Start by marking “The Sorceress (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Sorceress (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #3)

The Sorceress

(The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel #3)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  75,584 ratings  ·  2,246 reviews
Book Three in the New York Times bestselling series.

Nicholas Flamel's heart almost broke as he watched his beloved Paris crumble before him. The city was destroyed by Dee and Machiavelli, but Flamel played his own role in the destruction. Sophie and Josh Newman show every sign of being the twins of prophecy, and Flamel had to protect them and the pages from the Dark Elders
Hardcover, First Edition, 502 pages
Published May 26th 2009 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about The Sorceress, please sign up.
Ricardo Walker Yes and No. Nicholas Flamel is a real person. Both novels improvise on the myth surrounding him. NF never actually appears in the HP novels does do a …moreYes and No. Nicholas Flamel is a real person. Both novels improvise on the myth surrounding him. NF never actually appears in the HP novels does do a turn in Rowlings Fantastic Beasts series set in the same world as HP but decades prior to the events of HP.

This Series and HP share the "historical" Nicholas Flamel between them but INDEPENDENT of one another. They both invent separate extra-historical magical powers based on myth and legend that grew after Flame's "death" when his and his wife Perenelle's "tombs" were discovered to be empty.
I have walked the romantic intersection of the 2 streets named after them but have not yet been to the home where they lived here in Paris, which has been preserved as one of the oldest original structures in Paris.
An HP fan who wants to learn more about the Philosopher's Stone and the myths of the Alchemist/Philosopher who made it will enjoy this series. The novels are all plot, never about the "writing" and remain very...juvenile. As long as you don't expect Wuthering Heights you may enjoy the fast paces race thru all of the legends, mythologies and magical characters and creatures you ever heard of...they all make their appearances.
(less)
Megan Conway No, it's urban fantasy with historical figures and ancient deities in the modern world

·  75,584 ratings  ·  2,246 reviews

Start your review of The Sorceress (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #3)
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Sorceress (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel #3), Michael Scott
The Sorceress: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel is a fantasy novel and the third installment in the six-book series The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel written by Michael Scott. It serves as the sequel to The Magician, and was released on 26 May 2009 in the US. The titular sorceress refers to Perenelle Flamel.
Flamel takes the twins to London, where he uses Francis to enlist Palamedes, the Saracen Kni
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Scott stays consistent with his storytelling. I love the inclusion of Shakespeare and Billy the Kid in this one. It was a fun read, but not too different than the rest. There's no big surprises anymore, only a fun storyline. I do have to say that Scott over uses the phrase "takes a deep breath." All his characters seem to be doing yoga. lol. I get it though and fault him little. We all have our crutches. I love all the places we visit as the reader and the battle scenes never disappoint. This is ...more
Ashley Marie
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-misc
Okay I know this has taken me forever, but this book really felt like a step up from the first two. It looks like they stick with the same narrator from here on out though, which will be nice. The thing I love most about these books is the interweaving of various historical figures-- if not for them I would say this was a straight rip-off of PJO or HP or what have you. Very entertaining.
JeanBookNerd
May 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
Anyone among you a fan of Shakespeare? Get ready for some entertaining reading as Scott raise the stakes with each installment. I have to say, he is the master of his genre and continues the thrilling journey through history’s myths and legends.
The Sorceress is an adventure in its own and it is definitely worth following. Michael Scott has created a perfect epic fantasy world filled with legendary characters.
In order to to properly understand the plot, I would certainly reccomend you read the se
Charles
Jul 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
After I finished the first book in the series (the Alchemyst) I decided that I should read the rest of the series before I gave a review. But I find my self finishing the third book in the series and really have to reconsider reading the last three. So I think I’ll take a break and write a review and decide later whether or not I’ll finish.

I did not like this book, in fact I did not like the two before it. The problem is that the idea or concept of the series is great and compelling. But there a
Ann
Sep 04, 2012 rated it liked it
This series continues to frustrate me. I'm enjoying the books enough to keep reading, but my poor husband is sick of hearing me rant about plot holes and poor writing.

Major spoilers!It frustrates me that information keeps being repeated over and over again. I know I'm reading the books with only a few days or week in between and they were originally written years apart and the reader had to be reminded. But not constantly, and we don't need reminders of things that happened previously in the sa
Mohammed Arabey
Apr 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Quarantine's Reads Gets..Epic..

And this series really gets more interesting and thrilling..

More Historical Characters appears as immortal in a kind of accurate way if you read about their real lives before..
Also more about the mythical characters.. Ancient Entities... And of course real Historical sites.
All of that mixing with the ongoing chase between the Immortal Nicolas Flamel and Doctor John Dee and a modern teenager twins who recently discovered that they are prophesied to be something wil
PurplyCookie
The roller coaster continues, but this time the dips are punctuated by glimpses of the darker history that predates the current story. A more interesting book than the previous two, smaller, more private battles, both within the characters and between the characters. The first two books were fun to read. This one is also fun, but is more deeply plotted.

