Start by marking “Violet” as Want to Read:
Violet

Violet

When two strangers end up sharing a cabin on the Trans-Siberian Express, an intense friendship develops, one that can only have one ending … a nerve-shattering psychological thriller from bestselling author SJI Holliday

Carrie's best friend has an accident and can no longer make the round-the-world trip they'd planned together, so Carrie decides to go it alone.

Violet is als
Published November 14th 2019 by Orenda Books

To ask other readers questions about Violet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Violet

Start your review of Violet
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
It's official people...this book put the psycho in psychological thriller! This book is a 5 star read from page one! This author has quickly become a "must read" author for me, as I finished up my first book by her - The Lingering a couple of weeks ago and I had to get my hands on Violet. WOW is all I can say! Let's just say crazy just met crazier!

Violet and Carrie are complete strangers both traveling the world. Violet feeling very vulnerable and desperate after being dumped by her boyfriend. C
Mark
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Be careful of strangers
Be wary who you speak to
Be even more careful of strangers you speak to who you become ‘bezzie friends’ with overnight

A cautionary and exciting tale of Violet and Carrie who, because of varying circumstances, meet in a travel agency in China and decide, as ‘suits’ them both to travel on the Trans Siberia Express across to Mongolia and Russia
Both are psychopath’s
Neither know the the other is but as the obsession between them builds so does the body count and as one leaves
Miriam Smith
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tbc, kept-book, orenda
After having read some fabulous reviews for “Violet” by Scottish author SJI Holliday I was over the moon to be able to read this book for myself. Having read Susi’s previous novels “The Banktoun Trilogy” and thoroughly enjoyed, I knew that this book was going to be an entertaining read that would have me addicted from the very first page.
The premise of “Violet” has a “Single, White Female” feel to it and since Violet and Carrie meet on a journey whilst travelling alone abroad, there will be a lo
Sue
VIOLET is a Psychological Thriller by Scottish author SJI Holliday. This is the first book I have read by this author and it won’t be the last. This novel is a winner!

Violet is sitting alone in Thailand outside the Beijing international train station, after having a falling out with her boyfriend, Sam. She is desperate for a ticket on the Tran-Siberian Express, but there is nothing available. Violet’s plan is to loop back via China and the Trans-Siberian Express to Moscow, before flying home to
The Tattooed Book Geek (Drew).
As always this review can also be found on my blog The Tattooed Book Geek: https://thetattooedbookgeek.wordpress...

Violet and Carrie are thrown together by fate when they meet in a random encounter in a Beijing hotel. Carrie has a spare train ticket and Violet needs a ticket. They get talking at the bar, get on well over an evening of drinks and there seems to be a connection between them. The chance meeting ends with Carrie offering Violet her spare ticket and the pair escaping the pain of brea
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
As soon as I picked this book up I was compelled to read it. I ended up reading it in one afternoon as I was curious to get to know Violet and Carrie better.

Both women I have to say are very brave to be travelling alone. It’s something I would have loved to have done in my younger years but even then I would never have done it alone. To be so far from home in strange countries, it both excited and scared me. Who knows what dangers are out there.

At times the story feels slightly claustrophobic as
Shalini
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book was a double whammy, things happened when I least expected. And boy, did it shake me in my boots. I still had goosebumps while writing the review.

“Never talk to strangers on a train in a strange land"

2 girls, Carrie and Violet, met and decided to share a cabin on the Trans Siberian Express to travel to Russia via Mangolia. Sounds good? I thought so too. What can go wrong, you ask? Actually, now that I ponder about it, nothing much did go wrong, but nothing went right too. There was jus
TMR
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 17/18
Violet.

A simple name.

You'd think this was a start to some cheesy romantic suspense thriller.

But once again I was proven wrong. And this author did it so well, I'll forever feel blessed to have read this author and her novel.

Truly a one of kind concept introduced, which I couldn't help but dive into even deeper out of sheer curiosity and to trust my gut feelings meanwhile. I am so happy I trusted my gut feelings and even indulge my curiosity while reading this novel.

The characters were all s
Linda Strong
Carrie's best friend was supposed to be traveling with her. But the friend had an accident and cannot make the round-the-world trip.

Violet is also traveling alone, after having a huge fight with her boyfriend.

The two women meet in a Beijing Hotel, have a few drinks together, a few laughs together and decide they are compatible and will be each other's traveling partner.

One of the women has a big secret ... she's not who she claims to be.

