Start by marking “Pink Ice Creams” as Want to Read:
Pink Ice Creams

Pink Ice Creams

Intent on fixing her broken marriage and the alcohol-fuelled catastrophe that is her life, Kay Harris arrives at her grim and grey holiday let on the Norfolk Coast, ready to lay to rest the tragedy that has governed her entire adulthood - the disappearance of her little brother, Adam. But the road to recovery is pitted with the pot-holes of her own poor choices, and it isn ...more
Published May 19th 20

To ask other readers questions about Pink Ice Creams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pink Ice Creams

Start your review of Pink Ice Creams
Dash fan
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
4☆ A Gritty Contemporary Fiction

When I first started reading Pink Ice Creams I really didn't think I was going to get on with it.
I felt like I was dropped into the deep end of a story and no clue what was going on.

But I'm so glad I persevered with it as once i got used to the first person writing style then I really enjoyed getting into Kay's thoughts and feelings.

Kay has a problem with alcohol and it's ruining her marriage.
Determined to fix hersel
Bridget
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
I was so thrilled to be one of the first to read Pink Ice Creams, the début novel by Jo Woolaston. What a fabulous and exciting read it was!

One of the reasons it was so appealing was its setting. I loved the author’s descriptions of the shabby sea-side town and the fun-fair as I grew up in a place with a very similar environment.

Pink Ice Creams had an enthralling plot and Jo Woolaston displayed some amazing writing skill with her perfect pacing of the story and my goodnes
Karen Mace
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found this to be a beautifully crafted piece of fiction that balances both the very dark aspects in the life of Kay, with the lighter moments as she tries to start her life again after splitting with her husband and taking up residence in a caravan on the Norfolk coast which triggers memories from her past and helps her try to come to terms with where she is and what she's been through.

The voice of Kay is one of very witty observations and remarks, and many moments of self doubt. H
Misfits farm
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kay arrives in her holiday let- a caravan and finds someone friendly putting his head through the window to greet her. She is intent on fixing her broken marriage and the alcohol-fuelled catastrophe that is her life. She wants to lay to rest the tragedy that has governed her entire adulthood – the disappearance of her little brother, Adam which happened there many years beforehand. Kay relives the past in her head mingled with the present. This is a very descriptive book, in a good way, so you c ...more
Sharon
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent...

I stumbled across this novel by chance. A debut novel by this author, I was intrigued by its premise but my expectations were low. I was mistaken. This novel was exceptional. Overall it's not a funny story, but I laughed out loud more than once, waking my slumbering spouse. I didn't sleep until early morning, I just couldn't stop reading.
The protagonist ,Kay, speaks to us in first person. She's a complex character with many challenges, most a result of an unhappy childhood resulting fr
Alison Russon
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I Loved this book. Pink Ice creams differs from my usual choice of books, I'm more of a chick lit gal but this book had me hooked. It took a chapter or so to get into it with the ever so important back story and the gritty writing style. The main character, Kay had me rooting for her one minute as she stumbles through her journey to mentally shouting at her and wanting to give her a good shake. I felt sure I had guessed the ending but as with this book you can not predict what is going to happen ...more
Stepj Gear
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kay Harris has a lot of demons; memories of tragic loss which has ripped her life apart and sent her on a downward spiral. Her need for alcohol is almost overpowering and yet she knows that she must try to confront what happened if she has any chance of moving forward.

The story was hard to read at times, but I felt the painful struggle that Kay faced daily. I read as she shouldered guilt from events that occurred when she was younger, events which saw her younger brother, Adam, disap
L.S.
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a great book.
Full review to follow
Lowenna
Jun 03, 2019 rated it liked it
An interesting, compelling, saddening read. Quite hard to read in places. Not because it was badly written but because of the storyline. This is the first time I have read a back written my someone I know. Well done Jo. I am sure all that read will enjoy it.
Ian Hilton-Tapp
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A well thought out plot, written well in a style that maintains one’s interest, portrays the emotions of the story and paints the characters brilliantly. Not my usual type of book (Leslie Charteris, Peter May, M P Wright, etc.) but as Jo is a local (to me) author I had to give it a go when I heard about it. I finished it a lot quicker than I usually do - I enjoyed it so much that when I managed to make reading time I couldn’t put it down.

I bought my copy of the paperback through Amaz
Libby Best
May 25, 2019
KT Robson
May 28, 2019
Jo Saunders
Jul 12, 2019
william F Carpenter
rated it did not like it
Oct 04, 2019
May 27, 2019
Claudia
Jun 04, 2019
Jo Woolaston
Jun 05, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Keely Dyer
Aug 09, 2019
carl
Sep 15, 2019

• After Melanie
  • Little Girls Sleeping (Detective Katie Scott, #1)
  • Birdie & Jude
  • Behind Blue Eyes (Stockholm Murders #1)
  • The Ice Cream Parlour
  • Say Something
  • The Dog That Was Lost In Paradise (Dogs Around the Dragon Book 2)
  • Finding Harmony
  • Chloe - Lost Girl (Carl Sant Murder Mysteries, #1)
  • Never Greener
  • Amsterdam: A History of the World's Most Liberal City
  • Chloe - Never Forget (Carl Sant Murder Mysteries, #2)
  • The Family Upstairs
  • Dead & Talking: A Porter & The Gliss Investigation
  • Your Life Is Mine
  • And So It Begins (Stephanie King #1)
  • Emily, Gone