We pick up where we left off: Dr. John Dee has torn Paris apart in his efforts to grab the immortal Nicholas Flamel and Sophie and Josh Newman,
dyanne
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: boring
Same problemos as the first two books... plotholes, weak characters, etc. etc.
2 stars for Palamedes, who is one of the two characters I don't want to hit really hard in the head for stupidity.
2 stars for William Shakespeare, who is the second character I don't want to hit really hard in the head for stupidity.
-2 stars because Josh is FIFTEEN and can't say irrevocably.

That is all.
Rubi
Great third book of the series. The best till now in my opinion. A lot of action, new and very interesting characters...

Review to come when I'll have a pc nearby.
সালমান হক
After reading the first two books, I had high expectations for The Sorceress, and yet again I am very glad to say I was not disappointed. As more characters are introduced, we see the originals ones growing. Again, the action is fast-paced, the storyline is interesting, and there are a lot of mythological references that keep me researching online and learning a lot about history and mythology. There are lots of questions and very few answers and the continuing plot twists without resolution mak ...more
Maree
Nov 24, 2012 rated it liked it
More of the same types of thoughts and complaints as with the previous book in this series. The plot, the action, the characters are great, but again with the telling rather than showing. It would be nice if everyone would stop just instinctively knowing everything. Some explanation of HOW they know so that I feel like I`m creating my own impressions rather than having them made for me would just be super.

That said, again, it´s a series with good humor despite its sometimes over dramatic nature.
Donna
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm definitely enjoying this series. It is so creative. Children need books that can encourage them to open the door wider into the reading world. I love that about this particular youth fiction series. It is different and unique.

This is the 3rd book in this youth fantasy fiction series. The second one is my favorite so far. I liked this one too, but it felt a little more explanatory. That is not necessarily a bad thing, especially when the world created in this book, is so different than our c
Kendall
Nov 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
When this comes out, I am SO reading it! I love this series!
Hadessephy
This is quickly becoming one of my favorite series! Great settings, cool historical and mythological characters and action packed adventures. Pick this one up if you havent!
Aaron
Jun 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
In this third novel in The Secrets of the Immortal Nichalas Flamel series (following The Alchemyst and The Magician), twins Josh and Sophie are still on the run as the forces of evil are hunting them down. Sophie's recently awakened aura and training with fire and stone along with Josh's new knowledge of warfare from Mars, they were barely able to escape the clutches of the magical immortal John Dee and his allies in the center of Paris at the end of the previous novel. Their ally Scatty has dis ...more
Matthew Largo
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Sorceress by Michael Scott is a really good book and probably my favorite continuation in the series. I still love the constant use of historical events and people in the series as well as the introduction to Palamedes, William Shakespeare, and Billy the Kid. Scott, in my opinion, did a good job in putting all the historical information together to make the book a lot more interesting. I really loved the introduction of Gilgamesh as well as him teaching the twins a new elemental magic. I rea ...more
Andy
Aug 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, 2017-read
A good installment, but the ending seemed a little lacking. As always Dee is an asshole. And the twins are still getting on my nerves with the whole "can we trust Flamel?" bullshit. I know you guys don't know them very well, but they've also saved your lives a couple times over, don't you think that makes them at least a little trustworthy? Plus the other side is the DARK ELDERS, do they sound like your friends!? Sophie isn't as bad, but her blind devotion to Josh also annoys me. I don't like Jo ...more
Jenny
Nov 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
2nd time--reread

I just love the larger-then-life characters to this series. Also its so action packed!
Caro
Oct 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this third book of The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series, Nicholas Flamel, Josh and Sophie head over to London after narrowly escaping the evil John Dee and Niccolo Machiavelli in Paris. Even though London belongs basically to the Dark Elders, it is the only place in Europe where there is a Master of the Water element. Josh and Sophie are now both Awakened and they need to be able to control this element.

The fact that Josh is finally Awakened makes him, in his mind, equal again t
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: prh
THESE BOOKS. I'm loving them. Each book is basically an immediate continuation of the previous one, and is very easy to read one right after the other. I am really enjoying reading them, which is allowing me to look past the writing which isn't the best. However, I have noticed that the writing has improved from the first two. Or, maybe I'm just getting used to it? Either way, I think these books are great and can't wait to read the next ones. Excited to see how the story ends.

