Start by marking “The Upside of Falling” as Want to Read:
The Upside of Falling

The Upside of Falling

Its been years since seventeen-year-old Becca Hart believed in true love. But when her former best friend teases her for not having a boyfriend, Becca impulsively pretends shes been secretly seeing someone.

Brett Wells has it all. Being captain of the football team and one of the most popular guys in school, he should have no problem finding someone to date, but hes always
Published February 18th 2020 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Upside of Falling, please sign up.
Morrigan I don't remember that many people with blonde hair and blue eyes in this book but I'm sure it benefited immensely from the publishing process. This is…moreI don't remember that many people with blonde hair and blue eyes in this book but I'm sure it benefited immensely from the publishing process. This is a very solid book. I did think the character descriptions were very romanticised at the beginning (mostly Brett's description) but it literally only takes five lines in the first chapter. Having read some novels on Wattpad (although not this one specifically) I can understand your misgivings about the quality of the writing but I assure you that the published version is well worth reading.(less)

Start your review of The Upside of Falling
Aimal (Bookshelves & Paperbacks)
Jul 04, 2019 marked it as anticipated-releases
FAKE DATING TO REAL DATING IS ALL I EVER WANT FROM MY CONTEMPORARY ROMANCES
Fall-Out-Book-Nerd
Feb 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: physical-arcs
I was sent an ARC of this book from the publisher in exchange for a review.

I liked this book but it definitely hasnt become a new favourite. I think this is what I would consider a light, fluffy, probably summer read. It's a cute contemporary that can be read by the pool in one day. I'm looking forward to reading it again because there were some super cute moments which I was grinning at.

I felt like this could have been a little longer and there were more fake dating leading up to the romance
Lerizza Mae (books&teacups)
Mar 14, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
DNF at 25%

This book is so full of cliches and have such a predictable plot that six chapters in I'm already skipping pages until the last chapter. I know that I said that I liked the MC during my last update, but that was chapter 1. I should've read more of the book before I posted any updates. Another lesson for me.

I admit that I find the MC more tolerable than others and I would've liked to read more of it if not for the things I mentioned above. I also think the characters are a bit
sam {inkquisitivereader}⚔
Was it adorable? Yes. Did I love it? Not really. Should yall give it a try? Sure why not. If you need something to binge then pick this one up.

3.5⭐

Full RTC
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
Not bad, but definitely not memorable for me. The Upside of Falling is a fun fake dating story, but it all felt a little rushed so I didn't connect with the characters (and by extension the relationship) as much as I wanted too. But I did like the focus on family we got and there were plenty of cute moments to make this a super quick story to read.

I received a copy of the book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Candace Robinson
My favorite sort of contemporaries are ones that are cute with humor! This was a fun story with a super adorable dose of romance. Of course there were factors that came along that broke the leads apart, and I did get stressed out during those aspects. But I can understand why, especially with them being teens.

Brett was swoony and gentlemanly, while Becca was an awesome girl who loved to read. Just my kind of characters! Also, there was a bakery and talk about desserts, and that alone would have
Stacee
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I had seen a few reviews that this was pure fluff and I was really excited to get into it.

I liked Becca and Brett. Shes a bit stand off-ish and hes fairly popular. Theyre both smart and loyal and not nearly as different as they think they are. Theres a core group of characters and theyre all so supportive. And it was fairly refreshing to see parents so present, regardless of the thread of their story.

Plot wise, it moved fast. There wasnt any real time reference and by the end of the book, it
Emma
Mar 31, 2020 rated it liked it
The fake dating trope is one of my favourites and so I was very happy to read a story that featured it. I think it was pretty well done, but to me it felt like things were happening very very quickly sometimes. I appreciated how the book tried to also focus on family relationships, it added something more to the storyline.
I just wanna say that Becca reading to Brett was the cutest thing ever.
Overall it was a cute and quick read!
Vanessa ♛Queen Alchemy ϟ Novel Nerd Faction♛
4.5/5 Stars

This is one of those books that will leave a perma-smile on your face. It's that stinkin' adorable. I knew the moment that I read the synopsis for this story that it was one that I had to read.

I adored these characters so much. The author has written these characters with depth that shows throughout the story. Both main characters have some really solid character development. I really loved their individual personalities. They both stood out and had their own distinct voices. I liked
Zahira⚡️
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
3,5⭐ a bit cheesy but so fluffy and adorable! Im always looking for a fake dating story✨ ...more
Elizabeth
I think I've outgrown these types of YA contemporaries. I do still enjoy some of them like Kasie West's novels, but I prefer the ones that focus more on character growth and (dare I say it) more angsty topics. I found this just so cheesy and it just wasn't super cute? I'm not sure how to explain it other than I just don't find these types of romance stories that enjoyable anymore. I thought the writing and the chatacters were fine and I just overall felt fine about this. It wasn't great but it ...more
Lizzy.Writes
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
NEW REVIEW: Wow! Alex Light didn't disappoint - in fact she DELIVERED! The Upside of Falling was just as delightful as I hoping for, and was just the Valentine's Day weekend read I needed. My heart is soaring, and these characters will always be with me. Really hope there's a sequel 👀

REVIEW BEFORE READING: Read this story on the Episode Interactive app and then again on Wattpad, when it was first under the name Rivals. So excited to read again with the new updates and new name, as Alex Light is
Colline Vinay Kook-Chun
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Upside of Falling was the perfect lighthearted, feel good read. The story is told from two points of view both Becca and Brett. During the story, the reader sees how both characters evolve and come to certain realisations. They learn to accept changes in their lives, and how to move on despite these changes.

