Start by marking “The Accidental Life Swap” as Want to Read:
The Accidental Life Swap

The Accidental Life Swap

Sometimes one moment can change your life forever…
Rebecca Riley has always been a bit of a pushover. When her glamorous boss, Vanessa, asks her to jump, she doesn’t just ask how high… she asks if her boss would like her to grab a coffee on the way back down!

So whilst overseeing the renovation of Vanessa’s beautiful countryside home, the last thing Rebecca ever expected was
Published September 1st 2019 by HQ Digital (first published 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Accidental Life Swap, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Accidental Life Swap

Start your review of The Accidental Life Swap
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads
This was an enjoyable, quick, and cute read. I have to say nothing in the story is beyond what one would expect in a romantic comedy but it was still a fun read nonetheless.

The story kind of gave me a mixture of vibes combined from "The Devil Wears Prada" to "The Parent Trap". It was a classic 'chick flick' story that the reader can tell from the beginning, with the introduction of the lies, that it won't end well. When lies are involved, never does it end well my friends.

Parts of this story w
Whispering Stories
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rebecca Riley is a personal assistant to Vanessa who owns an event planning business. Although Rebecca has a degree in events planning she is seen more of a dogs body sent to get the coffees and file paperwork.

On the morning Rebecca was about to give Vanessa a folder full of her ideas for an upcoming event, Vanessa has something she needs her to do. She is currently having a weekend home renovated out in the countryside and needs someone onsite project managing and to make sure that the work doe
Fuzaila
A delightful, quick read that wasn't anything spectacular.

Rebecca Riley is an events manager - or she wants to be one. Instead, she is stuck as a PA to her demanding boss Vanessa, has a stinky, good-for-nothing roommate, and now her boss wants her to undertake the construction of her holiday home in Little Heaton, a town in the middle of nowhere. When Rebecca gets there, she isn't sure how she would ever get the job done. But by accident, she is mistaken to be Vanessa Whitley herself. Utilizing
Yesha- Books Teacup and Reviews
You can read all my review on Blog - Books Teacup and Reviews

Accidental life swap was lovely countryside romance that revolved around Rebecca who accidentally got a chance to live her boss’ life. It was about believing in yourself, have confidence, stand up for yourself and don’t let others pushover you, and for that you only need inner strength and talent are always there, not a false identity.

Characters:

Rebecca had degree in event management but worked as PA for Vanessa, at her event manageme
Lana  (Bibliomedico)
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Check Out My Review On My Blog : https://bibliomedico.wordpress.com/20...

"It’s all I ever wanted, to be part of Vanessa’s creative team. It was The Dream. But dreams change. ‘Thanks, but I’m happy where I am.”

Book : The Accidental Life Swap.

Author : Jennifer Joyce.

Genre : Fiction , Contemporary , Romance .

Rate : 4/5.

Review In One Word : Adorable .

******************************

When I requested This Book On Netgalley , I didn’t expect I would like it this much .

Adorable , heartwarming , Enjoyable
amanda
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
There is something about chick-lits from the United Kingdom that really makes me happy. They manage to cheer me up even when I am in this current mood of ‘fuck romance, it’s dead and doesn’t matter’. And I can’t help but feel hopeful.

So, yes. Hello. Here I am with yet another romance/chick lit and it’s a really good one folks.

Rebecca Riley is a Personal Assistant at a swanky events management company and is sick to death of her current role. She is also quite tired of sharing a flat with her odi
luce (so' morta dentro)
DNF 30%

I'm starting to get tired of this trend of 'if a girl acts like perv not only it's okay but it's actually funny!'
First of all: this is the type of book that demands a lot of suspension of disbelief.
That Rebecca would just do what Vanessa wants even if it is clearly not part of her job or connected to it (ie: Vanessa is not a tyrant, if Rebecca was to be unjustly fired on the basis of not wanting to agree to do an 'outside job' for her boss). Then again Rebecca can't be all that smart as s
Jypsy
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Accidental Life Swap is such a cute fun read. I love stories where people switch places. I think we all wonder what it would be like to be somebody else. The grass is always greener on the other side, right? These characters are likeable, sympathetic and entertaining. I can relate to that feeling of having a life that's just not good enough. I feel the heartache of realizing your life is not actually as bad as you thought. Even though this story is formulaic, the lessons contained within are ...more
Justkeepreading
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is fun, fresh, currant, fabulous, funny and a joy to read. With relatable characters a fabulous storyline and so many funny moments. I loved reading this book.
Hannah // Book Nerd Native
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
This one was rough for me. I couldn’t handle the sentence structure, or the writing in general. DNF at 26%
Rachel Gilbey
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable story about discovering what you are truly capable of, even if it takes partially impersonating your boss to do so.

