Start by marking “The Midnight Call” as Want to Read:
The Midnight Call

The Midnight Call

WINNER OF THE 2020 INDEPENDENT PUBLISHER BOOK AWARD FOR SUSPENSE/THRILLER AND THE 2020 AMERICAN FICTION AWARD FOR LEGAL THRILLER.

Attorney Jessie Martin didn't--at least not until she answers the midnight call.

Late one August night, Jessie's lifelong mentor and friend--and presently a po
Published June 18th 2019 by Immortal Works LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Midnight Call, please sign up.
Jode Millman While the plot is inspired by the 1979 Fentress murder in Poughkeepsie, the characters are not in anyway those in the true-life crime. Thanks for the …moreWhile the plot is inspired by the 1979 Fentress murder in Poughkeepsie, the characters are not in anyway those in the true-life crime. Thanks for the insightful question.(less)

Start your review of The Midnight Call
Patty Smith
Many thanks to Meryl Moss Media and Jode Millman for an ARC in exchange for an honest review. My opinions are 100% my own and independent of receiving an advance copy.

For more exciting content and an author Q & A visit: https://www.pinkpurlandprose.com

I love legal thrillers. From movies like “Legal Eagles”, “The Runaway Jury” and “Primal Fear”, to any novels by John Grisham or Scott Turow, these are stories I have always loved. Not only me, “Law and Order” would not have been on for over 20 year
Samantha Gonsalves
The Midnight Call grabbed my attention when I read the description. "Who would ever suspect that their mentor, teacher, and friend is a cold-blooded killer?". If I'm being honest, I struggled with this book, there were many times I was very close to giving up, but somehow trudged on.

Late one August night, Jessie’s lifelong mentor and friend—and presently a popular, charismatic, and handsome high school teacher—Terrence Butterfield calls. He utters a startling admission: he’s killed, someone. He
Bandit
May 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Should have gone with gut instinct that (quite accurately) said no, you don’t like legal thrillers and the cover looks cheap, don’t do it. But no…this one had praise from legit sources and promised a twist ending, so I went for it. So yeah, this is very much a legal thriller about a young female attorney, Jessie, whose mentor (a well respected local teacher) is accused of a brutal murder. There aren’t any murder mystery suspense elements these types of books often feature, there isn’t really any ...more
Dawnny
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The midnight call
A legal thriller that pulls all the punches with a little romance. I'm from upstate New York where this story takes place so I loved that.This was sharp, well plotted and seriously compelling. I loved it.
Dawnny-BookGypsy
Hudson Valley NY
Annette
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2019
I enjoyed the story but found the legal part of the book a bit tedious. I feel like there were some loose ends left, maybe there’s a sequel in the works? I agree with another reviewer in that they could have picked a better cover. I shouldn’t but I do judge a lot of books by the cover. If this book hadn’t been offered to me to read I wouldn’t have picked it up. Just because of the cover. If you like legal thrillers then I think you would like this one.
Darren
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this as a arc e book from Net Galley for my i pad. I enjoyed reading it. It had a good story to it. It is my first book read by this author. I hope to read more books by this author.
Stephen
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jessica Martin is a bright, corporate lawyer practicing in New York City and living north of the city in Poughkeepsie , NY. She is about to have a baby and will soon marry her long time boyfriend, Kyle. What she doesn't know his her whole world in going to collapse this night.
In the middle of the night she receives a frantic phone call from her longtime mentor and ex-high school teacher, Terrence Butterfield. He sounds incoherent and is babbling about a dead body and blood all over his residen
Lovely Loveday
The Midnight Call is a fast-paced page-turner written by Jodé Millman. A story that is sure to draw you in from the beginning and hold your attention until the very end. The Midnight Call will have you second-guessing every move until the unexpected end. This would make a lovely beach read.
Angel Molt
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being from the Poughkeepsie area, it was crazy reading a book based in Poughkeepsie, NY and hopefully she finishes the next book fast because I read its supposed to be about the serial killer Francois.
KarnagesMistress
BookTrib.com
Everyone dreads that terrifying call that comes in the middle of the night. Your worst fears might be realized, your life changed forever in the minute it takes to answer. Jessie Martin never expected to hear the word murder on the other end of the line. That ringing phone was the sound of an ill-fated trajectory that would tilt her world, throwing her life into free-fall in Jodé Susan Millman’s heart-pounding courtroom thriller, The Midnight Call (Immortal Works).

Corporate attorney Jessie Marti
Diane Hernandez
“ ’I think I killed someone.’ The man’s voice whispered across the phone lines.” Jessie is a pregnant attorney who receives this Midnight Call from her mentor, high school teacher Terrence Butterfield.

Terrence claims he remembers nothing of the incident after his whiskey-fueled anger that kids were tagging his walls. The police determine that Jessie had a strong link to the victim. When Terrence betrays Jessie to free himself, Jessie must prove her own innocence by finding the true killer.

There
Andrea
I approached this book club read with some trepidation. It's set in our area, and I enjoy seeing references to places I know. But it's loosely based on a vicious crime that was committed locally, and even when it was splashed all over the paper, I didn't read about it. I don't like gore, fictional or real. The good news is, the gore is concentrated, and it was easy enough to skip those paragraphs and just move on with the story.