Really 4.5 stars.
mina
Oct 19, 2018 rated it liked it
this book could have been half the size of what it was.. i love long books with good characters and an interesting storyline, but this one dragged on too long. for a lot of the book, almost nothing was happening to keep me interested.
Cherie
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think this one has been the best of the three books, so far. Much better plot and deeper insight to the characters, old and new.
Olly
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was ok

There is just nothing to this series anymore. The concept was so intriguing that I was super into it from the start, but considering that this could definitely be a three-book series, not a six-book series, and the fact that the most compelling characters are either stuck, complaining, dying, or just not getting enough flushed out page time, I'm calling it quits. I had such high hopes, and normally I'd feel pretty adament that I don't count a book as "finished" if I haven't actually finished it
Victor
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Sorceress, By Michael Scott, is the next book in ther series, The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, after The Magician. After evading another disaster from the evil Dr. Dee and an ancient creature. The twins start to learn elemental magic. While Josh is behind his sister in magic, he's found something even more deadly, but will he be able to control it?I recommend this to fantasy lovers.
Heidi
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was excellent. It had thrills,twists,and overall a great storyline. You never know what is coming next. This book uses other myths to create a world of fantasy.
Melissa
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a fast read. Cannot wait until I can pick up the next one!
Alyssa Nelson
This series continues to get exponentially better with each new installment. In this third book, Flamel, Josh, and Sophie are on the run in London–Dee’s home turf–so they need to be extra careful. They meet up with Gilgamesh to learn how to control water.

All I can say about this book is wow! I love how much focus is on Perenelle in this one. She’s easily my favorite character, so I enjoyed getting to learn more of her backstory and reading about her completely subverting all the horrible plans t
Ithlilian
Jan 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I enjoyed the first two books in this series immensely, but I did hope they would improve a bit, or at least change. Each book has the same basic premise. Flamel, the twins, and their followers are running from Dee and his affiliates. During the excruciatingly long chase scene the twins stop to learn magic from some crazy immortals. Perenelle is still trapped on Alcatraz, a plot string which I found boring and drawn out. Flamel is still keeping secrets from the twins, which is irritating. Josh i ...more
Elizabeth
Apr 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 52-in-2011
The Sorceress (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #3) (pp. 483)

The 3rd book of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel finally hits its stride. The tale of good versus evil between warring factions of ancient creatures and immortals on Earth gets less wordy and finds a better pace.

There’s so much going on, but the reader is finally starting to see all the character development of the first two books really pay off. The lines between motive and ethics blur. Relationship dynamics among friends ,al
Book Review: The Sorceress 1 3 Aug 23, 2016 10:13PM
If you could choose to master one Element what would it be and why? 10 26 Jun 16, 2014 05:16PM
which one excalibur or clarent 33 83 Jun 16, 2014 05:13PM

• The Mark of Athena (The Heroes of Olympus, #3)
  • The Rise of Nine (Lorien Legacies, #3)
  • Syren (Septimus Heap, #5)
  • Keys to the Demon Prison (Fablehaven, #5)
  • The Atlantis Complex (Artemis Fowl #7)
  • The Lost Colony (Artemis Fowl #5)
  • The Last Guardian (Artemis Fowl #8)
  • Out of Sight, Out of Time (Gallagher Girls, #5)
  • The Wizard Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #2)
  • Flyte (Septimus Heap, #2)
  • Found (Magic Thief, #3)
  • Queste (Septimus Heap, #4)
  • Physik (Septimus Heap, #3)
  • Magyk (Septimus Heap, #1)
  • Rise of the Evening Star (Fablehaven, #2)
  • Darke (Septimus Heap, #6)
  • The Kings of Clonmel (Ranger's Apprentice, #8)
  • Fyre (Septimus Heap, #7)
Irish-born Michael Scott began writing over thirty years ago, and is one of Ireland's most successful and prolific authors, with over one hundred titles to his credit, spanning a
variety of genres, including Fantasy, Science Fiction and Folklore.

He writes for both adults and young adults and is published in thirty-seven countries, in over twenty languages.

Praised for his “unparalleled contribution

The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel (6 books)
  • The Alchemyst (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #1)
  • The Magician (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #2)
  • The Necromancer  (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #4)
  • The Warlock (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #5)
  • The Enchantress (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #6)

News & Interviews

“I like places like this," he announced.

I like old places too," Josh said, "but what's to like about a place like this?"

The king spread his arms wide. "What do you see?"

Josh made a face. "Junk. Rusted tractor, broken plow, old bike."

Ahh...but I see a tractor that was once used to till these fields. I see the plow it once pulled. I see a bicycle carefully placed out of harm's way under a table."

Josh slowly turned again, looking at the items once more.

And i see these things and I wonder at the life of the person who carefully stored the precious tractor and plow in the barn out of the weather, and placed their bike under a homemade table."

Why do you wonder?" Josh asked. "Why is it even important?"

Because someone has to remember," Gilgamesh snapped, suddenly irritated. "Some one has to remember the human who rode the bike and drove the tractor, the person who tilled the fields, who was born and lived and died, who loved and laughed and cried, the person who shivered in the cold and sweated in the sun." He walked around the barn again, touching each item, until his palm were red with rust." It is only when no one remembers, that you are truely lost. That is the true death.”
135 likes
“I spend all my time trying to keep thoughts away and ignore them....But here you are, trying to remember your own life, writing your thoughts down so that you don't forget. I suddenly realized what it would be like not to know, not to remember.” 130 likes