Start by marking “Anatomy of Movement” as Want to Read:
Anatomy of Movement

Anatomy of Movement

Anatomy of Movement is a dynamic, integrated approach to the study of the physical structures of the musculoskeletal system and their functional relationship to the movements of the human body. The emphasis is on basic human anatomy as it relates to external body movement. In clear and concise text illustrated with more than a thousand graphic drawings, the author takes th ...more
Published November 1st 1997 by W.B. Saunders Company (first published 1993)

Tanuki Wise
Apr 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Seems good to use with clients and for demonstrative purposes, but there are better (dynamic) anatomy texts.
It feels a little simplistic which may actually cause more confusion, especially since similar areas of the body are covered in different areas.
Lydia
Feb 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health, yoga
Currently I am reading this book for a yoga teacher training course, so this review will be in the format of notes to myself for the TT.

Foreword:
I like that the Foreword of this book was written by a Director of a French School of Orthopedics and Massage - he understands both anatomy and how to take care of the body, with practical guides and information (as opposed to more theoretical books)

Chapter 1:

-easy to understand dra
Abby
Jan 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yoga, non-fiction
Excellent, dense and technical, this book looks at the inner workings of the skeleton, joints and muscles as they pertain to human movement. Discussions of how movement relates to organs and other parts of human anatomy are not included, which focuses the book on just movement. If you're looking for how movement can affect internal organs, look elsewhere. But if you're looking for a very thorough explanation of how the body moves, this is your book.

Highly recommended for yoga students/teachers.
Jen Marin
Sep 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am reading this book again because it is just such a wonderful perspective on anatomy from a very functional perspective. It probably isn't the last time I will read it, either. I think this one is a must read for any manual or movement therapist.
Sherrie Gingery
Feb 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Another perfect book for anyone interested in movement. The descriptions of how the body works to create movement and the types of movement are detailed and easy to understand. A must-have for massage therapists and fitness instructors.

This book is so informative that I am never not reading it.
Abhilasha Purwar
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Wish the diagram were colored but the description and explanation is spot on.

I have read three books on Anatomy from a Yoga perspective but fairly applicable to understand all sorts of physical exercises or movements, and my personal ranking is as follows :

#1. Concise Book of Yoga Anatomy by Jo Ann Staugaard-Jone.
#2. Anatomy of Movement by Blandine Calais-Germain
#3. Yoga Anatomy by Leslie Kaminoff

#1 is Phenomenal. Lays great emphasis on all aspects of musculoskeletal system like ligaments, t
Jake Barnett
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Overall, Pretty solid.

Good diagrams, pretty broad descriptions and drawings of some portions but a great book to get the general idea. Of course other books will have more intimate explorations of singular joint/muscle mechanisms, but this book is great for the reader wanting to get a wholistic idea of the human musculoskeletal system.

Morgan
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
One of the best books for understanding anatomy from a non-medical perspective. Plenty of clear illustrations interspersed with concise and practical text to help decipher the joints and muscles of the human body. If you move, read this book!
David Papp
Sep 27, 2018 rated it liked it
It gives you a good overview of the skeletal muscles, tendons and ligaments of the body.

Nothing special, just a good overview, if you are looking for something which focuses more on a specific topic like joints or how you can train the muscles then this is not the book for you.

However, I’d still recommend this to every trainer and coach, to get a general idea of where are those muscles.
Jordan Balsamo
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
just the best book of movement I have read.
Lee Ann Haluska
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: dancers, yogis, martial artists
Some diagram and texts placements are confusing because they are scattered around the pages. Overall a great breakdown of the muscles and skeleton into smaller working chunks of knowledge. I've taken medical anatomy and physiology so this was more a study in motion of the body for me. I wish it had more info on ailments or mis-alignments and how to fix them or how they arise from skeletal/muscular deficiencies etc. Also one or two color diagrams would be nice...
Geoff Sebesta
Dec 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. Not only is the information presented in a logical and fascinating way, but the illustrations are so incredibly good and sensitive that this is, no joke one of the two best artistic anatomy books I've ever seen. In any artistic or medical situation I make sure I have my copy of this book with me.

