Start by marking “As Happy as Here” as Want to Read:
As Happy as Here

As Happy as Here

A beautiful coming-of-age story about three teenage girls from very different backgrounds who find themselves sharing a hospital ward, for fans of Kate DiCamillo and Fiona Wood

Published 2019 by Hachette Australia

Start your review of As Happy as Here
Trisha
Authentic voice, engaging friendship story and well developed mystery element.

Just what we need for younger teens.
Blue
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three teenagers, with completely different personalities find that sharing a hospital ward can be difficult then what they originally thought. However after witnessing a crime, their stay in the hospital becomes a lot harder.
Evie is a long distance runner, who faces the pressure of her family of being a successful athlete. Evie does face the negative impact of not being the ideal child that her parents want when she was in a freak road accident that has mangled her legs.
Lucy is an only child wit
K.
Trigger warnings: car accident resulting in hospitalisation, cancer, theft, (view spoiler)

There are so few books with a 12-14 year old intended audience and I was desperately hoping that this would be great. And in some ways it was - there are developing friendships, first periods, parental dramas, and plenty of action. But there was something about it that didn't quite work for me and I can't pinpoint what it w
Jude
Aug 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story of three young girls, all from different situations, who probably would never have met had they not been brought together when they share a hospital room. There is a bit of mystery in the novel and a twist I didn't see coming, but, for me, it's the insights into family relationships and friendships which were the most compelling. A great read.
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Three teenage girls from very different backgrounds find themselves sharing a hospital ward. When they witness a crime in the park below their window, they bond over trying to solve the crime and each one undergoes a profound change.

This is a book that I wish I'd read growing up. It is a lovely, coming-of-age story of three young girls who find themselves in a hospital room together. Then they witness a crime. As they band together to solve the crime, they learn to overcome each others differenc
Liz Ledden
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A powerful, moving story of friendship set in a hospital ward, where three very different girls bond over solving a mystery. The fast-paced final chapters took my breath away.
Fee Mac
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I wanted to read this recommended book for interest and so I would know the content for the school library. By 1/3 in I read it in one sitting until it was finished. There's certainly enough to get readers engaged and thinking. The characters have depth, feel real and believable. It deals with friendships & family relationships too in a gentle way throughout the book. When I finished I wanted more, I will be looking for other Jane Godwin books. ...more
Kat Schrav
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lovely coming-of-age story for younger secondary students. A exploration of friendship, belonging and acceptance by three girls who find themselves in a hospital ward together with a bit of a mystery to solve.
Simply Madi
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Using a beautifully expert writing voice, Godwin brought to life three unique young teenagers who felt real and raw. One way or another I connected or felt empathy for each of them and this was the reason I was so willingly drawn into their story.

I loved Evie and Lucy but Jemma was probably the hardest character for me to connect with. She had an unfortunate history and tendency to take her sadness and anger out on others in a way that was often cruel. Though I could understand the events that
Em
“Maybe what mattered now wasn’t why things had happened, but what Evie would do now that they had.”

A champion long-distance runner, Evie never thought she'd spend much time in hospital. But when a freak road accident mangles her legs, she becomes accustomed to the inpatient life. Sharing a ward with Lucy, who has leukaemia, and Jemma, whose appendix burst, the three girls do their best to stay entertained while they heal. But when they witness a mysterious incident outside their window, they get
Hajra
Apr 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
When I began reading this novel, I soon realised that it was intended for a little bit of a younger audience than myself, however, regardless, I continued reading the novel because I found the characters quite likeable and the storyline interesting.

