Start by marking “The Cockroach” as Want to Read:
The Cockroach

The Cockroach

Hilarious illustrated non-fiction about cockroaches perfect for beginning readers. You'll bug out over this perfect pairing of humorous text and funny illustrations about this insect that's been around for over 335 million years!

Fast cockroach facts:
* Distinctive trait: Flat and oval-shaped body
* Diet: Everything! (Especially if it's greasy and sweet . . .)
* Special
Published February 4th 2020 by Tundra Books (NY)

To ask other readers questions about The Cockroach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cockroach

Start your review of The Cockroach
La Coccinelle
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book, unlike The Bat from the same author, really does belong in this series called Disgusting Critters. Cockroaches? Ew! This book will teach you more than you ever wanted to know about these stinking, disease-carrying creatures.

In this book, we meet Diane the cockroach. Various facts (sprinkled with a dose of humour) are highlighted throughout the book by Gravel's delightfully simple illustrations. There's plenty to learn here... even if it's stuff you never really wanted to know.
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
When we think of cockroaches it is usually because we want to get rid of them. But this is a cute picture book that gives you some facts about these amazing insects that will probably outlive us all. They first appeared on earth 300 million years ago.

Did you know that cockroaches can run up to 3 miles (or 5 K) an hour, which makes them the fastest running insects in the world?

Or that cockroaches can produce 16 babies in 24 hours. And that they will probably produce 100s in their lifetime.

Cute
Etienne
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Elise gravel style of writing, drawing and humor, all in a informative book about cockroach. This informative/funny book combo isn't one of my favorite, but that is only personal, Children will probably learn and laugh and I can,t go against that!
Kübra  Yağmur Aslanhan
bu seri sayesinde Québec fransızcasındaki farklılıkları da görebiliyorum.
Morris
I was completely grossed out by this one while also laughing. There are quite a few facts that even adults will find surprising. The illustrations and jokes are perfect. Highly recommended!

This unbiased review is based upon a complimentary copy provided by the publisher.
Tara
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this arc from NetGalley for an honest review. Love all books by Elise Gravel especially these types of books about animals people might not like.
OjoAusana
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, read-2020
*Received for free from netgalley for honest review* Kinda weird but cute too? I still don't like cockroaches..... but i'll admit I did learn a lot about them haha
Annie
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Originally published on my blog: Nonstop Reader.

The Cockroach is a new nonfiction graphic art book aimed at younger readers in The Disgusting Critters series by Elise Gravel. Originally published in French in 2016, this English language translation is due out 4th Feb 2020 from Penguin Random House on their Tundra imprint, has 32 pages and will be available in hardcover format.

The art is whimsical and appealing (see cover), and the text is fact based and scientifically accurate. The info
Storywraps
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This sweet non-fiction book is just wonderful and very kid-friendly as is the whole series of "Disgusting Critters." Meet Diane, the cockroach, an adorable character even though she belongs to that dreaded species. Cockroaches are not the house guests you would desire because once they are inside it's extremely hard to get rid of them.

The talented author/ illustrator shines a light on the dreaded COCKROACH much to a cockroach's dismay because they hate light and emerge at night, in the dark, to
Amy Hodges
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for my review.

This was a cute nonfiction book about cockroaches. I liked how the author gave quick and easy to read facts throughout the story. Many students would enjoy this book and have an easy time understanding the information. The illustrations were very cute and brought personality to the cockroaches. This would be a great book at add to your elementary collection.
Cat
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nice informational book about cockroaches. Told in a humorous fashion kids will enjoy. Illustrations are nice....but the whole works still gives me goosebumps! I've never had roaches, but have worked at places that do. I can attest to how difficult it is to get rid of them. Just plain icky.... Yuck! Book is solid.

I received a Kindle arc from Netgalley in exchange for a fair review.
Leigh
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was given the book for free from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

These books are so much fun, but the cockroach was almost too gross for me. I like the sense of understanding that these books give for even the most undesirable life forms.

A must read!
ems
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Elizabeth
Ewww. To be honest, I'm surprised I read this book.
Alexx Conrad

• The Lobsters' Night Before Christmas
  • The Bat Book
  • What's Up, Maloo?
  • Swim Swim Sink
  • How to be a Person: 65 Hugely Useful, Super-Important Skills to Learn Before You're Grown Up
  • Where's Baby?
  • One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
  • Bears Make the Best Writing Buddies