The novel describes the first love of Becca, a bookish nerd. It is a love that is unexpected and sweet. In the story Becca finds her voice and learns to express her feelings. It is
Ruhi
I successfully wasted ONE NIGHT of my life by picking this book.
[image error]

Lets get one thing straight, I loved "To All The Boys I've Loved Before" and after that I became a sucker for this whole fake-dating troope. But this book? Well this one is just a weird and unrealistic retelling of To All The Boys. And I just want my lost time back!!

The whole plot is, Becca our MC doesnt believe in love (cliche!) and Brett our handsome Love interest is looking for a fake girlfriend to impress his dad.
Mina Vijendran
Mar 21, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5/5 stars!!!!

Such a cute read! Had many cute bits
StarsEternal
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
There are some YA contemporary romance books that are all-encompassing and beautiful*cough*Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda*cough*, and there's this one whose protagonist's name I forgot within a half hour of reading it.
Samantha (WLABB)
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Both had their reasons for not dating, but when Brett heard Becca being teased about her single status, he stepped in, and assumed the role of her doting fake boyfriend. The longer the charade continued, the more they began to enjoy each other's company, but would family drama derail this blossoming relationship?

This was super cute with quite a bit of weightier moments sprinkled throughout. I had a great time reading this book, and below are five things that added to my enjoyment.

How could I
Stacy
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 stars...This was a cute, quick read. I almost went with 3 stars because of the simple storyline. But then I remembered that was my fantasy/science fiction head talking. Im used to long books with tons of world building and a large cast of characters. I decided to listen to my heart instead. A contemporary that focuses on just two characters over a short period of time can still be a good read if I like the characters. And I did like Becca and Brett. Very much, in fact. This light read was a ...more
Ahana M Rao (Heart’s Content)
*Receieved an ARC from publisher via Edelweiss+. Thank you!*
Minja
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, in-english, yes, audiobooks
i can't!! this was so cute and Becca is so me?
nick
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it

3.5/5

Cute!
Caitlin Reads
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is perfect for fans of Sarah Dessen and Jenny Han! It features one of my favorite tropes - fake dating. The Upside of Falling was the first book I have read by Alex Light and I really enjoyed it. The main character, Becca, was really likable and a bookworm like me. I felt that the character of Brett could have been developed a little bit more but overall he was enjoyable as well. The kind of guy I would have liked in high school. This was a really cute young adult romance. It was well ...more
Kilikina
Jun 27, 2019 marked it as to-read
This cover is adorable!!
Emma L.
*** This review includes some spoilers ***

Rating: 🌟🌟🌟🌟 (4/5 stars).

I've just totally accepted that books, shows, and movies about fake dating just 100% do it for me. Since I absolutely one hundred percent loved this book and the audiobook was amazing. And I definitely have some opinions:

I basically was like I need a nap and why not listen to a book and suddenly the nap turned into me lying in my bed buried under soft blankets and napping for 4 hours. That's what I call iconic and I was
Katherine
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The upside of falling is a cute and fluffy romance that follows Becca who is a typical nerd. She loves to read romance novels ranging from timeless classics to the modern contemporaries novels but her only unique trait is that she does not believe in real life true love and soulmates. And finally we have Brett, a jock, captain of the football team with the focus on future rather than cliche of high school dating drama.

When Becca is corned in a discussion about true love, she suddenly finds
Tilly
Jan 22, 2020 rated it liked it

I really enjoyed this very cute YA contemporary romance. It was so pure and sweet!

Firstly, I think I am probably a little too old for this book although that didn't stop me from loving it and reading it in 24 hours.
The main characters Becca and Brett were brilliant. Characters full of heart and goodness. Not a player in sight! The back story of Becca was good, although I believe it was resolved too easily and that the scene with her dad was a little unrealistic.
I loved the side
Kristin
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Totally adorable love story that has a great backstory about romance books and how they fit into life when youre down, sad, and need a break from reality. I could completely relate, even though Im an old lady ;) ...more
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, audio-book-2020
This was super cute and adorable. :)
Finding Welsh Kings
Feb 20, 2020 marked it as to-read
I don't usually read books like this but I HEARD FAKE DATING AND I WANT IT.
Sophie
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher. This in no way impacted on my view.

As soon as I heard about this book, I knew it was one for me, and I immediately pre-ordered it, and when I was sent a review copy from Harper360, I dove straight in. The fake relationship trope has always been a favourite of mine, and will probably be in the future too.

In The Upside of Falling, our MC, Becca, adores reading romance books, but is jaded against actual relationships or love, after seeing her

• Moment of Truth
  • Tweet Cute
  • How to Speak Boy
  • Of Curses and Kisses (St. Rosetta's Academy, #1)
  • I Hate You, Fuller James
  • The Worst Best Man
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • Hearts, Strings, and Other Breakable Things
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • Stay With Me (She's With Me, #2)
  • All Your Twisted Secrets
Alex Light lives in Toronto, Canada, with her dog, two cats, and an endless love for winter. With a BA in English Literature, she has the perfect excuse to read too many books when she isnt busy writing her own. She's been writing for three years, her journey beginning in the online communities of Wattpad and Episode Interactive. THE UPSIDE OF FALLING is her first published novel, hitting ...more