Start by marking “Violet” as Want to Read:
Violet

Violet

When two strangers end up sharing a cabin on the Trans-Siberian Express, an intense friendship develops, one that can only have one ending … a nerve-shattering psychological thriller from bestselling author SJI Holliday

Carrie's best friend has an accident and can no longer make the round-the-world trip they'd planned together, so Carrie decides to go it alone.

Violet is
Published November 14th 2019 by Orenda Books

To ask other readers questions about Violet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Violet

Start your review of Violet
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
It's official people...this book put the psycho in psychological thriller! This book is a 5 star read from page one! This author has quickly become a "must read" author for me, as I finished up my first book by her - The Lingering a couple of weeks ago and I had to get my hands on Violet. WOW is all I can say! Let's just say crazy just met crazier!

Violet and Carrie are complete strangers both traveling the world. Violet feeling very vulnerable and desperate after being dumped by her boyfriend.
Mark
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Be careful of strangers
Be wary who you speak to
Be even more careful of strangers you speak to who you become ‘bezzie friends’ with overnight

A cautionary and exciting tale of Violet and Carrie who, because of varying circumstances, meet in a travel agency in China and decide, as ‘suits’ them both to travel on the Trans Siberia Express across to Mongolia and Russia
Both are psychopath’s
Neither know the the other is but as the obsession between them builds so does the body count and as one leaves
Miriam Smith
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kept-book, orenda, tbc
After having read some fabulous reviews for “Violet” by Scottish author SJI Holliday I was over the moon to be able to read this book for myself. Having read Susi’s previous novels “The Banktoun Trilogy” and thoroughly enjoyed, I knew that this book was going to be an entertaining read that would have me addicted from the very first page.
The premise of “Violet” has a “Single, White Female” feel to it and since Violet and Carrie meet on a journey whilst travelling alone abroad, there will be a
Sue
VIOLET is a Psychological Thriller by Scottish author SJI Holliday. This is the first book I have read by this author and it won’t be the last. This novel is a winner!

Violet is sitting alone in Thailand outside the Beijing international train station, after having a falling out with her boyfriend, Sam. She is desperate for a ticket on the Tran-Siberian Express, but there is nothing available. Violet’s plan is to loop back via China and the Trans-Siberian Express to Moscow, before flying home to
The Tattooed Book Geek (Drew).
As always this review can also be found on my blog The Tattooed Book Geek: https://thetattooedbookgeek.wordpress...

Violet and Carrie are thrown together by fate when they meet in a random encounter in a Beijing hotel. Carrie has a spare train ticket and Violet needs a ticket. They get talking at the bar, get on well over an evening of drinks and there seems to be a connection between them. The chance meeting ends with Carrie offering Violet her spare ticket and the pair escaping the pain of
Shalini
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book was a double whammy, things happened when I least expected. And boy, did it shake me in my boots. I still had goosebumps while writing the review.

“Never talk to strangers on a train in a strange land"

2 girls, Carrie and Violet, met and decided to share a cabin on the Trans Siberian Express to travel to Russia via Mangolia. Sounds good? I thought so too. What can go wrong, you ask? Actually, now that I ponder about it, nothing much did go wrong, but nothing went right too. There was
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
As soon as I picked this book up I was compelled to read it. I ended up reading it in one afternoon as I was curious to get to know Violet and Carrie better.

Both women I have to say are very brave to be travelling alone. It’s something I would have loved to have done in my younger years but even then I would never have done it alone. To be so far from home in strange countries, it both excited and scared me. Who knows what dangers are out there.

At times the story feels slightly claustrophobic as
Linda Strong
Carrie's best friend was supposed to be traveling with her. But the friend had an accident and cannot make the round-the-world trip.

Violet is also traveling alone, after having a huge fight with her boyfriend.

The two women meet in a Beijing Hotel, have a few drinks together, a few laughs together and decide they are compatible and will be each other's traveling partner.

One of the women has a big secret ... she's not who she claims to be.

This is a well written, highly suspenseful thriller dealing
Kath
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had an absolute blast reading this book - most notably for the trip down memory lane it gave me which had me reminiscing about the two overnight train rides between Berlin and Krakow that I took many years ago - flashbacks to the border guards waking us up to check ID etc in the wee small hours!
We follow two young women as they are travelling abroad. For different reasons, they are both solo when they meet at the Beijing ticket office where they service the Trans-Siberian Express. One has a
Thebooktrail
Violet by susi holliday

Travel to the locations in the novel Violet

Ha! Well even before I do the BookTrail for this and the full review, I just want to say how blinking brilliant this book is. Meeting someone backpacking and tagging along on their journey sounds fun right? Oh it's so twisty and dark in the hands of Miss Holliday!

