Start by marking “The Sun Down Motel” as Want to Read:
The Sun Down Motel

The Sun Down Motel

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  6,841 ratings  ·  1,625 reviews
The secrets lurking in a rundown roadside motel ensnare a young woman, just as they did her aunt thirty-five years before, in this new atmospheric suspense novel from the national bestselling and award-winning author of The Broken Girls.

Published February 18th 2020 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about The Sun Down Motel, please sign up.
Pamela It is available through "Book of the Month". That's how I got it. Plus there are people who get the book early to review it.
Elizabeth Yes, it is. It also has the elements of paranormal activities but if you ever read any books by Simone St.James, you’d know that it’s her style to mix…moreYes, it is. It also has the elements of paranormal activities but if you ever read any books by Simone St.James, you’d know that it’s her style to mix murder mystery with the supernatural. (less)

·  6,841 ratings  ·  1,625 reviews

Start your review of The Sun Down Motel
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Twilight zone’s intro music blasting out in my mind: nananana!!!! I’m in the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition and I’m at the dimension of imagination….Nanana!!!

I cannot sleep! I cannot move! I cannot breathe! When I was younger so much younger than today I never needed anybody’s help in anyway but even all ghost members of Beatles cannot save me! I’m numb, terrified! I’m speechless! I’m about to do something in my pants but I don’t! I barely hold myself!
Miranda Reads
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Miranda by: Tucker
description

"Sun Down Motel, can I help you?"
Nothing. Just the faint sound of breathing.
There's a terrible secret hidden within the walls of the run down motel just outside of Fell, New York.

Thirty-five years ago, Viv Delaney began experiencing...disturbances during the night shift at the Sun Down Motel.

Ones that had her questioning everything she's ever known and reality itself.
What if everything I've seen, everything I think, is true?
And just like that...she disappeared.
She felt like crying.
Chelsea Humphrey
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Chelsea by: Berkley Publishing Group
Shelves: from-publisher
The night it all ended, Vivian was alone... She felt like crying. She felt like screaming. She felt sick.
"I don't want to go in there. But I will. Because I always do."

Obviously flashy psychological thrillers are still trendy, but have you ever picked up a mystery that is simply well-written, to the point where you can just bask in that book's quiet glory and subtle power? That's precisely how I felt regarding The Sun Down Motel. It's receiving copious amounts of hype, and rightly so, due to
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Creepy Spooky Stars

Upstate NY, 1982. Every small town like Fell, New York, has a place like the Sun Down Motel. Some customers are from out of town, passing through on their way to someplace better. Some are locals, trying to hide their secrets. Viv Delaney works as the night clerk to pay for her move to New York City. But something isn't right at the Sun Down, and before long she's determined to uncover all of the secrets hidden…

I loved this book. I did love The Broken Girls by this
Meredith
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
Dark, Ghostly, & So Good!

Something strange is going on at The Sun Down Motel.

In 1982, 20-year-old Vivian Delaney stumbles upon a job opening as the night shift clerk at The Sun Down Motel, located in eerie Fell, New York. During her shifts, Vivian begins to notice some inexplicable occurrences at the rundown motel: doors randomly opening and closing, strange phone calls, the smell of cigarette smoke when no one is present. It seems that the Sun Down is haunted. Making things even more
Chaima ✨ شيماء
I’m due to wake up in 5 minutes, but I stayed up all night reading this book, and since I consumed enough caffeine to vibrate my molecules at a frequency that could shatter glass, it’ll certainly be an interesting day at college!

Anyway, it was worth it; I really liked this book. Full review to come.
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, botm
OMG I am speechless! Well not really..but can I give this book 10 stars??!!! Adding this to my list of all time favorite thrillers. Yes, it was that good. So many good things about this book, where do I even start?

I think what made this book so special was the feelings it gave me. The creepy, chills down my spine- feelings I had the entire book! I am not sure how an author can manage to spin such an atmospheric feel with words that you are entirely caught up in the whole vibe. How is this really
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
***NOW AVAILABLE***

My first introduction to Simone St. James was reading her previous novel The Broken Girls, it was one of my top 10 books last year. I went into this with a crazy amount of anticipation and hoping been another 5* read.

The novel revolves around a young woman, Carly, searching for the answer for why her long dead aunt Vivian disappeared. The family never felt any kind of closure because her body was never found. She just vanished one night during her late night shift working at
Debra
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
"I ain't afraid of no Ghost"

I don't know why upon finishing this book, I could not get Ray Parker Jr.'s theme song for Ghostbusters out of my head. "If there is something weird and it don't look good..." Thank you Simon St. James for that earworm and of course, for writing such an engrossing, creepy, haunting and riveting book.

The Sun Down Motel - an old Motel with secrets, ghosts and a dark tale to tell. Some get a room to sell drugs, some to drink themselves into oblivion, some to have a
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
4.5 stars!

A dark, engrossing, chilling, gothic, suspenseful, atmospheric, mysterious thriller! Loved it!!!

