Start by marking “Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #1)

Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #1)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  2,365 Ratings  ·  272 Reviews
Until three years ago, Dixie Hemingway was a deputy with the Sarasota County Sherriff's Department in southwest Florida. Then came a tragic accident. Now Dixie's a pet-sitter on Siesta Key, a lush, exotic barrier island where the people tend to be rich, suntanned, and tolerant of one another's quirks.
As Dixie tried to get her life back in order, pet-sitting is the perfect
Published December 27th 2005 by Minotaur Books (first published 2005)

Anne Hawn Smith
I wasn't as fond of this book as I thought I might be. The plot is simple and fits the cozy mystery genre, but I got tired of all of the posturing the author does throughout the book. Dixie was a Sarasota Sheriff's Deputy until her husband and daughter were killed and she became emotionally unstable. She gets embroiled in an investigation when one of the cats she cares for is found cowering in a corner and a man is found duck taped to the cat's water bowl. Dixie has an uneasy feeling about the w ...more
Tari
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome intrigue

This had me suspecting but still unsure until the end. A little edgier and I probably wouldn't really call it a cozy just a heads up. I did enjoy it a lot and am anxious to read the next one because it has a dachshund in it.
Jonathan
Really 4.5 stars, but I rounded up.

I simply couldn't put this book down; it was THAT good! I started this last night and went to bed with 80 pages read, but every single spare second I got today I picked it back up. Filled with stunning descriptions and chilling scenes this book was by far a winner!

Dixie was one of the realest, most relatable MCs I've read in a while. She was blunt, yet Ms. Clement did a wonderful job of making her perfectly realistic and in no way was Dixie annoying. The other
Bird
Jan 11, 2011 marked it as didnt-finish  ·  review of another edition
I'm not rating this since I only got about 15% of the way through. But I can definitively say that I'm relieved I got this on paperbackswap rather than actually paying for it.

My issue is that the writing is just bizarre.

Example #1 (talking about cats being indifferent): "Then they'll raise their tails to show you their little puckered anuses and walk away." (p5)

Example #2 (while grooming a client's cat): "I turned Fred so that his anus faced her while I brushed the hair around it." (p48)

Um, rea
Tracy
Nov 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
I abandoned this book (and author) with no regrets.

Reason #1: Apparently the main character has some sort of big bad in her background that caused her to leave the police force and become a pet-sitter. There were hints and occasional surface explanations, but nothing that explained much. If this is to be a defining aspect of why the main character is who she is, then explain it - don't make me extrapolate.

Reason #2: Weird writing style. Do I really care about cat anuses or that the 'blessed air
Rebecca
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cozy-mystery, dogs, cats
Wow..i really did not like this book..for several reasons..i do not care for foul language in a cozy and there was a fair amount in this book..it was fairly depressing ..and i didn't care for the plot or the outcome..i will definitely not continue with this series
Chaitra
I think I liked Dixie enough to continue the series, but it was hard to believe that she would keep so much close to her chest while also actively providing information to the police. Don't killers get off on technicalities such as obstruction? As a former sheriff's deputy, I'd think she would know enough not to try that.

There's also a lot of facts about cats which especially don't concern my cat. Anxious and needy, my cat. And it eats anything and everything, no turning his nose up at anything
Ellen
"Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter"

Dixie Hemingway finds herself cat/pet sitting at this stage of her life. This was not her first choice as a career. She was a deputy sheriff in Sarasota Florida. The unfortunately events that led to this change of careers she has yet to fully cope with. Dixie had a caring and loving husband with an adorable little girl, Christy. Both are gone and she's left with an emptiness and an ache in her heart that needs to be mended and filled.

Dixie's way of mending is to
Michele
Dec 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
I loved this! It was a great story...great characters....but it takes place on Siesta Key in Sarasota, Florida. I used to go down to Siesta Key and visit my grandparents and know many of the places and recognize the roads and restaurants.
Erin L
Oct 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
oh, the problems with this book. Our main character enjoys describing other female characters in the worst possible way for the most part. Or she has nothing to say about them. And men are just delightfully standard (and dull) accompaniments to the awful women.

I was excited about some gay representation, but it really didn't go beyond rather cardboard interactions with the main character. This could have been much more interesting.

I was so bored by the mystery that after 100 pages, I flipped ahe
☺Trish
Apr 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Curiosity Killed The Cat Sitter by Blaize Clement is an admirable introduction to the Dixie Hemingway Mystery cozy series. Reading Duplicity Dogged the Dachshund next.
Diane
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Genre: Cozy mystery, who-done-it, female sleuth.

How I found this? I was looking for something like the Lily Bard series by Charlaine Harris (which I've read an embarrassing number of times. I also wanted something read by Narrator Julia Gibson, who's voice I'm kind of obsessed with.