I was applauding this throughout and especially at the end! Deliciously dark and a dam good read too. Just read Louise Beech's 5 star review. I second that!

FULL REVIEW
Rachel Hall
Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Alone in Beijing and regretting leaving her boyfriend behind in Bangkok, Violet is missing the easy familiarity and sense of safety in a place crammed with friendly backpackers. The bustling metropolis of Beijing feels entirely alien and with all tickets for the Trans-Siberian Express to Moscow sold out she is facing a miserable night alone. So when she overhears a fellow traveller at the ticket desk with a spare ticket she engineers an introduction. Meeting Carrie, left with a spare ticket ...more
Louise Beech
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bloody excellent.
Lel Budge
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anne-cater
Violet has split up from boyfriend Sam in Thailand, so decides to continue her backpacking trip alone. She’s planning on visiting Russia via the trans-Siberian railway but is too late to get a ticket…so getting a drink to wonder what to do next, she meets Carrie, also travelling alone….she has a spare ticket too.

So, they decide to travel together…..

They visit Mongolia, take part in a weird ritual and they get closer……but is this a bit one sided?

Violet is smitten, but events in Russia lead to
The Masked Reader
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 17/18
Violet.

A simple name.

You'd think this was a start to some cheesy romantic suspense thriller.

But once again I was proven wrong. And this author did it so well, I'll forever feel blessed to have read this author and her novel.

Truly a one of kind concept introduced, which I couldn't help but dive into even deeper out of sheer curiosity and to trust my gut feelings meanwhile. I am so happy I trusted my gut feelings and even indulge my curiosity while reading this novel.

The characters were all
Liz Barnsley
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review to follow for the tour.
Tripfiction
Psychological thriller set along the route of the Trans Siberian Express

This disturbing thriller opens in Beijing where Violet has landed after her relationship with Sam ended in Australia. She is trying to buy a ticket for the Trans-Siberian Express, leaving the next morning but she is thwarted. Carrie, who is also on her travels, happens to have a spare ticket, as her erstwhile travelling companion has broken her leg and is unable to travel. And thus Violet and Carrie head off together on
Karen
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beccy Thompson
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from TBC Reviewers request- Thank you
Wow what a book! I know that psychopaths are on every path of life (we read enough about them) however I’d never really considered the odds or the situation of 2 meeting each other.
You can’t like either Carrie or Violet but you somehow ‘like’ their situation. It’s dark and twisted but totally grips the reader. This is definitely a finish in one sitting book!
A cracking read
Kelly Van Damme
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you look at it purely as entertainment, Violet is oodles of fun: it’s super entertaining, it’s suspenseful, it has some fun little twists that managed to simultaneously fool me and make a fool out of me, because there I was, convinced I was soooo clever, seeing things coming, while actually I was following a red herring and things turned out quite differently.

On a deeper level though, Violet is dark and disturbing and I got a little uncomfortable reading it because of the plausibility of it
Kath Middleton
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This felt, to me, like a book of two halves. The first half plodded a little. The second half flew and I really got my teeth into it and couldn’t wait to read more. The author has pulled off that difficult trick of having an unlikeable protagonist. Violet becomes more unlovable the more we read and the more of herself that she reveals. The tangles of her life are revealed in the second half and this is where it really took off, for me. A very enjoyable read.
Kate Henderson
Sep 23, 2019 rated it liked it
So I enjoyed this book. I liked it. I just didn’t love it.
I found it slightly repetitive at times. Numerous parties - just at different locations. The parties got a little tedious after a while.
The atmosphere the author creates is fab though. The whole time I felt on edge, knowing something wasn’t quite right. I could really imagine the different locations too. Brilliant descriptive writing.
The book felt similar to The Talented Mr Ripley at times.

I definitely would read more from this author
Olga
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Violet is an interesting and atmospheric story told by a fabulously creepy unreliable narrator. The emails between the chapters were a nice touch and added a welcome variety to the story, which was a little repetitive at times. The mood and ambience of the places Violet went through were vivid and realistic, and in my opinion they were the strength of this book, which otherwise wasn't the most original.
Zoé-lee O'farrell

Remind me never ever to make friends with people again and never go travelling, I mean quite frankly the world has gone mad and if you read Violet you will agree! But I think I might quite like this world!!

