Start by marking “Fishermen's Court” as Want to Read:
Fishermen's Court

Fishermen's Court

A fatal mistake on a drunken night in college comes back to haunt a troubled artist after eighteen years, threatening his friendships, his sanity, and his life.

Published June 13th 2019 by Black Rose Writing

To ask other readers questions about Fishermen's Court, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fishermen's Court

Debjani Ghosh
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
[Reviewed for Readers' Favorite by Debjani Ghosh]

The pièce de résistance of Fishermen’s Court is its watertight plot. I could not find a single loophole in it. Wolfendon plunged me into action from page one, and the unrelenting, brisk pace resulted in taut suspense throughout the novel. Moreover, the author did not show his hand till the end resulting in a satisfying denouément. Seldom do thrillers have space for character development. However, Fishermen’s Court proves to be different here as we
Karen Whittard
Jun 03, 2019 rated it liked it
A really well written book, that is thoughtful and thought provoking. Different and fresh from the other thrillers out there. This book is good if you want something fresh and new.
Michael Hartnett
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Memorable Thriller with Psychological Depth
For being mainly centered on the small, fictional Maine island of Musqasset, Andrew Wolfendon’s Fishermen’s Court covers a great deal of territory. Yes, on one level it is the story of the dolorous gentrification of the island, with the beloved Fish Pier lost and with it some of Musqasset’s soul. On another, it’s the story of friendship between the working class narrator Finn and the rich, ambitious Miles. On another, it’s a turbulent love story betwe
Deborah Hightower
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-read-2019
Thank you NetGalley and Black Rose Writing for allowing me to review an advance copy of Fishermen's Court by Andrew Wolfendon. This was an action packed thriller that took off running from the start and held my interest throughout. Why would killers want to kill Finn Carroll? Finn's life is turned upside down as he tries to figure out who is after him. Great read you will not want to put down.
Jackie Anders
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Finn Carroll was taken by surprise one day by some masked men who forced him to overdose on pills, but why? Finn does survive and later discovers that the killers wrote a suicide note talking about a mistake Finn made in his past. A mistake that Finn has no idea anything about.

As Finn works to uncover this bizarre mystery, he begins to realize that he has no one he can trust to help him.

Wow, this story starts off strong! The writing pulls you in immediately. I loved how Finn wants to protect ev
Debra
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Finn Carroll’s world is falling apart – more than usual that is. Why do people want to kill him and make it look like suicide? He seeks help with his old friend Miles and heads out to Musqasset Island to stay with him at his holiday home. Stranded due to storms, Finn isn’t sure who to trust & why everyone is against him.

This was, on the whole, a good thriller. There is plenty of action, confusion, double dealing, issues with trust and a quick fling thrown in. The weather is, of course, storm
Edna
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Description
Finn Carroll is a failed artist living a marginal existence in his dead parents’ home. So why would a team of killers want to murder him and frame it as a suicide? Finn survives the encounter to discover the killers have left behind a “suicide note” detailing a dark incident from Finn’s past no one could possibly know about.

Finn escapes to Musqasset Island, his former home, to seek refuge with an old friend, but soon realizes he has trapped himself on the small island with the very pe
Rick Papazian
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You've got to read this book. I couldn't believe the quality writing. The best I've seen in years, especially for a thriller. The plot is genius. The main characters, are well rounded and nuanced. I resorted to reading this thing while shaving! I can't say it is perfect but it is perfectly tight, and the mood he created was deliciously wicked and delightful. And he uses humor so bittingly cool, with words and phases that I would kill for as a writer. Yeah, I only wish I could write like this. I ...more
Sublime Book Review
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Overall Rating = 4.375
Storyline & Concept = 4.5
Writing & Delivery = 4.5
Cover Marketability = 4
Editorial = 4.5

“Fisherman’s Court is a complicated and manic book directly reflecting that main character, Finn Carroll. The storyline is confounding while completely compelling. The gritty unfolding circumstances put the self-deprecating, Finn in a position of self-examination amid the threat of unknown sadistic enemies all while taking a forced trip down memory and slap in the face reality lan
GARY FONG
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The fast moving opening grabs you quickly and refuses to let go. Imagine being framed for something you kind of did by accident, something unintentional but caused catastrophic damage - but you had no idea - until the damaged party wants to enact deadly revenge?
While we're being guided around from one reveal to the next, we're set in a haunting, beautiful island world that Wolfendon has managed to paint with a dark and haunting palette.
The textures are rich, and the entire thing is a deep depart
Rosemary Duffy
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Truly Great Thriller!
Fishermen’s Court grabbed me from the first page with it’s humor And from there, I became intrigued with the protagonist, Finn, who grew more psychologically interesting and complex over the course of this thrilling story. The combination of a suspenseful mystery, a view of a New England coastal island in a cultural crisis, laugh-out-loud humor and the possible rekindling of an old romance, makes this one, an “ I can’t put it down “ read. Personally, I can’t wait for Andre
Brenda
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fishermen's Court by Andrew Wolfendon .
Thank you NetGalley for giving me the chance to read this e-book.
Well written fast paced thriller , the action started from the very beginning of the story .
Finn Carroll could'nt understand why two men wanted to kill him . He knew he must get right away immediately to stay alive , but where to go and what to do .
A terrifying story but I was unable to stop reading as wanted to know what was going to happen next, the ending was a real surprise .
Very good rea
Dornacaskie
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
NOT YOUR AVERAGE THRILLER...