For Rebecca Riley has a massive confidence problem, she dreams big, but ultimately seems to be lacking a backbone to stand up to anyone. Hence why her boss Vanessa forces her to suddenly become the project manager for her new property in Little Heaton.

Rebecca is normally Vanessa's PA at an events management company and dreams of stepping up to be an event manager, b
Tiffany
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5⭐ rounded up

This book was a cute, fun read that I devoured quickly. What I loved about this book:

▪︎I loved the picturesque county side setting and the loveable local animal sanctuary. The variety of animals was eclectic, and it sounded like an absolutely charming place. The names of the animals were hilarious (the chicken named Chow Mein 😂) and the wandering donkey made me laugh a time or two.

▪︎The characters of the small town of Little Heaton were so enjoyable and easy to like, and I espec
Ixxati
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just realize I got ARC that I need to review before 1 September 😂 I got into reading slump and thank God it was a fun read. I read this in one sit hehe

Rebecca pissed me off! I wanted her to tell the truth but she keeps delaying it!! But her character are relateble to me.

I enjoyed the friendship and relationship that developed through the story. I'm a fan of Oliver! hahaa I love most of the guys character that I ever read lol
Becky (Head In The Pages)
First of all I need to say that 3 ⭐️s isn’t a negative review from me.
I enjoyed this book, I thought it was an easy read, great for holidays or a palate cleanser.

I just thought there were a few frustrating or cliched moments that stopped this becoming a favourite or the type of book I harp on about for weeks on end.

This is set in Manchester and Cheshire which I love because it’s close to home, I love the references to places I live near and found that very satisfying 😊

I loved the overall plot id
MundiNova
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, netgalley
Who are these people? Has the author even met or spoken to a real person?

Paper thin characters that are stereotypes rather than actual humans. I couldn't relate or bond with any of them, especially Rebecca. She was weak willed and made poor choices. I started to think maybe her boss Vanessa wasn't as bad of a person as Rebecca was describing. It's that old adage, "If everyone around you stinks, maybe it's you who stinks."

I received a copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Story: 1
Sakshi *the bookish romantic*
Rebecca is a flighty, meek, submissive, and self-conscious person who's innocent till the risk of appearing dumb. She works as a PA to Vanessa, who owns an events management company. She is sick of her role as a lowly PA and is more than ready to use her skills and talent in the actual creative side of the business. Too bad for her, she is almost invisible to her boss.

“I’m a wimp. A great big wuss. A sissy pants without a backbone.”

“Rebecca Riley is spineless. She’s afraid of her own shadow and

Julia
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Accidental Life Swap by Jennifer Joyce is a delightfully amusing contemporary novel about the power and dreams and discovering your unique identity.
We all have dreams – dreams keep us focused, striving towards our goals. What happens when we are so dream focused that we cannot see the reality around us?
The novel explores identity. We all have a unique identity. We cannot be someone else. We need to be happy in the skin we are in. If we try to assume another’s identity, sooner or later we wil
Moony (Captain Mischief) MeowPoff
2.5stars.
I really wanted to laugh out loud for this one, but this was just alright? I mean...it was tryng too hard to be funny and was not so much so.

i got this eARC from Netgalley
Rae
Aug 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, bt-e-book, arc, 2019
Read this review and others on my blog: https://thriftybibliophile.com

The Accidental Life Swap by Jennifer Joyce features Rebecca Riley, a woman who’s life gets turned upside down due to a misunderstanding.

Rebecca is a bit of a pushover. She works as a personal assistant to Vanessa, a glamorous woman who runs an events planning company. Rebecca wants to be an events planner–what she got her degree is–but doesn’t know how to make a name for herself in Vanessa’s circle. She’s undervalued and overw
Gaele
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Rebecca has a degree in events management, but has been the general dogsbody a little bit in awe of her take no prisoners boss, who can’t even get her name right. That’s ok in Rebecca’s book though, as she’s certain to get the promotion that’s coming up – and then she can make the impression that she’d hoped for. But, being called into Vanessa’s office isn’t quite what she expected – she’s to ‘oversee’ the renovation of her boss’ country house – and Rebecca doesn’t bat an eye.

She arrives – peop
Jenn
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: a4n, a2, september, 2019, hq-digital
Rebecca longs to be like her confident, forthright boss, Vanessa. So when Vanessa handpicks her for a special project, she's thrilled. Less so when it turns out not to be an event - they are event managers, after all - but overseeing the refurbishment of Vanessa's house. Mousy Rebecca is sure she can't manage a team.

Until she arrives, and they mistake her for Vanessa and immediately get to work. Oops? But it won't matter for a little while, surely! What can go wrong...?

Shades of Sophie Kinsella
Claire
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a light and entertaining read. Something I have been craving recently.

Rebecca is meek and mild but longs to be confident and self-assured like her boss, Vanessa. Desperate for a promotion from Vanessa's PA in the event management company she works for, Rebecca is thrilled when she is chosen for a special project. Not so much when she finds out she will be overseeing the refurbishment of Vanessa's second home.

