Start by marking “Never Talk to Strangers (Family Storytime)” as Want to Read:
Never Talk to Strangers (Family Storytime)

Never Talk to Strangers (Family Storytime)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  212 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
If you are hanging from a trapeze
And up sneaks a camel with bony knees,
Remember this rule, if you please—
Never talk to strangers.

This book brilliantly highlights situations that children will find themselves in—whether they’re at home and the doorbell rings, or playing in the park, or mailing a letter on their street—and tells them what to do if a stranger (always portraye
Published February 15th 2000 by Golden Books (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Never Talk to Strangers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Talk to Strangers

Emily
Feb 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-lit
This was one of my favorite books as a child. I still actually have my worn well loved copy, it lives on my daughters bookshelf now. I think I enjoyed this book so much because of the art work and the funny yet serious story line. The book teaches kids about not talking to strangers and uses animals in funny situations to tell the story.
Becky
Jan 20, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is one strange book. At first I kept saying to myself, "they published this, really?" Then I read that it was a 'classic' golden book from the 1960s--1967 to be more exact. That clarified it a little bit for me. I can see at least one use for Never Talk To Strangers: to present to a classroom of college students as an example of didactic literature. What does the book offer to readers? Let's see. Rhymes mostly on the silly side. Nostalgic-looking illustrations with an odd flavor that can on ...more
Kimberly
I owned this book as a child and was absolutely delighted to find it still on the shelf in the library where I work! The illustrations are borderline hallucinogenic but I love them.
Cheryl
Wonderful illustrations and a cute message of when it is not ok and when it is ok to talk to strangers.
Melanie
Apr 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I grew up reading this book. I love the funny animal characters that lighten the burden of teaching kids about strangers.
Kim
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My parents read this to us countless times. I should set the stage: it was the 1970s. Etan Patz disappeared in 1979 and Adam Walsh in 1981. New York was a dirty, grungy place; airlines served meals and treated you like kings; hostages were taken in 1979 and the Israeli athletes had been killed instead of being allowed to compete in the 1972 Olympics. We understood that terrorism existed - after all, crazy people still hijacked planes; and we understood that children sometimes disappeared - victi ...more
Bridgette Elston
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was worried about "never" talk to strangers because there are times when it's appropriate like other kids, new teachers, etc. But in the end it went over when it's ok and that's when it's someone your parents introduce you too. I used it as a stepping stone to a conversation with my 5 year old about when we do and don't talk to strangers.
Adrith Bicchieri
Trolling through our picture book collection for books for storytime. This one is fun, but as a book originally written in 1967, possibly not the best book to use as an example of personal awareness for little ones in the current era.
Hamster
I happened to pick this up to teach my kids good principles but was surprised to find I recognize the pictures. I'd read it a hundred times as a kid and every page was like a warm hug.
Kendall Flynn
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In Never Talk to Strangers, each page gives an example of when you should not talk to someone you do not know. If the door bell rings, you are shopping, on a walk, or a car pulls over to talk to you and you do not know them, then do not talk to them. Towards then end of the book, it shows when it is acceptable to talk to someone that you do not know. For example, when your parents introduce you to someone or if a friends brings along another friend, it is okay to talk to them because they are no ...more
Nashiea Edmiston
Although this book is very dated, it has certain features that newer books about stranger danger just don't quite cover. I really appreciated that it illustrated the differences between a "safe stranger" and an "unsafe stranger." I also feel that the use of rhyme was very clever since this book targets preschool-early elementary students who respond really well to rhyme. I would not use this book alone but would incorporate this book into a unit about stranger danger where perhaps the D.A.R.E. o ...more
Angela Ahrendt
Never Talk to Strangers is a great book to introduce or build on the concept of personal safety in a fun and funny way for younger children. It highlights different situations that students may find themselves in, and uses animals and funny rhymes to illustrate the importance of being safe by not talking to strangers. It also shows examples of a safe stranger (someone you parent introduces to you that they know), and an unsafe stranger (someone that no one knows that you meet). This is a great b ...more
Candis
Jun 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
This is an old (1967) book reprinted verbatim for contemporary (2000) children. Read it with the kids: the eldest thought it was just silly, the middle liked the repeating bold lines ("never talk to strangers."), and the wee liked the timbre of the rhymes. What they came away with? Don't talk to ginormous wild animals that lurk when you go about your day to day, unless your dad knows them. Hm. Kind of defeats the purpose. As a general story, this is weak; as a life lesson text, this is the pits.
Nydia Munoz
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: safety
This book teaches children the importance of only talking to people that they know. The children also get different scenarios that they can be exposed to and the also show how the children should go about the situation. The children also learn how to act when they are introduced to someone new. They learn to be polite and friendly only to those people that they know their name.