This is a well written, highly suspenseful thriller dealing
Becca
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was a spontaneous buy from Amazon, on my Kindle, based on a recommendation I saw on Instagram. I'm glad I saw the post and downloaded this psychological thriller from SJI Holliday.

Violet is about a lone woman traveller, called Violet (!), and her experiences on her world travels. Along the way we meet Carrie and the story is mainly focused around this blossoming 'friendship'. We also learn about Sam and Michael and Greg and Laura. All people that have crossed paths, in some way, with Vi
Thebooktrail
Violet by susi holliday

Travel to the locations in the novel Violet

Ha! Well even before I do the BookTrail for this and the full review, I just want to say how blinking brilliant this book is. Meeting someone backpacking and tagging along on their journey sounds fun right? Oh it's so twisty and dark in the hands of Miss Holliday!

I was applauding this throughout and especially at the end! Deliciously dark and a dam good read too. Just read Louise Beech's 5 star review. I second that!

FULL REVIEW
shreya ☂ (on hiatus)
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Recommended to shreya ☂ (on hiatus) by: Priyanka Spriha
Well, I thought there was a lot of potential for me to enjoy this book and I did while I read the first few pages and then, the last few pages. Other than that, it felt a bit bland to me. The plot, like I said had a lot of potential to be a five star read, no doubt but somehow the execution was a miss for me.

We are inside the head of Violet and the only way we get to know Carrie's thoughts are through her emails to Laura where she time to time describes what's happening. Violet goes from a bit
Kath
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had an absolute blast reading this book - most notably for the trip down memory lane it gave me which had me reminiscing about the two overnight train rides between Berlin and Krakow that I took many years ago - flashbacks to the border guards waking us up to check ID etc in the wee small hours!
We follow two young women as they are travelling abroad. For different reasons, they are both solo when they meet at the Beijing ticket office where they service the Trans-Siberian Express. One has a s
Rachel Hall
Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Alone in Beijing and regretting leaving her boyfriend behind in Bangkok, Violet is missing the easy familiarity and sense of safety in a place crammed with friendly backpackers. The bustling metropolis of Beijing feels entirely alien and with all tickets for the Trans-Siberian Express to Moscow sold out she is facing a miserable night alone. So when she overhears a fellow traveller at the ticket desk with a spare ticket she engineers an introduction. Meeting Carrie, left with a spare ticket afte ...more
Ludwig Reads
Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

“I like what I’ve seen so far. I want to get to know her better”

I liked this one. VIOLET is sort of a female version of Highsmith's Strangers On A Train, combined with a "The Talented Mr Ripley" vibe, which I tremendously enjoyed. However, the space between the beginning and the gripping and twisty ending, I felt there were few meaningful events taking place, overshadowed by ones detailing accounts of nights outs and lots of partying, drugs, etc.

I just hoped that those sections were r
Louise Beech
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bloody excellent.
Lel Budge
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anne-cater
Violet has split up from boyfriend Sam in Thailand, so decides to continue her backpacking trip alone. She’s planning on visiting Russia via the trans-Siberian railway but is too late to get a ticket…so getting a drink to wonder what to do next, she meets Carrie, also travelling alone….she has a spare ticket too.

So, they decide to travel together…..

They visit Mongolia, take part in a weird ritual and they get closer……but is this a bit one sided?

Violet is smitten, but events in Russia lead to vio
Mandy
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well what a read! Violet and Cassie are both backpacking alone due to different circumstances, meet up in Beijing and decide to continue their adventure together. From here things get decidedly disturbing and you know that very bad things are about to happen which keep you turning the pages. I read this in two sittings and it was hard to put it down. It's a tale of travel, partying, obsession and very chilling characters you really love to hate.

The story is written from the POV of Violet but we
Liz Barnsley
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review to follow for the tour.
Tamar
Feb 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Okay....i'm halfway through and i haven't hit the twisty, psycho or thriller part yet (except in the prologue) and what is worse i always thought that Imogen Church could read a telephone book and i would still swoon at her feet, but even she doesn't really get me excited with this book yet. I'm going to trust my friends' reviews and I have already decided on a great twisty pscho-like possible development so i'm hanging in there to see if i'm right, or better yet, I hope she surprises me and kno ...more
Tripfiction
Psychological thriller set along the route of the Trans Siberian Express

This disturbing thriller opens in Beijing where Violet has landed after her relationship with Sam ended in Australia. She is trying to buy a ticket for the Trans-Siberian Express, leaving the next morning but she is thwarted. Carrie, who is also on her travels, happens to have a spare ticket, as her erstwhile travelling companion has broken her leg and is unable to travel. And thus Violet and Carrie head off together on thei
Karen Mace
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Seeing these characters evolve and show their true colours throughout this book has been the icing on the cake for me in this very twisted thriller, and although it might have put me off ever going off on back packing holiday on the Trans-Siberian express, I've loved every single minute I spent on this 'journey'!!

