Start by marking “The Kingdom of Back” as Want to Read:

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  11,599 ratings  ·  2,948 reviews
Born with a gift for music, Nannerl Mozart has just one wish: to be remembered forever. But even as she delights audiences with her masterful playing, she has little hope she'll ever become the acclaimed composer she longs to be. She is a young woman in eighteenth-century Europe, and that means composing is forbidden to her. She will perform only until she reaches a marria ...more
Published March 3rd 2020 by Putnam/G. P. Putnam's Sons

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Mar 02, 2021
    Enter to win a paperback copy of THE KINGDOM OF BACK by #1 New York Times bestselling author Marie Lu!

(No PO boxes please)

From #1 New York Times bests

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 5 copies available, 11624 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Feb 02 - Mar 01, 2021

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Kingdom of Back, please sign up.
    ella areleah It will be out as a hardcover and Ebook on March 3, 2020. It is not specified when it will come out on paperback.
    The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne CollinsChain of Gold by Cassandra ClareOne of Us Is Next by Karen M. McManusA ​Sky Beyond the Storm by Sabaa TahirImagine Me by Tahereh Mafi
    YA Novels of 2020
    790 books — 2,892 voters
    House of Earth and Blood by Sarah J. MaasAmerican Dirt by Jeanine CumminsThe House in the Cerulean Sea by T.J. KluneThe Vanishing Half by Brit BennettBeach Read by Emily Henry
    Best books of 2020
    1,054 books — 1,303 voters

More lists with this book...

·  11,599 ratings  ·  2,948 reviews

Start your review of The Kingdom of Back
    Emily May
    Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: fantasy, young-adult, 2020

Without a doubt, this is Marie Lu's most fascinating book to date.

In school, we studied Virginia Woolf's concept of the fictional "Shakespeare's sister". In A Room of One's Own, Woolf imagines that Shakespeare had a sister who was as talented, as imaginative, as capable as her brother, but because she was a woman, she had to stay home. She never had the opportunities Sh
    Miranda Reads
    description

OHMYGOSH. Goodreads Choice Nominees are here and...I couldn't resist a Reaction Video! Don't forget to vote!

Annnd here's my original reaction to this book!

description

A new BookTube Video is Up all about whether you should buy, borrow or burn 2020 YA books! Let me know what you think!
    The Written Review
    description

There's two Mozarts, but the world remembered only one of them.
    NReads
    Oct 13, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Who spread the rumor that Marie Lu has replicated herself and the army of hers is going to attack us with a million books during the upcoming years?
    jessica
    Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
    i love it when stories have the power to inspire action. i love that feeling when you turn the last page and you arent ready to let go of the story just yet, so you do something to make its presence linger, to keep the story in your heart just a little longer.

this made me pick up my violin, which i havent touched in about a year, and play one of mozarts violin concertos that i learned when i was a teenager. it was a struggle, but i loved that this story motivated me to do that.

i think fans of
    megs_bookrack
    Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    **4.5-stars rounded up**

In the Author's Note for The Kingdom of Back, Marie Lu tells of her real-life inspiration for this story.

A book over a decade in the making, you can tell Lu poured her heart and soul into this project.

Known for her complex and forward-thinking YA Science-Fiction, she takes a sharp turn with The Kingdom of Back, a subtly Dark Fantasy with lyrical prose.

Even though this is not her typical story, I think it shines an extremely bright light on Lu's level of skill as a write
    Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
    UPDATE: $2.99 on kindle US today 10/1/29

This came in my March Owlcrate. Pretty silver, shimery edges. And candle, socks, notecard, Art, lip balm, etc.

Omg! I had no idea Mozart had a sister that was just as talented, but held back for being a girl. Girls weren’t allowed to compose!!

Marie talks about this in her acknowledgments so read that as well. She’s added some fantasy to the world with a bit of truth. I’m thoroughly impressed and enjoyed the book!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
    Hamad
    This Review ✍️ Blog 📖 Twitter 🐦 Instagram 📷

When I started reading this book, I remembered why I used to enjoy Marie’s books so much! The writing at the beginning of this book is just superb! Marie is an awesome author who is one of the few unproblematic authors and that’s why I like reading her works!

There are many things that I am to blame for: The fact that
    Cardan Greenbriar
    “But be wary of what you wish for,” he went on. “Wishes have a habit of surprising their makers.”

I SHIT YOU NOT THIS BOOK REMINDS ME OF MY KINGDOM
    and me

What great injustice that after 4 days of release this book only has less than 400 ratings
    Who set the date similar to another *ahem* overly hyped book's release date?
    anyway
    talk about a motherfucking book hangover

I am such a mess that i don't even know how to properly review

I have never cried this much during a happy ending

So our very belove
    Claudia Ramírez
    Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2020
    Vibur
    Jun 29, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    (The sad violinist in me realising she has no talent after reading this novel.)

First off, the writing, wow. All I want to say is, if I was to choose a colour to characterise the writing, it'd most assuredly be blue. All the impossibly beautiful shades of blue, all its vibrancy and subtlety imbued, to paint the deepest of seas and palest of winter snow.
    In all honesty, I should've loved this novel. And I'd have loved if it was a historical fiction rather than a fantasy. At times, the magical reali
    Mara YA Mood Reader
    10/1/2020: $2.99 on Kindle US today

3/29/2020: Well that was depressing. A sad story, beautifully told. And so unlike most YA Historical Fiction/Fantasy, it was most refreshing.

The Kingdom of Back was not at all what I expected it to be. And I suppose that was the saving grace in my experience. Although, still, I was not especially enthralled.

The YA genre needs books like this though. Wether it not be much in my tastes, it is true that the genre is often filled with unrealistically ridiculous r
    Simona B
    Feb 10, 2017 marked it as wishlist  ·  review of another edition
    I think new series should be kept secret until, say, six moths before the release, especially if it's an author like Marie Lu we're talking about, because jeez, my heart plummets when I look at that hideous "Expected publication: 2019". Just sayin'. ...more
    Nilufer Ozmekik
    Dec 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    This is breathtaking! A fresh creative approach: dark fairy tale meets historical fiction based on true events.

Let’s meet with Nannerl Mozart : Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart’s not so much known sister who is also a musical prodigy, having only one important wish: to be remembered forever with her talent! She can attract attention of huge audience’s with magical fingers playing with piano keys, touching your soul softly and reaching to your deepest feelings, melting your heart with tunes.

But she was
    Sofia
    Might as well get this started.

took pain killer meds due to back bag. I know look exactly like this gif. excepts I'm a man. not a Little girl. - GIF on Imgur

I am so underwhelmed by that terrible ending that I kind of resent this book now. It was good, sure, but it wasn't anything too special, and the characters certainly don't help.

Nannerl was Mozart's sister who faded out of history due to her status as a woman in the 1700s. But she was actually a child prodigy as well, and composed many pieces, none of which have survived. We only know of these compositions because of her letters to her brother. But as soon as she
    Samantha
    Apr 25, 2020 rated it liked it
    If you enjoy sibling stories and classical music, this may be one you’ll want to pick up. It reminded me a lot of Wintersong by S Jae Jones, but with no romance. It has that same kind of darker fairy tale element to it, with the theme of music and family bonds.
    Ashley
    Star Rating: —> 4 Stars

What a wonderful fairytale filled with all the ingredients to make a story an absolutely joyous adventure to read!

This made me feel like I was a little girl again, in one corner of the house or another, reading in the sunlight.

Truly a beautifully and elegantly woven tale, about Nannerl Mozart, the brilliant sister that time almost left forgotten, & her brother Wolfgang, their secret kingdom, music, faeries, magic, & most of all, love.

💙
    Sylvie
    3.75

This was one of the most magical books I've read!

Review will be posted very soon.
    Tani
    Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    RATINGS: 2.5 STARS

"Look hard enough, Fräulein, and the kingdom will show you every truth that your world doesn't."

Kingdom of Back is a historical retelling of the Mozart siblings, Nannerl and Woferl, with faeries. It's magical realism. Although the concept of the book had much potential, it misses it's mark. It's predictable and dismal.

The story is based upon the childhood of Marianne 'Nannerl' Mozart and Wolfgang 'Wolferl' Mozart. Like her brother, Nannerl has talent of music and composure.
    Candace Robinson
    I wasn’t sure what to expect when I started this. I also knew nothing about Wolfgang Mozart besides him being a famous pianist. As for Nannerl, I had never heard of her! As the pages turned, I wanted to know more about them! Not just in the story, but in real life as well! I was pleasantly surprised about how much I loved this!

Nannerl was a girl I truly felt for, especially during this time where women weren’t truly equals. But her brother, Wolfgang, AKA Wolferl, was so freaking adorable, cute,
    Mary S. R.
    Jun 29, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Recommended to Mary by: Mozart, who'd you think?
    To be remembered in this world, she created another.

Thou who hath pranced amidst this land,
    Thou who hath walked upon thy hand,
    And thou who hath danced on the river's strand...

Behold my quietus, my quiet stand!
    Behold these tears and please withstand,
    My wailing and waning and weening, and,
    Behold my death—of thee, I demand!

Oh lo and behold my life so damned,
    And watch my dawning demise, so grand;
    Then seize my murderer, oh that I command—
    Bury and bind the book in this sand,
    Within my grave, this durin
    Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
    Jan 12, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: fantasy
    "Perfect for fans of The Hazel Wood"

***********
    Kingdom of Back? Like is everyone a spine?

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
    Jananie (thisstoryaintover)
    THIS WAS ENCHANTING. Hands down one of my favourite books EVER. Haunting, lyrical, and beautifully written. This might even be my favourite Marie Lu book ever. It's definitely more literary than her other books and also one that could appeal to any age, young or old. Highly recommend!! ...more
    Amy Imogene Reads
    Two siblings. Two brilliant talents. But only one Mozart.

Concept: ★★★★★
    Magical elements: ★★★
    Pacing: ★★ 1/2
    Emotional resonance: ★★★★

Everyone knows of Mozart. The brother, that is. How many of us know the history of Mozart's talented older sister, Nannerl?

The Kingdom of Back is a soft, fantastical portrait of the historical lives of Nannerl and Amadeus during their childhood in Austria. Following Nannerl, it imagines the childhood of a girl—one given amazing musical talents, and yet born during a
    Natalie Monroe

“I am the sister, the other Mozart. And her story is mine.”

The Kingdom of Back is different from anything Lu has written in the past, which is likely why I enjoyed it so much. It's a breath of fresh air. This standalone novel's much quieter, devoid of the typical action scenes found in the Legend series, The Young Elites trilogy, and the Warcross duology. It is nonetheless powerful, a tragically accurate portrayal of a gifted musician barred from fame because of her gender.

“Help
    Helena of Eretz ✰
    I received this complimentary ARC from the publisher, in exchange for an honest review.

"I wrote this book for the Nannerls of today and tomorrow, in the hopes that when they are ready to share their brilliance of the world, the world will be ready to give them the attention and honour that they deserve."

I love the message behind this book, but I didn't love the book itself. I enjoyed the side quests that took place in the Kingdom of Back most of all, but I do think that the inclusion of the fant
    Zoë ☆
    THIS WAS FREAKING AMAZING, I’m crying right now it was so beautiful 😩😢💗
    Go read this!!
    ----
    The Kingdom of Back is SUCH a beautiful and enchanting read! I LOVED the magical world so much, and the combination with historical fiction made it an amazing and PERFECT read for me! The best thing about this book though was easily the writing. It was so enchanting and wonderful to read. Whenever I picked up the book, I was completely sucked into the world!

Thinking back on it (I finished it almost a week
    Yas
    Sep 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Read for the Bratz Readathon!
    Challenge: Beauty and Brains

The writing for this book is nothing short of lyrical.

It’s something that will warm you, even with it’s cool shades of blue. The writing will captivate you in a way no other book could. Marie Lu was able to get across and accomplish everything that I had expected from this book and so, so much more.

It’s a cresce
    Althea | themoonwholistens ☾
    My fingers are literally itching to get my violin and search my folders for a Mozart piece to practice. Which probably won't be hard to find.

“What you offer me… I have already achieved.”

This is a perfectly balanced book with magical and realistic elements that made me both want to float away to the Kingdom of Back but also reminded me just how important giving equal opportunity to everyone, no matter their gender, race, etc. is.

It puts a magical twist on real events in history that we probab
    Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
    Thank you Penguin International for the gifted copy of The Kingdom of Back!

The Kingdom of Back is the first book by Marie Lu that I've read. Historical fiction isn't a genre I usually read. My first one was The Gilded Wolves by Roshani Chokshi and it's one of my favorite books of all time! So I went into this one with an open mind and I was pretty excited to try it out. The best way to describe this book is historical fiction with a hint of wild magic.

Marie Lu has wonderful writing. Her writing
    may ➹
    Mar 22, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    yes, I say Mozart is my favorite composer and in actuality only know a few of his songs, we exist

• Starsight (Skyward, #2)
    • A Queen in Hiding (The Nine Realms, #1)
    • The Good Luck Girls (The Good Luck Girls, #1)
    • The Sun Down Motel
    • The Tyrant’s Tomb (The Trials of Apollo, #4)
    • The Beast of Beswick (Everleigh Sisters, #1)
    • Fence, Vol. 3
    • The Map from Here to There (The Start of Me and You, #2)
    • The Unspoken Name (The Serpent Gates, #1)
    • Today Tonight Tomorrow
    • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
    • Trace of Evil (Natalie Lockhart, #1)
    • American Dirt
    • Foul Is Fair
    • Call It What You Want
    • Soul of the Sword (Shadow of the Fox, #2)
    • Sword and Pen (The Great Library, #5)
    • Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place, #1)
    [Note: Many apologies, but I'm woefully bad at checking my Goodreads emails! If you'd like to send a note/msg, please catch me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Marie_Lu . Thanks!]

I write young adult novels, and have a special love for dystopian books. Ironically, I was born in 1984. Before becoming a full-time writer, I was an Art Director at a video game company. Now I shuffle around at home and ta

Articles featuring this book

Ellen Oh is an award-winning author of middle grade and young adult novels such as Spirit Hunters, The Dragon Egg Princess, and A Thousand...
    “I am going to tell you a story you already know. But listen carefully, because within it is one you have never heard before.” 36 likes
    “Speak for those less fortunate than yourself, who will need your help. Speak for the ones who will come after you, looking to you for guidance. Stay true, daughter. One day, you will see it all go up in flames.” 27 likes