Start by marking “Crownbreaker (Spellslinger, #6)” as Want to Read:
Crownbreaker (Spellslinger, #6)

Crownbreaker

(Spellslinger #6)

The sixth - and final - instalment of the inimitable SPELLSLINGER series.

Kellen and Reichis are settling into their new lives as protectors of the young queen and dealing with the constantly shifting threats to her reign and to her life. For the first time in his life, Kellen feels as if he's becoming the kind of man that his mentor Ferius had wanted him to be. Even
Published October 17th 2019 by Hot Key Books

To ask other readers questions about Crownbreaker, please sign up.
Sebastien Castell First off, I'm jealous of your reading speed!

First off, I'm jealous of your reading speed!

To answer your question, I'm hard at work on two new books set in the Spellslinger world but focused on a certain fast-talking wandering gambler. I'm also finishing the second draft on the next book in the Greatcoats world, which features a deeper dive into the Bardatti than we've seen before. So, lots more to come!(less)

Start your review of Crownbreaker (Spellslinger, #6)
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
I'm not entirely sure what happened. I wish I had enjoyed these last 2 books more but the story felt out of place. New villains popped up I didn't see the point of, new characters appeared who I was supposed to just like for no reason. The story I was so invested in during books 1-4 disappeared and books 5 and 6 felt like it just ditched all that progress.

For example, a character who is known as God appears in this installment and he's suddenly Kellen's (and the worlds) focus but I had zero time
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
okay for real...the US covers for this series need to go away and be replaced by the glorious UK ones
Jon Adams
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That postscript was perfect.
explorerofbooks
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I can’t recommend this series enough, especially now I know De Castell truly knows how to write an ending. Even though he said Kellen and his friends would always be in our hearts, this goodbye still hurt. Spellslinger will always be one of my favorite fantasy series, filled with tricks, magic, realism and best of all, innovative characters. Sometimes, we don’t need a hero. Sometimes, we just need our wits and a little fear to remind us we’re alive. And…yeah, a good book also helps.

Kellen and
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2019/12/19/...

Crownbreaker is the ending to the Spellslinger series that fans have been waiting for. For six books now, we’ve been journeying along with Kellen Argos, a failed mage who has become so much more. But while it’s incredible to see how far he has come, how in many ways he is different from the boy he used to be, it’s also heartwarming to know in all the important ways he has not changed at all, that he is still the Kellen
Pen
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll admit that I begrudgingly picked up Spellslinger when I was in a reading funk and looking for something light and short to try and trigger my reading momentum. 6 books later I can attest to the fact that it just might have worked as I quickly became a big fan of the series. From characters, to story, to narration to cover art, every book has kept me wanting more and this one was no exception.

A fun, well rounded, exceptionally paced and thoroughly entertaining series. I have zero hesitation
Nikki
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
Five stars. Always.

I loved this so much. It felt like a perfect way to round out Kellen’s adventures so far, and to let us see the bigger picture that we’ve been glimpsing throughout when it comes to politics.

I really don’t want to spoil anything so I will say that I continue to love the people we knew, and really enjoyed some of the new characters we meet.

And Sebastien’s post script was perfect.
Justin
Spoiler-FREE review of ‘Crownbreaker’

“The world has no use for a trickster once the final trick is played.”

description

description

5.0/5.0 I just spent the last week wanting to know what happens, but not wanting it to end. It has been a poetically problematic week for me to be honest.

The character growth throughout the start of the series has been amazing. I am not going to name any characters here in fear of spoiling anything throughout the series, suffice it to say, I found many different characters development
Shree143
Goodbye ...more
kartik narayanan
Crownbreaker is a fitting conclusion to a great series.

Spellslinger is one of those rare series of books that starts off strongly, maintains the quality and ends with a bang. Crownbreaker brings Kellen Argos's story arc to a satisfying conclusion and I love every moment of it.

This series is a must read.
Contrarius
Dammit, I have to wait til DECEMBER??
Sean Little
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Always rough to come to the end of a journey. I wasn't certain what to expect after de Castell finished the Greatcoats series and this series started, but after six books, I'm glad I went along for the ride. The series, which deviates from traditional fantasy by taking on an almost steampunky, Old West vibe, works through de Castell's brilliant characters and their relationships.

In this final go-round, the spellslinger Kellen finally has to step up and face down his father, a battle that has
Mojo Shivers
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve never read a six-part series. It’s such an odd number of books to base your series around. But I guess it makes sense given this series is based around somebody known for not being exceptionally good at a great many things. Yes, he’s technically a mage, but he only has one good spell, five enchanted coins, and some knowledge of how magic works for others. And he’s not really a fighter, given that Argosi fighting relies on deception and evasion and tricks. But he’s also not an Argosi sage ...more
Rebecka
I will be writing a proper review once I have time to absorb everything I experienced not just with this book, but with this series. From the beginning this series has been dear to my heart, as I received the first book, Spellslinger, from my brother and best friend, Paul. He gave me an amazing two year journey that I will forever cherish.
Dawn
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic final book! Very satisfying ending; a few things i guessed correctly and others were surprising. I loved watching Kellen mature and grow in many ways over the course of the series. Ferius is one of my all-time fave characters and was brilliantly written throughout. And as for Reichis, who doesn’t love a snarky, eyeball-eating squirrel cat?
kit
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
perfect conclusion to this fun and nourishing series.
Fiona
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am so sad to see this series end but it was so good! I am very happy with that ending.
Duchess
I love this series to bits. Kellen is endearing and Reichis despite his murderous disposition is quite adorable.

