Start by marking “One by One” as Want to Read:
One by One

One by One

The Easton family has just moved into their new fixer-upper, a beautiful old house that they bought at a steal, and Alice, the youngest of the family, is excited to explore the strange, new place. Her excitement turns to growing dread as she discovers a picture hidden under the old wallpaper, a child’s drawing of a family just like hers.

Soon after, members of the family b
Published 2019

To ask other readers questions about One by One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One by One

Lisa
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
This story is my groove! I was completely enraptured with this book. I smoked less, and didn't even log onto Goodreads! When I first started this book I thought, huh, I know this house! My squat, hairy man and I once looked at a house like this. I wanted to buy, he thought I was nuts. There was even the bedroom with windows that looked out into a laundry room. Of course I was over the moon! Turns out, it was on the flood plains! This story was tense as heck for me. I do love that! I'm giving no ...more
megs_bookrack
Yeah, I know it is my self-proclaimed 'Sci-Fi September' but I need to pick this one up!

Breaking my own damn rules but Haunted House stories are my jam. Thank you to the publisher, Flame Tree Press, for providing me with copy!!

Dannii Elle
The four members of the Easton family have varied responses to their new sprawling manor home. Fallen into disrepair and seemingly following the plans of a madman architect, it is markedly different from their previous terraced and uniform abode. It also seems to hold many secrets in its shadowed alcoves and youngest member Alice isn't sure they should be uncovering them.

This begun like many haunted house horrors of its like, but that was exactly what I was anticipating and never seem able to ge
Kimberly
ONE BY ONE is the second novel I have read from author D.W. Gillespie (both from Flame Tree Press). While the first had a good storyline, this second novel felt much "tighter" in execution. The pacing was more steady, and my interest for the storyline never waned.

A family--Frank & Debra, the parents, and their two children, Alice (10) and Dean (15)--are forced to relocate from their home in the "city" to one in the country. A house that was "a STEAL" according to Frank.

". . . The woods . .
Bandit
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not only am I the first to review this, it wasn’t even on GR site, I also had to create a listing for it. And I’m glad to do it, because this book is awesome and should be read, enjoyed and loved. I read Toy Thief, Gillespie’s previous book published by Flame Tree Press. It was the first book I’ve read by the author and by the publishers and it put both of them very prominently on my radar. SO much so that when I saw this book come up on Netgalley, I was sold immediately, no checking page count, ...more
Rod | rodsreads
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I want to thank D.W. Gillespie, Flame Tree Press, and NetGalley for the advance copy.

Let me start by saying that this was my first time reading D.W. Gillespie.

You know the thrill that comes with reading an author that is new to you:

Will I like the writing style?
Will I DNF it?
Will the author become a new favorite?

Well, I can certainly tell you that I loved Gillespie's writing. And I'm looking forward to reading more of his works.

Now let's get down to business.

Here's the Synopsys:

"The Easton
Shalini
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an unexpected read. The story gripped me from the blurb itself. It was a slow burn horror mystery where the author D. W. Gillespie had set up a great aura of horror and creepiness. Frank, Debra, Dean and Alice moved into a new house which was the beginning of their end. Soon family members started disappearing and it was left to the youngest daughter Alice to get to the truth. A diary found led her slowly and surely down a path of investigation.

Wow. I enjoyed the entire feel of the book
Don Gillette
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book absolutely blew me away.
If you could take Scout, from To Kill A Mockingbird, put her in a perfect family, move that family into a strange, older home you just know has got to be haunted, and watch the family unravel into dysfunction slowly but surely then you'd have only part of what makes One by One a great tale.
Almost anything I say about this book will be a spoiler because the characters are so vivid and the setting so perfect that it's honestly all I can do to keep myself from gush
Theresa Braun
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you like haunted house stories, consider adding this one to your TBR pile. The description of the house is extremely atmospheric, and you’ll feel like you’ve moved in along with the characters. Some of the dialogue in the beginning is not as strong as in the rest of the book, but as the story progresses, the family dynamic is realistic. Furthermore, the dramatic intrigue and how they all change after moving into the house is well-written. We see how they all cope with the new environment, and ...more
James Bryant
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
One by one I would give 3.5 stars rounded to 4. The book engaged me and kept me guessing to the last several chapters which was refreshing.

The book is a mystery, a slightly scary novel about a family that finds itself snowed in in a mysterious, slightly run down house. Eventually, the members of the family start to disappear, one by one, until only the ten year old daughter remains. The book is also about the transformation of a meek little girl, a daydreamer, into a child with a voice who would
Lesley Hillman
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was hooked from the opening with this book, a very intricately woven family horror tale, narrated by the wise beyond her years Alice. At just 10 years old she is left to uncover the truth behind a sinister wall painting and find out just what is happening to her family.

The story begins with the family arriving at their new house, an absolute “steal” according to Frank, Alice’s father. Frank is prone to whimsical schemes and a bit of a dreamer, so when he buys this house it’s not surprising tha
Valerie
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What drew me into this story happened in the first few chapters! The author’s ability to describe the characters perceptions, feelings and emotions that they have of the house make you feel you are there beside them. I felt their confusion when things happened that they didn’t understand, their horror when they realize who and what is going on, and the terror when they learn that the house holds much more than they bargained for!

This is the first book by Gillespie I have read although I have The
Gemima
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of One by One from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book was not what I expected exactly. This story was so much more than what I thought it would be.
I was hooked from the first page. Great story, very real and amazing characters.
I loved how deep Alice's feelings were. It definitely shows just how much thought and heart the author put into this book and these characters.
At one point I thought I knew what was happening and how the story was going to end, but
D.K. Hundt
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
ONE BY ONE was a fun read with a slow build but a satisfying ending, with or without the Epilogue. Gillespie does a great job keeping you guessing throughout, with a conclusion I didn’t predict.

Thank you to Flame Tree Press and #NetGalley for providing me with an advanced copy for review.
Jen
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-challenge
If you like stories with an edge, with a creepy house and a dark history, then this may well be the book for you. This is the story of Alice and her family who are planning to start a new chapter in their lives as they move into a new home. Her father, Frank, is excited, her mother, Debra, and brother, Dean, much less so. For Alice, there is just something about the house, something that she can't quite put her finger on that both thrills her and fills her a sense of fear. And, as the story prog ...more
thebookgeordie
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Before I even get into the review about this book, it needs to be made into a film. Not in 10 years time like RIGHT NOW! I can guarantee you it will sell out cinema auditoriums.

This book is one of the creepiest and eeriest books I have had the pleasure to get my hands on. I literally had chills running down my spine at some of the chapters. The atmosphere created throughout the book is very creepy, suspenseful and just down right horrific.

The book is about a family who move in to a “typical haun
Rhonda Stefani
Aug 15, 2019 rated it liked it
3 & 1/2🌟

My thanks to NetGalley & Flame Tree Press for a copy of this book for review.
One by One is the second book by D.W. Gillespie that I've read and much like The Toy Thief is almost a coming of age horror story. 10 year old Alice, her teen brother Dean, her Mom and Dad move into a creepy looking and feeling house her father finds as part of his plan for a new beginning after losing his job. On the very first day Alice finds a hand painted picture on one of the walls of a family alm
Michael Knipp
Sep 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: written-reviews, 2019
One by One is the story of a family trying to maintain itself in the context of a new and mysterious house. Told from the perspective of the 10 year old daughter, Alice, you experience the family dynamic and the curiosity of their new home through her eyes and interpretations. The misunderstandings, musings, and imagination of a young child tint every event of the story which colors the entire narrative with additional clarity or muddiness as Alice agonizes over her familial relationships and tr ...more
Nia Ireland
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes all you need is a spine chilling haunted house mystery and this book certainly delivered – Alice and her family move to a new house and soon family members start disappearing one by one.

I loved the author’s writing style; it was very descriptive and completely set the scene without ruining the build up of tension. Things gradually got creepier and creepier until we’re hit with an unexpected and nasty conclusion.

This story shares a lot of vibes with the Shining: a family trapped in cl
Elaine's Reviews
Aug 20, 2019 rated it liked it
The story of a family moving into their new home, which is a very old property, and with intentions to do it up. The youngest, 10 year old Alice, is a bit of a dreamer and hears various different voices in her head. When a crudely drawn picture is discovered behind some wallpaper of a family similar to theirs, only depicting a dog instead of a cat as the family pet, the family wonder how it got there. Eerie goings on ensue as an X appears over the dog in the picture, and subsequently Alice's cat ...more
SpareTheBS
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you so much Netgalley, Flame Tree Press and D.W. Gillespie for allowing me to read this in exchange of an honest review.