This is seriously one of the most useful books you can ever possibly purchase.
Ayman Sieny
Feb 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book on body mechanics. The author a ballet practitioner, provides hundreds of illustrations of anatomical parts of the body including bones, muscle, ligaments, and the possible movements for each part of the body. A great reference for anyone into sports and has a desire to better understand the body.
Paola
Jul 24, 2007 is currently reading it
This book is from the required reading list for my yoga teacher training class. While I haven't read the entire book (we still haven't studied the forearm and the hand), I must say this book's drawings and attention to detail make it an excellent resource for those studying anatomy for dance or yoga.
Christy
Dec 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yoga-study
The thrill-ride of the summer!

Jokes aside, this is an excellent reference I would recommend to anyone. The depth of explanation and detail and the precision of the diagrams make this a volume I will surely hold onto.
Kimmy
May 17, 2008 rated it liked it
This book might be more of a browser that I'll revisit from time to time. It's incredibly well laid-out, discussing each part of the body and the mechanics of its movement. Fascinating stuff these flesh sacks we walk around in all day.
Jitka Egressy
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book for every student of anatomy. I love illustrations - easy to undestand with them.

I can highly reccomend this book. You will learn not only basic anatomy, but also how body works in movements. Great source for every personal trainer!!
Alessandra
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art, anatomy, dance, reference
This is a wonderful anatomy book. It was written for dancers to help them avoid injury, but it was brought to my attention by a physical therapist and I find it helpful in my art for understanding human movement.
Amy
Apr 03, 2009 marked it as to-read
Recommend by my pilates instructor. Flipped through it and it looks AWESOME. Thinking of ordering it from B&N, I want to have it, and it's not available from the library.
Sandy
This book was written by a dancer for dancers - it is a great book for anyone interested in movement as it shows the muscles as they 'are in motion'. Terrific reference book!
Fotis Chatzinicolaou
Short and to the point
Maureen
Dec 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
consume slowly as it is dense. Great reference text for yoga.
Ron Avitzur
Nov 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
"Short, deep muscles (e.g., those inserting on the vertebrae or foot bones) tend to be responsible for precise, small-scale adjustments rather than gross movements."
Debbie
very helpful in my Feldenkrais sstudies.
John
Jan 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anatomy
A great reference for understanding anatomy and muscle structure.
cathy
Jun 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fitnessmovement
Great need-to-know guide. Use this when studying pilates and yoga. Excellent reference tool when used with a more traditional anatomy book.
Sara
Jul 31, 2012 rated it liked it
This one was a bit difficult for me, without have a strong anatomical knowledge... I think it's better suited for those who already have know most of the joints, bones, etc... Good book overall
Cassandra
Aug 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: bodyworkers
I'm re-reading this in preparation for more Pilates training. Great book for those who want to know more about the anatomy of movement!
The Badger
Jul 07, 2016 rated it liked it
I've used this book twice--once in art class, and once in dance class. It's not fantastic, but it clearly illustrates the basics of movement.
Rospoicha
Aug 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
clear explanations of the basics of anatomy/myology
succinct and elegant illustrations.
  • Trail Guide to the Body: How to locate the body's muscles, bones and more
  • Yoga for Wellness: Healing with the Timeless Teachings of Viniyoga
  • Anatomy Trains: Myofascial Meridians for Manual and Movement Therapists
  • Teaching Yoga: Exploring the Teacher-Student Relationship
  • Anatomy of Hatha Yoga: A Manual for Students, Teachers, and Practitioners
  • The Anatomy Coloring Book
  • The Language Of Yoga: Complete A To Y Guide To Āsana Names, Sanskrit Terms, And Chants
  • Travell  Simons' Myofascial Pain and Dysfunction: The Trigger Point Manual: Two Volume Set: Second Edition/Volume 1 and First Edition/Volume 2
  • 30 Essential Yoga Poses: For Beginning Students and Their Teachers
  • Yoga for Depression: A Compassionate Guide to Relieve Suffering Through Yoga
  • The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice
  • Jivamukti Yoga: Practices for Liberating Body and Soul
  • Yoga: The Iyengar Way
  • Awakening the Spine
  • Yin Yoga: Outline of a Quiet Practice
  • Yoga Tradition (REV Ed)
  • Light on Prãnãyãma: The Yogic Art of Breathing