It is wonderful to find new voices in this genre. Wolfendon's book immediately grabs you with brief moments of gangster cruelty, then takes you on a complex and generational journey that is darkened by youthful culpability and entanglement. Current day island values and island people are well articulated, and the unraveling of the complete story does not insult the reader's intelligence - nor is it likely to be 100% of what you expect! I read this book cover to cover
Catherine
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FC

I do not give 5 star reviews. I gave Wolfendon five! When I first picked this novel I could not understand why it was so long, now I wish it was longer. Humor, smart-ass humor is a favorite of mine and this was full of it. Loved the story, easy to follow even though it was a complicated plot. Great writing. Thank you so much for an enjoyable read. I'll be back!
Solomon
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fisherman’s Court is Guilty of Being Incredible

Wolfendon’s novel is a compelling and never ending roller coaster of a man’s transformation into self realization. This journey wouldn’t be realized if he doesn’t escape death. This story had me from the get-go. I couldn’t put it down. Excitement. Romance. Redemption. What more can you ask for? Kudos!!
Linda
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lots of twists and turns in this plot set on a Maine island. The depiction of fishermen's code of behavior in this old-fashioned, isolated way of life rang true. I liked the main character's voice. His clever humor in tight situations made the telling more enjoyable. Story did seem a little too long and dragged out, at times.
Karen Dill
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic Psychological Thriller

I loved this book. Is this guy crazy or not? You are never really sure as this story moves along. So many surprises along the way. I recommend this book to anyone who loves psychological thrillers. I couldn't put this book down. It never got boring!
Mattie Hyde
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So Cool

Let me just say that when you think you have it figured out...bazinga! I truly enjoyed reading this novel. Excellent writing, clever wit, roller coaster scenarios. True gem that I will read again in 10 years once I've forgotten who did it.
Valerie K
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful!

Loved this book! Twists and turns around every page. You think you have figured out who the bad guys are then you find out you’re wrong. Suspenseful, great characters, everything you want in a good mystery.
Matt Sughrue
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Great thriller that keeps you guessing to the very end. Terrific writing, great characters, quirky protagonist and a plot full of twists and turns. I stayed up all night to finish this one, and I didn't want it to end. Really looking forward to Andrew Wolfendon's next book!
David
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A complex series of twists and turns resulting a tremendously satisfying read. Graciously laced with a fabulous amount of drama, humor, tension, and physiological elements. I loved it. Was bummed when I finished. Looking forward to many more from this gifted author.
Robert L
Aug 07, 2019 is currently reading it
Fulfilling!
I was looking for a good summer vacation read. I like psychological depth. I like a character who grows on you. I like lots of twists and turns and surprises. I like a good love story. I got everything I wanted in "Fishermen’s Court"!
Sandra Burns
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eventd of the past, can affect the futute

Two friends, celebrating, and one tosses a bottle on the highway. Life goes on. Many years later, this comes back, with unexpected results.
Jules J Rothus
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow Best Book Ever

Twists Flops Flips Fish Tanks Horror and Love with Terrors and Suspense Storms and more
Surprise !
Interesting dialog.
TINA LATHAM
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fishy good Suspense.

Kept me guessing for a while.
Murder, mayhem, and some very interesting characters.
Sure hope Finn's finally figured it out!
Sandra Dell
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very exciting and suspenseful novel

I really enjoyed the story; it kept me interested for sure! I think anyone from teens to seniors would be appropriate readers.
Kelly Clement
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read. Full of twists that keep you guessing and many laugh out loud moments from the irreverent FC. I was sad to finish it because I was enjoying it so much.
Scott
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fishermen’s Court is smart, funny, touching, and so “can’t put it down” compelling that I did something I haven’t done in years; read it through, cover to cover, no skimming, in essentially one sitting! Featuring a very clever double (triple?) helix of a thriller plot, a pitch-perfect setting that deeply animates and shapes the delightfully memorable characters that populate it, and insightful renderings of the messy, bittersweet mashup of love, loss, courage and redemption that characterize our ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »