Start by marking “To Clear Away the Shadows (Lt. Leary, #13)” as Want to Read:
To Clear Away the Shadows (Lt. Leary, #13)

To Clear Away the Shadows

(Lt. Leary / RCN #13)

NEW ENTRY IN DAVID DRAKE'S LANDMARK RCN SERIES

ADVENTURES BEYOND THE EDGE OF THE KNOWN UNIVERSE

The truce between Cinnabar and the Alliance is holding, and the Republic of Cinnabar Navy is able to explore regions of the galaxy without the explorers being swept up in great power conflict.

The Far Traveller is probing sponge space to open routes for Cinnabar traders—and f
Published June 4th 2019 by Baen Books (first published 2019)

To ask other readers questions about To Clear Away the Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Clear Away the Shadows

Start your review of To Clear Away the Shadows (Lt. Leary, #13)
Dan
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A new series in the RCN, Daniel Leary universe. 3.5 stars.
Tony Hisgett
Jun 22, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Unfortunately it seems this is the end of Lt Leary books, although this is sold as part of the series, it isn’t! If the author was being honest he should have labelled it under a different series title.

What made these books stand out wasn’t the stories, which although OK were nothing special. It was the relationship and contrast between the two main characters, Daniel Leary and Adele Mundy that made them really interesting. Without them this was a very ordinary story.

Unde
Michael
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I Miss Leary and Mundy badly!

With out Daniel Leary and Adele Mundy, it is just a run of the mill space opera. Very interesting read. But I want more Leary And Mundy!
James
Aug 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, sf
Scientific exploration in the 19th centuryspace, nobles and colonials included. A fun read with a touch of adventure and a slight bit on the evils of racism.

Sandy Shin
scattered episodes with no clear central theme. I prefer the action-filled stories of Lt Leary
William Bentrim
To Clear Away the Shadows by David Drake
This is another book in the RCN series. Cinnabar and the Alliance are currently not fighting. A recommissioned cruiser, the Far Traveller is tasked with surveying.
This seemed like more of a collection of short stories than a novel. There was little continuity to events as they happened. However, the premise of a star ship visiting different environments does lead to a lack of continuity. The search for the Archaic Spacefarers is the primary theme fo
Linda
In the RCN universe of Lt. Leary (read from an Edelweiss e-ARC), this new science fiction book by David Drake follows totally new characters, Lord Harry Harper, an upper class biologist and his new friend Lt. Rick Grenville. Peace has come to the Republic of Cinnabar and regular RCN officers are looking for work. When the Far Traveler is sent out on a scientific mission Rick Grenville is happy for the work. Harry Harper is happy to tapped to assist Dr. Margot Veil. Dr. Veil wants Harry for his ...more
Shane
Jun 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A hodge-podge of short stories loosely tied together by common characters. The larger story arc is a coming of age style story with a bit of quest for the ancient astronauts. The first person often alternated between two differing characters which just jumbled things more. I did like how it created a sort of "he said, he said" perspective on the first meeting but it quickly grew old. I also didn't care for the constant usage of "sponge space". I don't recall exactly what Drake named the alternat ...more
Henry Lazarus
Republic of Cinnabar exploration vessel The Far Traveler is exploring badly charted human star systems. Dr. Veil, Director of Science on board the ship, has requested newly graduated Harry Hopper from an aristocratic family on Cinnabar in the hopes that his noble rank would open doors to secrets museums of the local aristocrats. On this voyage To Clear Away the Shadows (hard from Baen) Lord Harry makes friends with Lieutenant Rick Grenville. Each of them helping the other out of scrapes at the s ...more
MAB  LongBeach
The Cinnabar/RCN series is getting away from Daniel Leary and Adele Mundy; they don't appear at all in this installment.

Now that the war with the Alliance is ended, Cinnabar is sending out exploration and science vessals. Lieutenant Lord Harry Harper is a newly qualified biologist who has joined the Far Traveller as aide to its resident scientist. Lt Rafe Grenville befriends him and helps him find his place aboard ship. They have a variety of adventures, including hostile wildlife, c
Jerry Merica-jones
Not sure why this book was included in the series. None of the main characters in any of the other of the books in the series figured in the story of this book. Would not recommend this book even though I am a big fan of the rest of the series. As I read the other reviews I can’t figure out why the readers gave several stars to this book. While I have given all the other books in the series 4 or 5 stars, besides mentioning the RCN this novel has none of the characters or the action of the first ...more
Rich Van Ollefen
Aug 09, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
First, this is not a Daniel Leary book. Second, the first 60% of the book is so dull I could barely bring myself to read it. Each chapter is a visit to a planet, each covered with minimal detail. Not a lot of character development either. I was getting pretty tired of the whole 18th century British navy in space concept before this, now I am completely done with it. Do yourself a favor and skip this one.
Robert Brown
Oct 02, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Sam
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another story in a great series! This entry introduced RCN Officers Rick and Harry, both very likable characters on a succession of entertaining adventures (albiet far lighter and less dire than those of Leary and Mundy). The best new character introduced was Technician Joss and I would love to see a novel based on her back story, giving readers an inside look at life in the Alliance and exploring her moral code of "us" (her buddies) vs "them".
Joe
This was a change from all the previous books, as this book has an entirely new cast of characters. None of the familiar people like Daniel, Adele or Tovera. Also this is different because parts of the book have one character in first person telling the tale, whereas all the other books are in third person.