Carrie is travelling alone around the world and has a spare ticket for the Trans-Siberian Express, so when she meets Violet, another lone traveller, it seems that fate has brought them
Karen
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beccy Thompson
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from TBC Reviewers request- Thank you
Wow what a book! I know that psychopaths are on every path of life (we read enough about them) however I’d never really considered the odds or the situation of 2 meeting each other.
You can’t like either Carrie or Violet but you somehow ‘like’ their situation. It’s dark and twisted but totally grips the reader. This is definitely a finish in one sitting book!
A cracking read
Kat
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“Violet” is an engrossing and absolutely terrific thriller about obsession, manipulation and toxic friendships. It’s a compelling story of two complete strangers who meet in a Beijing hotel and decide to continue their travels together. Their journey is induced with alcohol, drugs and dark secrets and we get to know their murky past as we follow them through various countries.

The characters are fantastic, complex and well written. I could say from the start that both women are damaged by their
Kelly Van Damme
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you look at it purely as entertainment, Violet is oodles of fun: it’s super entertaining, it’s suspenseful, it has some fun little twists that managed to simultaneously fool me and make a fool out of me, because there I was, convinced I was soooo clever, seeing things coming, while actually I was following a red herring and things turned out quite differently.

On a deeper level though, Violet is dark and disturbing and I got a little uncomfortable reading it because of the plausibility of it a
Kath Middleton
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This felt, to me, like a book of two halves. The first half plodded a little. The second half flew and I really got my teeth into it and couldn’t wait to read more. The author has pulled off that difficult trick of having an unlikeable protagonist. Violet becomes more unlovable the more we read and the more of herself that she reveals. The tangles of her life are revealed in the second half and this is where it really took off, for me. A very enjoyable read.
Kate Henderson
Sep 23, 2019 rated it liked it
So I enjoyed this book. I liked it. I just didn’t love it.
I found it slightly repetitive at times. Numerous parties - just at different locations. The parties got a little tedious after a while.
The atmosphere the author creates is fab though. The whole time I felt on edge, knowing something wasn’t quite right. I could really imagine the different locations too. Brilliant descriptive writing.
The book felt similar to The Talented Mr Ripley at times.

I definitely would read more from this author
Olga
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Violet is an interesting and atmospheric story told by a fabulously creepy unreliable narrator. The emails between the chapters were a nice touch and added a welcome variety to the story, which was a little repetitive at times. The mood and ambience of the places Violet went through were vivid and realistic, and in my opinion they were the strength of this book, which otherwise wasn't the most original.
David Harris
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm grateful to Orenda Books for a free copy of Violet for review.

This is a story of two young women. Violet walked out on her boyfriend Sam, leaving him in Vietnam and travelling to Beijing to find something better (but losing half her luggage en route). It seems Sam just wasn't the man she thought he was...

Carrie set out on the holiday of a lifetime - but without her best friend Laura, who was going to come with her. Laura had an unfortunate accident back in Edinburgh involving drink, cobblest
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Missing Book cover on Kindle version 3 18 Oct 10, 2019 06:23AM

• Nothing Important Happened Today (Detective Sergeant Pace, #2)
  • Beast (Six Stories, #4)
  • In the Absence of Miracles
  • The Home
  • Hinton Hollow Death Trip (Detective Sergeant Pace #3)
  • A Dark Matter
  • I Am Dust
  • We Met in December
  • Simon Says
  • So Lucky
  • Black River
  • Moorings (DI Tanner #3)
  • The Angel Monument
  • The Big Chill
  • One Of Us (The Village Book, #3)
  • Death By Indulgence (Second Chance Investigations, #1)
  • To Keep You Safe
Librarian Note: Also writes under the name Susi Holliday.

Susi (S.J.I.) Holliday grew up near Edinburgh and spent many years working in her family’s newsagent and pub before studying microbiology and statistics at university. She has worked as a statistician in the pharmaceutical industry for 20 years, but it was on a 6-month round-the-world-trip that she took with her husband several years ago tha

News & Interviews