After her mother’s death, Carly moves to the small town of Fell, to investigate the disappearance of her mothers sister, Vivian. Decades earlier, Carly’s aunt Vivian took a job as the night clerk at the remote Sun Down Motel. Unexplained strange things happen at this motel including the disappearance of Vivian from her shift one night. Police investigation provides no answers as to what
Jayme
You know those rundown , L-shaped motels that you pass on road trips, despite the fact that you are so bone tired, that you are not sure that you could drive another mile...

The ones with the buzzing signs, that blink, Vacancy! Cable TV!

The REALLY CREEPY ones?

Welcome to the Sun Down Motel!

Located in Fell, a small town in upstate, NY- A town too small to have this many DEAD GIRLS.

Viv Delaney was just passing through in 1982. Running out of money before she could reach New York City, with dreams
Kaceey
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thing that go bump in the night!

First things first - this was one of the most frightening books I’ve read in a very long time. I know, I can hear everyone’s snickers out there! But I just can’t handle horror. Paranormal scares the bejeebeezes out of me! And this book provided that in spades. Yet, I couldn’t put it down!

Told in two timelines.
1982: Viv left home at a young age to become the next shining star in New York. The problem was she never made it as far as the Big Apple. Instead, she
Michelle
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss-arc-s
Can well all just take a moment and appreciate the perfection that is this cover???

So, so stunning.

Now let me tell you why you all need to go out and grab a copy of this! Not only is Simone St. James an incredibly talented writer but she likes to get her spooky on and I'm a spooky kind of gal. My only regret is that I should have waited until closer to Halloween to sink my teeth into this one but patience is not a virtue of mine and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Like in her previous book (the
Norma * Traveling Sister and proud Grandma!!!
Spooky, spine-tingling suspense, and creepy!

THE SUN DOWN MOTEL by SIMONE ST. JAMES is an engrossing, dark, gripping, chilling, and fabulous gothic mystery/thriller that I was immediately drawn into. I was totally immersed in this tale and completely devoured the supernatural aspects in this story. The story was so darn entertaining with that creepy and eerie haunted motel setting that I found this to be absolutely irresistible and un-put-down-able!!!!

SIMONE ST. JAMES delivers quite the
BernLuvsBooks (Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas)
A stunning cover, an unsolved mystery and a motel harboring both secrets and ghosts = another winning read by Simone St. James!

I absolutely devoured this book and with good reason. Once you start reading, you just can't stop! It's such a page turner!!! Simone St. James has captured all those creepy thoughts we all have about those roadside, seedy looking motels and turned things ALL the way up. Talk about a place you want to run far away from!

The story is told via 2 POVs. The past - it's 1982
Holly  B
This old, seedy roadside motel setting had me running to grab this one!

This creepy, haunted motel has a past that it won't let go... slamming doors, traveling salesmen, and many unanswered questions.

I loved the atmospheric setting and couldn't help but think of the Bates Motel. The same type of place you wouldn't necessarily want to check into! I was also picturing the Scooby Doo van about to roll up at any moment to help this girl Carly out.

The two timelines meshed together to solve a 35 year
Brenda -Traveling Sister
Boo Hah! Hot spooktacular Diggity dang that was one fa-boo-lous scary good read that had me shaking my boo-ty to the creepy good vibe to this story. (I know how many puns can I get in one sentence) Hehee! It is one not to be missed!

The Sun Down Motel is an exciting, gripping, entertaining supernatural thriller, with one of the best characters here with the setting that I have read. The rundown motel takes on a life of its own and had me wanting to pull the covers over my eyes while reading it.
Susanne  Strong
5 Stars

“The Sun Down Motel” is Some Kind of Creeptastic!

Fell, New York.

Summer 1982: When Vivian Delaney arrives at The Sun Down Motel in Fell, New York, in the Summer of 1982, she is offered a job as the Night Clerk. Little does she know the place is haunted. The pungent smell of cigarette smoke. Locked hotel room doors swinging open and shut at odd hours. A woman in a floral dress appearing in the middle of the night. A young boy roaming round.

When Vivian Delaney goes missing one night
marilyn
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Available February 18, 2020

As crazy as it sounds for two young women, in different times, to work at a motel that they know is haunted, I have friends who would jump at a chance to do so. Those friends are both true crime buffs and also interested in the paranormal. I have similar interests but will go only so far as to read about such things, whereas the two main characters in this book dove right into the heart of the crime and ghost mysteries.

The town of Fell, NY is a place stuck in the
preoccupiedbybooks
4.5 stars!

A creepy, chilling and intense tale about the unsolved disappearance of a girl from a spooky motel, and her niece who tried to solve the mystery.

1982, Vivian Delaney was working as a night clerk at the Sun Down Motel in Fell, NY, where something wasn't quite right. She disappeared into thin air, leaving an unsolved mystery...
2017, Vivian's niece Carly arrives in Fell looking for answers. But as Carly gets the same job working the night shift that her aunt worked, she finds herself
Larry H
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

If you like creepy, crazy, and twisty, Simone St. James' newest book, The Sun Down Motel is one for you!

