Start by marking “A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)

A Good Girl's Guide to Murder

(A Good Girl's Guide to Murder #1)

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  54,286 ratings  ·  9,453 reviews
For readers of Kara Thomas and Karen McManus, an addictive, twisty crime thriller with shades of Serial and Making a Murderer about a closed local murder case that doesn't add up, and a girl who's determined to find the real killer--but not everyone wants her meddling in the past.

Everyone in Fairview knows the story.

Pretty and popular high school senior Andie Bell was murd
Published February 4th 2020 by Delacorte Press (first published May 2nd 2019)

To ask other readers questions about A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, please sign up.
L Mo Well I read it at 12 years old and I found it OK, but if you aren't comfortable with things like rape, drugs and cold-blooded murder I would wait a bi…moreWell I read it at 12 years old and I found it OK, but if you aren't comfortable with things like rape, drugs and cold-blooded murder I would wait a bit. I definitely don't think it should be read by 10 year old or younger people. I hope this helped!(less)
Elia The author is from the UK and the UK version is the original. The US release changed the location from the UK to Connecticut, which I feel makes the w…moreThe author is from the UK and the UK version is the original. The US release changed the location from the UK to Connecticut, which I feel makes the whole thing jarring because the people do not behave or speak like Americans at all. (less)

·  54,286 ratings  ·  9,453 reviews

Start your review of A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
Nilufer Ozmekik
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-m-intrigued
APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! APPLAUSE! One of the quickest, one of the best crazy roller coaster experiences I had as soon as I took this book into my hands. Still shaky, blubbering (I already requested a translator to communicate properly), nail-less, confused, dizzy but also smiling and happy! GAVE MY FIVE FULL MYSTERIOUS SHINING STARS!

GREAT STORY TELLING, ATTENTION TAKER PLOT, FANTASTIC CHARACTERIZATION, FAST AND HEART THROBBING PACING AND GREAT-SATISFYING ENDING! What are you waiting for guys? The b
Chelsea Humphrey
Surprise! I was asked to write the recommendation for this story on the Book of the Month website, and I'm thrilled to finally be able to share it with you as it's live on the site. If you'd like to go directly to the page, you can click HERE, just keep scrolling below if you are outside of the US and not a subscriber.

As a reader who developed her book obsession by devouring every Nancy Drew installment in elementary school, I've been an avid enthusiast of YA crime fiction for most of my life.
megs_bookrack
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
You heard it here first: I have found a new favorite YA Mystery/Thriller. I am so stoked.

Clearly, I absolutely loved A Good Girl's Guide to Murder!

For her Senior Capstone Project, Pippa Fitz-Amboi, an extraordinarily focused high school girl, decides to solve a murder.

Andie Bell, disappeared 5-years ago in Pippa's hometown; foul play suspected.

The police, and thus everyone else, say she was murdered by Andie's then-boyfriend, Sal Singh, who subsequently disposed of the body.

Their biggest piece o
Chloe
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars*
love a good small town murder mystery and this was so good!!

trigger warnings: rape, drug use, death of a pet, kidnapping
jessica
Dec 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this story is giving off such strong ‘serial’ vibes that i can only imagine how amazing listening to the audiobook version would have been.

a re-investigation of a cold case, including detailed diagrams and evidence files, with a really interesting mystery and suspects - what more could you want? this is every true crime enthusiasts dream story.

the one thing preventing me from giving this five stars is the same thing i tend to find obnoxious about most YA mystery/thrillers - the need to include
Meredith ( on Semi-Hiatus until February)
SMART GIRLS RULE!

A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder is a smart YA mystery/thriller about a 17-year-old girl who investigates a murder that rocked her small town 5 years ago.

