Start by marking “The Bat” as Want to Read:
The Bat

The Bat

Hilarious illustrated nonfiction about bats perfect for beginning readers. Conversational text and silly illustrations will have you up all night reading about the only flying mammal on Earth!

Fast bat facts:
* Distinctive trait: The only flying mammal
* Diet: Insects, fruit and even animal blood
* Special talent: Sleeping upside down

The Bat covers habitat (bats live
Published February 4th 2020 by Tundra Books (NY)

To ask other readers questions about The Bat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bat

Start your review of The Bat
La Coccinelle
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a cute non-fiction title for younger readers that's all about bats: what they eat, where they sleep, how they fly, and whether or not we should be afraid of them (we shouldn't). The simple illustrations featuring a fourth wall-breaking bat are fun and informative.

I already knew some of the information in this book, but I still learned quite a few things; kids will likely learn even more. This would be a great title for kids who are interested in the natural world, and in bats in
Morris
Another wonderful entry into the fun and informative Disgusting Creatures series. Elise Gravel has become one of my favorite children's authors. Highly recommended!

This unbiased review is based upon a complimentary copy provided by the publisher.
Alicia Bayer
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
A cute little informational book that teaches kids about bats with lots of facts and sweet illustrations.

Thanks Netgalley for the digital ARC.
Amy Layton
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Bats are incredible creatures--a valuable part of the ecosystem, they see via echolocation, they eat bugs, and above all else, they're quite handsome! A simple yet inviting book to educate about bats,The Bat makes for an entertaining and at times comical picture book. The bat aids in narrating this text, and helps younger readers stay involved. The illustrations are just darling, and the information about bats presented isn't too difficult to understand for even the earliest reader. A great, ...more
Tara
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this arc from NetGalley for an honest review. I love all of Elise Gravel's books about animals and this new one about bats is just as good. Lots of funny illustrations and great info for kids.
Etienne
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Elise gravel style of writing, drawing and humor, all in a informative book about bats. This informative/funny book combo isn't one of my favorite, but that is only personal, Children will probably learn and laugh and I can,t go against that!
Annie
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Originally published on my blog: Nonstop Reader.

The Bat is a cute nonfiction picture book aimed at youngsters showing the coolness and usefulness of bats. Originally published in 2016 in French, this English edition is due out 4th Feb 2020 from Penguin Random House on their Tundra imprint, has 32 pages and will be available in hardcover format.

The art is whimsical and appealing (see cover), and the text is fact based and scientifically accurate. The important ecological niches and functions
Storywraps
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love the whole vibe of this book! It's educational and also very humorous. Kid's will love the little personable CHIROPTERA ( the scientific name ) for a bat. He chats throughout the story giving the reader a wonderful sense of his witty personality and also an understanding of the true facts that are presented about him. It's a perfect combo for kids of all ages to learn about his uniqueness: that he hibernates, sleeps hanging upside down, and his special gift of echolocation just to name a ...more
Sharon Tyler
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Bat by Elise Gravel is an illustrated nonfiction book about bats perfect for beginning readers. It is currently scheduled for release on February 4 2020. This book uses conversational text and silly illustrations to teach readers about habitat (bats live everywhere except Antarctica!), species (there are over 1,200 kinds of bats), echolocation, hibernation (bats hibernate just like bears!), conservation (don't disturb a sleeping bat!) and much more. Although silly and off-the-wall, it ...more
Wayne McCoy
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
'The Bat' with words and illustrations by Elise Gravel is a fun nonfiction book for young readers.

On the first page, the bat is introduced. We learn facts about its fingers how many species there are. We learn what bats eat how they sleep.

The illustrations are fun. The facts are pretty cool. A young reader might need help with words like chiroptera, but that's part of the fun. It's a nicely written science book with lots of fun pictures.

I received a review copy of this ebook issue from Tundra
Amanda
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This picture book introduces facts about bats in a fun way! The illustrations are fun and engaging, with good scientific content behind it. Even the typeset adds interest, with different sizes and colors highlighting information.
I received a digital ARC from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.
Leigh
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was given this book for free from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I had never tried these books before, but they are just great. Gross enough to delight little boys but packed with good information and darlimg illustrations.

The bat was particularly endearing. Highly reccomend!
Michelle
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
***Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review***

Bats scare many people, but I think they are fascinating and I'm excited that this book portrayed them in a fun and interesting light.
Cat
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun factual story about bats. It's written for kids 9 and younger, I think. It's pretty simplistic, but has lots of good vocabulary words to help kids learn to read. The illustrations were really nice.
I received a Kindle arc from Netgalley in exchange for a fair review.
Barbra
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fun, funny informative, with cartoon like illustrations children from ages six to 9 will love learning about all the disgusting critters in this series.The full set of ten books are all great.
Dontreadlikethem
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
A great example of the future of children's nonfiction. Simple drawings with few sentences per page and bold text for important words. Even though it is nonfiction the bat still a little bit of personality along with the other "characters" in this book. Children ages 5 to 9 will fall in love with science.
Katie

• Wanted! Criminals of the Animal Kingdom
  • Where's Baby?
  • What Is Family?: on Sesame Street
  • The Bat Book
  • Alfie: (The Turtle That Disappeared)
  • I Am Violet