In 1982, Viv wants to escape her oppressive home life and move to New York City, but instead she winds up in the tiny upstate town of Fell. She takes a job as the night desk clerk at the Sun Down Motel, which despite having been open for only a few years, has definitely seen better days.

It’s not long before some creepy things start happening at the motel. Viv also learns that a
megs_bookrack
Aug 18, 2019 marked it as to-read
Things I love:

1. Simone St. James.
2. This cover.
3. The fact that this is coming out in just a few months.

Give it to me!!!

...and just like that, thank you so much for my ARC, Berkley!

You are too good to me and I love it!!!!

Kelly (and the Book Boar)
NOT EVERY BOOK DESERVES A FLOAT, BUT THIS ONE DOES. IT'S PUB DAY - GO GET YOU SOME

Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“This place is dark.”

“Some of us like the dark. It’s what we know.”

Me immediately prior to reading this book . . . .

If you follow my reviews, you know I’ve been kind of in a book slump – especially when it comes to wrongreading giant hits that everyone else all over the intertubes have been loving. I attempted to lower my expectations before starting
Tammy
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m not typically a fan of ghost stories or stories involving the supernatural but St. James gets me every time. Once again, I was reading at night while home alone and nearly jumped out of my skin each time my phone pinged with an incoming text. A dual timeline moves between 1982 and 2017 and tells the story of a missing Aunt whose niece is determined to find out what happened. Throw in murdered girls and a sleazy motel that attracts denizens from the seedy side of life not to mention ...more
Tucker
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Tucker by: Miranda Reads

Many thanks to Danielle at Berkley Publishing Group for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review
I’ve lived in this town all my life. Gone is gone.

I have to admit… this book was much scarier than I expected it to be. I went in expecting a classic mystery/thriller but this ended up being a lot more than that.

So, what’s this book about?
JanB
While I loved that the author dedicated the book to Murderinos (a term coined for fans of the podcast My Favorite Murder), and the protagonist is a fan of true crime, the book was still not for me.

I think this would work well for those readers looking for a campy B movie type thriller. You know, the kind where you totally suspend disbelief and spend the entire movie yelling at the amateur sleuth MC for doing stupid things. But you love it anyway.
And you can accept ghosts. A lot of ghosts. That
Berit☀️✨
HOT DAMN! This was SO GOOD!

Creepy, chilling, atmospheric, brilliant. Bravo Simone St. James! This book will make you believe in ghosts. Lights turning on and off, doors opening and closing, the smell of cigarette smoke in the air, a hint of perfume, a woman in a floral dress telling you to “run“. After the death of her mother Carly heads to upstate New York with the intention of solving a family mystery. In 1982 Carly‘s aunt Vivian disappeared from the town of Fell, New York never to be seen
Gabby
This book should’ve been right up my alley - I loved The Broken Girls and I typically LOVE spooky thrillers that have paranormal vibes, but it took me days to finish this book which usually doesn’t happen for thrillers and I just didn’t care about these characters.

I felt like a lot of the story was really repetitive because we follow Viv in the 1980’s and then her niece Carly in 2017, and it was kind of hard to tell their chapters apart. I wasn’t a huge fan of the writing style because
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shelby *trains flying monkeys* by: Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Shelves: netgalley, read-2020
1982: Viv has left home to go to New York but ends up instead in small Fell, New York. She is low on money so she takes a job working the night shift at a motel. That motel is not a normal motel.

2017: Carly has always wondered what happened to her aunt Viv who disappeared from the hotel she worked nights at. She goes to Fell and gets the same job that her aunt held.

This story is told in two different eras but Fell is sorta stuck in a time rut and it's almost like Carly is re-living her aunt
Book of the Month
Why I love it
by Siobhan Jones

I try not to make grandiose predictions, but if The Sun Down Motel is any indication of the quality of thrillers we can look forward to in 2020, then we are on the cusp of a very, very good year for reading. Simone St. James has crafted a winning recipe: start with a nod to the Stephen King small-town setting, add a pinch of domestic suspense, throw in a dash of amateur sleuthing, and stir until the spirits slither out.

Carly is a young woman on the hunt for her aunt,
Play Book Tag: The Sun Down Motel - St. James - 4 stars 1 13 Jan 31, 2020 09:01PM
Simone St. James is the award-winning author of The Broken Girls and The Haunting of Maddy Clare, which won two RITA awards from Romance Writers of America and an Arthur Ellis Award from Crime Writers of Canada. She wrote her first ghost story, about a haunted library, when she was in high school, and spent twenty years behind the scenes in the television business before leaving to write ...more

• You Are Not Alone
  • The Wives
  • The Holdout
  • Long Bright River
  • The Glittering Hour
  • The Family Upstairs
  • Dear Edward
  • Truth Be Told
  • Thin Ice (Alaska Wild Mysteries #1)
  • Once Upon a Wish-mas
  • Unfollow Me
  • Everything My Mother Taught Me
  • The Girl with the Louding Voice
  • The Andromeda Evolution (Andromeda #2)
  • The Stranger Inside