WOW!! This has to be the most atmospheric book I've ever read. The descriptions of the house were so real and spooky I felt my heart race every time someone walked down the darkened halls or walked up the rickety staircase. When the snow storm came in, I found myself reaching for my favorite throw blanket and cuddling up...not sure for warmth or security!

Frank, Debra, De
April A.  Taylor
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
One by One begins like thousands of other stories about houses that are haunted by the past, but it certainly doesn’t end like most of them.

There are things within the plot that bring to mind The Amityville Horror and numerous other well-known tales, but the author managed to keep this from being a liability. In fact, the book is quite the page-turner and definitely has a few tricks up its sleeve you won’t see coming.

Although nothing is ever expressly spelled out, there is a very disturbing as
Sejla Kazaferovic
Jul 02, 2019 rated it liked it
So it's been a while since I posted a review. Not intentional, I promise. My TBR list for this month was long and I got a little distracted reading and slacked off on writing my reviews. Nonetheless, it's time to play catch up.
Let's talk horror novels. How many of you like reading them? I'm actually a little selective. It's difficult to find engaging horror novels with a good plot. I want to jump out of my skin. I want my blood to run cold. I want to fear walking into a dark room.
This book, in
Irene
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Frank Easton is thrilled to leave his ordinary house and move his family into a huge fixer upper that he got on the cheap. He seems to be the only one who is excited. His wife Debra is used to his butterfly chasing as she calls it. Frank is always ready to follow one whim after another but this latest dream is putting more than the usual strain on their marriage. Their son Dean would rather be in their old neighborhood, and daughter Alice tries to see it as an adventure but it isn't long before ...more
Karlen
*Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher who provided an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.*

Book: Thank you for choosing One by One, may I take your order?
Me: Yes, hello, I'd like one adult male author awkwardly writing from the perspective of a ten-year-old girl, and a large side of clichés, please.
Book: Would you like to add on a completely incomprehensible description of the layout of the house the story is set in, for just a few brain cells more?
Me: Yes, that sounds lovely. Can
Jeff French
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
One By One was great. It’s not an original idea for a story, but the writing is strong, the characters are fully realized and the pacing is excellent. The setting helps create the spooky, mysterious atmosphere that Gillespie is able to maintain throughout the novel. I was expecting the novel to go in a certain direction. Actually, the author does a very good job of leading the reader to that conclusion. When I found out what was really happening, I loved it. In hindsight, there were plenty of cl ...more
Sharon
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and the author, for an ARC of this book, in exchange for an honest review.
This is the 1st book that I have read by D. W. Gillespie and I loved it.
It was a very well written, creepy and tense horror/thriller.
The author did a nice job of leading this reader one way, making me think that this was a simple haunted house/ghost story only to then knock me off my feet with an unexpected twist and turn his book it into a psychological/suspenseful thriller.
I will def
cola_bear
Jun 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, thriller
3.5 Stars

The Good: I enjoyed the mystery, and the characters were intriguing. The setting and atmosphere were well written and drew a nice, creepy picture that kept me reading.

The Bad: the pace was too slow in a several places and in those times I would find myself struggling to read through it. But other than that, I don't have much to complain about :)

Overall: I did like this book, but the slowness did not work in its favor.

I would recommend this book to those who enjoy horror and a nice myst
Trina
Jun 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley, kindle
I received this arc from Netgalley.

Two and a half stars. This was just a run of the mill read. I thought that it was supposed to be a scary book but it missed the mark. I can't say that I would have any desire to read it again.
Yolanda Sfetsos
Sep 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
Review will be posted at Kendall Reviews soon...
A long time fan of all things dark and spooky, D.W. Gillespie began writing monstrous stories while still in grade school. At one point, his mother asked the doctor if there was anything she should be concerned about, and he assured her that some kids just like stories about decapitations.

He's been writing on and off for over a decade, quietly building a body of work that includes horror and dark