Start by marking “A Good Girl's Guide to Murder” as Want to Read:
A Good Girl's Guide to Murder

A Good Girl's Guide to Murder

(A Good Girl's Guide to Murder #1)

4.44  ·  Rating details ·  5,712 ratings  ·  1,140 reviews
For readers of Kara Thomas and Karen McManus, an addictive, twisty crime thriller with shades of Serial and Making a Murderer about a closed local murder case that doesn't add up, and a girl who's determined to find the real killer--but not everyone wants her meddling in the past.

Everyone in Fairview knows the story.

Pretty and popular high school senior Andie Bell was
Published February 4th 2020 by Delacorte Press (first published May 2nd 2019)

To ask other readers questions about A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, please sign up.
Hajra There's nothing too gory or anything but does cover some confronting topics so I would say a mature, young reader: around 13 and above.…moreThere's nothing too gory or anything but does cover some confronting topics so I would say a mature, young reader: around 13 and above. (less)
Amanda It was originally published in the U.K. in 2019 as a paperback. This February it will be published in the U.S. for the first time and it will be a…moreIt was originally published in the U.K. in 2019 as a paperback. This February it will be published in the U.S. for the first time and it will be a hardcover book.(less)

·  5,712 ratings  ·  1,140 reviews

Start your review of A Good Girl's Guide to Murder
Nilufer Ozmekik
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-m-intrigued
APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! One of the quickest, one of the best crazy roller coaster experiences I had as soon as I took this book into my hands. Still shaky, blubbering (I already requested a translator to communicate properly), nail-less, confused, dizzy but also smiling and happy! GAVE MY FIVE FULL MYSTERIOUS SHINING STARS!

GREAT STORY TELLING, ATTENTION TAKER PLOT, FANTASTIC CHARACTERIZATION, FAST AND HEART THROBBING PACING AND GREAT-SATISFYING ENDING! What are you waiting for guys? The
Chelsea Humphrey
Surprise! I was asked to write the recommendation for this story on the Book of the Month website, and I'm thrilled to finally be able to share it with you as it's live on the site. If you'd like to go directly to the page, you can click HERE, just keep scrolling below if you are outside of the US and not a subscriber.

As a reader who developed her book obsession by devouring every Nancy Drew installment in elementary school, I've been an avid enthusiast of YA crime fiction for most of my life.
Meredith
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: overdrive
SMART GIRLS RULE!

A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder is a smart YA mystery/thriller about a 17-year-old girl who investigates a murder that rocked her small town 5 years ago.

Pippa “Pip” Fitz- Amobbi to conduct her Senior Capstone project on the disappearance of Andie Bell, a high school senior who was presumed to be murdered by her boyfriend, Sal Singh. Shortly after Andie went missing, Sal killed himself and confessed to her murder. But Andie’s body was never found. Convicted by the town and the
Umut Rados
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rounded up from 4.5 stars. This is a YA crime thriller, and I enjoyed it so much!
In a small town, 5 years ago, a young girl called Andie went missing and they could never find her. Her ex-boyfriend (Sal) is found dead just a few days later leaving solid proof that he did it and he took his own life. So, the police closes the case, and declared Sal as the murderer and Andie dead.
5 years after, Pip, a brilliant student chooses the case as her homework. But, in her mind, she never believed Sal
Ashley Nuckles
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to work at 7am tomorrow and stayed up ridiculously late just to finish this because I was on the EDGE OF MY SEAT UNTIL THE VERY END. Holy Jesus that entire book made me shiver but in an entirely good way lol!
Olivia (Stories For Coffee)
It’s been a while since I’ve picked up a YA mystery, and this one was very entertaining! Not only was it told through pose, but it also includes emails, transcripts, papers, etc. to make it feel as though you too are looking through piles of evidence to solve this local crime. It’s also been a while since I’ve read a book and didn’t successfully guess the plot twists, but one can also say the answer to this crime came somewhat out of no where, so *shrugs* I wasn’t utterly impressed by the ending ...more
Zoe Mann
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok so I’ve had a full 24hours to get over how spectacular ‘A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder’ by Holly Jackson is and I now feel semi ready to write a review.

So where do I start, WOW, WOW, WOW! I needed this book. Reading had become so boring lately and this book slapped me right across the face and made me sit up straight and pay attention!