Don't let the cover fool you. I found myself tearing up at some points. Daisy used to be a deputy until a tragedy happened. Now she is a pet sitter and takes that very seriously. NO, she didn't get raped. There's en
Debra
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Don't let the cutesy title fool you. This is much more than a cozy mystery! My reviews don't contain descriptions of the character or a synopsis of the plot. You can get that from the book jacket or Amazon's review. Suffice it to say, the protagonist, Dixie Hemingway, Professional Pet Sitter, Ex Sheriff's Deputy, in Siesta Key, Florida, is involved in some pretty fascinating crimes for someone you would think is in a relatively safe occupation. I have only read two of her books, but they keep ge ...more
Linda
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: from-library, cozy
I found the second book in the series and so wanted to read the first one before digging in to that one. I'm not crazy about cats but I appreciate the love and care that Dixie Hemingway offers to feline and canine clients. So does a cat owner who ends up murdered but not before ensuring in many ways that Dixie will be involved with her cat.

Dixie comes by being a crime solver naturally. She used to work for the Sheriff's Department before a horrible tragedy. It leaves her scarred and broken but e
Zoe
This was a fabulous read. I'm not sure it falls entirely under the "cozy mystery" category, since it contains some explicit language and gory scenes, but personally I'm 100% fine with that. The story was interesting and fun to follow, although the mystery wasn't original but I was surprised at the revelation of the culprit in the end. The character of Dixie is real; she's a woman with many fears, insecurities but also strengths, trying to move on with her life after losing her husband and little ...more
CindyLulu
Sep 08, 2009 rated it it was ok
Okay, I am a mystery - suspense fan. Love a good mystery, but this wasn't even a great mystery. I rather find out who was "knocked off" when the body is discovered; not when a writer says: "This will be the last time I see her/him alive". Ms. Clement has done this type of mystery writing "discovery" in two of her books. I recommend her "Duplicity Dogged the Dachshund" at least you don't know the Who, What, Where, When, Why, and How, until Dixie herself stumbles upon it.

The plot in Curiosity Kill
Becky Gray
May 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I have been reading a lot of best seller lit books recently and thought I needed a break. So, I picked up this cozy little mystery. It really didn't do the trick - either my tastes have changed or it just wasn't that great of a book. Struggled through the first half, fairly interested in the last half and the ending was flat. There are more books in this series but I'm just not that invested in the character to find out what happens.
Elia
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book should have been a lot of fun. I like murder mysteries and I like animals, perfect match, right? Nope. The author kept annoying me with her choice of language. It was just unnecessary and started to bog down the whole story. And I don't mean swearing, I can handle that. :)
Nancy
Jun 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Some of the language and situations were more graphic than I preferred, but the story itself was interesting.
Gwen Mayo
Aug 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Entertaining. Blaize Clement has a great sense of place. I love the Florida Gulf Coast and Dixie makes me feel like I'm there.
Meg
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Predictable yet pleasurable. A perfectly fine beach read, even with no beach in sight.
Linda Puente
Sep 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
The cover is comical but the murder is grisly. Not quite a cozy, this tale has a collection of interesting characters who are a little outside the typical community while being quite believable.
Whitaker
Dec 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
A really great book shows us how everything is great and worth to die for
Catherine
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book but I did find to be some bad language and explicit words. But overall it was a great book.
Dixie Hemingway knows first-hand that many things in life are worse than a dirty litter box. Once happy as a Florida sheriff's deputy, she lost everything when senseless tragedy shattered her world. Now Dixie laces up her sneakers, grabs some kitty treats, and copes with one day at a time as a pet-sitter. Her investigations deal strictly with "crimes" such as who peed on the bed
Nancy
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The minute she said she never “felt like a widow” because she was too young, my heart dropped. I had hoped this time they author understood - and in some ways she seemed to get it, but anyway.

There were a couple of gratuitous eff-bombs that irritated me, and not because of the word, but because they served no purpose. In one instance (I think the first), it came out of no where, the character wasn’t angry, but there it was.

Other than that, I assume this will became a few book series, enjoyable
Corinne
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Myrna
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5 stars. It was ok. It felt like a cozy, so I was continually surprised when Dixie swore or when Clement wrote that a dill pickle was the size of a man's dick. Actually, in this case I think it would have been better had she written it as a cozy because it felt like she was trying too hard to make it grittier by randomly throwing in a swear word or raunchier description here and there. There is nothing wrong with a cozy; in fact, a well-written cozy is better than a poorly written thriller. ...more
Joan
Jun 23, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Unbearable. Thought it would be great summer audio read: local setting, a mystery, and cats! What's not to love? One, the reader. If she were any more perky, we could claim justifiable...well not that, but not finishing even the first disc, yes. Story line...saw no hint of one.