The novel follows three girls, all trapped within the walls of a hospital ward, sharing the same current life (life in a hospital) however, all having very different life experiences from all different paths of life.
The girls form the basis of a fri
Chloe
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
just finished this, will probably edit and write. a longer review but for now, i can easily say that this book is nothing short of incredible. incredible writing, incredible characters, incredible plot, incredible author, incredible everything.
such a gorgeous story with beautiful meanings laced into it, i loved this book so much. the characters were definitely my favourite part of the book.
the end left me shocked and without words, it was beautiful and i think that it was the only way the book
Soph
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As happy as here was great book!!
It was really moving. And made me think about some things that I may be scared of and notice that, people all throughout the world have to deal with something they don’t like everyday of their life so just two pricks is nothing compared to what some people go through each day.
This book almost brought me to tears!
And this now one of my top favourite books I’ve read!
Charlie
I found this underwhelming and frustrating... I didn't connect to the characters much at all, and Jemma annoyed me so much that the ending had little impact. This was an oddly paced novel, with not much at all happening for most of the novel. Unfortunately not one that I will be recommending very often.
Katya
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read this book mostly in one plane ride from Dubai to Moscow in around 3 hours. The pacing was very quick and events were constantly happening. The plot was rather interesting however in my opinion the characters needed a bit more development. Godwin made great choices in terms of tone when it comes to portraying different characters.
Amy Heap
Jun 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, middle-grade
Three 13 year old girls, with different backgrounds and personalities, find themselves sharing a hospital room. They see something from the window that sets off a chain of events that changes them all. A thoughtful coming of age story, more middle grade than young adult, about privilege, strength, and being ourselves.
jasmine
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
1.5 rounded up.

i had to physically take breaks from this book because the characters-specifically jemma-were so annoying. in other books (the girl on the train, the secret runners of new york, etc.) some characters were irritating but they had reasons and they weren’t being consciously rude.

i was really hoping for this book to be better but it just didn’t live up to be expectations :^(
Belinda
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Friendship,lies, mystery and the consequences of all three in the lives if three young teenager girls. Well written and a great look into how teens with very different backgrounds can form a strong friendship in a short time.
Alice Kennedy
Apr 02, 2020 rated it liked it
I was set on 3 stars pretty much the entire way through reading it. Then, after the ending, I switched to 4 stars, then settled back on 3. Something about the way Jemma’s character was portrayed right up until the ending just didn’t sit well with me. I didn’t like how she wouldn’t even give the other girls a chance to make friends with her, she’d just dismiss them, then she’d get annoyed when they did the same thing to her. She was a very intolerable character, and it deteriorated from the novel ...more
Sharlene Evans
Apr 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I got really confused with the accident but then thought about it and when big events happen, you really do get broken memories and hard to piece together bits of a story. Well done in that aspect but not totally sold on the girls putting themselves at risk the way they do .... mmm
Greenglasses
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
There is a serious twist near the end that i'm still recovering from!! I was on an insane rollercoaster of emotion, this book!! WOW, 10/10 do recommend to anyone into any kind of book, I think this covers all of the boxes!!
Emily
Jun 23, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars! A tale of friendship and loss, one we all should read.
Christine
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quite a mystery develops during the story. A twist or two I didn't see coming.
Marzi
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was really good. And very good storytelling the plot was good.
Kerri Jones
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
A novel for younger to middle high schoolers with strong themes of friendship, loyalty and a mystery to boot.
Samantha & Luke
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sensational
Tiarna Georghiou
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wahhhhhhh 😭 this book seriously plays with the emotions far out!! Nawwwww I can’t believe it. Shocked.
Anna Davidson
evie♏
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I lved this book. it is kinda a crime thriller!!!!
Violet
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amazing
This book represents the lifestyle of 3 completely different girls. I loved this book!

• Sick Bay
  • The Surprising Power of a Good Dumpling
  • The Little Wave
  • The Dog Runner
  • The Secrets We Keep (The Secrets We Keep #1)
  • Catch a Falling Star
  • The Year the Maps Changed
  • How to Bee
  • Everything I've Never Said
  • It Sounded Better in My Head
  • Ghost Bird
  • All That Impossible Space
  • When the Ground Is Hard
  • The Secrets We Share (The Secrets We Keep, #2)
  • In the Dark Spaces
  • Detention
  • The Thing About Oliver
  • Wolf Girl: Into the Wild
Jane Godwin is the Publisher, Books for Children and Young Adults, at Penguin Books Australia. She is also a highly acclaimed author of many books for children. Her work is published internationally and she has received many commendations. The Family Tree won the 2000 Queensland Premier's Award (Children's Books); Sebby, Stee, the Garbos and Me was shortlisted for the 1999 New South Wales State Li ...more