The builders mistake Rebecca for ballsy Vanessa but immediately begin work, soon ma
Elaine
Sep 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to NetGalley for a Kindle ARC of The Accidental Life Swap.

Events management graduate turned PA Rebecca has been slaving away for her tyrant boss, Vanessa, for three years.

When an opportunity arises to demonstrate how capable she is (and deserving of a promotion), Rebecca accepts the challenge to oversee Vanessa's country home renovation, even though she has no experience.

But, by a quirk of fate, Rebecca is mistaken for Vanessa and unwittingly, becomes someone she's not; hard-nosed
Julia
Sep 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC!

As much as I wanted to love this book, I couldn’t give it more than 3 stars. Now, I knew what I was getting into with the life swap and all. There was no way things wouldn't go wrong for Rebecca after pretending to be Vanessa, but the book became so predictable with it. And I'm not someone who hates when things can be predicted either, but this was just painfully predictable. Rebecca would constantly try to rationalize her lies, and before s
Trish Hills
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Accidental Life Swap is brilliant! I know that Jennifer Joyce is funny but this book had me in stitches! There are some great cringe-moments, some heart warming moments and some "what will happen next???" moments.

Rebecca is completely relatable as a character, being a doormat is something a lot of ua struggle with. Watching her develop and grow into her own was amazing. But then, some of us are Rebeccas and some of us are Vanessas (ballsy and fierce).

The furry cast of characters was lovely a
Emandherbooks
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It was a fun concept and I felt a strong attachment to Rebecca almost straight away.

It was pretty predictable for the most part, except for a little twist that I won’t give away.

It was light hearted and the writing style was really free flowing and easy to read.

The story was not just a "rom-com" it was a story about growth, a woman and her career, personality, friends, family and relationships. It was beautifully rounded off; I am happy for the ending and I would love a s
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was such a fun book! I mean, yes, OK, the initial "oops" was a little ridiculous, but sometimes when reading a book you just need to let things go. Rebecca's relatable in that she's just trying to get through life the best she can and improve her situation, even though her means is a little unorthodox.

Overall, it's a light-hearted, easy read, which is exactly what I needed. Loved this book!
Elizabeth Bosse
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you NetGalley and publishing house for this ARC. This book was fresh and fun! The characters were wonderfully complex and relatable. I loved the story. Rebecca finding who she truly was with her backbone while Vanessa discovers you don’t always have to be mean. The love story, the animals, the English country side, it all made me feel like I was there. I highly recommend this book!
Lisa Jenkins
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. Rebecca seems like me in so many ways. Kind of a pushover and wanting to escape her everyday life once in a while. It was fun reading as she went along pretending to be her boss. This book was full of fun and laughs and I definitely recommend. Thanks NetGalley.
Barbara Osmec
Apr 04, 2021 rated it liked it
Format: 📚
Liked this one. I know that for some people it might be a typical romance novel, but I like the message it conveys: about the importance of assertiveness, standing up for yourself and living authentically!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Out with the Ex, In with the New
  • Love Her or Lose Her (Hot & Hammered, #2)
  • The Light in the Hallway
  • Regretting You
  • Villa of Sun and Secrets
  • Woman in the Water (DS Imogen Grey, #6)
  • Christmas from the Heart
  • Husband Material
  • Reverie
  • Into the Dark (Romantic Suspense, #23; Cincinnati, #5)
  • Cilka's Journey (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #2)
  • Darling Rose Gold
  • Love at First Like
  • No Judgments (Little Bridge Island, #1)
  • Pedalo Pandemonium (Scott Family #4)
  • Holly Banks Full of Angst (Village of Primm #1)
  • The Confession Club (Mason, #3)
See top shelves…
I'm a writer of romantic comedies who lives in Manchester with my husband and our two daughters. I've been scribbling down bits of stories for as long as I can remember, graduating from a pen to a typewriter and then an electronic typewriter. And I felt like the bee's knees typing on THAT. I now write my books on a laptop (which has a proper delete button and everything).

You can keep up to date wi

News & Interviews

It’s hard to believe the year 2022 is already coming to an end. That went fast, didn’t it? Still, there’s just enough time to wedge in a...
“Do you miss him?'
I take a moment to consider the question, my fingers fiddling with the white pegs in the little tray on my lap. 'I think I miss the idea of him. I don't miss his rules or the yelling or the way he'd belittle us. I don't miss his drinking or the rages, but I miss having a dad, you know?'
'What about your mum?'
I smile sadly. 'We talk, but only occasionally. She left Dad when I was little, which I totally get. He isn't the easiest person to live with...”
1 likes
“It's all I ever wanted, to be part of Vanessa's creative team. It was The Dream. But dreams change.
'Thanks, but I'm happy where I am.”
0 likes