I loved everything about this book. The humour, the characters, the secrets, the emotions. I genuinely laughed out loud and burst out crying at this book (more
Michelle
Feb 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: feb-2020-reads
I'm going to review this book the only way I know how. It's getting TWO ratings. Let's discuss:

3 stars is where I stand on this book. It was good. It fell victim to my problem with YA (which is why I don't really read a lot of YA). I have so much trouble relating to the characters because that time in my life is long over and I have trouble caring. There were also some similarities to the murder being investigated and the first Serial Podcast case, so that kind of irked me a little. (I might be
Kendall
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
OK... STANDING ovation for Holly Jackson friends. WOW this book totally blew my expectations out of the damn water plus some.

This book deserves all the stars plus more! I am SO unbelievably sad that this book had to come to an end. BUT, am SO ecstatic that this is going to a be a series and it looks like we only have to wait until April to get the second....muhahahahaahha.

Easily one of my top thrillers of ALL time. Yes... ALL time. I can't tell you how refreshing it is as a huge thriller/mystery
Sara
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was more YA than i am used to and reads as such.
This was predictable but fun nonetheless, i enjoyed the way the story was told through a variety of different ways, emails, diary entries etc and thought the main character was pretty cool.
If you don't read much in the way of mysteries you might like this, but if you read mystery and thrillers often you might find this predictable as I did.
Virginie
Fast paced and full of interesting twists!

I have to admit it won't be a memorable read, but it was entertaining. A younger me would probably give this YA novel 5 stars. I could predict some things, but not everything. I had a good time while reading it!

5*: Sad to finish it, this book was amazing
4*: Really liked it!
3*: Liked it
2*: Fell asleep a couple of times during my reading... but not entirely boring!
1*: Why did I bother to finish it?!
Ludwig
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

“When you ask people in town what happened to Andie Bell, they’ll tell you without hesitation: ‘She was murdered by Salil Singh.’ No allegedly, no might have, no probably...He did it, they say. Sal Singh Killed Andie.”

A mysterious disappearance/murder case has rocked Little Kilton. They all said that Sal did it, but our protagonist Pippa isn’t so sure, so she chooses this case as her school project and starts her own investigation into Andie Bell’s disappearance.
What really happened
Abbie (boneseasonofglass)
What a wild ride
;3
teenage girl: vibe-checks scummy men

me: 5 stars
Robin Stevens
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely addictive and immersive, this is a brilliant contemporary murder mystery perfect for fans of my books who want to step up into YA fiction. Can you guess who killed Andie Bell? (12+)

*Please note: this review is meant as a recommendation only. If you use it in any marketing material, online or anywhere on a published book without asking permission from me first, I will ask you to remove that use immediately. Thank you!*
NZLisaM
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cross Veronica Mars with Pretty Little Liars, throw in a heroine sleuth worthy of Trixie Belden or Nancy Drew, and you have A Good Girl's Guide to Murder. Simply sensational!

In 2012 pretty popular senior student, Andie Bell, left home to pick up her parents from a dinner party, and never arrived. Police zeroed in on her boyfriend Sal Singh when it was discovered he'd lied about his alibi for that night, and to date, the town of Little Kilton has maintained that Sal killed Andie, even though her
Mónica BQ
I am sooooo on the fence about this one that I've been changing my mind about it's rating and wether to put it on my favourites bookshelves or not. Because I liked the book a lot, but I didn't like it's resolution much.

The thing is I believe this book should be called "A Good Girl's Intro to Racism" or something to that effect.

Let me explain why.

AGGGtM is about Pip and how she undertakes the task of taking another look at the murder of a teen girl a few years older than her that had taken
Elise (TheBookishActress)
guys this looks like a cool she-did-that thriller i support it
Savannah Brown
Twisty, compulsive, and so so clever. Loved how organically the mystery unfolded - the investigation never felt beyond the realms of what a teenager would be able to do on their own (made even more believable by Pip's realistic - and often hilarious - voice). I tried to stay ahead of Pip/Jackson at first but eventually was more than content to just let them take me on the ride. You're gonna want this in May.
Kate (GirlReading)
The moment this book was compared to Serial, my expectations sky rocketed but I’m very happy to say it did not disappoint. This was truly the Veronica Mars/Serial mashup I so desperately needed.

TW: Suicide, racism, mention of self harm and rape
Ewe Linka
Pip is doing a school project on a murder case from 5 years ago, wanting to prove Sal, whom she knew, didn't kill his girlfriend Andie and she tries to investigate every lead in order to prove it.
I am usually a massive fan of crime thrillers and anything mysterious but this didn't quite cut it for me to love it but I liked it a lot nonetheless.
The language and some of the conversations were pretty basic and it didn't let me explore the world the protagonist lives in more depth. I felt some
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
Review to come
Isabel • The Crime Bookshelf
5 AMAZING STARS.

