoony and gentlemanly, while Becca was an awesome girl who loved to read. Just my kind of characters! Also, there was a bakery and talk about desserts, and that alone would have
Emma
Mar 31, 2020 rated it liked it
The fake dating trope is one of my favourites and so I was very happy to read a story that featured it. I think it was pretty well done, but to me it felt like things were happening very very quickly sometimes. I appreciated how the book tried to also focus on family relationships, it added something more to the storyline.
I just wanna say that Becca reading to Brett was the cutest thing ever.
Overall it was a cute and quick read!
Meags
3.5 Stars

The Upside of Falling is an easy, breezy contemporary YA romance, following high schoolers, Brett and Becca, as they find themselves thrust into a fake-relationship and the public image upkeep such a farce requires.

As these things tend to go, the ruse only last so long before bookish Becca and jockish Brett develop serious feelings for one another, helped along by their easy interactions and the common ground they increasingly find themselves sharing regarding the troubles associated wi
mina
Dec 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2020
↠2.5+

This was really cute, and I ended up liking it more than I thought I would.

The writing is good, however, the storytelling and characters need more development. I mean, if I faked a relationship with someone I wouldn’t get so fast in the comfortable-with-it zone. One of the things I liked was how we didn’t have cliché evil characters; I’m talking about her ex-best friend that became popular but wasn’t a bitch that was out to get her.
Yoda
May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
It was refreshing to read a book without unnecessary drama, the characters were nice and well written. There was a core group of people you got to know, sometimes YA books have way too many characters to keep track of, that was not the case here. I loved the main characters and their dynamic and how they genuinely cared about each other. Drama was not prolonged and book was fast paced. It was fun and quick read, definitely recommend it to any YA contemporary readers.
Kiera
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, romance
Really enjoyed this cute read. Fake dating is one of my favorite tropes!! My full review will be on my blog May 16 at 9 am PST!!
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
Apr 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: april-2020
It was kind of very insta-love and a lot of things said were cringe in some parts but two broken families make some good angst.

Full review to come.
tay❀ (taylor reads)
Feb 28, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2021-read
i’m sorry zo😩😢
to be honest i feel live i’ve read this exact book before, so i’m really not impressed😂 but it wasn’t super bad, i was just bored.
Beth
This was a cute little read!

I have to agree with some over reviews, there are a lot of cliches in this book with nothing particularly new about it.

I do have to say that some of the topics in this I appreciated, in particular a character figuring out how they identify!
Vanessa ♛Queen Alchemy ϟ Novel Nerd Faction♛
4.5/5 Stars

This is one of those books that will leave a perma-smile on your face. It's that stinkin' adorable. I knew the moment that I read the synopsis for this story that it was one that I had to read.

I adored these characters so much. The author has written these characters with depth that shows throughout the story. Both main characters have some really solid character development. I really loved their individual personalities. They both stood out and had their own distinct voices. I liked
Stacee
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I had seen a few reviews that this was pure fluff and I was really excited to get into it.

I liked Becca and Brett. She’s a bit stand off-ish and he’s fairly popular. They’re both smart and loyal and not nearly as different as they think they are. There’s a core group of characters and they’re all so supportive. And it was fairly refreshing to see parents so present, regardless of the thread of their story.

Plot wise, it moved fast. There wasn’t any real time reference and by the end of the book

• What I Like About You
  • I Hate You, Fuller James
  • Tweet Cute
  • You Say It First
  • Stay With Me (She's With Me, #2)
  • The Best Laid Plans
  • Eight Perfect Murders
  • The Lady Rogue
  • I Am Perfectly Designed
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Silently Falling
  • Infinity Son (Infinity Cycle #1)
  • Oona Out of Order
  • Not the Girl You Marry
  • Almost American Girl
  • Love From A to Z
  • Meet Me at Midnight
  • Making a Play (The Field Party, #5)
Alex Light is the author of the YA rom-com THE UPSIDE OF FALLING. She lives in Toronto, Canada, with her dog, two cats, and an endless love for winter. With a BA in English Literature, she has the perfect excuse to read too many books when she isn’t busy writing her own. Her other work can be found online on Wattpad and Episode.

Articles featuring this book

Are you searching for a great young adult novel to dive into? In that case, you've come to the right place. Goodreads members are pros at...
“People always talk about falling in love but no one ever talks about falling out of it.” 21 likes
“I mean, there’s a reason all books end right after the couple gets together. No one wants to keep reading long enough to see the happily ever after turn into an unhappily ever after. Right?” 20 likes