I really was not sure what to expect from Violet, for one I thought we would have a book told from the point of view from Cassie and it be all about Violet that way. However, the book is told from Violet’s point of view which made the book a helluva lot more darker and intense, with snippets
Karen Cole
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My eldest daughter is a young adult and is hoping to be able to travel at some point. It's something I've always encouraged but Susi Holliday has put a halt to that! She's also made me question my own dream of going on an epic railway journey - after reading Violet I've decided it's much safer to stay at home and avoid any exchanges with strangers, ever...
Violet is a chilling psychological thriller which combines the dangerous hedonism of The Beach with the creepy obsession of Single White
Julie Morris
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is my first book by Susi Holliday, although I have had The Lingering…er, lingering on my TBR since last year. After reading this book, I will definitely be bumping that one to the top of the pile. This book grabbed me by the throat, gave me a good shake and refused to put me down until I reached the very last page, and I was practically holding my breath throughout the whole experience. This is one of those books that results in book lovers being accused of being anti-social by non-readers, ...more
Anne
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is no secret that I am a huge fan of SJI Holliday's writing. I've been reading her for years and the quality of her writing is always incredible.
Her books published by Orenda are a little different to her earlier works, and I adored the first Orenda book; The Lingering. I've been looking forward to Violet for a long time.

I practically inhaled this book in one sitting. I've had a miserable couple of weeks suffering with a nasty chest infection and Violet has really helped me through. The
Priya Shrinath
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The plot of this book is just that. Two strangers Carrie and Violet, both in their 30s, backpacking alone, meet while waiting for the Trans-Siberian Express. Both of them are looking for company for their long journey ahead, and hope to God that they're right for each other. The journey begins, and so does the tension between the ladies until everything shatters and true colors are revealed.

Now let's talk about the psychological elements that makes this book tense and terrifying as it is.

The
Nicola Smith
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed SJI Holliday's last book, The Lingering, and so I was excited to read Violet which is a really dark psychological thriller. What particularly appealed to me was the setting. Violet and Carrie first meet in Beijing. Both are travelling and Violet has just split from her boyfriend. Carrie is travelling alone because the friend she was supposed to be with has broken her leg. Violet needs a ticket for the Trans-Siberian Express and Carrie just happens to have one so they hook up and ...more
Alex (PaperbackPiano)
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is a great look at obsession and toxic friendships! Dare I say it, I may have actually enjoyed this book more than The Lingering! I'd say this one is more slow burning, with a tension that simmers from the very beginning. I couldn't put it down.

I was immediately captured by the opening of this story and I never felt bored for a second. I always enjoy reading about faraway places so I felt completely captivated by all the travel aspects of this book. I couldn't help feeling swept away
Melanie’s reads
Oh boy did I love this book. It has everything I want in a psychological thriller.

Palpable tension to the point I had to remind myself to breathe, wonderful vivid descriptions of the multiple settings , claustrophobia and dark delicious characters. But to me the clincher that really sealed the deal was the unreliable narration ( don’t do drugs kids) and Violet herself .

I bloody love it when women aren’t portrayed as victims but instead are the catalysts of complete and utter mayhem. I find it so
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Missing Book cover on Kindle version 3 16 Oct 10, 2019 06:23AM

• Nothing Important Happened Today
  • In the Absence of Miracles
  • The Family
  • Little Siberia
  • Búrið
  • Blood Song (Emily Roy & Alexis Castells #3)
  • Through the Wall
  • Dead Inside (Maggie Jamieson, #1)
  • A Deathly Silence (DCI Helen Lavery #3)
  • Ghoster
  • Savage Children (John Savage Action Thriller Book 3)
  • The Guardian of Lies
  • The Other Daughter
  • The Lost Ones
  • Rewind
  • Bone China
  • I Wanted You To Know: A powerful and life-affirming novel that will stay with you forever
  • The Closer I Get
Librarian Note: Also writes under the name Susi Holliday.

Susi (S.J.I.) Holliday grew up near Edinburgh and spent many years working in her family’s newsagent and pub before studying microbiology and statistics at university. She has worked as a statistician in the pharmaceutical industry for 20 years, but it was on a 6-month round-the-world-trip that she took with her husband several years ago