It also kept me engaged, and I finished it very quickly because I w
Justkeepreading85
This book started out with a lot of promise for me, unfortunately it just kind of fell flat. All the lawyer talk was very tedious and I ended up skipping a lot of it because it was boring. I found that we didn’t get enough of the most interesting character in the book. Terrance intrigued me immensely but it was almost like the author was trying to fit in way too much so no one plot line got enough attention. I couldn’t understand this magnetic pull that Jessie had over these multiple men and why ...more
Linda Thompson
Oct 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow-what a ride! I loved this book; it’s fast-paced, the characters are interesting and the story is riveting. Ms. Millman’s debut as a novelist is spot-on and it’s obvious that she’s left the door open for the return of Jessie and maybe even Hal? There was so much going on here, but the reader doesn’t get lost and that’s to the credit of the author. Some of the legal scenes were a bit over my head, but that’s to be expected if you aren’t an attorney. The human vs. inhuman aspects of Terrance wa ...more
Shawn Callon
I enjoyed reading this novel - it was exciting, the plot had movement, the characters were quite well-rounded. It had plenty of references to jurisprudence to give the story some authenticity but it had too much psycho-babble from one of the experts investigating Butterfield's state of mind. But something was missing! It was too predictable. The paths that each of the major characters (Jessie, Hal, Kyle and Jeremy) chose to follow were too obvious save for the slight twist right at the end of th ...more
Denise
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one that I have not read this author before with the snippet drawing my attention. It will have that bit of intrigue with a lure to reel you in and the character Jessie taking you on the ride. It will be precise which I find interesting but it might not be everyone's cup of joe. This is like a thriller that would be shown on that investigative channel if they showed movies. I donot know though if I would of as quickly if I was pregnant like she did go to see what is what but I am old sch ...more
Angela Simmons
Jun 30, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Rating: DNF

I’m always up for a good thriller and, this one being a legal thriller, I found it intriguing, especially given the connection between Terrence and Jessie. The book—even though it’s told from several POV’s—quickly gained my attention as Terrence’s behavior becomes erratic and Jessie’s opinion about whether he’s innocent or guilty bounces back and forth. Then suddenly the book changes from a legal thriller to a book about cheating with a bit of legal drama thrown in. By that point, I
Sara Strand
Definitely a fast read and if you are a fan of legal thrillers that focus more on the legal aspect, you'll probably really like this one. I do think the crime itself is a little gruesome and the details and clues as to who did it are kind of strange, but I'll tell you I never really saw how the whole thing was going to come together and I did like that pieces felt put into place at the end. The very last line makes me think a book 2 will come and I'm not sure if that's really needed? But I'd be ...more
Michele
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It was well written and well researched. The plot was interesting and I found myself wanting to keep reading at the end of every chapter. I liked the cast of characters (even the contemptible ones) I especially liked the ending - the last line of the book really got me!
Denise
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Being from the area and knowing the true crime, I wanted to hate this book thinking it would exploit the victim's family. Instead I found the true crime was a back story to a great story about not everyone or everything is as it seems. Very well written and I had to finish it in one day.
Dave Lowrie
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I thought the character development was excellent, the chapter transitions captivating and the story line very interesting. A real page turner, easy to read and finished reading too quickly.
Blue Rose
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
For a first book it was well done. The characters were interesting, the plot kept you guessing, and the haunts of local places were pleasantly familiar.
Mary Mahler Ridings
Story kept moving and twisting. Romantic crime thriller
Kelly
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A gripping, interesting, cleverly crafted thriller that grabs and pulls you in for the ride. You won't guess it!
David Cinelli
an excellent story/novel, keeps you on edge and moves fast. I highly reccomend this book.
David E.
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting and well written book. I really enjoyed it.
Mary Christina King
Midnight call has just begun

I really enjoyed reading this story. Jodi has really brought the characters to life. I hope she is planning on writing more on these characters, because the only bad thing was, it seemed the story was not finished!
Jode Millman
May 29, 2020 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I was extremely excited to have Janel Valentine as the narrator for the audiobook of The Midnight Call. She brings all of my characters to life, in ways that I never expected. I hope readers will enjoy this long-awaited version of my award-winning debut thriller.http://jodesusanmillman.com
Audiobook Links:
Audiobook is now available! Win a copy! 1 1 Jun 28, 2020 05:33AM
Ebook Sale 1 1 Mar 27, 2020 03:31AM
The Midnight Call is inspired by a true crime. 1 2 Jun 05, 2019 04:04AM
The Midnight Call is inspired by a true crime. 1 2 Jun 05, 2019 04:01AM

• Snow Creek (Detective Megan Carpenter, #1)
  • Hideaway
  • Love in the Time of Corona: Advice from a Sex Therapist for Couples in Quarantine
  • Ghosts of Guatemala
  • The Museum of Desire (Alex Delaware, #35)
  • Scary Shorts: Halloween Flash Fiction
  • Lethal Voyage (Mike Stoneman Thriller #3)
  • Dead to Her
  • Do You Mind If I Cancel? (Things That Still Annoy Me)
  • Darkness on the Fens (DI Nikki Galena, #10)
  • Vendetta Road (Torpedo Ink, #3)
  • Shadow Flight (Shadow Riders, #5)
  • Alpha Night (Psy-Changeling Trinity, #4; Psy-Changeling, #19)
  • King of Diamonds (Vegas Underground, #1)
  • The Third Rainbow Girl: The Long Life of a Double Murder in Appalachia
  • Wild Card (Vegas Underground, #8)
  • Nothing More Dangerous
  • A Killing Game (A Curtis Westcott Crime Thriller, #1)
Jode is a life-long resident of the beautiful Hudson Valley in New York State. After many years of practicing law, she semi-retired her briefcase to write. Her bestselling SEATS Theater Guide series, New York and Chicago, was written with her father, Sandy Millman, almost 20 years ago.
Her award-winning debut thriller, THE MIDNIGHT CALL, was published by Immortal Works in June 2019. It is the recip