It is actually hard to let go of a book that has been with me for the better part of 2019. I am glad I discovered it when the series is almost coming to a close else waiting will be a torment.

I listened to the audiobook instead of reading it which made it in my opinion 100 times better. Joe Jameson is one talented chap. This partnership with De Castell is a match made in heaven.
Cham
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Home is a feeling. The memory of a warm bed. The voice of your parents calling you to breakfast. Home isn’t a roof or four walls. It’s not a place at all."

"Then he’ll remind himself that his own story is unfinished, and for all his flaws, for all his failures, both real and imagined, he, too, is so much more than the sum of his upbringing. So am I. So are you."

Endings are always bittersweet. I can't express how much this story made me happy. In here, I found a home with Kellen and Reichis
Rivka
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So I finished the Spellslinger series this weekend and my heart is so happy but also a little broken. I’ve been with these books for a while now and every one of them taught me something. I loved growing with Kellen and his business partner I’m always a bit worried going into the last book but Crownbreaker felt exactly like the rest of the series. And Post Script was absolutely incredible. Go read it. And let’s be honest. These covers don’t hurt either Thank you so much @sebastiendecastell for ...more
Frank Miceli
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely perfect ending to the series!!
Ankita Malakar
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the entire series and I want a damned squirrel cat as well!!
Einas Alhamali
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not okay
A Silent Bookworm (Jessica Parker)
I have enjoyed this entire series. Reichis has always been my favorite, but the chemistry the author puts on the page between Reichis, Kellan, and Ferius is magic on its own. I hope the Spellslinger world is revisited.
Nicole
I'm so deeply invested at this point that I don't even know where to start this review.

All I can really think of to say is that the postscript in it's entirety might be the single best ending to a series that I've ever read.
Meklit Teklu
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A hopeful ending to an excellent story, with a beautifully written postscript. Hopefully there will come to be more stories about Kellen and his world, but it was a truly worthy ending.
Dreximgirl
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bloody loved this! Sebastien is hands down one of my favourite writers and the Spellslinger series has been such a joy to read. Kellen, Reichis, Ferius and the rest have all become such beloved characters and while I'm sad to say goodbye I'm happy that it was such a perfect ending. Everything came together and threads right from the start pulled together. Adored it. If you haven't read the series go read it now!!!
Vinay Badri
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sebastien de Castell knows how to end things on a poignant note and Crownbreaker is no less for it. His true strengths lie in writing incredibly brilliant leads, flawed, immature, impulsive and yet with that core of righteousness and tons of heart. Kellen is one such brilliant lead. Throughout the series, Kellen while being massively underpowered, manages to walk away from any scraps and confrontations with nothing more than a spunky attitude, tricks and tons of brains. However, in this book, he ...more
Alexander Sedge
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
So, great series. Excellent. A fast-paced adventure that captures the imagination from start to finish, filled with memorable, believable characters with sympathetic motivations regardless of their position on the protagonist/antagonist spectrum. Firm recommend for anyone looking for a strongly episodic fantasy series - kind of like an anime-flavored Name of the Wind.

But I really want to talk about what a fantastic ending it is! Too many stories are ruined by awkward, loose conclusions. The
USOM
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Disclaimer: I received this book from Netgalley. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

In some ways, Crownbreaker is almost like a reckoning. de Castell has built the tension throughout the last books to the point where we wonder is Kellen can truly keep living the way he has been. Even as he comes more and more to terms with his shadow black, his past, and his family, what does Kellen really want at the end of the day? Is there not a small part of him that hungers to
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Crownbreaker [Dec 19, 2019] 73 71 Jan 20, 2020 12:32PM

• Blood of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #3)
  • Bright Steel (Masters & Mages, #3)
  • The Black Hawks (Articles of Faith, #1)
  • Fallen (Alex Verus, #10)
  • City of Stone and Silence (The Wells of Sorcery, #2)
  • The Burning White (Lightbringer, #5)
  • The Light of All That Falls (The Licanius Trilogy, #3)
  • The True Bastards (The Lot Lands, #2)
  • Starsight (Skyward, #2)
  • The Shadow King (The Raveling, #3)
  • Dark Forge (Masters & Mages, #2)
  • The Bone Ships (The Tide Child, #1)
  • One Man: A City of Fallen Gods Novel
  • Secrets and Spellcraft (Art of the Adept, #2)
  • The Name of All Things (A Chorus of Dragons, #2)
  • Uncrowned (Cradle, #7)
  • Spark City (Spark City Cycle, #1)
  • Priest of Lies (War for the Rose Throne, #2)
Hi Folks!

My tenth novel, CROWNBREAKER is in stores in around the world.

You can get a pair of free stories here.

The best way to stay up to date is at www.decastell.com, but I'm also on that Facebook thing. Also that Twitter thing. One day I'll even remember to get on that Instagram thing.

As to who I am? Well . . .

Sebastien de Castell had just finished a degree in Archaeology when he started work

Spellslinger (6 books)
  • Spellslinger (Spellslinger, #1)
  • Shadowblack (Spellslinger #2)
  • Charmcaster (Spellslinger #3)
  • Soulbinder (Spellslinger, #4)
  • Queenslayer (Spellslinger #5)
“His birthday comes in thirty-three days,' Ke'heops said. 'The viziers have already announced their gift; they will present him with the severed head of the blasphemous Queen Ginevra of Darome.'

'Who is he?'

'God.”
0 likes
“How long've you been keeping this resignation letter in your pocket to blackmail me with?'
'Wrote it the day after I took the job.”
0 likes