Start by marking “Life in the Third Reich” as Want to Read:
Life in the Third Reich

Life in the Third Reich

Even today, the Third Reich--the regime that instigated the most destructive war in modern history--evokes powerful images of fascination and horror. Yet how were the lives of the ordinary German people of the 1930s and '40s affected by the politics of Hitler and his followers? Looking beyond the catalog of events, this intriguing book reveals that daily German life involv ...more
Published December 20th 2001 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Life in the Third Reich, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life in the Third Reich

Start your review of Life in the Third Reich
Ensiform
Nov 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A collection of essays on Nazi Germany, edited and with an intro by Richard Bessel. As a whole, the collection is concerned with refuting some myths about the Third Reich: its emphasis on law and order and its bureaucratic nature, for example. In general, the essays lack direction and cohesion, often fail to give specific examples to their points and --- maddeningly --- fail to cite their quotes. The essays are:

"Political Violence And the Nazi Seizure Of Power," Richard Bessel. This essay attack
Liz Estrada
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Would have given this book, a compilation of essays about life in Nazi Germany, a two star review (for most of it was already known to me) were it not for the chapter on the youth in the 3rd Reich. I did not realize to what degree the young people who lived under this regime actually rebelled. I had never heard of the "Edelweiss Pirates" or the "Swing" movement, both rebelling against the compulsory Hitler Youth conscription. The former of the two, was mainly a group formed by young kids from wo ...more
Marisa
Dec 01, 2012 added it
Shelves: history
my history professor in college told me to "know the story from every angle- including the ones no one wants you to ever read/see/hear/know/etc.. It really takes you somewhere when you read how someone manages to go from "ordinariness" to things being turned upside down. If you read nothing else in this book, you should read the essay "Youth in the Third Reich" by Detlev Peukert. The book is only about about 100 pages long.
Ronan Mcdonnell
I picked this up, expecting an everyperson, man-in-street, rank and file perspective of Nazi Germany. What I got were a collection of broadly scoped essays containing little new info, some generalisations, no references and from very elevated panoramas. The piece by Detlev Peukert on youth movements was a revelation, one abive the other essays.
Lobstergirl
May 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lobstergirl by: Dr. Wayne Fiscus
Shelves: european-history

There's an error in Professor William Carr's essay, "Nazi Policy Against the Jews." He writes that "Franklin Roosevelt withdrew Ambassador Dodds from Berlin" after Kristallnacht (as a protest). First, it's Dodd, not Dodds; second, William Dodd resigned as ambassador in 1937. FDR withdrew his replacement Hugh Wilson.
Charles
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wwii-holocaust
The further from V-E day we get, the more striated and detailed the analyses become. Bessel's compendium of essays furthers our understanding of the rise and reign of the Third Reich -- society, the persona of Hitler to the German people, the use of political violence, the campaign against the Jews. Lucid writing throughout.
Melissa Kelly
Jun 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Provides interesting information to answer the question "How did the German population let the holocaust occur?" However, it also presents more questions that leave me wanting to read more on this topic.
Trish
Apr 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: history-military
A very interesting collection of essays discussing some of the less-considered areas of Third Reich history.
Allison6876
Jun 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Read for HIST 3528
Alexandra
A fascinating subject, but the presentation of a collection of essays was just too academic (and I tend toward the academic as it is) to get into.
Shakira Rivera
Kevin
Feb 27, 2009
Amy
Apr 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
An interesting look at the Third Reich, a bit old, but otherwise not bad :)
Allison Lynn
Mar 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Crazy Heart
  • The American Spirit: Who We Are and What We Stand For
  • Evolutionary Writings: Including the Autobiographies (World's Classics)
  • Work Rules!: Insights from Inside Google That Will Transform How You Live and Lead
  • Blood Meridian, or the Evening Redness in the West
  • No Country for Old Men
  • The American Peril (Hardcore History, #49)
  • Blueprint for Armageddon (Hardcore History, #50-55)
  • Prophets of Doom (Hardcore History, #48)
  • Death Throes of the Republic (Hardcore History, #34-39)
  • Supernova in the East I- (Hardcore History, #62-)
  • Remembering to Forget: Holocaust Memory through the Camera's Eye
  • Nazism and German Society, 1933-1945
  • In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin
  • Survival in Auschwitz
Richard Bessel is Professor of Twentieth Century History. He works on the social and political history of modern Germany, the aftermath of the two world wars and the history of policing. He is a member of the Editorial Boards of German History and History Today.

He is currently a Senior Fellow at the Freiburg Institute for Advanced Studies.

News & Interviews