Pippa “Pip” Fitz- Amobbi to conduct her Senior Capstone project on the disappearance of Andie Bell, a high school senior who was presumed to be murdered by her boyfriend, Sal Singh. Shortly after Andie went missing, Sal killed himself and confessed to her murder. But Andie’s body was never found. Convicted by the town and the pre
Gabby
This was so much fun ahhhh This book was so good! Definitely one of the best YA thrillers I've ever read. Our main character Pippa is investigating a murder and suicide in her small town that happened a few years ago. Andie Bell, the popular girl in the town was murdered, everyone assumed it was her boyfriend Sal who did it and then a few days later he killed himself. But the story has always seemed a little fishy so she wants to look into it more.

This book was so much fun, the way it was told
Sofia
I refuse to believe that the first half and the second half of A Good Girl's Guide to Murder are, in fact, part of the same book.

Half One: 1 star

A few years prior to the start of this book, a girl named Andie Bell vanished into thin air. Sal Singh murdered her and then committed suicide.

Allegedly.

But Pippa is determined to solve the mystery and prove Sal innocent. With the help of Sal's brother, Ravi, she interviews suspects, tracks down clues, and proves her mettle as things get dangerous.

Thi
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
$2.99 kindle US today 6/6/20

4.5

The audio of this was awesome! I have added the hardback to my wishlist and the audible version.
I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. I didn’t like the dog killing (of course) so I’m taking off half a star for that because it was just a mention and nothing graphic or effed up. Well, I think any animal killing in books or movies is effed up but I digress! Anyhoo.....

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Larry H
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know the feeling when you literally sit in the car outside your office and race to finish your book? That's what happened to me this morning with Holly Jackson's excellent debut novel, A Good Girl's Guide to Murder .

“...I don’t know who I am when I’m not working, when I’m not focused on or totally consumed by a task. Who am I between the projects and the assignments, when there’s nothing to do? I haven’t found her yet as it scares me. Maybe that’s why, for my senior capstone project this
Tatiana
Well, it appears, I've been reading YA mysteries all wrong these past years. Evidently, I should not expect plausibility, believability, character development or strong motivations in these books, like I do when reading adult mysteries. No wonder there is only ONE teen mystery that I think is good, and actual teens don't even like reading it, from what I hear. (It's Sadie in case you were wondering).

A Good Girl's Guide to Murder starts off as a Serial rip-off, with upstanding Pippa swooping in
Peyton Reads
Jan 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
HOLY SHIT I STAYED UP TILL 6AM READING THIS BECAUSE I JUST NEEDED ANSWERS!!
Arini
Apr 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder is a BRILLIANT young adult whodunit mystery thriller about a senior year student, Pippa Fitz Amobi, who decides to ‘re-investigate’ a closed murder case that took place five years prior for her final Capstone Project. I want to stress that the audiobook is absolutely spectacular. It’s narrated full casts complete with cool background music and other accompanying sounds.

The book has a unique formatting. It’s written in journal-like entries decorated with new
Marzuqa
Feb 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
4.5* Wow, I started reading this and I didn’t even have to wait for the mystery to start kicking in. I was right in it from page 1. This was so full of surprises. I’m usually skeptical about modern day young adult mysteries because of certain cliche tropes but this was unique in many forms and it did not allow me to get distracted or lose interest at all. So much happened in this book!!

For a story that’s almost a complicated and tangled web of facts involving so many characters that are suspects
Hannah Greendale
2020 Best Books of the Year [#03 of 11]

This book is tense! Full of twists and surprises and an ending I did not see coming. Finished it and immediately ordered the sequel from my favorite local bookstore. Highly recommend for fans of smart thrillers like Sadie by Courtney Summers or multi-faceted contemporary curveballs like Dig. by A. S. King.
Michelle
Feb 10, 2020 rated it liked it
I'm going to review this book the only way I know how. It's getting TWO ratings. Let's discuss:

3 stars is where I stand on this book. It was good. It fell victim to my problem with YA (which is why I don't really read a lot of YA). I have so much trouble relating to the characters because that time in my life is long over and I have trouble caring. There were also some similarities to the murder being investigated and the first Serial Podcast case, so that kind of irked me a little. (I might be
C.G. Drews
This was just phenomenal and I am most absolutely exhuasted. In a good way?! I am totally draped over my bed marvelling at the author's intensely genius brain and how she put all this together (with all the twists and turns and red herrings and just plots within plots) and how satisfying it was to watch unravel. Reading the book was like when you start digging a hole at the beach, and more sand falls in and water appears and suddenly the hole is growing larger by itself and you're standing there ...more
Deanna
Jul 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-releases

My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

A terrific Young Adult thriller!