Snagglepuss was very lucky with the chic, low voiced sitters who came half way around the world to care for him. He always insisted the apartment in Paris had nothing to do with it!
Emma
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This woman is an absolute hoot. She doesn't really care what people think of her. She's wonderful at taking care of animals and actually knows some things about them. I absolutely feel for her with the loss of her family but at the same time she is a wonderful person who deserves to be loved like that again. I guess we'll see what happens with Guidry.
Amy
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun read with interesting characters. It is definitely a cozy mystery and is on the lighter side. If you are reading authors that edge more toward the dark this is a great read to bring you back into the lighter side of the mystery genre. I do plan on adding the remainder of the series into my author rotation.
  • Sit, Stay, Slay (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #1)
  • Dead Canaries Don't Sing (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #1)
  • The Cat, the Quilt and the Corpse (A Cats In Trouble Mystery, #1)
  • Curiosity Thrilled the Cat (A Magical Cats Mystery, #1)
  • Whiskey on the Rocks (A Whiskey Mattimoe Mystery #1)
  • Murder Past Due (Cat in the Stacks, #1)
  • Double-Booked for Death (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #1)
  • The Big Kitty (Sunny & Shadow Mystery, #1)
  • Hounding the Pavement (Dog Walker Mysteries, #1)
  • The Anteater of Death (A Gunn Zoo Mystery, #1)
  • A Tisket, A Tasket, A Fancy Stolen Casket (A Callie Parrish Mystery #1)
  • Wreath of Deception (Craft Corner, #1)
  • A Crafty Killing (Victoria Square, #1)
  • The Long Quiche Goodbye (A Cheese Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Paws for Murder (Pet Boutique #1)
  • Die Buying (A Mall Cop Mystery, #1)
  • Quickstep to Murder (A Ballroom Dance Mystery #1)
  • Delicious and Suspicious (A Memphis BBQ Mystery, #1)
My passion is people. I think people are absolutely magnificent. Not the power-hungry heads of governments or churches or corporations who justify all kinds of horror if it suits their goals, but the rest of us. In spite of the awful things some human beings do in order to control other human beings, most people are peacefully going about their own business, and I applaud that. Families are the ba ...more
More about Blaize Clement

A Dixie Hemingway Mystery (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Duplicity Dogged the Dachshund (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #2)
  • Even Cat Sitters Get the Blues (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #3)
  • Cat Sitter on a Hot Tin Roof (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #4)
  • Raining Cat Sitters and Dogs (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #5)
  • Cat Sitter Among the Pigeons (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #6)
  • The Cat Sitter's Pajamas (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #7)
  • The Cat Sitter's Cradle (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #8)
  • The Cat Sitter's Nine Lives (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #9)
  • The Cat Sitter's Whiskers (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #10)
  • The Cat Sitter and the Canary (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Last Passenger
  • The Thief
  • From the Cradle
  • Intrusion
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Two to Die For (Lucy Kincaid, #12.5; Max Revere, #3.5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To the Grave (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • If Tomorrow Comes
    $12.74 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Into the Darkest Corner
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Dragon's Triangle (The Shipwreck Adventures #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The End of Temperance Dare
  • Skewed
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unintended Consequences (Innocent Prisoners Project #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Girl Number One
  • No Time To Blink
  • Long May She Reign
  • What You Wish For
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Detachment (John Rain, #7)
  • Don't Get Caught
  • Disappearance at Devil's Rock
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Fallout
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Boy Who Stole from the Dead (Nadia Tesla, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Kindred (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery, #5)
  • The Informationist
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Local Girl Missing
  • Finding Jake
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Violent Crimes (Amanda Jaffe, #5)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Temporary Agent (The Agent #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Punishment (Detective Barnes, #1)
  • Terminal Rage
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Lonely Resurrection (John Rain #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Killer Ascendant (John Rain #6)
  • A Deadly Game: The Untold Story of the Scott Peterson Investigation
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Sunday Silence (Frieda Klein, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Last Queen of England (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Graveyard of Memories (John Rain, #8)
  • Pretty Girls
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • Before You Leap
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Strike (Dewey Andreas, #6)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
  • The Tenth Justice
    $7.74 $1.99
  • An Invisible Client
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Eight
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Sin and Swoon (Blood and Bone, #2)
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stay Dead (Elise Sandburg #2)
  • The Company of Demons
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Fifth Letter
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sacred and Profane (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Altar Girl (Nadia Tesla #0.5)
  • Darkness
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Redemption Games (John Rain #4)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Dry (Aaron Falk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Pretty Little Liars (Pretty Little Liars, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • City of the Lost (Casey Duncan, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • City of Stairs (The Divine Cities, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Case Histories (Jackson Brodie #1)
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Crow Trap (Vera Stanhope, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Florida Roadkill (Serge Storms Mystery, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Step on a Crack (Michael Bennett, #1)
  • If I Run (If I Run #1)
  • Jar City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Power Down (Dewey Andreas, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Poacher's Son (Mike Bowditch, #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Accused (Rosato & DiNunzio, #1)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Edge of Apocalypse (The End, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Map of Bones (Sigma Force, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Duty To The Dead (Bess Crawford, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Baltimore Blues  (Tess Monaghan, #1)
  • Tips for Living
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Boy from Reactor 4 (Nadia Tesla, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Lost Empress (Genealogical Crime Mystery, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Hounded (An Andy Carpenter Novel)
  • Girls on Fire
  • The Back Road
  • The Other Widow
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Suckers (Jack Daniels and Associates)
    $3.99 $0.99
“They say God never gives us more than we can handle, but sometimes I think God has overestimated what I can take.” 115 likes
“Perfume companies ought to bottle the smell of crisp bacon. Forget pheromones. I’ll bet a woman with a little spot of bacon grease behind her ears would attract every male within a five-mile radius.” 20 likes