Start by marking “Teen Writer’s Guide: Your Road Map to Writing” as Want to Read:
Teen Writer’s Guide: Your Road Map to Writing

Teen Writer’s Guide: Your Road Map to Writing

Imagine you had a road map for writing the book youve always dreamed of writinga step-by-step guide from testing your story ideas, to visualizing your characters types and voices, to building a world that comes to life, to navigating the publishing industry, and going the distance to reach your writing goals.

As co-founder of Teen Author Boot Camp, one of the nations
Paperback
Published March 24th 2020 by Owl Hollow Press

To ask other readers questions about Teen Writer’s Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teen Writer’s Guide

Start your review of Teen Writer’s Guide: Your Road Map to Writing
sarah xoxo
Mar 07, 2020 rated it liked it
As an aspiring writer (who happens to be a teen) I was instantly intrigued by this book.
I have never read a book solely on the craft of writing, but I have a list of some I want to try (I think my next one will be 'On Writing' by Stephen King- but if you have any other recommendations I would love to try them out!)
This book was definitely a beginner's guide, which while it is exactly how it is marketed- meant it didn't quite live up to the level of information I was seeking

This book definitely
Jessica
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Where was this book when I was a teen? It's just not FAAAAAIR!

Jennifer Jenkins' warm, bubbly personality invites you to come along with her as she walks you through what makes a book great: pacing, dialogue, plot, it's all here. And it's all wonderfully laid out, with lots of excellent, funny examples, great guide questions, and am easy-to-use format. Teen Author Bootcamp is an amazing opportunity for teens, but for those who can't attend, there's Jen's book!
alissa avaline
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
Publication date: 24 March

I was provided with an early arc.

My full review will come later, but I do want to say a few things. I wish I wouldve read this at an earlier state in my writing career. Most of the things I already knew.

But the exercises were really useful and it was overall fun to read. I will definitely use some of the tips!
Alicia Bayer
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent resource for teen writers, but it is also full of great tools for writers of any age. Jenkins provides great advice on topics like writing dialog, world building, generating suspense, editing, getting published, and more. Each chapter uses her own writing to illustrate her points and provides bullet lists of the most important points and questions or exercises to work on those skills. I honestly didn't enjoy the passages from her own writing as much as the practical advice ...more
Michelle Kidwell
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Teen Writer's Guide: Your Road Map to Writing
by Jennifer Jenkins

Owl Hollow Press

Independent Book Publishers Association (IBPA), Members' Titles
Reference , Teens & YA

Pub Date 24 Mar 2020

I am reviewing Teen Writers Guide: Your Road Map to Writing through Owl Hollow Press:

Can you use your imagination to turn a single picture into a plot line, if you can this book is just the ticket for you.

Before you begin with your short story, novel or other piece of writing ask yourself if this is a genre
Elizabeth Connor
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When I saw this book listed on Netgalley, I was immediately drawn to it because I imagined it would be an easy-to-understand guide for writing a book. It is that, and its much more. I love the writing excerpts taken from Jennifer Jenkins personal life. I was particularly fascinated by her experiences growing up with a father in the military. Of course, these excerpts served to demonstrate the various aspects of writing: story ideas, characterization, world-building, plotting framework, tension, ...more
Nora Spellman
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I found this book to be really insightful. There was a lot of depth and detail to the book, some stuff I already knew because of my writing degree, but also some new takes on this stuff and some new information. There are exercises to complete at the end of each chapter and this was really fun to do and see how the advice Jenkins gave worked in my own story and some examples given too.

Overall a great book for new writers that is actually beneficial and inspiring.
Bee Jay
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
A well written, easy to follow how to for budding authors.

A fascinating read with a lot of really good ideas. I've read several of this kind of book, and I enjoyed the way each chapter in this one started with a piece of the author's own writing that highlighted the specific thing she was talking about. The language was clear and concise, not too difficult to follow.

I'll definitely be using some of these ideas and tips next time I write something. A fantastic read.
Clara
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great book with some very good practical tips on writing. It is fairly basic but I feel that for anyone wanting to start out this would be perfect.

Would say it's perfect for the audience it's intended for.
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not just for teens, the straightforward, simple advice here would be great for a lot of adult writers, too. Loved the examples and the humour throughout.

Full review is up on my blog.
Lizzie
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was such a fab guide to how to write and publish your book! It takes you from the earliest stages of character and world building right through to how to navigate the complex land of publishing your book. It also never felt like a lecture as the writing was funny and helpful. Id definitely recommend this to anyone thinking of writing a book but has no idea where it to start.

Happy Reading! 💕📚

Note: I received a free copy of this book before its publication in return for a honest review.
Tammy Bramley
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a fantastic resource for aspiring writers! I know this book was meant for teens, but it could be helpful to anyone who may be struggling with different aspects of writing! I also love the humour that Jenkins throws in - shes the kind of person you want to have coffee with and swap stories!
The layout of the book was very easy to follow, made sense, and really follows a path that allows the author to be very organized and get information about their setting, characters, etc they may not have
Darby Karchut
Leigh Statham
Jennifer Jenkins
May 16, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Jyl Cundiff
Leah Waters
Shilo Quetchenbach
Jenifer

• Mooncakes
  • The Princess Saves Herself in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #1)
  • Us, in Pieces
  • A Study in Scarlet
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • Strange Planet
  • Nineteen
  • Dry
  • Last Lesson
  • Highland Sword (Royal Highlander #3)
  • The Billionaire Quiz: A Choose Your Own Billionaire Adventure
  • The Key of F  (Freedom Fight Trilogy Book 1)
  • We Should All Be Feminists
  • De geur van groen
  • The Fortress
  • City Spies
  • The Every Body Book: The Lgbtq+ Inclusive Guide for Kids about Sex, Gender, Bodies, and Families
  • Only Mostly Devastated
With my degree in History and Secondary Education, I had every intention of teaching teens to love George Washington and appreciate the finer points of ancient battle stratagem. (Seriously, Im obsessed with ancient warfare. Weird? I know.) However, life had different plans in store when the writing began. As a proud member of Writers Cubed, and a co-founder of the Teen Author Boot Camp, I feel ...more