Thank you so much to Delacorte Press for this gorgeous finished copy of A GOOD GIRL’S GUIDE TO MURDER! This book was seriously amazing and I am honestly so sad that it’s over. I loved this book SO much and it’s definitely one of my new top favorites of all time

What I really loved about this book was how unique it was. It is written in several different formats (project entries, interviews, etc.) and I loved how perfectly they all fit together. This book really made me want to
Farah
If I was murdered and my case was unsolved or turned to a cold case, please contact Pippa Fitz - Amobi. Pippa was 12 when the first and only murder happened in her peaceful small town, Little Kilton. She didn't believe then nor now that the suspect did the heinous crime so 5 years later, for her Extended Project Qualification, she decided to prove it.

Ms.Jackson did extremely well with Pippa's characterization. I can place Pippa in any wannabe mystery/crime genre and she will be able to breathe a
Laura Peden
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
A modern day Nancy Drew! It’s a well-written, wholesome YA mystery. I binged this in one day there’s a second book coming out soon too!! ...more
Amybibliophile
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A round of a applause to Holly Jackson for writing the YA Thriller of the year!
I knew this was going to be good, I just didn't know it was going to be THAT good.

Pippa Fitz-Amobi is a straight A* student, good-hearted and very intelligent with an inquisitive mind.
When she chooses a closed murder case from 5 years ago of an ex-pupil, Andi Bell, for her final year project she thinks this is the perfect opportunity to find out the truth and find proof that Andi's boyfriend at the time, Sal Singh,
Susan
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My twelve year old daughter adores mysteries and when I saw that this was advertised as appealing to fans of, “One of Us is Lying,” a novel that she loved, I took a chance on this and I am so pleased I did, as she loved it.

It is set on a small town, where, five years previously, a girl was murdered. The murderer was named, the case was closed. However, Pippa is not so sure. She picks the case for a project and begins to investigate what happened; uncovering dangerous secrets along the way.

My
Sandra
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was so good :)

I am not normally like YA set in high school, but this was very different from what I've read in other YA books so far.

For one Pippa actually has a family and homework along with a mystery to solve. That is far more realistic for an 18 year old then I've usually read in this genre. She is neither a stereotypical teenager, nor is she a million miles off from what life at that age usually looks like.

Also, I like the lay out with the logbook and the mails/texts. It gave the book
Yasmin
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hello, yes, everyone please read this book when it releases in May 2019. It's freaking fantastic.

I read this in practically one sitting, because I just literally could not be away from it for five minutes before I started going over suspects in my head. And boy there were so MANY. I wanted to make my own murder board at times. There were so many twists and turns that had me questioning everything every few chapters or so. And that ending! Even when you think things have are about to be neatly
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Two days after Andie’s disappearance, her boyfriend Sal commits suicide confessing to her murder. Now, five years later Pippa, a budding journalist who believes in Sal’s innocence, uses Andie’s presumed murder as a final project. Determined to solve the mystery, Pip enlists the help of Sal’s brother Ravi and what they find could be dangerous.

Holly Jackson created a complex mystery in A GOOD GIRL’S GUIDE TO MURDER without falling into the trope teenagers knowing more than the police. Because Pip
Who did you suspect was the murderer of Andie Bell? 1 26 Aug 13, 2019 04:35PM

• One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
  • This Lie Will Kill You
  • The Places I've Cried in Public
  • Two Can Keep a Secret
  • Meat Market
  • The Paper & Hearts Society (The Paper & Hearts Society #1)
  • I Am Not a Number
  • The Burning
  • All The Things We Never Said
  • The Truth About Keeping Secrets
  • Call It What You Want
  • Dead Popular
  • What Magic Is This?
  • Yes No Maybe So
  • Top Marks for Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #8)
  • The Hand on the Wall (Truly Devious, #3)
  • Jemima Small Versus the Universe
  • What She Found in the Woods
Holly Jackson was born in 1992. She grew up in Buckinghamshire and started writing stories from a young age, completing her first (poor) attempt at a book aged fifteen.

'A Good Girl's Guide to Murder' is a YA Mystery Thriller and her debut novel. She lives in London and aside from reading and writing, she enjoys binge-playing video games and pointing out grammatical errors in street signs.

A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (4 books)
  • Good Girl, Bad Blood (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #2)
  • Untitled (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #3)
  • Untitled (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #4)
“The people you love weren’t algebra: to be calculated, subtracted, or held at arm’s length across a decimal point.” 4 likes
“As if they think I don’t already know. I came out of the womb knowing how to do academic references.” 1 likes