A good story, although I'm not sure where it goes from here, as the end seemed to take things away from the RCN...
Seantheaussie
NOT WORTH THE MONEY!

DNF at 43% due to boredom. The Leary and Mundy series (as I call it) is my second favourite SF series after Vorkosigan, and it is an insult to such a great series that this blah book is now a part of it. Though Hell Should Bar the Way, without our beloved main characters in the lead, was still better than good, 4.25 stars compared to 5 for the rest of the books. To Clear Away the Shadows is a huge step down.
John J Stover
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A New Take on the RCN

As a long time fan of the books about the Royal Cinnabar Navy I was a bit surprised that it was a different set of characters. After a few pages I was well stuck into it and enjoyed it to the very end. Look forward to the next installment but also hope to soon have a new Daniel O'Leary to savor as well.
Katherine A Cuadros
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A VGood Read! :-)

This book is a fitting volume of the RCN series by D Drake even if it does not follow the indomitable Leary/Mundy pair. It is another quick read by an entertaining author. Strongly recommend both the series (I have enjoyed them all!) & this particular novel, too.
Margaret
Wow! What a terrific read!

Peace has come to the RCN. What better time to take a voyage of discovery - to chart out new routes, learn more about the planets along the way, etc.

I especially liked that both Harry and Rick were strong protagonists. And I liked the Far Traveler’s crew, particularly Technician Joss.

Highly recommended for all RCN fans and fans of well-told stories!
Benjanim Lockett
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent!

Another action packed yet emotion filled work by drake. With his use of history to ground his story lines his work flows well for the reader.
The characters develop well and without too much predictably.
Worth the purchase price
Ray Craine
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A VERY good read

This is a really well written, character driven series of what could have been, short stories. I'm sorry that these characters can't continue their adventures together with how the book ended
Highly recommended.
Travis
This is the first RCN book I've seen where Monty and Daniel weren't the central characters. Still haven't figured out if I like that or not, but the story is a good one anyway. Most RCN fans shouldn't be disappointed by this one.
William Paley
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A new outing in an old scenario, Drake works in his previously plotted region of space but uses a different and engaging protagonist. As were the other books set in the RCN Universe, this is worth reading.
Ron Nurmi
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David Drake continues to entertain with this book of The Republic of Cinnabar Navy Series with lots of action and good stories to be found.
Diana
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Usually I like his books, but this one seemed disjointed, partly due to switching narrators seemingly at random.
New characters were likeable but there really wasn’t much of a plot.
Phyllis Griffiths
Great fun in the RCN universe. The characters may be new but who knows what adventures await them better than David Drake?
Les Tuck
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read, but I was looking forward to seeing my friends Daniel, Adele and the rest of the Sissies. I hope to see them again soon.
Jeff
Sep 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military-sci-fi
Fun little naturalist romp with a civilization that has a bad complex
Steve Scott
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome

Another great entry in the RCN storyline with new characters. Drake is always continues to to entertain All of his readers
Sidney
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good story; but no Leary or Mundy
David Drake is an American author of science fiction and fantasy literature. A Vietnam War veteran who has worked as a lawyer, he is now one of the major authors of the military science fiction genre.

Lt. Leary / RCN (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • With the Lightnings (Lt. Leary, #1)
  • Lt. Leary, Commanding (Lt. Leary, #2)
  • The Far Side of the Stars (Lt. Leary, #3)
  • The Way to Glory (Lt. Leary, #4)
  • Some Golden Harbor (Lt. Leary, #5)
  • When the Tide Rises (Lt. Leary, #6)
  • In the Stormy Red Sky (Lt. Leary, #7)
  • What Distant Deeps (Lt. Leary, #8)
  • The Road of Danger (Lt. Leary, #9)
  • The Sea Without a Shore (Lt. Leary, #10)