Learning Extension: Let children practice with one another how to introduce themselves properly and also how and what to
Kelly Workman
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book teaches the important lesson of not talking to strangers in a way that is silly for young children. It also teaches the difference between people who your friends and family introduce you to, and people who truly are strangers. This book is a great book complete with colorful illustrations, and I will always keep this book in the back of my mind for teaching, parenting, and nannying purposes.
Gina Erb
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Never Talk to Strangers teaches young children that they should be careful who they talk to and never talk to somebody that they don't know, unless they are introduced to them through their parents or friends. This is a great book for children from the ages of three to kindergarten. The rhyming withing the book makes it a fun book to read aloud.
Cornelius
Dec 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For kindergarten children, this is an excellent book to read to teach children about who and not to talk too. I would use this book in the classroom to as a read aloud to discuss with children different situations that they may encounter a stranger and what to do. The book is filled with colors and shapes to inform children in a kid way that strangers come in all shapes, colors, and forms.
Kristina Bulluck
I think that this book would be good for younger children becaause it teaches them to not talk to someone that they do not know. The ryhmes were a little silly but it could just help to lighten the situation.

LE: We would talk about how to introduce yourself to someone that you are meeting for the first time.
Alissa Haley
This is by far one of the most memorable books from my childhood. This book is a great introduction to the important concept of "stranger danger," and does so in a way that gets through to kids without necessarily scaring them..
Cassi Dick
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love this book because it teaches children all the scenarios they could fint themselves in with strangers. This would be a good book to read to students more than once to make sure they understand the importance of not talking to strangers. I would read ages 5-9.
Mary Tauzier
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My children loved this book. They are adults now and still think it is a great read. I love the way it rhymes...and teaches children to...'not talk to strangers'. The rhyming makes for easy reading by very young children. And added touch is teaching a sense of humor.
Kate
Sep 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
Not only was this my favorite book to have my mother read to me, but my favorite past time was to talk to all the strangers on our block. After babbling with strangers I would repeat, "never talk to strangers!" as a warning before going on my merry way.
Hayley Bowman
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a good, fun book to get the moral across of never talking to strangers. It is an easy read, for those beginning readers and it is fun and yes the characters may be fictional but the morals and what is being talked about is facts.
Holliann
Mar 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I loved this book as a child, but now with my own children it is funny to see how they react to it. They think that every animal at Sea World is a stranger, not the guy that they don't know. It is funny!
Tricia
Jul 15, 2009 rated it it was ok
Mixed feelings on this book that makes light rhymes about stranger danger. Not so much written as a message as a rhyming playful ditty about a serious topic of life or death. Am I being too dramatic? Sigh!
Tara
Sep 15, 2008 rated it it was ok
Nice little rhyming story about stranger danger
Maki
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Mom read this to me as a kid. I loved the illustrations and the poetry.
Kristina
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
although this book is dated, I thought that it was cute. the illustrations were good and the book kept all 3 of my kids attention. I can even remember one of my teachers reading this book.
Nicolas
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kid-s-books
This is cute, but it takes a pretty serious issue very lightly.
Danielle
Aug 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Apparently there was a TV special based on this book, but I don't remember it. I remember the book, though, and it holds up surprisingly well, decades later.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Thanksgiving Mice!
  • Wings on Things
  • Under, Over, by the Clover: What Is a Preposition?
  • The Book that Jack Wrote
  • Maurice Sendak's Really Rosie Starring the Nutshell Kids
  • Sister Anne's Hands
  • Popcorn
  • The Halloween Play
  • Don't Be Silly, Mrs. Millie!
  • Chicken Little