Five years ago, Sal Singh murdered seventeen-year-old, Andie Bell.

Or did he?

The police, the press, and almost the whole town thought he did. And what he did after he was charged with the crime didn’t help change anyone’s mind.

But Andie’s body was never found….

Seventeen-year-old, Pippa (Pip) Fitz-Amobi isn’t so sure that Sal was guilty. Pip chooses the case for her senior project. She even tea
BernLuvsBooks
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars for this Smart, Twisty YA Mystery

I loved this book! It's a fast paced, addictive, smartly layered and twisty murder mystery. All the mixed media was such a treat - maps, journal entries, diagrams, police reports, etc. It made reading the book feel interactive. I found myself taking notes to see if I could figure out the whodunnit before the big reveal.

I heard this is set to be a series and I am so in for more! A Good Girl's Guide to Murder is a well crafted debut that was a highly en
krista ☽✧
Jan 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-reads

‘’Because half less of a bad thing meant there was room for half good.”

WHAT IS SLEEP.i dont know i dont need it when i am reading books at night like this one. Sleep is for the weak

First we are having a inner screaming moment again because I need too scream my emotions out. This book , this book was so addictive I could literally not stop reading. I picked this up yesterd
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
So here it is...unpopular opinion alert. Sorry guys I just didn't love it as much as pretty much everyone else in the world. I was so excited to get this from BOTM. It actually was the most excited I have been over a BOTM pick in quite awhile. That cover, the title, whew and the hype!

I did like it, I just didn't love it. I think probably my problem was I don't generally read YA. I have been picking up some YA recently and they just don't read like I would expect a YA to read. They seem like norm
Maria ☾ ⋆
☾ ⋆.
┊. ˚ ✦ 𝟰.𝟱/𝟱

“𝗵𝗶𝘀𝘁𝗼𝗿𝘆’𝘀 𝗴𝗿𝗲𝗮𝘁𝗲𝘀𝘁 𝗺𝗶𝗻𝗱𝘀 𝗮𝗹𝘄𝗮𝘆𝘀 𝗮𝗱𝘃𝗶𝘀𝗲𝗱 𝗯𝗼𝗹𝗱 𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗿 𝘀𝗮𝗳𝗲; 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗶𝗿 𝘄𝗼𝗿𝗱𝘀 𝗴𝗼𝗼𝗱 𝗽𝗮𝗱𝗱𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘄𝗼𝗿𝘀𝘁 𝗶𝗱𝗲𝗮𝘀.”

RIGHT NOW, I really think I need to wear my coat and buy one of those murder boards with red strings and pins because I'M SO READY TO SOLVE THE CASE.

Me while reading this book (at first):
*knock knock*
Okay my lovely brain, who is the murderer?
*my brain process* : failed, We don't access to all the evidence. Sorry! Please Try later.
Me: I WANT TO KNOW!!! I WANT TO KNOW!! TEL
Umut Rados
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rounded up from 4.5 stars. This is a YA crime thriller, and I enjoyed it so much!
In a small town, 5 years ago, a young girl called Andie went missing and they could never find her. Her ex-boyfriend (Sal) is found dead just a few days later leaving solid proof that he did it and he took his own life. So, the police closes the case, and declared Sal as the murderer and Andie dead.
5 years after, Pip, a brilliant student chooses the case as her homework. But, in her mind, she never believed Sal wa
Lia Carstairs
Me reading the last few chapters..........

This was bloody brilliant! (Hehe, see what I did there😏)

Seriously though, why haven't I read this sooner?
Aye, I know the answer to that. 'Twas me being hesitant and stupid. Fortunately, I changed that.😌

This is by far one of the BEST mystery books I've read this year. The suspense was killing me as I read and I was so tempted to go to the back of the book and see who the culprit was.😅😁 Thankfully, I was able to squelch this urge and read until the en
Unknown Reviews
3.5

I’m not someone who tends to read murder mysteries, but the good reviews and title had me intrigued. Suffice to say, I wasn’t let down.

In the town of Little Kilton, a schoolgirl named Andie Bell disappeared five years and was never found. Everyone knows her boyfriend, Sal, was the killer – after all he confessed and committed suicide a few days after she was reported missing. Yet Pippa Fitz-Amobi believes otherwise. For her final year project, she decides to investigate the case herself and
Ashley Nuckles
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to work at 7am tomorrow and stayed up ridiculously late just to finish this because I was on the EDGE OF MY SEAT UNTIL THE VERY END. Holy Jesus that entire book made me shiver but in an entirely good way lol!
EmBibliophile
Sep 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars

This might be the best YA mystery book I’ve ever read! It was so entertaining. It reminded me of when I was young and used to be obsessed with solving crimes in shows or Agatha Christie’s books and guessing the murderer right. I just really enjoy a good mystery and that hunting for answers feeling.

This was so good! I loved how it was written and loved all those clues and details and evidences. It made me feel like I’m moving with the main character, investigating with her. It was just d
☆Pelumi☆
Dec 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everything that breathes lmao
I haven't seen a good mystery book like this since DAN BROWN!!!

OUT OF FIVE
ACTUAL RATING: 5
INTENSITY: 5
CHARACTERS: 4
PLOT: 4.4
TWISTS: 10

THIS WAS AN INTERESTING, ACTION-PACKED, THRILLING AND ADRENALINE INDUCING READ

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I love this so much it hurts!
This book is everything, purrfection, just freaking awesome!!
The characters, plot, writing style, pace, hell even the cover was so cool!.
Hearing that this was a debut novel blows my mind, how is Holly so good????
Okay enough gushing, le
(\_/) ||
(•ㅅ•) ||
/   づ
mish ♡
I don’t even know what’s right anymore—everything is so muddled. I’m not sure I’m the good girl I once thought I was. I’ve lost her along the way.

MY LOVE FOR THIS BOOK>>>> I can't even put it into words. I wish this could be a beautiful, wordy review talking about how I loved every aspect of the book but I'm still too much of a mess. It's insane how since the moment I picked the book up, I couldn't stop thinking about it. Doing my assignments, studying lectures, about to fall asleep and thinki

• One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
  • The Cousins
  • The Inheritance Games (The Inheritance Games, #1)
  • All Your Twisted Secrets
  • The Girl Who Speaks Bear
  • The Fandom Rising (The Fandom, #2)
  • "I Will Not Be Erased": Our stories about growing up as people of colour
  • One of Us Is Lying (One of Us is Lying, #1)
  • Unstoppable
  • Gloves Off
  • All the Lonely People
  • We Are Not Okay
  • The Boy With the Butterfly Mind
  • The Year After You
  • Spies in St. Petersburg (Taylor and Rose Secret Agents, #2)
  • You Only Live Once (Gracie Dart #1)
  • The Peculiar Peggs of Riddling Woods
  • Two Can Keep a Secret
Holly Jackson was born in 1992. She grew up in Buckinghamshire and started writing stories from a young age, completing her first (poor) attempt at a book aged fifteen.

'A Good Girl's Guide to Murder' is a YA Mystery Thriller and her debut novel. She lives in London and aside from reading and writing, she enjoys binge-playing video games and pointing out grammatical errors in street signs.

A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (3 books)
  • Good Girl, Bad Blood (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #2)
  • As Good As Dead (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #3)

Articles featuring this book

“The people you love weren’t algebra: to be calculated, subtracted, or held at arm’s length across a decimal point.” 38 likes
“But sometimes remembering isn’t for yourself, sometimes you do it just to make someone else smile. Those lies were allowed.” 35 likes